Mercedes Benz S65 AMG

Started by Raghavan, May 31, 2005, 10:51:59 PM

BMWDave

QuoteAccording to a formula I used...the Evo would have to have approximately 540 HP in order to feasibly acheive 195 MPH.
what formula?
A formula someone over at C/D gave me to figure out how much HP is needed to achieve a certain speed...

(Speed You Want to Achieve / Speed the Car can Already Achieve)^3*HP the car already has.

(^3 = to the third power)

So say I want my 405 HP Evo to go 195...

(195 / 175 ) ^3 * 405...you get approx. 540.
I see you got it all worked out there :praise:  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

QuoteAccording to a formula I used...the Evo would have to have approximately 540 HP in order to feasibly acheive 195 MPH.
what formula?
A formula someone over at C/D gave me to figure out how much HP is needed to achieve a certain speed...

(Speed You Want to Achieve / Speed the Car can Already Achieve)^3*HP the car already has.

I see you got it all worked out there :praise:
:P  :P  :praise:  

Raghavan

what formula?

cool....

giant_mtb

what formula?

cool....
Yeah..it's a little complicated but just plug in the numbers and I'm guessing it should be accurate...I saved it (with a bunch of other cool car things) in a Word document so I can access it whenever I need it...it comes in handy for things like this.  :praise:  

Raza

That formula can't always work.  It doesn't take into account mass, frontal area, cD, downforce, or anything like that.  Nor does it factor in the higher drivetrain loss of AWD drive cars such as the Mitsu Evo.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

QuoteThat formula can't always work.  It doesn't take into account mass, frontal area, cD, downforce, or anything like that.  Nor does it factor in the higher drivetrain loss of AWD drive cars such as the Mitsu Evo.
Yes, I know...but it is somewhat accurate...if only there was a formula similar to it that included coefficient drag...that would make it even more accurate.

But...I think the formula doesn't need that because the guy that gave it to me said that for all cars the speed goes up with the cube of the HP or something like that...I'll see if I can ask him about it...

TBR

QuoteThat formula can't always work.  It doesn't take into account mass, frontal area, cD, downforce, or anything like that.  Nor does it factor in the higher drivetrain loss of AWD drive cars such as the Mitsu Evo.
Yes, I know...but it is somewhat accurate...if only there was a formula similar to it that included coefficient drag...that would make it even more accurate.

But...I think the formula doesn't need that because the guy that gave it to me said that for all cars the speed goes up with the cube of the HP or something like that...I'll see if I can ask him about it...
He is wrong, there is a lot more too determining top speed than power.  

giant_mtb

QuoteThat formula can't always work.  It doesn't take into account mass, frontal area, cD, downforce, or anything like that.  Nor does it factor in the higher drivetrain loss of AWD drive cars such as the Mitsu Evo.

Well...someone needs to come up with a (gigantic) formula that factors in everything.

Raza

Well...someone needs to come up with a (gigantic) formula that factors in everything.
I'll call some physicists that will take into account the weight, mass, cD, and power loss.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

I'll call some physicists that will take into account the weight, mass, cD, and power loss.
That would be a very big formula...if you have to factor in all those things and more...  :o    :rockon:  

TBR

I am sure something like that has been created by someone, but it would be hell trying to actually use it.  

Raza

That would be a very big formula...if you have to factor in all those things and more...  :o    :rockon:
I hate to use video games, but I will...

my 2600 pound Skyline has over 700HP but struggles to hit 200 whereas my heavier M5 has less than 600HP and runs easily past 200 on the straight at the Ring.  Why is that?  Drivetrain loss.  At high speeds, AWD cars make less power to the wheels.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

my 2600 pound Skyline has over 700HP but struggles to hit 200 whereas my heavier M5 has less than 600HP and runs easily past 200 on the straight at the Ring.  Why is that?  Drivetrain loss.  At high speeds, AWD cars make less power to the wheels.
Yeah...what's your point? lol  Aerodynamics, tire friction, gearing restriction, and engine speed also determine top speed...it's pretty much neverending.

Raza

Yeah...what's your point? lol  Aerodynamics, tire friction, gearing restriction, and engine speed also determine top speed...it's pretty much neverending.
The gearing had nothing to do with it in that situation.  My point was that the Skyline's AWD, much like the Evolution's would keep it from achieving the same top speed as a comparable 2WD car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

The gearing had nothing to do with it in that situation.  My point was that the Skyline's AWD, much like the Evolution's would keep it from achieving the same top speed as a comparable 2WD car.
Ohhh ok.  Yeah...complicated stuff...would be one heck of a complicated formula...I bet there's one out there somewhere...GOOGLE!  :praise:  

TBR

Actually, it does. If the gearing had been lower you might have been able to get a little more top speed out of it.