Cruise Control: New Camaro will look even better than concept

Started by gasoline, September 27, 2006, 10:08:05 AM

gasoline

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 28, 2006, 06:03:37 PM
As long as it has a V8 and RWD, how COULD GM screw it up? The baby-boomers and fanboys will gobble it right up.

I'm sure that the mail-slot windows will make for poor visibilty and a dark, confining interior. Not to mention that you'll look like a kid in his daddy's car when the door comes up to your neck.

Gotta have that "look"...function be damned!
Not if GM puts in those massive sunroofs they can't seem to get enough of.

I don't know what's so bad about it though. I really, really like it.
-----------------------------------

TBR

Quote from: ChrisV on September 29, 2006, 06:14:21 AM
Wow. they're round, and slightly notched out of the lower facia. OH MY GOD! IT"S IDENTICAL!

Not.

Tons of cars have that. And overall the grille is a '69 Camaro slanted backward.

Yes, a lot of cars have lights with a rectangular section and semi-circle underneath, but the lights on that sketch are the exact same shape, the exact same size, and at the exact same angle as those of the Crossfire. You would have to be blind not to see the similarities.

You're an ass.

93JC

Tim, it's a retro update of the first-generation Camaro. The drawing was drawn before the Crossfire was on the drawing board.

Anyone who doesn't think that drawing is godly is a fucking idiot, by the way.

93JC

Quote from: ChrisV on September 29, 2006, 06:10:18 AM
Read my sig.

And I guess when you've driven cars like this:

or exotic sports cars with even SMALLer windows, then you see things like the Camaro concept as not that bad. But then, once again, lack of experience in the larger automotive wold causes certain people to be insulting about cars that aren't exactly what they would buy, evn though since they can't buy every car on the market, why they want every car to be something they WOULD buy in order not to insult it, is beyond me....

Dude, everyone had the right to their own opinion. If you've got a problem with someone's opinion on the silly-high waistbands of today's new cars then too fucking bad.

I for one think chopped hot-rods like that '50 Merc are dumb, and solely the interest of old, fat, balding men with too much money. I also don't care for the very small proportion of glass to sheetmetal of today's cars. You're free to disagree, but just because someone disagrees with your particular opinion doesn't mean they're ignorant due to 'lack of experience in the larger automotive world'.

TBR

Quote from: 93JC on September 30, 2006, 12:40:00 AM
Tim, it's a retro update of the first-generation Camaro. The drawing was drawn before the Crossfire was on the drawing board.

The headlights have nothing to do with the first generation Camaro, other than being partially round. Otherwise I agree that it looks nice, but too retro for my tastes.

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on September 30, 2006, 12:40:00 AM

It's high time I added the words 'Fucking Idiot' to my profile :praise:

ChrisV

Quote from: 93JC on September 30, 2006, 12:46:11 AM
Dude, everyone had the right to their own opinion. If you've got a problem with someone's opinion on the silly-high waistbands of today's new cars then too fucking bad.[;/quote]

And I could say that if you had a problem with some designer's idea of what's cool, then too fucking bad. See how that works? Oh, right. You can voice any old insulting opinion YOU want, but no one else can in retrun. Hypocrite.

Yeah, you have the right to any old opinion you happen to make up on the spot based on a complete and total lack of experience in anything. Why, however, is it more important to you to hold tightly to an opinion like that than it is to actually learn something fucking new? Oh, that's right, too. Learning is sooo fucking overrated. No wonder the schools can't produce students that know anything. Opinions are far more importat than actual knowledge.

Fuck it. Why be open minded at all... :banghead:
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

What experience must one have, O wise one? How does one achieve spiritual one-ness with the automobile as you have?

Please teach us, master!

;) :lol:

TBR

What is the point of an automotive forum if there is just fact and no opinions? Especially since fact just seems to be whatever your opinion is.

VetteZ06

Quote from: ChrisV on October 02, 2006, 12:50:11 PM
Learning is sooo fucking overrated. No wonder the schools can't produce students that know anything. Opinions are far more importat than actual knowledge.

If ever there was a person who was addicted to getting pissed off at other people for ridiculous reasons . . .

But I agree with you. This discussion about the exterior styling of a particular automobile undoubtedly proves that kids are stupid these days. Don't know why I didn't think of that before.

93JC

And I could say that if you had a problem with some designer's idea of what's cool, then too fucking bad. See how that works? Oh, right. You can voice any old insulting opinion YOU want, but no one else can in retrun. Hypocrite.

Yeah, you have the right to any old opinion you happen to make up on the spot based on a complete and total lack of experience in anything. Why, however, is it more important to you to hold tightly to an opinion like that than it is to actually learn something fucking new? Oh, that's right, too. Learning is sooo fucking overrated. No wonder the schools can't produce students that know anything. Opinions are far more importat than actual knowledge.

Fuck it. Why be open minded at all... :banghead:

Okay, okay, okay... what "actual knowledge" should I know about low rooflines that will suddenly cause me to have some sort of freaky epiphany and see the error of my opinionated ways?

SVT666

What the hell does experience in the "larger automotive world" have to do with whether or not he likes small windows or not?  I have owned and driven Japanese compact cars and I love rally racing, but that doesn't mean that I have to like fart cans, racing decals, and big ass park bench wings on a Honda Civic does it?  You would probably answer "yes" to that question, wouldn't you?  I love cars like the Magnum and the 300C, but I have no problems with 93JC not liking small windows.  Design and appearance are subjective. 

If all you want to do is discuss "facts", then why do you even post on here?  These forums are for us to talk about what we like and what we don't like, and it is extremely rare that we get into heated arguments or insulting others on CarSpin.  Leave that shit for C&D.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: gasoline on September 29, 2006, 06:43:17 PM
Not if GM puts in those massive sunroofs they can't seem to get enough of.

GM seems to like those sunroofs that open on top of the roof as opposed to sliding into the roof itself. It looks horrible and cheap.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TBR

My Honda has a sunroof that slides over the top. Companies only use this type when there isn't room for an internal one. You aren't going to see many coupes with a traditional sunroof.

Raza

Most 2+2s have room for one, unless the roof is too curved, like the first gen TT.  I don't know why they didn't put one in the Monaro/GTO or in the Mustang (apparently it's not supposed to happen, according to one salesman, since "Mustangs aren't supposed to have sunroofs").  The 911 has a stowing sunroof. 

I bet the Camaro's roof will be flat enough to fit one (just like the Mustang's is) but they probably won't put one in.  Coupe, convertible, maybe t-tops. 

I miss the Trans Am. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

gasoline

Quote from: touareg208 on October 04, 2006, 09:39:43 PM
GM seems to like those sunroofs that open on top of the roof as opposed to sliding into the roof itself. It looks horrible and cheap.
You think those things are cheaper than regular sunroofs?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on September 27, 2006, 02:56:17 PM
Meh. I don't think it's out-and-out disgusting, but it's not pretty. The Mustang, both production and concept, looks better.

The best fifth-generation Camaro concept I've seen was this sketch:

I love that drawing.
I personally think the drawing looks like a Sebring hit with an ugly stick..
Will

Nethead

gasoline: "It looks terrific!"\
Actually, gas, it looks like a '71 Toyota Celica ST that's been stretched one foot in length and one foot in width--with the inner pair of headlights and the ST sidestripes removed.  Paint the bumpers and add gills in front of the rear wheelwells and you've got the Camaro concept nailed.
So many stairs...so little time...

gasoline

Quote from: Nethead on November 21, 2006, 08:56:22 AM
gasoline: "It looks terrific!"\
Actually, gas, it looks like a '71 Toyota Celica ST that's been stretched one foot in length and one foot in width--with the inner pair of headlights and the ST sidestripes removed.  Paint the bumpers and add gills in front of the rear wheelwells and you've got the Camaro concept nailed.
Interesting...
But since the 1969 Camaro is older, we know who's the "copycat"...

sandertheshark

Nethead

sandertheshark:  If AutoWeek mag ever re-opens their forum (why??????), the Nethead here will see if I can copy the '71 Celica ST Toyota ad posted there--it is less overexposed than the pic you posted.  The resemblance, if stretched as I described, was astonishing--damned eerie in fact!  And Toyota admitted at the time that the Celica was their effort to cash in on the popularity of the Mustang.  Maybe Chevy's cashing in on the popularity of the '71 Celica--which was garish--but a well built, reliable vehicle.  In 2006 we have the Camaro concept--which is garish--but a Chevrolet.

Nebtek2002

Nethead obviously doesn't live where they salt the roads in winter.

In Eastern Nebraska,the '71 Celica didn't make it to '81 with that beer-can body. "Well-built"
indeed!

Raza

Quote from: Nethead on November 22, 2006, 09:04:56 AM
sandertheshark:  If AutoWeek mag ever re-opens their forum (why??????), the Nethead here will see if I can copy the '71 Celica ST Toyota ad posted there--it is less overexposed than the pic you posted.  The resemblance, if stretched as I described, was astonishing--damned eerie in fact!  And Toyota admitted at the time that the Celica was their effort to cash in on the popularity of the Mustang.  Maybe Chevy's cashing in on the popularity of the '71 Celica--which was garish--but a well built, reliable vehicle.  In 2006 we have the Camaro concept--which is garish--but a Chevrolet.

If I'm not mistaken, the Mustang's success was also a precursor to the Camaro, just like it is now.

I, personally, want either a blue 1969 Camaro SS with white stripes or a 2000 or so black Camaro SS.  Really, either will do.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

SVT666

Nethead

gasoline: Gas, Camaros preceded Celicas--but the '71 Celica ST did not look like any of the Camaros that preceded it.  "Shrunken" or otherwise.  But the Camaro concept IS a '71 Celica ST, stretched as the Nethead here has described earlier in this thread.  MAYBE I can find the source of that '71 Celica ST ad and post it here--if we can persuade ChrisV to use his photochop skills to stretch the ST a foot and widen it a foot, then remove the inner pair of headlights even you will see the abject plagiarism evident here!  I'm sure ChrisV can "remove" the double ST side stripes and "replace" the chromed bumpers with bumpers "painted" to match the color of the car--but it won't be necessary to get that detailed for the resemblance to leap off the screen and grab you by the proverbials...

omicron

While I enjoy the occasional grab to the proverbials, if a Celica reaches over, I'm cutting it's fucking arm off.

Nethead

"While I enjoy the occasional grab to the proverbials, if a Celica reaches over, I'm cutting it's fucking arm off. "

LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO! LMFAO!

sandertheshark

Nethead:  The Camaro concept sketch that bears an eerie resemblance to the Celica isn't the real deal.  It doesn't exist except on the pages of that Motortrend article and a few pieces of drafting paper in some studio.

The real Camaro concept borrows from no car excpet preceding Camaros, specifically the '69 and maybe a little bit of mid-80s Z-28 and IROC.