2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Heavy-Duty Pickups

Started by Jawad, September 28, 2006, 07:52:36 AM

omicron

Fucking hell. I want to live in a world where petrol isn't a concern and it can be gratuitously wasted. I like the idea of big, badass trucks that can haul anything and tow entire cities. :(

Galaxy

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on September 28, 2006, 09:47:44 PM
Not for those who work construction.

European workers get along fairly well with the Sprinter though and it is not like they become a moving road block in traffic. Granted they will not do 0-60 in under 12 seconds but with a load of cement your are not going to excellerate much faster anyway for safety reasons.

Dodge Rams have become relatively popular with upper class riding stables mostly? due to styling reasons. They are entirely poser vehicles here though because they are all deratred on paper. In order to use  the Ram to what it is capable of doing it would need a high pressure brakeing system and a electromagnetic engine brake.

giant_mtb

Quote from: mazda6er on September 29, 2006, 08:15:51 AM

Looks pretty good to me.

I think I agree.  Rams are probably the best lookin' trucks out there.

sandertheshark

Quote from: The Pirate on September 28, 2006, 09:56:38 PM
Quote from: HEMI666 on September 28, 2006, 01:39:25 PM
It would look a lot better if the front bumper wasn't lower then the rocker panels. That bumper is freaking huge! It looks dumb.
blame the safety nazis for that one
These particular safety nazis work at GM.  They say its built that way basically so won't run clean over a Nissan if it happens to rear-end one, but nobody else is doing it that way.  I actually don't mind the huge bumper, I just which they could could do something about that overbite though.  It does look kinda silly to have the bumper two inches lower than the rocker panels. 

sandertheshark

I think it really looks pretty good from the front and back.

It's just that side view that shows how poorly proportioned it is.

And it would look much, much better with a 32' cabin cruiser behind it heading for the coast at 85mph...

omicron

SVT666

I drive my truck everywhere.  This may come as a surprise to these Europeans on this site, but for the most part the Dodge Ram, F-150, and Silverado are more comfortable then most cars.  You couldn't do what I do with my Ram with a Ridgeline or any car based truck.  European construction workers use Sprinters, etc. but if European roads were wider and fuel was cheaper, your construction workers would be driving big pickups too. 

Yes, I do drive it to and from work every day too, but that's only because it's more expensive to own a second car.  That's why I hate the threads like "How many empty pickups did you see on your way to work this morning".  Those are some of the most ignorant threads I have seen on automotive forums.  It's not like I drive around with a 1000 lbs in the back of my truck all the time. 

omicron

Just because fuel is cheap doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be consumed at will. The problem isn't so much that you use your truck for various purposes - it's the amount of people doing so across the entire country that is the problem. It's not sustainable. The Ford F-series is the highest selling vehicle in the US - that's astonishing.
If builders, contractors and other such labour-intensive professions requiring vehicles of that size made up the highest percentage of the workforce, then such sales figures could be understood to some degree, but from what I understand, they don't.

SVT666

You're right.  However, the recreation industry in North America is massive.  Travel trailers, boats, camping, offroading, dirtbiking, snowmobiling, etc. is all huge here.  The new pickups are more comfortable then most cars and offer exponentially more luggage space and utility for various activities.  Pickups offer something that no other vehicle can...flexibility.  It can be used for any activity, anytime, anywhere and you don't need a second vehicle with two insurance policies.  It's cheaper to own a nice truck, then a truck AND a car.  I understand why they are the best selling vehicles (since I own one).  I agree that there are a lot of people who buy them and never use the box for more then a golf bag, but those are also the people who are not buying them anymore since fuel prices went up.  My truck is used for everything from running to the store with my family, driving to and from work, going camping, pulling a boat, going offroading, hauling 2000+ lbs loads, and going on holidays.  Overall it is the most useful and reliable vehicle I have ever owned.  I wouldn't trade it for anything...except maybe that 2008 F-250.  :rockon:

TBR

Quote from: Galaxy on September 29, 2006, 08:55:25 AM
European workers get along fairly well with the Sprinter though and it is not like they become a moving road block in traffic. Granted they will not do 0-60 in under 12 seconds but with a load of cement your are not going to excellerate much faster anyway for safety reasons.

Dodge Rams have become relatively popular with upper class riding stables mostly  due to styling reasons. They are entirely poser vehicles here though because they are all deratred on paper. In order to use  the Ram to what it is capable of doing it would need a high pressure brakeing system and a electromagnetic engine brake.

Just a thought, but really how much better gas mileage does the Sprint get than say a Ram Cummins? Even with an AT 20+ on the highway is possible, and I suspect a 2000+ payload would drastically effect the Sprinter's economy, not so with the Ram.

Galaxy

Quote from: TBR on September 30, 2006, 06:55:56 AM
Just a thought, but really how much better gas mileage does the Sprint get than say a Ram Cummins? Even with an AT 20+ on the highway is possible, and I suspect a 2000+ payload would drastically effect the Sprinter's economy, not so with the Ram.

On the highway the Sprinter proberly gets around the same mileage as a Cummins powered Ram but in the city the Sprinter will have much better mileage.

TBR

Yes, but again, add some weight and I am sure the Ram will be more efficent than the Sprinter. The Sprinter is at the edge of having too small of an engine for its weight, add enough payload you would cross the line.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: sandertheshark on September 29, 2006, 09:08:15 AM
I think it really looks pretty good from the front and back.

Ewwwwww.

That low spoiler ruins the whole truck. It's so ugly it could give children nightmares.

TBR

That picture makes it look like a character from the movie Cars.

ChrisV

Interesting abut the Europeans get a way with ___" copmments. American is physically larger than all of Europe put together... (ok, that's hyperbole, but it is 3500 miles across), meaning there are a lot more places where huge trucks are perfectly suited. My neighbor has a fleet of trucks for his business, 3 F250s, 4 F350s, 2 F450s, and an F 650. And I can guarantee you a Sprinter or Holden ute won't do the job.

Because the US is so large and varied, RVs are a HUGE part of the landscape, and the trucks used to tow them may be empty a bunch of the time, but are ready and available ata amoment's notice...

Hundreds of thousands of people are invoved in this sort of recreational use, besides the hundreds of thousands that are beingused commercially.

And of course, companies like Rickson here in MD are making 19.5 wheels for heavy duty truck tires for Ford, GM, and Dodge applications:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TBR on September 30, 2006, 09:30:00 PM
That picture makes it look like a character from the movie Cars.

You're right! Somebody should photoshop some eyeballs on the windshield!

Catman

Someone should advice GM that if they want big fenders they need big tires.

VetteZ06

Quote from: Catman on October 03, 2006, 08:00:27 PM
Someone should advice GM that if they want big fenders they need big tires.

You'll be hearing from Professor V. with regards to this comment. You may not like the huge fender/small tire combination, but other people might, so you need to learn to be more open-minded.  :lol: ;)

:devil:

280Z Turbo

Quote from: VetteZ06 on October 03, 2006, 08:45:20 PM
You'll be hearing from Professor V. with regards to this comment. You may not like the huge fender/small tire combination, but other people might, so you need to learn to be more open-minded. :lol: ;)

:devil:

Hey now, don't make fun of him. Chris V is entitled to his own opin...errr...maybe not. :confused:

Raza

For wheel wells that can fit 40" rims, the 10 inchers seem like an odd choice.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 03, 2006, 09:21:29 PM
Hey now, don't make fun of him. Chris V is entitled to his own opin...errr...maybe not. :confused:

I think you've misunderstood him. He is, we're not.

ChrisV

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2006, 04:29:02 AM

I think you misunderstood me. I try and get you to think before typing, but that's just too fucking hard for you guys to do, isn't it? it has NEVER been about not hainvg an opinion, or about having DIFFERENT opinions. It's about THINKING about what you base your opinion on for more than two goddamn seconds, and then not trying to be the most insulting little pricks you can be when TYPING that opinion out for the rest of the world to see. Funny how you get so pissed about ME doing it to you in return, but you can't see that I'm just showing you what you're doing to START with.

Apparently as long as the opinion is an insulting one based on being a retarded ass, I should leave it alone. And, of course, YOU insulting anything you want is a fucking GOAL, but god help anyone that returns the fucking favor.

Ok. I get it.

Why is it so important to specifically make a goal of not trying to appreciate stuff? Oh, yeah, being immature children is more important. Why, again, did you leave your haven at C&D?

As for the gap at the wheelwells, it's about suspension travel when loaded, and alowing room for aftermarket wheels and tires (which many companies DO accomodate into their designs). So GM does it differnt than Ford. BFD. it's a work truck.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2006, 04:29:02 AM

Well, the only opinion that he's entitled to is that nobody should have an opinion, which is, in of itself, a paradox. :mask: :lol:

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on October 04, 2006, 08:15:54 AM
I think you misunderstood me. I try and get you to think before typing, but that's just too fucking hard for you guys to do, isn't it? it has NEVER been about not hainvg an opinion, or about having DIFFERENT opinions. It's about THINKING about what you base your opinion on for more than two goddamn seconds, and then not trying to be the most insulting little pricks you can be when TYPING that opinion out for the rest of the world to see. Funny how you get so pissed about ME doing it to you in return, but you can't see that I'm just showing you what you're doing to START with.

Apparently as long as the opinion is an insulting one based on being a retarded ass, I should leave it alone. And, of course, YOU insulting anything you want is a fucking GOAL, but god help anyone that returns the fucking favor.

Ok. I get it.

Why is it so important to specifically make a goal of not trying to appreciate stuff? Oh, yeah, being immature children is more important. Why, again, did you leave your haven at C&D?

As for the gap at the wheelwells, it's about suspension travel when loaded, and alowing room for aftermarket wheels and tires (which many companies DO accomodate into their designs). So GM does it differnt than Ford. BFD. it's a work truck.

Does anyone else think he has anger management issues?

93JC

ifcar

Quote from: ChrisV on October 04, 2006, 08:15:54 AM

Ok. I get it.

I'm going to suggest that you find a less abusive way to get people to think. E-shouting isn't really going to accomplish anything. If you have a solid argument, present it and people will listen. If you rant at them and call them names, they won't, even if you're right.

SJ_GTI

My suggestion would also be to tone it down a bit. I think you are too used to C&D. Reasoned discussion is much more fruitful here. I appreciate your contributions (even when i disagree) so I hope you aren't getting the impression that CarSpin is like C&D.

That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of childish and silly posts (those are my forte afterall), but 99.9999999% there is no mean spiritness intended here.

Raza

Listen to the hippie.

Damn it, I have a Volkswagen too.  But at least I get haircuts more frequently than annually.

:P
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

Quote from: ifcar on October 04, 2006, 01:59:58 PM
I'm going to suggest that you find a less abusive way to get people to think. E-shouting isn't really going to accomplish anything. If you have a solid argument, present it and people will listen. If you rant at them and call them names, they won't, even if you're right.

Agreed, clarity is more important than agreement, to steal a line from one of the best talk radio guys.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.