Drove an '06 Charger Daytona

Started by VTEC_Inside, October 08, 2006, 06:19:42 PM

VTEC_Inside

Lol, man I could get used to that thing.

They gotta learn how to bottle that sound or something.

Didn't help that it was my dads cousins car and she was up from the states. I'm driving in a 40kph zone doing 40... mph...  oops, lol...

Gotta admire my self control though. Only really let it have it once, rear tires barely hanging on and ripped right up to 50mph where I backed off.

Ultimately not my cup of tea overall, but I'm still a little V8 giddy hours later.

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Raza

Yep.  Unpolished in the corners, but they do have power.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

That was the shortest car review I've ever read. And I didn't get any information out of it, sorry.  :P

Apparently you didn't like it. That's all I could make out...
:lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SaltyDog

Quote from: Raza on October 08, 2006, 06:31:30 PM
Yep.  Unpolished in the corners, but they do have power.

That comes with the size.  However I bet one properly set up would really suprise you.  Same with the Mustang which I think you don't give a fair shake.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SVT666

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 08, 2006, 06:19:42 PM
Lol, man I could get used to that thing.

They gotta learn how to bottle that sound or something.

Didn't help that it was my dads cousins car and she was up from the states. I'm driving in a 40kph zone doing 40... mph...? oops, lol...

Gotta admire my self control though. Only really let it have it once, rear tires barely hanging on and ripped right up to 50mph where I backed off.

Ultimately not my cup of tea overall, but I'm still a little V8 giddy hours later.

Now THAT is a review.  I can tell that you were smiling a big toothy smile when you were typing that.  Sounds like you realy enjoyed it, so why isn't it your cup of tea?  I bet it's because it has too many cylinders and it is RWD, right?

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 08, 2006, 07:18:04 PM
That was the shortest car review I've ever read. And I didn't get any information out of it, sorry. :P

Apparently you didn't like it. That's all I could make out...
:lol:

Thats cause it wasn't really a review :p... More of a "Man V8s are fun" rant... :)

But since I'm here why not...

Interior was really nice. Not much to complain about except the shifter. Kinda boring looking and no seperate positions for D and "slapshift" mode.

Outward visibility is not so great. Ok in a straight line, but I was a little nervous going around corners as the A pillar is really in the way and the windows are quite small.

Nothing to complain about in terms of ride quality. Quite composed for its size, yet no confusing it with a sports car either.

All is forgotten when you punch the loud pedal though. I'm sorry, I'm a sucker for that sound. Sure its only a 4 spd, but it really doesn't need any additional gearing advantage, it pulls like hell no matter what.  The slapshift is ok, seems to lock up a bit better than others I've driven, great for listening to that wonderful engine come back down through the revs.

Only complaint comes back to the shifter. I couldn't figure out a way to put it back in D without going back to neutral and then back to D. My dad took it for a spin after I did, and I guess you can do it by holding it over and pushing up a little, but its not clear looking at it.

The exterior just screams arrest me. The graphics are a little much, but subtle as far as they go I guess. The spoiler seemed a little flimsy. Trunk is large, but small opening.

Bottom line, I loved the drivetrain. I did like the car, but I'm not a big ass sedan person. If I was, the outward visibility would be a concern for me.

I made sure that my dad drove it and that was kinda funny. He started drooling when he saw the pics of the new Challenger and claimed that he would get one. I hope he follows through on that because this engine with a manual tranny would be hilarious.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: HEMI666 on October 08, 2006, 08:05:28 PM
Now THAT is a review. I can tell that you were smiling a big toothy smile when you were typing that. Sounds like you realy enjoyed it, so why isn't it your cup of tea? I bet it's because it has too many cylinders and it is RWD, right?

lol, The fact that its an 8cyl RWD is what I like about it the most. Wasn't going to go crazy since it wasn't my car, but I did make it step out a bit pulling out onto my street.  :)

Put that drivetrain in something a little more sporting and I'd be all over it.

Raza

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 08, 2006, 08:02:08 PM
That comes with the size.  However I bet one properly set up would really suprise you.  Same with the Mustang which I think you don't give a fair shake.

I liked the Mustang.  That doesn't make it a good handler.  Passable, though.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

Quote from: Raza on October 08, 2006, 08:27:18 PM
I liked the Mustang.  That doesn't make it a good handler.  Passable, though.

See, I don't think it's set up to be.  There's tons of aftermarket for Mustangs that can solve that problem.

If Ben were here he'd say that Mustangs can't handle, but with work they can grip.  I say handle and grip are the same thing.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ciciusss

The Mustang GT handles better than what Raza has posted. The biggest issue is when you hit the Mustang's handling limits it has a great deal of understeer making it very difficult to rotate in the corners. My colleagues and I agree that the 02 Camaro Z28 with the SS package, to name another pony car, was a little better in the corners and was more willing to rotate at it's limits than the Mustang. The times that we ran showed that.  The Mustang, however, is more refined and is easier to live with.

SVT666

My last Mustang with a set of Ford Racing 5300C springs and Tokico shocks and struts went from shitty handling to outstanding handling for $750 CDN.  Pretty cheap for the kind of handling I got out of it.

omicron

I'd love to drive one, but the chances of that are fairly low.

Anyone want to contribute to the Pay For Omi's Plane Ticket To The US So He Can Drive The Cars Y'all Talk About Fund?

Raza

Quote from: SaltyDog on October 08, 2006, 08:45:49 PM
See, I don't think it's set up to be.  There's tons of aftermarket for Mustangs that can solve that problem.

If Ben were here he'd say that Mustangs can't handle, but with work they can grip.  I say handle and grip are the same thing.

They are not.  I think with some suspension work that Mustangs can handle well, though. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SJ_GTI

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 08, 2006, 08:22:19 PM
All is forgotten when you punch the loud pedal though. I'm sorry, I'm a sucker for that sound. Sure its only a 4 spd, but it really doesn't need any additional gearing advantage, it pulls like hell no matter what.? The slapshift is ok, seems to lock up a bit better than others I've driven, great for listening to that wonderful engine come back down through the revs.

I am pretty sure its a 5-speed automatic. From what I understand its the older 5-speed unit that MB used to use in its E-Class (which now uses the newer 7-speed).

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 09, 2006, 06:59:07 AM
I am pretty sure its a 5-speed automatic. From what I understand its the older 5-speed unit that MB used to use in its E-Class (which now uses the newer 7-speed).

If it was, 5th wasn't selectable with the slapshifter.

pommes-t

hmmmmmm V8....

If only gas was cheaper here...

TBR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 09, 2006, 09:23:20 AM

Wimmer should know, the shifter is from Benz too.

VTEC_Inside

I looked it up. It is definitely a 5spd tranny, but I know I never got a 5 to come up on the display.

cawimmer430

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 08, 2006, 08:22:19 PM
Thats cause it wasn't really a review :p... More of a "Man V8s are fun" rant... :)

But since I'm here why not...

Interior was really nice. Not much to complain about except the shifter. Kinda boring looking and no seperate positions for D and "slapshift" mode.

Outward visibility is not so great. Ok in a straight line, but I was a little nervous going around corners as the A pillar is really in the way and the windows are quite small.

Nothing to complain about in terms of ride quality. Quite composed for its size, yet no confusing it with a sports car either.

All is forgotten when you punch the loud pedal though. I'm sorry, I'm a sucker for that sound. Sure its only a 4 spd, but it really doesn't need any additional gearing advantage, it pulls like hell no matter what.  The slapshift is ok, seems to lock up a bit better than others I've driven, great for listening to that wonderful engine come back down through the revs.

Only complaint comes back to the shifter. I couldn't figure out a way to put it back in D without going back to neutral and then back to D. My dad took it for a spin after I did, and I guess you can do it by holding it over and pushing up a little, but its not clear looking at it.

The exterior just screams arrest me. The graphics are a little much, but subtle as far as they go I guess. The spoiler seemed a little flimsy. Trunk is large, but small opening.

Bottom line, I loved the drivetrain. I did like the car, but I'm not a big ass sedan person. If I was, the outward visibility would be a concern for me.

I made sure that my dad drove it and that was kinda funny. He started drooling when he saw the pics of the new Challenger and claimed that he would get one. I hope he follows through on that because this engine with a manual tranny would be hilarious.

Now that's a nice review.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

VTEC_Inside

Looks like someone else had the same problem I did:

http://www.allpar.com/reviews/2006/charger-review.html

"We did have a problem at lower speeds with getting the system to shut off; it would not do it when we bumped up the gears, and we ended up quickly going back into Neutral and returning to Drive, a clumsy workaround which essentially stopped us from using the AutoStick except for short testing purposes."

Basically the same thing I ended up doing.

MX793

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 10, 2006, 01:40:50 AM
I looked it up. It is definitely a 5spd tranny, but I know I never got a 5 to come up on the display.

How fast were you going when you tried to shift into 5th?  Might not let you go into 5th gear unless you're going above a certain speed (not sure why, but it's a possibility).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: MX793 on October 10, 2006, 03:40:17 PM
How fast were you going when you tried to shift into 5th? Might not let you go into 5th gear unless you're going above a certain speed (not sure why, but it's a possibility).

I was going under 40mph thats for sure. Based on that other review I read, I assume it never does show the number 5, just goes back to D, or at least its supposed to.

Raza

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on October 09, 2006, 09:23:20 AM

Since it doesn't use a dedicate shifting gate, there's no reason for it to say "5", technically.  You access 5th by slapping it into "D" and then downshift by slapping it out.  It's a rather seemless transition, I've found.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ChrisV

Quote from: omicron on October 09, 2006, 12:08:57 AM
I'd love to drive one, but the chances of that are fairly low.

Anyone want to contribute to the Pay For Omi's Plane Ticket To The US So He Can Drive The Cars Y'all Talk About Fund?

If i had teh funds, I'd get you up here to see all teh cars you only read about there...

As for the review, very good! Although I have to point out that things that seem "clunky" or non-intuitive on a quick test drive quickly become second nature as an owner, much like shifting a manual trans does after you've mastered it.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

omicron

Quote from: ChrisV on October 11, 2006, 07:24:53 AM
If i had teh funds, I'd get you up here to see all teh cars you only read about there...

As for the review, very good! Although I have to point out that things that seem "clunky" or non-intuitive on a quick test drive quickly become second nature as an owner, much like shifting a manual trans does after you've mastered it.

:rockon: I have my one day of American indulgence a year - there's an excellent American car show in February of each year not ten minutes up the road. Alas, owners don't like it if you hop in their cars and try to drive away.