Consider getting a new...err...used new car

Started by Submariner, October 30, 2006, 07:36:03 PM

Submariner

Last weekend I was out in Boston for school, work, and among other things, I little bit of fun.  On my way back home, I stopped by Hatch and Sons.  They deal in used top quality Mercedes, Porsche, and Ferrari's, and among other things are one of the best restorers of those aforementioned cars in the north east.  When I was browsing, I noticed this, a 1992 REENtech 500E.  I almost passed out.  It was stunning, badass, and ridiculously cool in its early 90's Benz sort of way.  Anyhoo...I want it, bad.  If I were to buy it, I would retrofit post face lift head and tail lights, grill, as well as the radio. 

So...what do you think? 

http://www.hatchandsons.com/pages/sales/mercedes_benz/RennTech

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raghavan

Is that a manual or an auto dressed up as a manual?

Danish

On the website they say it is a manual

They also claim 465 HP and 500 Ft Lbs of torque!!! :devil:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Colonel Cadillac

That's a lot of power for a crappy manual; as in MB makes crappy manuals, and with that much power would make it even worse.

Submariner

Quote from: Danish on October 30, 2006, 08:09:48 PM
On the website they say it is a manual

They also claim 465 HP and 500 Ft Lbs of torque!!! :devil:

Ya, because the stock 326 was just too weak.  :devil: :devil:

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ro51092

GO FOR IT!!!

Although, I would be weary of the tranny too.

Submariner

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on October 30, 2006, 08:12:17 PM
That's a lot of power for a crappy manual; as in MB makes crappy manuals, and with that much power would make it even worse.

I don't believe it's an MB manual.  Mercedes never equipped U.S. Bound 124's with sticks, And I dont believe that the 5.0 V8 was ever fitted with one either (except maybe for a few AMG models?) I believe the Stick is from an outside party.

I'm going to drive it this Friday!

Submariner

Quote from: Raza on October 30, 2006, 08:13:26 PM
How much is it?  I want it.

It's Mine.  :praise:

I'm not sure on price, but I'm looking to put a deposit on it Friday.

Of course, this brings up another dellema.  I need a 4x4 for the Winter.  I'm done paying for the BMW, and could get a dealer deal on the E, but I'm also looking at an older G-class.  I seriously doubt I could afford both.  The only thing I could do reasonably is sell the BMW (which I really don't want to do)  Or possibly buy an older Jeep, disco, or perhaps a late 80's 460.

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on October 30, 2006, 08:18:17 PM
It's Mine.  :praise:

I'm not sure on price, but I'm looking to put a deposit on it Friday.

Of course, this brings up another dellema.  I need a 4x4 for the Winter.  I'm done paying for the BMW, and could get a dealer deal on the E, but I'm also looking at an older G-class.  I seriously doubt I could afford both.  The only thing I could do reasonably is sell the BMW (which I really don't want to do)  Or possibly buy an older Jeep, disco, or perhaps a late 80's 460.

Find out the price. 

Or I'll snatch it out from right under you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza on October 30, 2006, 08:20:23 PM
Find out the price. 

Or I'll snatch it out from right under you.

I'll call tomorrow.  But Don't worry.  We bought two cars from them, I'll get that deposit over you.  ;) :P

Submariner

I'm also going to find out what those two "bars" under the headlights are.  They are where the headlamps wipers would be (obviously removed) but make the whole front end look, err, weird.

Colonel Cadillac

This has been somewhat a dream car for you, am I right? If so, go for it.

Raghavan

SVT_Power

Wow good find. I hope Raza beats you to it :P :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Danish

Quote from: Submariner on October 30, 2006, 08:12:54 PM
Ya, because the stock 326 was just too weak.  :devil: :devil:

You know, I didn't really believe you so I looked it up and it was... 326! That is a lot of hp... :rockon: :devil: :praise:

Then I looked up the 1998 5.0 L engine in the S-class (S500) and it only makes 315 hp :huh:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

heelntoe

Quote from: Danish on October 31, 2006, 12:02:00 AM
You know, I didn't really believe you so I looked it up and it was... 326! That is a lot of hp... :rockon: :devil: :praise:

Then I looked up the 1998 5.0 L engine in the S-class (S500) and it only makes 315 hp :huh:
porsche baby :rockon:
one of my favourites. awesome sleeper.
i prefer the facelifted e500 look.
@heelntoe

cawimmer430

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Couldn't resist. :lol:

I was going to say that this cannot be a 500E since they were 4-speed A/T only. Apparently somebody did a transmission swap. Do the Renntech files say who did this?

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

The 500E / E500 (W124) used the same V8 engine found in my dad's 1989 500SL rated at 326-horsepower. The next generation SL and S-Classes received a brand new V8 engine that was detuned for emission and fuel economy purposes. Mercedes had gotten a lot of heat because of the W140 S-Class and its thirsty engines. That was one of the reasons they detuned the next generation V8. They were quicker though thanks to lighter construction, a 5-speed A/T as opposed to the W140 and R129 SL's 4-speed A/T (the facelifted R129 SL's got 5-speed A/T's though) and better on gas.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

nickdrinkwater

Nice car, but I'm not too keen on the blue interior trim - maybe you could change that as well  :lol:

Does anyone know much about the tuning company?  Is the car likely to be reliable?

Submariner

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on October 31, 2006, 04:16:20 AM
Nice car, but I'm not too keen on the blue interior trim - maybe you could change that as well  :lol:

Does anyone know much about the tuning company?  Is the car likely to be reliable?

REENtech is one of the biggest Mercedes tuning companies.  Hatch and Sons (who know what they're talking about) say it's fine so long as I don't redline it all the time.

I'm going to call today, and I'm going to take a drive hopefully on Friday.

Submariner

Mercedes Did the Same thing with their 6.0 V12.  The one in Pre-facelift models made 402, while after that they made 389. 

Raza

Oh, RENNtech...I remember a few years back Car and Driver did a tuner company challenge, and the RENNtech CLK was the only one that couldn't finish the test because it had a catastrophic breakdown.

Hehe....

I love it man, I hope you get it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

pommes-t

Depends on the price. If it's not too expensive and if you can afford it, go for it!

That's one awesome car!  :ohyeah:

TheIntrepid

So are you buying this as a second car? Because this thing is cool and all, but your 7-er looks way better.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

TBR

Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raza

Quote from: TBR on October 31, 2006, 12:59:29 PM
Buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's better.

But seriously.  I agree with Tim's overenthusiastic statement.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

Quote from: Raza on October 31, 2006, 03:39:32 PM
That's better.

But seriously.  I agree with Tim's overenthusiastic statement.

I know...and I want too, but I just love me BMW too much.  I don't think I could sell it, ever.  Maybe If it were the choice between a Zonda F and the 7, well, I'd go for the Zonda...but other than that, I don't know.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Submariner on October 31, 2006, 03:49:33 PM
I know...and I want too, but I just love me BMW too much.  I don't think I could sell it, ever.  Maybe If it were the choice between a Kio Rio and the 7, well, I'd go for the Kia...but other than that, I don't know.

:confused: :mask:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Car Zeus

not bad. How much is it going to be Submissive?

I guess I need to tune my next car to keep up with the Joneses
:devil: