Any way to fix a pitted windshield?

Started by crv16, October 16, 2006, 11:28:50 AM

crv16

My 2003 Civic has about 85k miles on it now.  Three years of road grime has taken it's toll on my windshield.  There are thousands of tiny pits in the windshield.  Early morning sun makes visibility tough.

Has anyone had any success clearing up these pits?  If nothing can help, I'll probably spring for a new windshield in the spring - after another winter of sanded roads.  Luckily they are pretty cheap - about $200 installed for the Civic.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

The Pirate

Quote from: crv16 on October 16, 2006, 11:28:50 AM
My 2003 Civic has about 85k miles on it now.  Three years of road grime has taken it's toll on my windshield.  There are thousands of tiny pits in the windshield.  Early morning sun makes visibility tough.

Has anyone had any success clearing up these pits?  If nothing can help, I'll probably spring for a new windshield in the spring - after another winter of sanded roads.  Luckily they are pretty cheap - about $200 installed for the Civic.

I can't offer any wisdom on the windshield woes, but you must drive a ton.  85K miles on a 2003 is impressive.  I have 111K on a 2000 (Civic as well) and I thought I was racking the miles on.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

280Z Turbo

They can fill a few pits, but not as many as you describe.

Eye of the Tiger

Yeah, take a torch to it and melt the glass to fill the pits in. Of course, the window might be a bit distorted afterwards. :lol:

Or just get a new one. :ohyeah:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

S204STi

You could always try one of the products at Autozone or another chain parts store; they make automotive glass restorer kits, which may or may not work.  I tried a lens kit and it worked marginally, but window/windshield glass is another thing.

giant_mtb

If by "pits" you mean little tiny dots, then I have the same issue.  Hundreds and hundreds of little tiny dots that you can see when light hits the glass (especially in the morning).  I thought it was either natural or I got a bad windshield or something.  Hmph.  :huh:

sparkplug

My dad hit a buzzard with the van. Totalled the vehicle. No, not really. That's a good way to fix a windshield. And by the way, you may be surprised by how much a new windshield. You really need collision.

Now as for your windshield. I believe you need to keep it clean as possible on the inside and and outside because fixing all them pits is probably not going to work as well as you may think.

Nebtek2002

If you live where it's cold and you have low-deductible "comp", you can hope the sun will cause one of the pits to spread across the windshield.

Or, and you didn't hear it from me (some evil entity entered my computer and used my screen name unbeknown to me, I swear, officer ), you could try to defrost the windshield with boiling water.

Seriously, I think that as a goodwill gesture, the insurance companies ought to go "halvsies" on a
new windshield every 3 to 5 years with their loyal long-term customers who haven't broken one in that period of time. It would do as much for safety as this high-tech stuff that we take on faith will work when we really need it.

A little reminder that "We want to keep you safe and your 3(-to-5 )-year-old windshield is likely to be extremely pitted and need replaced , so we're offering you a new one half off at one of the fine glass shops listed below," would say a lot more to me than a talking gecko, "In Good Hands"," Like A Good Neighbor",etc.

American insurance companies should grab hold of this idea before some Asian insurance companies do. Who's to say that Japan, Inc. doesn't have YOU in their cross-hairs next, State Farm,et. al.?

Raza

Buzzard...that's a word you don't hear in everyday life.  I've hit a bunch of squirrels, but I don't think I've ever seen a buzzard.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.