Waving at the cops (or vice versa)

Started by AutobahnSHO, September 26, 2006, 06:44:47 PM

ChrisV

Yeah, here in MD the staters just jump right out in the fast lane of traffic and point at you. Don't know where they learned the laws of physics at, but seems plenty dangerous to me...

As for people complaining about speeders in the neighborhood, I've had people tell me to slow down when I'm already doing the speed limit. I don't think most people KNOW how fast cars are going, or how quick modern ones can stop from under 40 mph... I'd also bet that a goodly chunk of the speeders in the neighborhood are FROM the neighborhood.. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Catman

Quote from: ChrisV on October 03, 2006, 01:15:55 PM
Yeah, here in MD the staters just jump right out in the fast lane of traffic and point at you. Don't know where they learned the laws of physics at, but seems plenty dangerous to me...

As for people complaining about speeders in the neighborhood, I've had people tell me to slow down when I'm already doing the speed limit. I don't think most people KNOW how fast cars are going, or how quick modern ones can stop from under 40 mph... I'd also bet that a goodly chunk of the speeders in the neighborhood are FROM the neighborhood.. ;)

You would be correct. :praise:

Atomic

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 26, 2006, 08:16:20 PM
WTF?

I'm afraid to wave at cops thinking they'll see it wrong and think I was giving them the bird.

when i give them the bird, they think that i'm waving  :mask:!

Raza

Last time I said anything to a cop while driving, he pulled me over and threatened with a ticket for disturbing the peace.   
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza on October 05, 2006, 04:03:34 AM
Last time I said anything to a cop while driving, he pulled me over and threatened with a ticket for disturbing the peace.? ?
It's about time.  :lol:

SVT666

My biggest concern now that I'm a parent are the cars speeding through our neighbourhood.  They are always residents and they do 65 km/h down these suburban streets that require 1 car to pull in between two parked cars so that the car coming the other way can get through.  It's insane.  I have almost been run over a couple times myself just walking across the road to get the mail.  The two most common types are teenagers (boys AND girls) and moms in minivans or SUVs.

When I was growing up I would wave at every single cop I ever saw...and it paid off.  I was pulled over 3 times by 3 different RCMP officers in my hometown (including one time when I was 16 and I was doing 105 in a 50 km/h zone) and I got warnings each time.

Here in Canada it's weird.  City cops tend to be pricks about things, and they're rarely ever in a good mood.  I have been told that it's because they're city cops and they really want to be RCMP. :lol:

93JC

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 05, 2006, 07:57:08 AM
My biggest concern now that I'm a parent are the cars speeding through our neighbourhood.? They are always residents and they do 65 km/h down these suburban streets that require 1 car to pull in between two parked cars so that the car coming the other way can get through.? It's insane.? I have almost been run over a couple times myself just walking across the road to get the mail.? The two most common types are teenagers (boys AND girls) and moms in minivans or SUVs.

I think speed limits in residential areas should be lowered to 35 or 40. I wouldn't go 50 km/h down my street, but I see it done, and it's waaaaaay too fast for the road.

QuoteHere in Canada it's weird.? City cops tend to be pricks about things, and they're rarely ever in a good mood.? I have been told that it's because they're city cops and they really want to be RCMP. :lol:

City cops are pricks because they actually have to, you know, work. Unlike mounties in Bumfuck, Saskatchewan...

SVT666

Quote from: 93JC on October 05, 2006, 08:13:41 AM
I think speed limits in residential areas should be lowered to 35 or 40. I wouldn't go 50 km/h down my street, but I see it done, and it's waaaaaay too fast for the road.

City cops are pricks because they actually have to, you know, work. Unlike mounties in Bumfuck, Saskatchewan...
:lol: :clap:

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza on October 05, 2006, 02:57:07 PM
It's more than what I do; it's who I am.

You and your commie Tom Morello avatar.  :P

TBR

I never go above 30mph in residential areas. Really it is too fast, but I normally I go through at night when there isn't anyone out anyway.

Raza

Quote from: TBR on October 06, 2006, 10:16:44 PM
I never go above 30mph in residential areas. Really it is too fast, but I normally I go through at night when there isn't anyone out anyway.

On two-sided residential streets, I consider 30 the absolute upper limit of what I'll do.  Kids and dogs are stupid, and I'd rather not hit either to shave 8 seconds off my commute.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SaltyDog

You should go slower at night.  Though there are fewer people out, it's harder to see those that might be.  Never know when someone will pop out of a line of parked cars or something.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

IrishGuy

I wave to police if I see them driving down the road and I'm outside - its a small town so it pays to be friendly with them and get to know them.
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

rohan

I f you must wave at the cops just make sure all 5 of yuour fingers go up! 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

What the hell?  That pic is cool with my new car!  Who did that? :lol: :cheers:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Catman

thewizard16

Quote from: dazzleman on September 27, 2006, 03:55:32 AM
Actually, I read somewhere that waving at an LEO, if done properly, could make him think that you're an off-duty LEO, and might mean that he doesn't bother pulling you over.
That's interesting. Cops wave at me constantly in Mtn. Home, and I've never been pulled over there while speeding, even when I've been blatantly caught. I can't figure out why, unless I look like someone they all know, they know someone in my family (distinctly possible), know who I know (another distinct benefit), or my car just looks like someone elses (unlikely in Mtn. Home, it's not that big, and mine has some distinguishing characteristics). I don't have nearly as good luck over here.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Tave

On the dirt roads around my hometown, it's considered a courtesy to wave at anyone who passes you. There is such a dearth of traffic, and everybody driving the road is from the area, that the wave amounts to acknowledging and appreciating another's presence, much like saying "hello" on the street.

Of course, to not wave is almost an insult, but occasionally happens. No one is perfect.

In a city, the only reason I wave is because I like the car. I believe I've waved at a car simply because it was the same as mine.

And then there's always the trick waves. My favorite entails beginning a wave, but then ending with a sunvisor flip. This is a great wave for stopsigns. People act so unsure and embarressed during it. Remeber, to do this you must make eye contact before your arm is in motion.

And that's all the thought I've ever given to the subject.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: Tave on December 29, 2006, 05:53:09 PM
And then there's always the trick waves. My favorite entails beginning a wave, but then ending with a sunvisor flip. This is a great wave for stopsigns. People act so unsure and embarressed during it. Remeber, to do this you must make eye contact before your arm is in motion.

:lol:

Will have to try that one out...

JWC

Quote from: L. ed foote on September 29, 2006, 11:47:28 AM
Officers or not, people wave all the time in the southern states (GA, NC, SC).

I generally don't wave at anyone.

By the time I moved back to NC I had forgotten about people waving at perfect strangers.   No matter what road I was driving, someone would wave.  I kept thinking, I don't know these fucking people.  One day I asked my grandfather about it and he jogged my memory. 

People sitting on porches will wave as you drive by also.  It is really un-nerving at times.

On a similar note (and general info for anyone who may visit the south), when you are visiting someone at their home and say "good-bye" don't take the return comment, "don't rush off, stay awhile" seriously.  It is just a southern way of saying good-bye.   It took me awhile to figure that out also.  I over stayed a lot of visits.

Catman

Everyone waves on my street whether they know each other or not.

dazzleman

Quote from: Catman on January 06, 2007, 05:54:33 AM

Mine too.  I know everybody on my street, but we wave even when people we don't know drive by.  If I see a police cruiser on the block, I wave too.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

AutobahnSHO

You guys are funny.
A weird thread title (doesn't quite match the intent of the thread) but you guys are still running it more than 3 months later...  :huh:  :lol:
Will

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Catman on January 06, 2007, 05:54:33 AM

Same here.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT_Power

Getting a nod from a cop made me quite nervous for a second
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

J86

Quote from: M_power on January 14, 2007, 08:17:49 PM
Getting a nod from a cop made me quite nervous for a second

Haha I know...I'd much prefer if they acted like I didn't exist. :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: J86 on January 14, 2007, 09:59:34 PM
Haha I know...I'd much prefer if they acted like I didn't exist. :lol:

Well that only happened because I was walking to work with my uniform on. I forgot I had it on and when he nodded at me, I almost panicked :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

J86

Quote from: M_power on January 14, 2007, 10:08:15 PM
Well that only happened because I was walking to work with my uniform on. I forgot I had it on and when he nodded at me, I almost panicked :lol:

In your case, he was just extending professional courtesy!  Funny how in one instances, a younger guy is looked at with suspicion, but slap some new digs on, and youre respectable. :praise:

SVT_Power

Quote from: J86 on January 14, 2007, 10:14:03 PM
In your case, he was just extending professional courtesy!  Funny how in one instances, a younger guy is looked at with suspicion, but slap some new digs on, and youre respectable. :praise:

:praise: :lol: