New Tundra - 381HP

Started by crv16, October 26, 2006, 12:30:18 PM

TBR

Quote from: GoCougs on October 29, 2006, 01:44:00 PM
I saw the new Tundra at the Seattle auto show yesterday. It was a 4wd TRD model with a long bed extended cab. It had a larger wheel and tire package than in the pictures I've seen. It seemed to balance things out a bit better.

To call 381hp  "excessive" is sour grapes IMO. I don't see how it matters one iota. Either way, in this segment, it's pretty good considering that to exceed it you have a 50% base price premium (Sierra Denali); and suffer without a 2sp t-case and diminished towing capacity to boot.

Anything above 350 hp is excessive in a half ton (or, really, pretty much any truck). If you're looking to actually use a truck as a truck and do a lot of heavy duty towing a 3/4 ton or 1 ton with a turbo-diesel is the only way to go. 

The Pirate

Quote from: TBR on October 30, 2006, 10:47:37 AM
Anything above 350 hp is excessive in a half ton (or, really, pretty much any truck). If you're looking to actually use a truck as a truck and do a lot of heavy duty towing a 3/4 ton or 1 ton with a turbo-diesel is the only way to go. 

I agree, but in the U.S. horsepower sells.  And how many tradesman/contractors do you think will buy the Toyota?  I'm sure a few will, but most will stick with what they've been driving for years. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Well, now they have NASCAR cred, if that means anything to truck buyers.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Quote from: The Pirate on October 30, 2006, 11:11:17 AM

And how many tradesman/contractors do you think will buy the Toyota?? I'm sure a few will, but most will stick with what they've been driving for years.?

If they do buy it it will be years from now on the used market. Most contractors and tradesmen drive old beater POSes.

thewizard16

Quote from: The Pirate on October 30, 2006, 11:11:17 AM

I agree, but in the U.S. horsepower sells. And how many tradesman/contractors do you think will buy the Toyota? I'm sure a few will, but most will stick with what they've been driving for years.
Tundras are actually very popular here among contractors and contracting companies (they use the stripped down models for transport and such, but the actual contractors will have the double cab types). Many contractors around this area are more "developers" than anything else and don't do much real work, but there are a lot of Tundras at work sites if you drive around the area.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

GoCougs

Quote from: TBR on October 30, 2006, 10:47:37 AM
Anything above 350 hp is excessive in a half ton (or, really, pretty much any truck). If you're looking to actually use a truck as a truck and do a lot of heavy duty towing a 3/4 ton or 1 ton with a turbo-diesel is the only way to go.?

That's like stating 270 horsepower is too much for a family sedan. Who needs a Camry or Altima that runs the 1/4 mile in the mid 14s? No one. I'll take that mid 14s Camry if it doesn't cost me any more, is as (or more) reliable and/or efficient as the competition, or otherwise isn't a detriment. I guess that's my point: it's a sign of competition.

TBR

It does cost more and is less efficent than say a 5-spd Accord EX (what I would likely get if I was shopping that segment) and almost certainly isn't as fun to drive. And, I don't see this thing being as efficent as the GMT900s and the '08 F-150 is getting a 6-spd AT that might give it a leg up too.

I guess I am just weird because to me anything with a 0-60 time under 8 seconds is plenty fast. My Prelude isn't just a whole lot faster than that (and gets worse fuel economy than a V6 Camry most likely....) yet I rarely use the power that I do have.

SVT_Power

Quote from: TBR on October 30, 2006, 09:57:59 PM
It does cost more and is less efficent than say a 5-spd Accord EX (what I would likely get if I was shopping that segment) and almost certainly isn't as fun to drive. And, I don't see this thing being as efficent as the GMT900s and the '08 F-150 is getting a 6-spd AT that might give it a leg up too.

I guess I am just weird because to me anything with a 0-60 time under 8 seconds is plenty fast. My Prelude isn't just a whole lot faster than that (and gets worse fuel economy than a V6 Camry most likely....) yet I rarely use the power that I do have.

I think our explorer with 210 hp (0-60 around 9 seconds) is more than enough for normal day to day driving. Of course I want alot more (occasionally I just floor it and I'm going come onnnn let's goooo) but its not deficient.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ifcar

Actually, the V6 Camry does get better gas mileage than the manual V6 Accord.

It's much to early to make predictions about the Tundra's gas mileage at this point, as weight will be a bigger factor than horsepower.

TBR

Notice that I said 5-spd, not 6-spd ;). If I was to get an Accord it would definitely be a 4-cylinder.

GoCougs

You're not weird;  just in the minority opinion pool, and using a not-very-good analogy.

Your analogy would only fit if, let's say, you were comparing a Camry 4cyl 5sp MT with 40 fewer horsepower (hypothetical) that cost the same and had the same mileage rating as the Accord 4cy 5sp MT. Would you crow on about the higher-hp Accord? You wouldn't. You're simply getting more without any material down side.

TBR

No, my analogy does fit. I would rather have a 5.3l GMT900 that makes 300 hp (around that anyway, I can't remember exactly) and gets better gas mileage than the 5.7l Tundra that makes 381 hp (and I would put money on it getting worse gas mileage). Same thing as Accord I4 v. Camry V6, the Camry has more power but costs more and gets worse gas mileage.

USA_Idol

Quote from: TBR on October 31, 2006, 09:55:58 AM
Notice that I said 5-spd, not 6-spd ;). If I was to get an Accord it would definitely be a 4-cylinder.

I got 30.7 mpg on the last tank of regular-grade fuel.  2004 Accord LX 2.4 AT sedan.   I am quite happy with this car, as it routinely averages between 29-31 mpg.   :ohyeah: 

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 31, 2006, 09:55:58 AM

I assumed you were using "5-speed" as a synonym for "manual", but I suppose that's been phased out of the latest generation of young car nuts.

Yes, a 4-cylinder manual Accord gets better gas mileage than a V6 automatic Camry. Amazing!

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on October 31, 2006, 11:33:49 AM
No, my analogy does fit. I would rather have a 5.3l GMT900 that makes 300 hp (around that anyway, I can't remember exactly) and gets better gas mileage than the 5.7l Tundra that makes 381 hp (and I would put money on it getting worse gas mileage).

But you know absolutely nothing about the new Tundra except two engine specs. That's nothing to base gas mileage estimates on.

TBR

Quote from: ifcar on October 31, 2006, 02:13:37 PM
I assumed you were using "5-speed" as a synonym for "manual", but I suppose that's been phased out of the latest generation of young car nuts.

Yes, a 4-cylinder manual Accord gets better gas mileage than a V6 automatic Camry. Amazing!

I was, for the 5-spd manual in the I4 Accord, if I was talking about the V6 Accord I would've used 6-spd.

And, perhaps crossing brands confused things a little, I am just not capable of talking about Camrys as if I was buying one ;). Try this on for size, I would rather get an I4 Accord over a V6 Accord because it has more than sufficent power, better gas mileage, and a lower price tag. As long as the base engine has sufficent power (0-60 in under 8 seconds for cars and under 9 seconds for trucks by my standards) that is what I would get, the 4.7l Tundra most likely won't be able to do that (not in 4wd Doublecab configuration anyway) and the 5.7l will most likely get worse gas mileage (I don't of any special features like MDS to reduce fuel consumption) than the GMT900s. This is all pure speculation of course, but occassionally I am right (remember the Passat incident....)

GoCougs

Quote from: USA_Idol on October 31, 2006, 12:42:14 PM
I got 30.7 mpg on the last tank of regular-grade fuel.? 2004 Accord LX 2.4 AT sedan.? ?I am quite happy with this car, as it routinely averages between 29-31 mpg.? ?:ohyeah:?

I average 29.5 mpg in my 2005 Accord V6 AT sedan. The best I've ever recorded was just a smidge over 33 mpg. My average floats between 28 - 31 mpg.

Do'h!

Now what's this done to the discussion at hand?

Eye of the Tiger

stoopid Hondas, my Focus has never done better than 34mpg and i usually get 28-29
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

My Duster gets 22mpg. What a POS. At least it got me 2nd place in the rallyx last weekend.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TBR

Since we've evidently completely changed topics, I've gotten 26.5, 29.8, and 27.6 in my car, not bad considering it is rated 22/26 and I absolutely flogged the crap out of it on that first tank.

gasoline

-----------------------------------

Catman

Lebowski

Quote from: Catman on October 29, 2006, 01:52:34 PM
I understand the drivers seat contains a methane collector.? Once collected, it is transferred to the evaporator system and enhances the fuel efficiency.? I'm thinking I could get 40 + mpg with this unit. :rockon:

I could get 50+  :praise:

Raza

I personally have gotten 70+mpg in the new Tundra.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Car Zeus

I've gotten 7 MPG with my old Chevy truck.

"Like a slow rock"

:praise:

GoCougs

I read last night that the 5.7L is rumored to have VVT-i and a 11:1 compression ratio. That will without a doubt fatten up the the power curve quite a bit.

93JC

I read Toyota owners' farts smell like daylilies. :lol:

SVT666

In the city I average 13 mpg in my Ram and 18 on the highway.  I have hit 22 mpg on the highway though...a good tailwind and doing only 90 km/h.  But if I get one of those gas line restrictors I could get 675 hp and 82 mpg...or so they claim.

USA_Idol

Quote from: 93JC on November 02, 2006, 01:10:01 PM
I read Toyota owners' farts smell like daylilies. :lol:

I think I read that it was roses...not daylillies.   :lol: