Need some Dodge Dakota repair help!

Started by 93JC, November 04, 2006, 09:46:33 PM

93JC

My dad's '90 Dakota has, over the last three weeks, been unable to keep the battery charged.

He replaced the alternator three weeks ago, but the problem persists. We're convinced the voltage regulator is failing, so slowly the battery isn't fed enough charge and simply dies.

Problem is: where the hell is the voltage regulator!?!

I've already asked a few people, and they are in two camps:

1) The voltage regulator is part of the powertrain control module, and to fix it we'd have to replace the whole damned computer.

2) The voltage regulator is an external unit, a measly $15 part, mounted on the firewall.

Tonight I was helping him to try and fix it. He'd bought an external voltage regulator from Partsource, so you would think this external voltage regulator must exist and must be somewhere. Every Partsource monkey has sweared up and down that it's mounted on the firewall. But I was just looking at it, and I can't find it. As far as I can tell it doesn't exist.

Can any of the more experienced members give some assistance? My dad and I would definitely appreciate it. John (JWC), I'm looking your way, since you were a service manager at a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth dealer... :lol:

S204STi

According to Alldata, the voltage regulator is integral with the PCM.

Have you considered the battery yet?

I would also loosen and retighten all of your ground straps and make sure the battery terminals are clean and no wires are frayed.

JWC

Well, it has been 13 years since I worked with Dodge, but I think R-inge is correct.  Chrysler had some odd charging system set ups and integrated PCM voltage regulator was what I recall.  Seems like some cars or trucks had a battery temp sensor that affected charging also.

Like R-inge said, check the battery and make sure it is good.  Always start with the basics.  Fuses, battery, wiring (chafed wiring, loose connections etc.) before starting to replace parts.

AutobahnSHO

I'm not trying to be funny, but check the battery??
If the alternator was toast my experience says the battery sometimes is, too.

Isn't the VR ON the alternator sometimes?
Will

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 05, 2006, 05:42:21 PM

Isn't the VR ON the alternator sometimes?

Most new vehicles that weren't engineered by shortbus riders, yes, the VR is generally integrated in the Alternator.

That said, I think newer Nissans regulate voltage through what they call the IPDM E/R, which is like a complicated set of relays, just below a ECU in sophistication. So someday somebody like 93JC will be in this same situation with a Frontier! :ohyeah: :banghead:

[EDIT: This shortbus rider can't form a proper sentence..."Weren't engineered by shortbus rider"?  Ho-ly jeeze...]

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on November 05, 2006, 05:49:22 PM
Most new vehicles that weren't engineered by shortbus rider, yes, the VR is generally integrated in the Alternator.
So that would be most Dodges??      :mask:
Will

JWC

Quote from: R-inge on November 05, 2006, 05:49:22 PM
Most new vehicles that weren't engineered by shortbus riders, yes, the VR is generally integrated in the Alternator.

That said, I think newer Nissans regulate voltage through what they call the IPDM E/R, which is like a complicated set of relays, just below a ECU in sophistication. So someday somebody like 93JC will be in this same situation with a Frontier! :ohyeah: :banghead:

[EDIT: This shortbus rider can't form a proper sentence..."Weren't engineered by shortbus rider"?  Ho-ly jeeze...]

That "weren't" is fine here in North Carolina. :lol:

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on November 07, 2006, 04:24:56 AM

That "weren't" is fine here in North Carolina. :lol:

lol...it isn't much better up here in NE either...just different.

Ron From Regina

On my 77 dodge truck, it was mounted on the firewall, and took me all of a minute to change. I am sure much has changed in 13 years though.

93JC

Addendum: I ended up paying $684 for a new PCM on Wednesday and it runs fine now.

Raza

The voltage regulator went on the S500, and as I recall, it was a pretty penny as well.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on December 16, 2006, 01:39:25 PM
Addendum: I ended up paying $684 for a new PCM on Wednesday and it runs fine now.
OUCH.
Glad the problem is fixed though.
Will