***My friend just bought a VW Eos***

Started by cawimmer430, September 26, 2006, 05:14:28 AM

IrishGuy

Quote from: Raza on September 26, 2006, 07:37:41 PM
I just built a 2.0T trim for 35,9K, and that had a lot of options.  Considering its closest competitors start at 37K and 39K, I'd say it's a bargain. 

I don't know... to me there's something about paying 36k for a VW that doesn't look anywhere near that price.

I saw one the other day before I looked it up online and thought it might cost closer to 20-25k.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza on September 26, 2006, 07:37:41 PM
I just built a 2.0T trim for 35,9K, and that had a lot of options.  Considering its closest competitors start at 37K and 39K, I'd say it's a bargain. 

WHAT?! 35+K for that? It looks like it should cost maybe 30-35K loaded
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quote from: M_power on September 26, 2006, 07:47:27 PM
WHAT?! 35+K for that? It looks like it should cost maybe 30-35K loaded

That was loaded.  Everything but DSG and navigation. 

Look at its contemporaries, though.  Both have slightly more power (10 and 18, respective to their prices), but none have the style, nor the Volkwagen quality I've come to know and love.  My own bias, added to the lower price, and the "It's still pretty much a GTI"ness of it all, I think it's a great piece. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: IrishGuy on September 26, 2006, 07:40:41 PM
I don't know... to me there's something about paying 36k for a VW that doesn't look anywhere near that price.

I saw one the other day before I looked it up online and thought it might cost closer to 20-25k.

GTI is 25K.
GLI can run to 29, I think.
Eos costing over 30 makes sense.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

IrishGuy

Quote from: Raza on September 26, 2006, 07:55:47 PM
GTI is 25K.
GLI can run to 29, I think.
Eos costing over 30 makes sense.

I just think VWs are overpriced as it is. It's probably a misconception of mine.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Raza

Quote from: IrishGuy on September 26, 2006, 08:08:50 PM
I just think VWs are overpriced as it is. It's probably a misconception of mine.

Volkswagens are overpriced compared to their perceived competitors, but they are not the same company they used to be.  Workaday sedans don't play in the same sandbox as Volkswagens.  Acura, Saab, Volvo, lower end BMWs, Lexi, and Mercedes models are the competition.  Not Honda, not Toyota, not Chevrolet, not Ford.  After experiencing the quality firsthand, and sequentially after a Mercedes that happened to cost twice as much, I've learned not to understand the shiny V and W.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza on September 26, 2006, 08:25:21 PM
Volkswagens are overpriced compared to their perceived competitors, but they are not the same company they used to be.  Workaday sedans don't play in the same sandbox as Volkswagens.  Acura, Saab, Volvo, lower end BMWs, Lexi, and Mercedes models are the competition.  Not Honda, not Toyota, not Chevrolet, not Ford.  After experiencing the quality firsthand, and sequentially after a Mercedes that happened to cost twice as much, I've learned not to understand the shiny V and W.

They want to play in the sandbox with the big boys, but the fact is they aren't playing there right now
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quote from: M_power on September 26, 2006, 08:41:34 PM
They want to play in the sandbox with the big boys, but the fact is they aren't playing there right now

They're doing fine against the biggest names, and cars like their main competitors from Japan and Sweden don't have anything on them, in my opinion.  I'd take a GLI over a TSX and most likely a 9-3, a Golf GTI over an RSX and S40 FWD, the S60 isn't as polished a near-luxury car as the B6 Passat either. 

If I could rewind time two years and pit the B5 against the S40 and TSX again, I'd have made the same decision.  Except, I'd have held out for a stick. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza on September 26, 2006, 09:19:31 PM
They're doing fine against the biggest names, and cars like their main competitors from Japan and Sweden don't have anything on them, in my opinion.  I'd take a GLI over a TSX and most likely a 9-3, a Golf GTI over an RSX and S40 FWD, the S60 isn't as polished a near-luxury car as the B6 Passat either. 

If I could rewind time two years and pit the B5 against the S40 and TSX again, I'd have made the same decision.  Except, I'd have held out for a stick. 

It's obvious they're trying to go up the prestige ladder (shows in how they price their cars) and their products seem to be of higher quality. But I don't think people think of them at the same level as BMW and Benz

TBR

They aren't really trying to compete with BMW and Benz though, they are more in the same price brackets as Saab, Volvo, and Acura.

The Pirate

Supply and demand.  If they can sell them at a mid 30K price tag, then why not?

The new Jettas have definitely gone up in price (the Mk IIIs were priced comparatively with Civics at the time), but I see a ton of them on the road.  I personally would jump up to the Passat for that kind of money, but more power to VW if they can pull it off, which seems to be the case.  When I bought my car, I wanted a Jetta, but I was looking at something used with 60K miles or so, and reliability was a bit of a concern.  Mechanically, they seem to be at least as good as any, and VW interiors are awesome, but at that point, the electrical systems seemed to have some weird quirks.  Even now, I'd rather have a Vdub, but the closest dealer is a good ninety minutes away, and not too many indie guys in this area will touch a German car.

Nice cars though, and worth the price of admission, IMO.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

This kind of upmarket move is indicative of the introduction of a new model, but I don't see any plans to bring a Lupo/Polo type car for the US market.  The Jetta used to be a Civic competitor, but the last comparison I saw it in pitted it against the Accord, TSX, Pontiac G6, and Mazda(speed)6. 

Though noticeably smaller, the interior dimensions are remarkably similar to my B5 Passat.  I get into the B6 and I don't feel like I'm in a familiar car.  I get out of my W210 and into the W211 and it feels like an evolution of the old E class.  I hopped into a GLI last time I was at my local Volkswagen dealer, and it felt like I was sitting in my car.  Taking a quick look around, it even seemed like they pulled a few bits off of my car and just bolted them on to the new Jetta.

That said, if the Eos holds to standard price differentiation, the pricing makes sense.  For the most part, convertible versions cost 8 to 10 thousand dollars more than comparable sedan versions (unless you're Mercedes, and you can cleverly charge 15 grand more). 

Let's use the GLI as a base, since the sedan on the same platform.  36K (rounded up for ease) is 9 thousand more than 27K, and 9 fits nicely between 8 and 10.  These are both loaded models.

The Saab 9-3 2.0T Convertible runs you 37K (base) and the 2.0T sedan is closer to 26,5.  That's 10,5 over the sedan.

Volvo S40 T5 runs you 28,4K (base) and the C70 T5 goes for 39K.  10,6 more.

There are discrepancies that happen though.  The S40 is available with AWD, the C70 is not.  The 9-3 is available with a V6, the Jetta is not.  The Eos will be available with Volkswagen's 3.2, though. 

You're all facing sticker shock because of the badge that's on the car.  Same thing happened with the W8 and the Phaeton, but there's nothing wrong with the way it's priced.

Damnit, I'm sitting here talking myself into it.  And I hate hardtop convertibles.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Raza, if you ever contemplate buying an Eos, I will take it upon myself to withold all addictive drugs from you.

Raza

Quote from: omicron on September 27, 2006, 08:44:54 AM
Raza, if you ever contemplate buying an Eos, I will take it upon myself to withold all addictive drugs from you.

If it were a soft top, I'd think about it in a more serious fashion.  I have to check up on weights and see how close it is to drive to the GTI.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Quote from: Raza on September 27, 2006, 08:51:50 AM
If it were a soft top, I'd think about it in a more serious fashion. I have to check up on weights and see how close it is to drive to the GTI.

Praise be, it isn't a soft-top.

CWW

Nice gift. I've got a cake for birthday... :rolleyes:

ifcar

Raza, the Eos drives basically like a standard Jetta sedan, which is competently for someone who isn't interested in a good driving experience. It is not your kind of car (I hope).

nickdrinkwater

Similarly to what Raza has already pointed out (and very well said), I think one of the reasons VWs seem overpriced is because the competition in the US is much different to the European market, where the cars are designed.

Over here, the Focus is about ?13k, which I guess is about $20k.  Whereas I believe the Focus is much cheaper in America.  So the Golf for instance is built to a standard to compete with the better, more expensive Focus in Europe, but when sold in America, it's compared to the inferior and cheaper American Focus, making it seemed overpriced.

I know this doesn't really directly relate to the Eos but hopefully you can see the point I'm trying to make.

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on September 27, 2006, 04:16:07 PM
Raza, the Eos drives basically like a standard Jetta sedan, which is competently for someone who isn't interested in a good driving experience. It is not your kind of car (I hope).

Cool.  It is pretty though.

I think it looks better than the old A4 Cabrio.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Byron just replied:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

cawimmer430

Quote from: mazda6er on September 28, 2006, 12:56:02 PM
:(

Facebook whore.  :lol:

All 521 posts are from girls. I'm just really popular.  :devil:

Got to congratulate Byron for being the first male to have written on my wall...  :devil: :devil: :devil:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

mazda6er

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 28, 2006, 12:58:46 PM
All 521 posts are from girls. I'm just really popular.  :devil:

Got to congratulate Byron for being the first male to have written on my wall...  :devil: :devil: :devil:
lol, must be the lederhosen you're wearing in your profile pic, drives the ladies wild. hahaha. (There's only one "Christian Wimmer" that comes up in the search.) :lol:  :thumbsup:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

cawimmer430

Quote from: mazda6er on September 28, 2006, 01:03:52 PM
lol, must be the lederhosen you're wearing in your profile pic, drives the ladies wild. hahaha. (There's only one "Christian Wimmer" that comes up in the search.) :lol:  :thumbsup:

Add me. We should start a Facebook Carspinners Club.   :lol:

BTW, that picture is a photoshop.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

mazda6er

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 28, 2006, 01:05:13 PM
Add me. We should start a Facebook Carspinners Club.   :lol:

BTW, that picture is a photoshop.  :lol:

haha, alrighty.  :lol:
--Mark

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

mazda6er

--Mark

cawimmer430

I got to go now. Big day tomorrow. RELATIVES. Some 90 year old aunt of mine who is about to leave this world. Wants to see us for the last time. See you guys later! :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de