First Drive: 2005 Ford Mustang convertible

Started by BMWDave, May 31, 2005, 04:32:24 PM

BMWDave

Link with Pictures

By Canadian Driver.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

The pics show both coupes and convertibles, suggesting that they had a chance to sample them back-to-back. It would be interesting to see how significant the differences were between the two.

Raghavan

too bad there's no manual available for the V6.

ifcar

Quotetoo bad there's no manual available for the V6.
I don't know where you got that info, but it's entirely inaccurate.  

Raghavan

i thought there was a shortage of manuals, and all of them were being used for the GT?

BMWDave

i thought there was a shortage of manuals, and all of them were being used for the GT?
Theres a shortage of GTs, if you can call it that, as they are in high demand, but there is no particular shortage of any manual.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Theres a shortage of GTs, if you can call it that, as they are in high demand, but there is no particular shortage of any manual.
the five speed manual was in short supply. that's what i heard anyway.

ifcar

Even if that is true, it's possible that they are diverting more of the production for GTs, but the manual is still available for the V6 versions.

Raghavan

If that is true, it's possible that they are diverting more of the production for GTs, but the manual is still available for the V6 versions.
o. i see.

Raza

These cars are hot right now..best time to buy will be in 6-8 months when everyone realizes that it's just a Mustang.  In a year, you won't be able to turn the corner without running into one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

i wonder how the next gen will look...

Raza

Quotei wonder how the next gen will look...
I don't know, but if it gets anymore retro, it'll be a horse and buggy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

:lol:  :lol:
but how DO you update a retro car?

Fire It Up

You dont. You let it fail (see Prowler Thunderbird etc)  :lol:  

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raghavan

You dont. You let it fail (see Prowler Thunderbird etc)  :lol:
then the MINI, beetle, and pt cruiser and now mustang are all going to die.

ifcar

I assume that it would be basically a restyle with improved mechanicals and interior. Cars like the PT Cruiser and New Beetle would probably have a restyle on a different platform with a new engine, but the Mustang's doesn't need a replacement already.

Raghavan

I assume that it would be basically a restyle with improved mechanicals and interior. Cars like the PT Cruiser and New Beetle would probably have a restyle on a different platform with a new engine, but the Mustang's doesn't need a replacement already.
but if they go back to a non-retro car, it'll look sort of bland and not as novel as a retro car.

BMWDave

but if they go back to a non-retro car, it'll look sort of bland and not as novel as a retro car.
Which is why they will keep the styling.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

Which is why they will keep the styling.
someday they'll have to return to modern styling though.

BMWDave

As long as they keep the retro styling progressively modern they will be ok.

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

QuoteAs long as they keep the retro styling progressively modern they will be ok.
that's the problem. once you retroly style something, you can't really go back.

ifcar

QuoteAs long as they keep the retro styling progressively modern they will be ok.
Sure they can, through gradual updates. The only retro-only aspects of the current car are the interior, nose, and taillights, even the roofline could be incorporated into a modern design.  

Raghavan

Sure they can, through gradual updates. The only retro-only aspects of the current car are the interior, nose, and taillights, even the roofline could be incorporated into a modern design.
won't it looks sort ofbland?

BMWDave

There is no reason why it would have to look bland.  

2007 Honda S2000

Raghavan

i mean compared to the retro styling, a more modern design would make it look different. the two designs are from different tiime periods, so you can't just switch between modern and retro and back all the time.

BMWDave

i mean compared to the retro styling, a more modern design would make it look different. the two designs are from different tiime periods, so you can't just switch between modern and retro and back all the time.
They wouldnt.  You would keep updating a retro design, and making it look nicer all the time.  Think Porsche 911.

2007 Honda S2000