Used Entry Level Luxury Sedans

Started by AKL, October 13, 2006, 09:47:36 PM

AKL

I am thinking of purchasing a second car. This will probably be done next year. I decided to look into used entry level luxury sedans like, that Acura TL, Infiniti G35, BMW 3 Series, Audi A4...

What's the best price I can get?

I am shopping in CDN dollars (btw), and my budget is basically nothing exceeding 40 grand. *I noticed that many of the sedans I listed have high residual values which do not work to my advantage  :banghead: I've never bought a used car so, I have this "fear" that the car may not hold up well later on. I want to keep the car for more than 3 years.

The 2007 Infiniti G35 looks pretty damn good, but I probably can't afford it. It's the interior improvement that makes the new G35 more desirable.

Any other suggestions? I'm open to suggestions on other vehicles (new or used)

My general criteria:
35 grand and under CDN!
Good handler
Fun to Drive
Quiet
Luxurious
Powerful
Interior Design and Quality must be good
.... that's all I can think off  :huh:

---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

thewizard16

I'd take an A4 out of that group, but I'm in love with Audi's styling/design. The 3 series and IS would be my second choices, but pretty distant. The TL is a nice looking car, but it doesn't do much for me.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

At the risk of being drunk, Lexus IS300 5 speed.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Waitaminniit....

You've got an Accord, and you want to buy another sedan!?

Why not get something brilliant and impractical, like an MR-2 Spyder?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AKL

Quote from: thewizard16 on October 13, 2006, 09:51:18 PM
I'd take an A4 out of that group, but I'm in love with Audi's styling/design. The 3 series and IS would be my second choices, but pretty distant. The TL is a nice looking car, but it doesn't do much for me.

The A4 is quite nice! Love the interior, a pretty nice handler, and although it's tight, it's not CRAZY ASS tight like the IS. Just checked prices at Autotrader, it seems I can get a 04 A4 for 30 grand, not bad, not bad.

I probably can't consider the IS300, I actually like the car but, i'm quite tall and the IS300 is very uncomfortable me. It is quite cheap though.

I must admit I am increasingly leaning towards the Infiniti G35  :lol: The only downfall to it is the interior quality IMO.
---------------------
---------------------

Raza

Try an E46 325i.  I think the 325i best embodied the E46. 

But get an IS300 5 speed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AKL

Quote from: Raza on October 13, 2006, 10:02:42 PM
Waitaminniit....

You've got an Accord, and you want to buy another sedan!?

Why not get something brilliant and impractical, like an MR-2 Spyder?

I wish I could!
But my family would odviously disagree  :rolleyes:
I have to compromise and find something that's both practical and brilliant  :ohyeah:

I actually want a VW GTI, it's practical in some ways  :lol:

I love the E46 325i actually, I was told having a used BMW is a "no-no" True? False?  :huh: Sorry, new to this whole used car stuff!
---------------------
---------------------

SVT_Power

Quote from: AKL on October 13, 2006, 10:09:33 PM
I wish I could!
But my family would odviously disagree  :rolleyes:
I have to compromise and find something that's both practical and brilliant  :ohyeah:

I actually want a VW GTI, it's practical in some ways  :lol:

I love the E46 325i actually, I was told having a used BMW is a "no-no" True? False?  :huh: Sorry, new to this whole used car stuff!

Well you might be in for a wild ride with electricals with the 325i. That's why its a gamble to buy used cars right :ohyeah: :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

saxonyron

I've only bought 2 new cars for myself, and many used ones.? At this point, work in a 100k mile warranty into the purchase price.? No matter what brand or what your bias is, it takes the fear factor out of the used car buying process.? I've picked up 3 Expeditions over the years (including my current '06 with 20,000 miles).? Never gotten hurt.? Closest came when my '02 needed $3k of front end work.? All I paid was the $100 Ford ESP warranty deductible.? :rockon:

My vote would go for an A4 (surprise!) or a G35 Coupe - since this is a 2nd car, a big 2 door is still semi-practical, no?? Nothing beats the A4's interior, and I love the Audi driving feel (a lot more than the G35's I almost bought this year).? But the G35 is a worthy option.? I'm also tall (6'7") and have more room in the A4's driver seat than I did with the larger G35.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

ifcar

cawimmer430

Well, I know my MB's best, so I'll recommend a C230 (2.5 V6) or a C280 (3.0 V6) for you. Both are zippy and come with a 6-speed manual. Also, with the new C-Class just around the corner, expect them to be available at "dumping prices". ;)

Here, hope this helps (my C320 CDI review).
:ohyeah:

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=64826&forumID=21&search=1&searchstring=

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 14, 2006, 05:45:29 AM
Well, I know my MB's best, so I'll recommend a C230 (2.5 V6) or a C280 (3.0 V6) for you. Both are zippy and come with a 6-speed manual. Also, with the new C-Class just around the corner, expect them to be available at "dumping prices". ;)

Here, hope this helps (my C320 CDI review).
:ohyeah:

Link: http://www.caranddriver.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=64826&forumID=21&search=1&searchstring=

Our C280 only comes with an automatic.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ro51092

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ChrisV

Quote from: AKL on October 13, 2006, 10:09:33 PM
I wish I could!
But my family would odviously disagree :rolleyes:
I have to compromise and find something that's both practical and brilliant :ohyeah:

Why woudl they disagree if it's your second car? If you need to take the family anywhere, then you use the Accord, right? That's why second cars can BE the fun cars.. ;)
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT_Power

Quote from: saxonyron on October 14, 2006, 12:26:51 AM
I've only bought 2 new cars for myself, and many used ones.  At this point, work in a 100k mile warranty into the purchase price.  No matter what brand or what your bias is, it takes the fear factor out of the used car buying process.  I've picked up 3 Expeditions over the years (including my current '06 with 20,000 miles).  Never gotten hurt.  Closest came when my '02 needed $3k of front end work.  All I paid was the $100 Ford ESP warranty deductible.  :rockon:

My vote would go for an A4 (surprise!) or a G35 Coupe - since this is a 2nd car, a big 2 door is still semi-practical, no?  Nothing beats the A4's interior, and I love the Audi driving feel (a lot more than the G35's I almost bought this year).  But the G35 is a worthy option.  I'm also tall (6'7") and have more room in the A4's driver seat than I did with the larger G35.

Does that make you the tree of Carspin? :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Get a GTI, three or five door; they're incredibly practical.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on October 14, 2006, 09:31:57 AM
Our C280 only comes with an automatic.

Damn. Another reason to move to Europe. :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

saxonyron

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 11:13:32 AM
Does that make you the tree of Carspin? :lol:

:lol:

Possibly, but there are a few other tall guys out there, no? 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

AKL

Quote from: ifcar on October 14, 2006, 04:18:21 AM
Manual or automatic?

I'm pushing manual  :praise:

But my GF, brother and parents are against that  :banghead:- at least 1 out of the 3 know how to drive manual, the rest can drive the Accord  :ohyeah:  My dad hasn't driven manual in a long time actually. When we were servicing our Accord, he wanted to test drive a Civic manual. 20 years without driving manual, he still got it! He drove like he drives manual everyday.

I think I'm leaning more towards the E46 3 series, it's a great performer. I felt comfortable in it, ample power, and best of all it's fun to drive!
Wimmer: The C-Class is great vehicle, but I prefer the 3 series  :devil:

I may start looking around soon just to get a feel of the prices.
The GTI is a good consideration too actually, I'll look into it. It's very practical, and a awesome driving car.

I'm hoping by 2007 I can get a either a E46 3er, or (whatever else) at 30-ish-35 grand and under- and hopefully work in a warranty!

Thanks for all the advice, can't wait to shop for a new (or used) car!

---------------------
---------------------

SJ_GTI

If you want a GTI, I say get that!

But, of the cars you're looking at I think my favorites would be the 325i or A4. I had a 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro with sport package while living in Montreal. The AWD was handy for the winters up there. I almost got a 325i at the time, but went with an A4 at the last second and I never regretted it.

That being said, I don't think my current car was a step down in the least. I miss the AWD, but otherwise I think the GTI does most things better. It has just as much room (as far as I can tell), the seats are fantastic (though I was very happy with the A4...I drove from Montreal to South Jersey several times in that car and never got sore), more powerful engine, better fuel economy, and better handling (IMHO).

In the end though you should really just test drive them all and buy the one that suits you the best. All the cars you are looking at are pretty great cars.

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on October 14, 2006, 02:21:47 PM
:lol:

Possibly, but there are a few other tall guys out there, no??

I think Car Zeus said the other day that he's 6'7," or something like that.

I wish I were a little taller.? I'm average height (5'11") but I work with a bunch of taller guys, and I feel like a shrimp.

On topic, I like Ron's original suggestion of getting a warranty.? With the type of car you're looking at, repairs outside of warranty can be very expensive.

I'm partial to the A4 myself.? If I were getting a second car, that would be right at the top of my list.? If you're into something that leans sportier, the IS300 drives great, though it has a bit of a "high-end ricer" image, which is unfortunate.? The 3-series is fine, also.

I like the Saab 9-3, but it's not up there with the others in terms of drive quality, IMO.? I also don't think it's as solid, and Saabs can be quite finnicky in terms of reliability.? It wouldn't be my first choice, though you could pick one up more inexpensively than the other options.

Another one to consider, if you like the looks, is the Mercedes C-Class.

I suggest you just start driving a few of them, to get a feel.? Check out edmunds.com for reasonable price ranges, and go with your gut.? I love car shopping and buying.? I only like shopping for 3 things -- cars, houses, and tools.? Enjoy.

BTW, AKL, welcome.  I don't believe we've spoken before.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Also, try a WRX.  They're fantastic fun, quick, and if you get a Limited model, you can get entry-luxury features like leather, heated seats, and auto-dimming mirrors.  I'd take one over a 3 series.  Plus, AWD has to be a bonus in the Great White North, yeah?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

The MazdaSpeed6 obviously.
But is it cheap in Canada? IF you could get it, it's an awesome car. It's got 4wd and is lots o' fun apparantly.

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 03:50:33 PM
I think Car Zeus said the other day that he's 6'7," or something like that.

I wish I were a little taller.  I'm average height (5'11") but I work with a bunch of taller guys, and I feel like a shrimp.

You damn white guys :P I feel like a dwarf whenever I'm with my white friends because I'm only 5'8

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 04:33:24 PM
You damn white guys :P I feel like a dwarf whenever I'm with my white friends because I'm only 5'8

:lol:  I see you're from Toronto.  Are you an Asian dude?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 04:37:46 PM
:lol:  I see you're from Toronto.  Are you an Asian dude?

Yup korean. And the thing that makes me feel short the most is that one of my good friends is white (the only white guy friend I have in the school) and he plays like provincial volleyball and he's almost 6'4 :banghead:

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 04:44:47 PM
Yup korean. And the thing that makes me feel short the most is that one of my good friends is white (the only white guy friend I have in the school) and he plays like provincial volleyball and he's almost 6'4 :banghead:

Don't worry about it, man.  Just keep telling yourself that there's a part of your body other than your legs that is longer than his.... :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 04:47:38 PM
Don't worry about it, man.  Just keep telling yourself that there's a part of your body other than your legs that is longer than his.... :lol:

:lol: I just outsmart him in Math and occasionally in comp. engineering class :praise: What an asian thing to do now that i think about it :lol:

AKL

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 14, 2006, 03:10:50 PM
If you want a GTI, I say get that!

But, of the cars you're looking at I think my favorites would be the 325i or A4. I had a 2005 A4 1.8T Quattro with sport package while living in Montreal. The AWD was handy for the winters up there. I almost got a 325i at the time, but went with an A4 at the last second and I never regretted it.

That being said, I don't think my current car was a step down in the least. I miss the AWD, but otherwise I think the GTI does most things better. It has just as much room (as far as I can tell), the seats are fantastic (though I was very happy with the A4...I drove from Montreal to South Jersey several times in that car and never got sore), more powerful engine, better fuel economy, and better handling (IMHO).

In the end though you should really just test drive them all and buy the one that suits you the best. All the cars you are looking at are pretty great cars.

Yes, the GTI is a great consideration. Oh you lived in Montreal before I see? The drivers there are CRAZY! I admit I'm an aggressive driver at times, but the drivers there are always cutting eachother! What scared me actually was my Best Western valet driver. I saw him reverse my fucking Accord down a road, honking the drivers to "pass him". My heart literally stopped beating.
---------------------
---------------------