Used Entry Level Luxury Sedans

Started by AKL, October 13, 2006, 09:47:36 PM

AKL

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 03:50:33 PM
I think Car Zeus said the other day that he's 6'7," or something like that.

I wish I were a little taller.  I'm average height (5'11") but I work with a bunch of taller guys, and I feel like a shrimp.

On topic, I like Ron's original suggestion of getting a warranty.  With the type of car you're looking at, repairs outside of warranty can be very expensive.

I'm partial to the A4 myself.  If I were getting a second car, that would be right at the top of my list.  If you're into something that leans sportier, the IS300 drives great, though it has a bit of a "high-end ricer" image, which is unfortunate.  The 3-series is fine, also.

I like the Saab 9-3, but it's not up there with the others in terms of drive quality, IMO.  I also don't think it's as solid, and Saabs can be quite finnicky in terms of reliability.  It wouldn't be my first choice, though you could pick one up more inexpensively than the other options.

Another one to consider, if you like the looks, is the Mercedes C-Class.

I suggest you just start driving a few of them, to get a feel.  Check out edmunds.com for reasonable price ranges, and go with your gut.  I love car shopping and buying.  I only like shopping for 3 things -- cars, houses, and tools.  Enjoy.

BTW, AKL, welcome.  I don't believe we've spoken before.

I do believe we've spoken before, Hello!
The A4 is a fine car, what model do you suggest I "get": 1.8T Quattro?
Also, I noticed that Audi seems to have this "worst reliability" thing hovering over it.

Having a warranty with it will help that fear disappear right?  :ohyeah:
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

AKL

Quote from: Raghavan on October 14, 2006, 04:09:23 PM
The MazdaSpeed6 obviously.
But is it cheap in Canada? IF you could get it, it's an awesome car. It's got 4wd and is lots o' fun apparantly.

Not so cheap in Canada, it ranges from 35-41 Grand. I'd rather just opt up to a Infiniti G35, if I'm approaching 40 grand. I'll still check it out, I may get a good discount on it! You never know....

P.S. Also, I'm asian and from Toronto  :lol: But i'm quite tall around 6'1", maybe even taller. I've never measured my height in a while.
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 04:48:39 PM
:lol: I just outsmart him in Math and occasionally in comp. engineering class :praise: What an asian thing to do now that i think about it :lol:

Have you ever seen "Average Asian" on comedy central?  It's a spoof on popular stereotypes about Asians.  There's this Asian kid whom everybody just assumes will be supernaturally smart in things like math.  Of course, they also assume that he'll be a horrible driver.  The skit shows how scared to death they are when he's just driving normally.

How's your driving, man?  :lol: :cheers:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: AKL on October 14, 2006, 05:11:02 PM
I do believe we've spoken before, Hello!
The A4 is a fine car, what model do you suggest I "get": 1.8T Quattro?
Also, I noticed that Audi seems to have this "worst reliability" thing hovering over it.

Having a warranty with it will help that fear disappear right?? :ohyeah:

If I got the A4, I'd get the bigger engine.? I have a lead foot, and like to feel some power and speed when I nail the accelerator.? No sense in having a luxury car if that feeling is missing, IMO.

I don't think a warranty is a 100% solution for reliability problems.? It's still a major PITA to have to take a car in for repairs regularly.

Get some more information about reliability.? I hadn't been aware that there were serious problems with Audi these days.? Most brands have a certain achilles heel.? For BMW, it's electrical systems.? Both my BMWs have had problems with this, though it was never anything major.? Other than that, I had no problems whatsoever with either of my BMWs.

In any case, whether we've spoken before or not, it's great to have you aboard.  Any lover of luxury sport cars is a friend of mine... :ohyeah:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 05:19:32 PM
Have you ever seen "Average Asian" on comedy central?  It's a spoof on popular stereotypes about Asians.  There's this Asian kid whom everybody just assumes will be supernaturally smart in things like math.  Of course, they also assume that he'll be a horrible driver.  The skit shows how scared to death they are when he's just driving normally.

How's your driving, man?  :lol: :cheers:

My driving is fine. Better than those steoreotypcal asians by a long shot.  :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

My Passat has the newer 1.8T, with 170bhp.  It's a peppy engine, and if my car were a stick, I can tell you I wouldn't be getting rid of it.

The 1.8T has one of the strongest aftermarket followings, if you want to do minor things to get more power.  I think it's a better bet, just like the 2.0T probably better than the 3.2L V6.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Meh, I was pretty happy with the power from the 1.8T...but I did have a manual.

I had some automatic FWD versions as loaners, and they felt more sluggish. AWD and automatic is probably not a good idea with the 1.8T.

If you are getting an automatic, i would definitely go back to suggesting a GTI...or maybe a Jetta 2.0T (if you prefer a sedan). They come with VW/Audi's DSG transmission. Its a dual-clutch sequential manual transmission. Probably the most technologically impressive transmission in any maintream car (and nicer than the transmissions found on my exotics), and it works smoothly and seamlesses in an everyday commuter. Its really fantastic technology that adds to the driving experience.

I also should reccomend the TSX if you are looking at this class. My mother has a 2004 TSX (automatic with nav) and its a really nice entry-level luxury car. Its not as nice as an A4 or 3er, but its nice enough to be worth consideraion I think. Obviously I didn't buy one myself, but its more due to different personal taste rather than not liking the car.

Raza

Clutch on those things are a pain in the ass.  I'd definitely take a GLI over one.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza on October 14, 2006, 05:35:12 PM
Clutch on those things are a pain in the ass.? I'd definitely take a GLI over one.

So would I, but, everyone has different tastes.  ;)

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 05:26:31 PM
My driving is fine. Better than those steoreotypcal asians by a long shot.? :lol:

:lol:
Do you like to go fast?

My brother had a friend whose dad was from Taiwan, and that guy (the dad) used to drive at literally 5 mph on the streets around our house.  Un-f-ing-believable.... :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 05:46:34 PM
:lol:
Do you like to go fast?

My brother had a friend whose dad was from Taiwan, and that guy (the dad) used to drive at literally 5 mph on the streets around our house.  Un-f-ing-believable.... :lol:

Yes I like to go fast :lol: But the explorer doesn't really let me - I've hit the limiter at 98mph so that's pretty much as fast as I've driven :banghead:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Today I did something I know I shouldn't have done and almost regret doing. Just consider it one of those crazy things teens do once. Went on a grass field and slid around everywhere on the field.  :banghead:

Raza

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 06:26:30 PM
Today I did something I know I shouldn't have done and almost regret doing. Just consider it one of those crazy things teens do once. Went on a grass field and slid around everywhere on the field.  :banghead:

Did that in a loaner C230K sportscoupe once (more like several times).  Almost got stuck.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza on October 14, 2006, 06:27:40 PM
Did that in a loaner C230K sportscoupe once (more like several times).  Almost got stuck.

I'll be passing by that field and hopefully I won't see any kids trying to play soccer around the tire marks (which are literally everywhere). I think I was 75% there of rolling the damn thing when I lost control of it trying to get oversteer on the gravel track shifting from side to side and I spun out at one point.

Raza

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 06:30:29 PM
I'll be passing by that field and hopefully I won't see any kids trying to play soccer around the tire marks (which are literally everywhere). I think I was 75% there of rolling the damn thing when I lost control of it trying to get oversteer on the gravel track shifting from side to side and I spun out at one point.

I've also turned the C230 into a small aircraft. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 14, 2006, 05:39:19 PM
So would I, but, everyone has different tastes.  ;)

I know, some people don't like whiskey...the loons.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza on October 14, 2006, 07:01:12 PM
I've also turned the C230 into a small aircraft. 

Well this is our car, not a loaner so I think I'll save myself from doing that

Raza

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 07:58:19 PM
Well this is our car, not a loaner so I think I'll save myself from doing that

You'd need more speed and a steeper grade...but I think I can do it.  I'll be right there.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT_Power

Quote from: Raza on October 14, 2006, 08:01:03 PM
You'd need more speed and a steeper grade...but I think I can do it.  I'll be right there.

Well getting to the field there is a rather steep hill (almost 45 degrees) and its about 20 ft so I could try to jump it but there isn't much room on top.

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 06:26:30 PM
Today I did something I know I shouldn't have done and almost regret doing. Just consider it one of those crazy things teens do once. Went on a grass field and slid around everywhere on the field.? :banghead:

Sounds fun, actually.  Though tearing up a field was not such a great thing to do.  I thought Asians were supposed to be model citizens.... :lol:

I still like to do donuts when there's snow or ice.

My best time with donuts relatively recently was a few years ago.? It had snowed and thawed over the weekend, and then refrozen.? The parking lot where I parked my car at the train station was a flawless sheet of ice, because it wasn't used over the weekend during the thaw and refreezing.

I got home late that Monday night, and almost all the other cars were gone.? The temptation was just too great to resist, and I started doing wild donuts.? It was a lot of fun, and really got the adrenaline flowing.

I know a guy who got busted doing this and was given a ticket for reckless driving, and lost his license for 6 months.? (I think he probably could have avoided that if he'd worked the court system skillfully).

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 08:20:38 PM
Sounds fun, actually.

I still like to do donuts when there's snow or ice.

My best time with donuts relatively recently was a few years ago.  It had snowed and thawed over the weekend, and then refrozen.  The parking lot where I parked my car at the train station was a flawless sheet of ice, because it wasn't used over the weekend during the thaw and refreezing.

I got home late that Monday night, and almost all the other cars were gone.  The temptation was just too great to resist, and I started doing wild donuts.  It was a lot of fun, and really got the adrenaline flowing.

I know a guy who got busted doing this and was given a ticket for reckless driving, and lost his license for 6 months.  (I think he probably could have avoided that if he'd worked the court system skillfully).

Well I did it on a public field with soccer nets and a track around it and ruined the grass. I think I might have been arrested if a cop car came by. But there would be no way a cop would see me unless he also decided to come down to the field and do the same lol

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 08:23:55 PM
Well I did it on a public field with soccer nets and a track around it and ruined the grass. I think I might have been arrested if a cop car came by. But there would be no way a cop would see me unless he also decided to come down to the field and do the same lol

Hah, there is always that thrill you get when doing that you know could lead to you getting arrested.  A combination of exhileration, fear, adrenaline pumping, etc.

The desire to do those things seem to be part of human nature, even when you know they're wrong, and even when you know that doing them is not worth the possible consequences.

I can't say I approve of damaging something that is there for people to use.  It's wrong.  But I can understand where the urge to do it comes from, since I have experienced these things myself when I was younger.

Raza

Most of my life is illegal.  The underage drinking, the quaaludes, the coke, the fun...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

dazzleman

Quote from: Raza on October 14, 2006, 08:43:48 PM
Most of my life is illegal.? The underage drinking, the quaaludes, the coke, the fun...

What fun?

ro51092

Quote from: Raza on October 14, 2006, 08:43:48 PM
Most of my life is illegal.  The underage drinking, the quaaludes, the coke, the fun...

You do not do coke.  ;)

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 08:33:39 PM
Hah, there is always that thrill you get when doing that you know could lead to you getting arrested.  A combination of exhileration, fear, adrenaline pumping, etc.

The desire to do those things seem to be part of human nature, even when you know they're wrong, and even when you know that doing them is not worth the possible consequences.

I can't say I approve of damaging something that is there for people to use.  It's wrong.  But I can understand where the urge to do it comes from, since I have experienced these things myself when I was younger.

Well it always seems what's fun is wrong and what's wrong is fun :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 09:28:41 PM
Well it always seems what's fun is wrong and what's wrong is fun :lol:

Yes, that is often the case.

Life is one big test.  Can we resist the short-term allure of fun things that turn out to be wrong?  Things that are wrong eventually come back to haunt us, if they become a way of life.

Most things in life can either be friend or foe.  Think of fire and water.  When controlled, fire heats our homes, cooks our food, and runs our car engines.  When not controlled, it causes incredible destruction.  Water is indispensible when uncontrolled.  Uncontrolled, it brings untold misery.

Sex is like that too.  As are most of the fun things in life.

It's a lot of fun to do illegal things.  I know that well.  Believe me.  But it has to be controlled.  :cheers:

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 09:35:45 PM
Yes, that is often the case.

Life is one big test.  Can we resist the short-term allure of fun things that turn out to be wrong?  Things that are wrong eventually come back to haunt us, if they become a way of life.

Most things in life can either be friend or foe.  Think of fire and water.  When controlled, fire heats our homes, cooks our food, and runs our car engines.  When not controlled, it causes incredible destruction.  Water is indispensible when uncontrolled.  Uncontrolled, it brings untold misery.

Sex is like that too.  As are most of the fun things in life.

It's a lot of fun to do illegal things.  I know that well.  Believe me.  But it has to be controlled.  :cheers:

Well you're giving one heck of a life lesson. In the same sentence you tell me "It's a lot of fun to do illegal things.  I know that well.  Believe me." followed by "But it has to be controlled." :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 14, 2006, 09:42:47 PM
Well you're giving one heck of a life lesson. In the same sentence you tell me "It's a lot of fun to do illegal things.? I know that well.? Believe me." followed by "But it has to be controlled." :lol:

Well, I try.  :lol:

The funny thing is, not only do I not regret anything illegal that I did, but I wish I did more of those things.  As long as they were minor enough that I didn't get caught, or get into serious trouble.

It really is all about control.  I've always enjoyed breaking rules, and I still do.  I used to drive through tolls without paying, even if I had the money in my pocket.  Just for a cheap thrill.  Sometimes, I got together with some friends, and we used to drive around blowing through red lights and stop signs, going the wrong way up one-way streets, and of course, continuous and constant speeding.

But even with all this, there was a line I wouldn't cross.  I still love to speed under the right circumstances, but there's still a line there that I won't cross.

Control, man.  Control these things; don't allow them to control you.  That's the secret.

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 14, 2006, 09:48:56 PM
Well, I try.  :lol:

The funny thing is, not only do I not regret anything illegal that I did, but I wish I did more of those things.  As long as they were minor enough that I didn't get caught, or get into serious trouble.

It really is all about control.  I've always enjoyed breaking rules, and I still do.  I used to drive through tolls without paying, even if I had the money in my pocket.  Just for a cheap thrill.  Sometimes, I got together with some friends, and we used to drive around blowing through red lights and stop signs, going the wrong way up one-way streets, and of course, continuous and constant speeding.

But even with all this, there was a line I wouldn't cross.  I still love to speed under the right circumstances, but there's still a line there that I won't cross.

Control, man.  Control these things; don't allow them to control you.  That's the secret.

I think in terms of speeding, it's how many people are around you. Today I was on a major street (60 km/h) and the road was completely empty so I hit 140km/h. I think that's much safer than weaving through traffic at 70-80km/h during busy times.