Top 10 Most Fabulous Key Fobs

Started by Jawad, September 16, 2006, 07:48:49 PM

Raza

I believe Porsche is partially owned by VWAG, and I know Porsche partially owns VWAG.  They recently upped their stock.

They've historically shared quite a bit. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 18, 2006, 06:46:22 AM
Saxonyron, does the fob above look like your A4 key?

They changed the fob when they facelifted the A4.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Champ on September 18, 2006, 07:45:47 AM
OK not really related to key fobs, but what connection does Porsche have with VW/Audi, and don't say nothing, because they share window switches and key fobs. (I always thought Porsche was a stand alone company, or at least not related to VW/Audi)

Being a Valet and working with hundreds of key fobs a week, I'd like to think I know something about them. My favorite key to deal with was the Lexus key, not the newer ones, but the 2000-2005 era. They had a key, and in the handle of the key were the lock/unlock buttons. GM's key fob they have been using forever actually worked pretty good. Ford's was terrible because the pictures faded off all the buttons, had to guess which was lock/unlock.

*edit* Pic :)

The new keyless ignition on newer cars is messing with the valet industry... so many people take their keys with them, and we don't check to see if it is keyless because we assume if it's running the key is with it. Usually if a car is off when the customer leaves, I promptly ask them if they took the key.

We have a key like this on our 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. The Jeep Liberty 3.7 and the Dodge Durango Limited we rented both had the same key. I personally don't like it and prefer the standard key and separate remote like on my Intrepid.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

thewizard16

I don't mind the all-in-one keys, but they tend to be a bit more bulky than a normal key.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza on September 17, 2006, 09:30:51 AM
These offer better protection, unless you're talking about one that is still laser cut, like a 911 key.  I personally dig the fob.  The SmartKey was always a quandary for anyone who saw it--no one believed me that the key was infra-red.  They all took out the valet key and said "Oh, that's the key!" then I would have to explain that that's the key for the trunk and glovebox. 

I do like my current switchblade key, though. 

Ahh yes...I've fooled a few people before with that.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TBR

Quote from: thewizard16 on September 20, 2006, 04:16:04 PM
I don't mind the all-in-one keys, but they tend to be a bit more bulky than a normal key.

Exactly, the Durango has a key fob and I don't carry it but these all-in-one keys would force me to.

thewizard16

Quote from: TBR on September 20, 2006, 07:49:14 PM
Exactly, the Durango has a key fob and I don't carry it but these all-in-one keys would force me to.
Why on earth don't you carry the key fob? I can't stand not to have keyless entry.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

SVT_Power

Quote from: thewizard16 on September 20, 2006, 09:27:05 PM
Why on earth don't you carry the key fob? I can't stand not to have keyless entry.

I find it to be one of the most useful things as well. To go along with the keypad thing to open the door which I use every once in a while
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

thewizard16

Quote from: M_power on September 20, 2006, 09:30:02 PM
I find it to be one of the most useful things as well. To go along with the keypad thing to open the door which I use every once in a while
I wouldn't mind one of those in the rare instance that I might have locked my keys in the car. I haven't done that since I've had keyless entry, but still, it's kind of an interesting feature.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

93JC

I think you're all stupid for liking keyless entry. It's useless. You're going to have to open the door to get into it anyway, so what does it matter if you fumble in your pocket for a piece of plastic with buttons on it or a metal key that you have to stick in a slot and turn?

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on September 20, 2006, 09:44:40 PM
I think you're all stupid for liking keyless entry. It's useless. You're going to have to open the door to get into it anyway, so what does it matter if you fumble in your pocket for a piece of plastic with buttons on it or a metal key that you have to stick in a slot and turn?

And that's why almost every car these days comes with it?
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

93JC

Almost every car comes with ABS, traction control, power windows/door locks/mirrors, etc.: doesn't mean I like them either.

For future reference, know that I think anyone who doesn't think the same things I do is dumb, to a certain extent.

Is this arrogant, yes. For the most part am I right? Yes.

thewizard16

Quote from: 93JC on September 20, 2006, 09:53:34 PM
Almost every car comes with ABS, traction control, power windows/door locks/mirrors, etc.: doesn't mean I like them either.

For future reference, know that I think anyone who doesn't think the same things I do is dumb, to a certain extent.

You're about as right as the people who refuse modern medicine because "nature will take care of it". I'm not trying to be cruel, but most people that don't like technology are generally either afraid of it or can't understand it. I don't think you're either, and you use a computer and internet, so you're not an extremist, so I can't imagine where you get off telling people they're stupid for using the advances we've made in safety and convienence over the years. ABS and traction control can be valuable safety devices. Power windows are a hell of a lot more convenient than having to stop and get in my back seat to roll up my windows on a hot day when it suddenly starts to rain. I can't even imagine what problem you have with power mirrors. As to keyless entry, I'll use the same arguments I've used in the past (probably with you). It's nice when you're carrying things out not to have to set things down, get the keys out of your pocket, and fumble around to open the trunk. I much prefer having the fob in my hand already, and tapping the button and having my trunk open itself. I also like being able to open my car doors when the locks freeze in the winter and I couldn't turn my key in the slot if I wanted to. (Literally the reason I installed keyless entry/start on the 92 Camry.) I'm not saying it's a necessity, but it's convenient, it's not useless, and I can't understand why you think you're more enlightened than the rest of us for not being fond of technology or convenience. (And yes, I get a little more annoyed by this than most due to the background I've had with engineering, computers, and robotics.)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

SVT_Power

Quote from: 93JC on September 20, 2006, 09:53:34 PM

Maybe you are blind and ignorant but maybe there are reasons to why almost every car comes with those things?

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on September 20, 2006, 09:44:40 PM

Like many of the other things you mentioned, it's a matter of convenience.  Just like the key in pocket thing.  Say you have to load your trunk after a trip to the market.  With a standard key, you have to open your driver's door with the key, go into the car, and then pop the trunk.  With many keyless entry systems, you can simply press and hold the trunk button for 3 seconds and the trunk pops open.  Now, you're talking about an overall 10 seconds saved, at most, but say you're fumbling around, drop the keys, it's raining, it's snowing (or you're having one of your Canada days, where you can't leave any skin exposed because it's -72C), or something like that.

And, on top of that, it keeps clumsy people from accidentally keying their own car. 

Do you have a microwave?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Quote from: thewizard16 on September 20, 2006, 10:05:30 PM
You're about as right as the people who refuse modern medicine because "nature will take care of it". I'm not trying to be cruel, but most people that don't like technology are generally either afraid of it or can't understand it. I don't think you're either,

Good.

Quoteand you use a computer and internet, so you're not an extremist,

True, so far.

Quoteso I can't imagine where you get off telling people they're stupid for using the advances we've made in safety and convienence over the years.

Because keyless entry is not a convenience or advance in safety!

QuoteABS and traction control can be valuable safety devices.

They can be. They're usually a waste.

QuotePower windows are a hell of a lot more convenient than having to stop and get in my back seat to roll up my windows on a hot day when it suddenly starts to rain.

I never roll down my back windows, so I don't have that problem.

QuoteI can't even imagine what problem you have with power mirrors.

It's superfluous. Why do you need a set of electric motors to move a mirror? It takes you two seconds to do with a manual knob. Besides, how often do you move your mirrors anyway? Unless you have several drivers using the car regularly, once. Ever.

QuoteAs to keyless entry, I'll use the same arguments I've used in the past (probably with you). It's nice when you're carrying things out not to have to set things down, get the keys out of your pocket, and fumble around to open the trunk.

You have to fumble to get the fob out of your pocket anyway!

QuoteI much prefer having the fob in my hand already, and tapping the button and having my trunk open itself.

So what's keeping you from having the key in your hand already, walking up to the trunk, sticking the key in a slot, turning it, and having the trunk open itself?

QuoteI also like being able to open my car doors when the locks freeze in the winter and I couldn't turn my key in the slot if I wanted to. (Literally the reason I installed keyless entry/start on the 92 Camry.)

Damn dude, where do you live? Never had that problem, myself. Maybe your car is a piece?

(:lol: :tounge:)

QuoteI'm not saying it's a necessity, but it's convenient, it's not useless, and I can't understand why you think you're more enlightened than the rest of us for not being fond of technology or convenience.

It's not convenient though. Explain the convenience of using a fob to pop open a trunk over using a key instead. You tried earlier, but you made the assumption you'd have the fob in hand, which invalidates your claim of convenience, because you could just as easily get the key out before hand.

Quote(And yes, I get a little more annoyed by this than most due to the background I've had with engineering, computers, and robotics.)

Maybe I get more annoyed than most at this because of the background I've had with engineering, computers and robotics. There are too many unrealistic nerds I know who think every whizbang gadget they think up is a saving grace for humanity when it's nothing but a trinket that is significantly more complex and expensive than the old way of doing the task with marginal gains in performance.

93JC

Quote from: Raza on September 21, 2006, 04:36:08 AM
Like many of the other things you mentioned, it's a matter of convenience.? Just like the key in pocket thing.? Say you have to load your trunk after a trip to the market.? With a standard key, you have to open your driver's door with the key, go into the car, and then pop the trunk.?

:confused: Don't you people have key locks on your trunk lids? Walk up to the trunk, stick the key in the lock, turn it, let the trunk open itself.

QuoteWith many keyless entry systems, you can simply press and hold the trunk button for 3 seconds and the trunk pops open.? Now, you're talking about an overall 10 seconds saved, at most, but say you're fumbling around, drop the keys, it's raining, it's snowing (or you're having one of your Canada days, where you can't leave any skin exposed because it's -72C), or something like that.

Say your fumbling around to get the fob out of your pocket, it's raining, you drop it in a puddle, the fob stops working. Let's say this hypothetical wanker is so reliant on his useless little fob that he doesn't have a key with him.

Well, now he's fucked.

QuoteAnd, on top of that, it keeps clumsy people from accidentally keying their own car.

Clumsy people would probably break the fob anyway. :tounge:

QuoteDo you have a microwave?

I do, it's about 30 years old, and I use it very seldomly for popcorn. See, it's convenient though, 'cause otherwise I'd have to use the big oven, which takes a while to warm up and probably wouldn't do a good job, or go out in the back yard and start a fire in my firepit.

omicron

On a side note, how awesome are firepits?!:rockon:

850CSi

My Key fob is a little different than the BMW one they showed...

^You can take the key out of it, I'm guessing in case the battery dies (although that's very unlikely because it recharges when it's in the ignition) so you can get in.

I like it more than the other key fobs I've seen, although it looks a little cheap and plasticky compared to some of the others at the beginning of this thread. :lol:

omicron

We bought a firepit and a chiminea at the same time, and they both come with grilles to allow for cooking. Fish over the firepit = excellent.

SPIN party?

850CSi

Quote from: omicron on September 21, 2006, 10:10:01 AM
We bought a firepit and a chiminea at the same time, and they both come with grilles to allow for cooking. Fish over the firepit = excellent.

SPIN party?

Firepits are the shit.

omicron

Champ

Quote from: 850CSi on September 21, 2006, 09:57:42 AM
My Key fob is a little different than the BMW one they showed...

^You can take the key out of it, I'm guessing in case the battery dies (although that's very unlikely because it recharges when it's in the ignition) so you can get in.

I like it more than the other key fobs I've seen, although it looks a little cheap and plasticky compared to some of the others at the beginning of this thread. :lol:
It doesn't start the car.  Most likely just unlocks it.

TBR

Quote from: thewizard16 on September 20, 2006, 09:27:05 PM

Because I already have 6 keys and a jump-drive on my key ring, the last thing I need is a bulky key fob.

SVT_Power

This is just like the one I have

Looks and feels cheap, but what the hell. It works

850CSi

Quote from: Champ on September 21, 2006, 12:41:10 PM
It doesn't start the car.  Most likely just unlocks it.

The key, yes, because the E90 is push button, it doesn't have a conventional key hole.

gasoline

Cherokee won this one. I am a convert--although I still like gadgets; not longer do I think they'll save the world.
-----------------------------------

Raza

I don't think I can open the trunk to my car from the outside without use of the trunk button on the fob. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Champ

Quote from: 850CSi on September 21, 2006, 09:53:28 PM
The key, yes, because the E90 is push button, it doesn't have a conventional key hole.
Yea that sucks.

There is still a little hole to put the fob into right?  What Infiniti did, was to make a little flap that at the end of it you could also put in the standard key to use the car.

Then that thing can also double as a valet key.  I thought it was poor design on BMW's part.

P.S. don't ever get your fob wet while you are out.  This happened to a guy with a M-B at our valet place.  A storm came through and soaked all our keys, and his stopped working so he had to have his car towed because M-B doesn't have a backup plan if the fobs get wet. LOLOLOL