Saved Myself Hundreds

Started by Catman, October 21, 2006, 02:14:56 PM

Catman

I had a couple of issues with the Sequoia.  My sunroof was creaking and my power window in the tailgate was not operating.  Went over to tundrasolutions and grabbed both technical service bulletins that were issued regarding these problems. 

The sunroof was an easy fix.  The TSB said to take the whole headliner down.  I don't understand why since the area you need access to is easily accessed by peeling the molding away from the area where the headliner and sunroof meet.  It just called for a nut to be screwed down over the top of a speed nut already there.  Ten minute job.

The rear window TSB called for a motor replacement.  I did all the steps but that and it works fine now.  There was an instruction to remove a spring and mounting bracket permanently so I'm suspecting that was the cause.  One hour job.  I know for a fact Toyota charges about $400 for that TSB outside of warranty. :rockon:

S204STi

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on October 21, 2006, 03:08:32 PM
Awesome, way to go! :ohyeah:

R-inge, this reminds me of when you were telling me the advantages about diagnosing a problem, rather than just replacing every possible part without really figuring out which one was causing the problem.

Good work, Catman.  It's always nice to save some money.  BTW, have you switched to GEICO?  :P
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

S204STi

Quote from: dazzleman on October 21, 2006, 03:17:43 PM
R-inge, this reminds me of when you were telling me the advantages about diagnosing a problem, rather than just replacing every possible part without really figuring out which one was causing the problem.

Good work, Catman.  It's always nice to save some money.  BTW, have you switched to GEICO?  :P

lol, remember those cats at the F1 place who were joking around about  that?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Catman on October 21, 2006, 02:14:56 PM
The rear window TSB called for a motor replacement.? I did all the steps but that and it works fine now.? There was an instruction to remove a spring and mounting bracket permanently so I'm suspecting that was the cause.?
You had to remove pieces to fix it??
Why'd they put those pieces in in the first place then??    :confused:
Will

The Pirate

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 21, 2006, 07:01:16 PM

We've had that happen with recalls on bicycles too.  It's usually a spacing issue or screwy chainline or something like that.  The worst is with the new 10 speed stuff, it's ultra finicky and they definitely haven't worked out the kinks yet.  Road bikes with a 10 speed and a triple are a nightmare to adjust.

It is weird to work on a car (or a bike) and have parts left over though.  Makes you wonder...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Catman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 21, 2006, 07:01:16 PM

No idea.  It works now though. :ohyeah:

Danish

Come to think of it, removing parts permanently does sound weird. Then again, you now have less parts to go bad :ohyeah:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

crv16

I too get great satisfaction doing stuff like this.  I just put new rotors and pads on my Civic last week, plus flushed the brake lines with fresh fluid.  Spend under $150 for everything.

It kills me to go to the dealer for service.  Not only do they charge exorbinant labor rates, but they usually charge flat rate times for things you know take way less time than stated.
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed

SVT_Power

Quote from: dazzleman on October 21, 2006, 03:17:43 PM

That geico thing reminds me of a hockey game last year. Middle of the game the linesman is standing near our bench and our coach whispers to his ear - "Hey I just switched to GEICO and saved 15%" just like in the commercials :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

dazzleman

Quote from: M_power on October 23, 2006, 11:14:25 PM
That geico thing reminds me of a hockey game last year. Middle of the game the linesman is standing near our bench and our coach whispers to his ear - "Hey I just switched to GEICO and saved 15%" just like in the commercials :lol:

Some of those GEICO commercials are pretty funny.

My favorite is the couple living in the house with the really low ceilings.  It's pretty funny what happens when the husband tries to have sex with his wife in that house.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Quote from: dazzleman on October 25, 2006, 07:13:09 PM
Some of those GEICO commercials are pretty funny.

My favorite is the couple living in the house with the really low ceilings.  It's pretty funny what happens when the husband tries to have sex with his wife in that house.

Yeah, the 15% smaller household.

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sparkplug

Geico??? I thought that was Gecko insurance. I like the one where the caveman see the ad on the wall and just shakes his head.