2007 Jaquar XK
18 (47.4%)
2005 Cadillac XLR
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Colonel Cadillac

Lebowski

Quote from: BMWDave on October 09, 2006, 08:49:48 PM
A 996 Turbo would easily fulfill the need for a "comfortable" car, while at the same time having performance that will blow your mind.?

^ I agree again, both the 996 and 997 are perfectly reasonably comfortable, assuming you aren't talking about a GT3 or anything.  Same goes with the vette, oalthough obviously the interior is low-rent compared to the others he listed (with the exception of the XLR).

BMWDave

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 09, 2006, 08:53:32 PM
Wait a second.....

2003 911 Turbo
Buy it now price: $74,900
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-Porsche-911-Turbo-Coupe_W0QQitemZ130034042547QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10156QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are some better deals on there too!

And I'm sure there are numerous other deals like that.  Car Zeus, you ought to test drive the 996tt, the 997, the Corvette and then the Jag.  See which one you like best and which suits you the most. 

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Colonel Cadillac

Damnit, while I was searching for a 996 Turbo on ebay, you guys beat me to my genious idea.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Car Zeus on October 09, 2006, 07:43:28 PM
For one I'm quite tall and big so that rules out a Porsche. (6'5')

I just axed the SC because of it's limited leg room.

If that REALLY is the case, then all I have to say is sucks to be you!

I actually have an appointment with Hennessy Jaguar so I'll get to test drive the new 2007 XK.

If that REALLY is the case, then all I have to say is sucks to be you  :devil:

Raza

I'm 7'6" and I fit fine in a 911.

"2007 Jaquar XK - Great looking car!  But not that great performing and I would have doubts about reliability.  Also, I believe the last gen XK depreciated like a stone"

That's an interesting point.  I have little doubt that this model will hold its value better than the last, but if you want a gorgeous, lavish GT car with an automatic, get a last generation XKR.  Sure, it's not going to be the newest car on the block, but it'll most likely be the best looking.  I mean, I can only call the Ford-Taurus-mouthed new XK good looking in isolation.  Once I compare it to the last generation, the stupid grille, the harsher lines, the side vent; none of it looks good compared to the last car.

Another thing you didn't really mention is whether or not you'd consider a stickshift.  I figure since you're looking in this range you're not really thinking about shifting yourself.  If you want to waft about and cut people off on the highway, the 650Ci is most likely the route you'll take. 

I'd take the Corvette, I think, at this point.  It's too good a value to pass up; and hell, it's luxurious enough compared to what my minimum comfort levels are (I think it's too luxurious for its own good, actually), and everything on the inside looks better (and I mean this only aesthetically) than the 6er's dash, except for that ugly steering wheel. 

If you want an automatic, then I think the Jaguar is the best bet.  My dad even likes it, and he hates British cars.  And their food, but that's a separate issue altogether. 

But if you're inclined to the 650, I think that's the way you'll go.  Hopefully driving the XK will prove it worthy of our praise and recommendation.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Lebowski on October 09, 2006, 08:54:12 PM
^ I agree again, both the 996 and 997 are perfectly reasonably comfortable, assuming you aren't talking about a GT3 or anything.  Same goes with the vette, oalthough obviously the interior is low-rent compared to the others he listed (with the exception of the XLR).

The C5 Corvette's ride is far beyond comfortable (though jittery at high speeds, I felt), so I assume the C6 is at the very least as good; most likely better.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

You know Wimmer.

Wimmer = Mercedes-Benz Troll.

I voted for the MB CL. I love that new coupe from MB. You need to see it in real to appreciate it.
:rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on October 10, 2006, 05:25:09 AM
It's the 2005 CL he's looking at.

Oh, even better: cheaper.  :lol:

Want me to post my reviews, Car Zeus?
:praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MrH

I voted for the Jag.  Had you been looking at a 2008 Mercedes CL, I would have voted for that instead.  Like everyone on here already suggested, I'd take a 911 over any of that stuff any day, but you seem to be looking at less sporty cars.  So, Jaguar FTW!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

omicron

850CSi

I too point to the 911 or Corvette.

Out of the cars you suggested, I would get a Stick 650Ci - unless you plan on hitting the track, where you'd want an SMG.

If you're going the Automatic route and you want something nice to drive around in, I'd say British Green XK or a sexy black CL.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

omicron

Quote from: Raza on October 10, 2006, 07:43:31 PM
Give it to me in black or dark blue.

Has to be a dark colour, doesn't it.

Colonel Cadillac

Dark colors reveal scratches etc much easier.

omicron

Raza

Don't plan on scratching it, mate. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Dark colors and shades of silver/gray are my favorite on cars. And speaking of scratches I just noticed some on my driver side door :(
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Colonel Cadillac

They're hard to avoid and almost always not your fault.

JYODER240

Most can be either buffed or wet-sanded out though. Getting scratches is part of owning a car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Lebowski on October 09, 2006, 08:40:54 PM
I would never buy any of those cars.

I'd rather have a Corvette if I wanted to go low budget, or a 911 if I wanted to go higher budget, than any one of those.

2005 Cadillac XLR - Based on the corvette, more expensive than the corvette, and slower than the corvette.

Both the 911 and the Corvette are much better all around performers than any of the cars listed above, both are MUCH better values than any of the cars listed above, and both are perfectly tolerable/livable as daily drivers.

I love how unbiased your post is :praise:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Lebowski

omicron

Quote from: Lebowski on October 11, 2006, 04:47:02 PM
Whatever, I'm correct.

For the most part, yes. I don't want to throw a leg over a 6-series, whereas I'd happily give a new Vette a good seeing-to, over and over again. It arouses emotion, which is far more desirable than impressive competency.

Car Zeus

I don't think a Corvette falls under nice luxury coupe status? (ie: branding)

Besides a lot of people have them, I want something that's unique.

My final two choices are:

1. BMW 650i

2. 2007 XK

SaltyDog

You all are clearly forgetting a certain GT.

We have some avid fans here on the forums if you don't believe me.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

SaltyDog

Quote from: Car Zeus on October 12, 2006, 07:22:21 AM
I don't think a Corvette falls under nice luxury coupe status? (ie: branding)

:rolleyes:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Car Zeus

It's my money so roll your eyes all you want.

:ohyeah:

That Hyundai is clearly a winner!
:rockon:

TheIntrepid

Car Zeus... get a 650Ci or the XK and call it a day. Where does your decision stand now?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]