What a week....

Started by VTEC_Inside, September 25, 2006, 04:37:48 PM

VTEC_Inside

I'm going to need to change the title of this thread to what a month or quite possibly year.

Gfs Integra conks out on her today on the way home. She was able to get it into a parking lot and just waited for me.

Very quickly determined that it was an ignition issue.

Pull the distributor cap and see something quite odd. The rotor had come apart, ie the top had apparently melted and come free from where it slides onto the shaft.

Replaced rotor and cap and it fired right up. Got her to follow me back to my house. As I was getting out of my car with my tools she pulled in and I almost imediately heard an odd noise.

Got her to pop the hood, and it very quickly became clear as to why the rotor had apparently melted. The bearings in the distributor are audibly bad and undoubtedly heated up the shaft to the point where the rotor melted.

Not good. A rebuilt distributor for this damn thing is $500+CAD. On the bright side, it would appear that I should be able to get the housing that contains the shaft seperately for about $100. I would then just have to move over the igniter and coil.

All the same, I'm headed to the wreckers tommorow to try and get a whole distributor as cheap as possible.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 16, 2006, 11:40:16 PM
Not good. A rebuilt distributor for this damn thing is $500+CAD.
SERIOUSLY???

Even without doing the conversion to "real" money I get the feeling that's pretty steep!   :thumbsup:
Good luck at the 'yard..
Will

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 17, 2006, 06:00:31 AM
SERIOUSLY???

Even without doing the conversion to "real" money I get the feeling that's pretty steep! :thumbsup:
Good luck at the 'yard..

Just got off the phone calling around for prices. [CAD]
Partsource : $550
Napa : $341. with exchange
ACURA!: $906.41!!!!!!!!, or $471.44!!! for JUST THE HOUSING, no igniter, coil.

Its pouring rain here today, so I'm debating on when or if to go to the bone yard. There is one yard that said $150. There is another yard where I could go in and get it myself, which is what I'm thinking now and try to get it for $100 or significantly less if you know what I mean.

TBR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 09, 2006, 11:13:42 AM
Lol, I wish he would sell it, I've been trying to convince him to because I don't think hes actually ever going to fix it. He likes the Silver/Black leather interior combo that it has. Great look for a car that can't move under its own power.... Its also not clear in that pic, but he rear ended a CR-V in it a while back. He replaced everything but the hood.

It is/was an ATX btw... He wants to put an MTX in it.

Definitely a nice color combo, much better than the arrest me red that most of them seem to be.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: TBR on October 17, 2006, 11:52:49 AM
Definitely a nice color combo, much better than the arrest me red that most of them seem to be.

The majority of them in this area are Green with Tan or grey interior. There are two green 5spds for sale locally right now, a '94 and a '95. The green is so common its sick.

VTEC_Inside

Wrecker distributor is in and working fine. $171CAD after tax.

It would appear that they pull them all as the cars come in because none of the cars in the yard had one on them.

The price is a bit much as well, but it would also appear that my favorite yard has gone higher tech since last time I was there. It was like going to a parts store this time, heres the price, no haggling.

I did encounter a fellow there that claims to have one that he doesn't need. He said he'd give it to me for $40 so I'm going to snatch that off him tommorow just because of the price.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 17, 2006, 01:49:29 PM
Wrecker distributor is in and working fine. $171CAD after tax.

It would appear that they pull them all as the cars come in because none of the cars in the yard had one on them.

The price is a bit much as well, but it would also appear that my favorite yard has gone higher tech since last time I was there. It was like going to a parts store this time, heres the price, no haggling.

I did encounter a fellow there that claims to have one that he doesn't need. He said he'd give it to me for $40 so I'm going to snatch that off him tommorow just because of the price.
So at least something worked out-
You know as long as you have a spare it will never break again.   :devil:
Just don't give the spare away!!    :lol:
Will

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 18, 2006, 06:42:42 AM
So at least something worked out-
You know as long as you have a spare it will never break again. :devil:
Just don't give the spare away!! :lol:

Thats exactly what I'm counting on.

I'm going to continue dismantling the old one as well. Someone rebuilds these things, so I should be able to as well :) Having a friend that works at a machine shop should come in handy here. If not at least its good for the guts.

VTEC_Inside

I was able to remove the bearing from the old one.

It really wasn't all that hard to do. Its a simple ball bearing with a cage and metal "seals" on both sides. The cage had been destroyed and all the balls stuck over at one side. I spread them back out with a screwdriver, but this sucker is never turning again.

I'm going to take it with me today to see if I can purchase an appropriately sized replacement. Hopefully I can get one, and maybe even a roller bearing instead.