2006 Lotus Exige

Started by BMWDave, June 01, 2005, 09:49:11 PM

SJ_GTI

QuoteI was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.? <_<

A z3 is bigger than an Elise of course, but I don't think I would feel any different in an elise.

:rockon:
Ok, but most drivers will get into an accident atleast once or twice in their lives, even if it's not their fault.  Odds are you'll lose in an Elise.
Not if I can avoid them through nimble movements.  

SUVs... rokon.gif  rokon.gif
Except that you cant always avoid them.
No matter what you drive...

That's my point.
If the time comes when you are in an accident, god forbid, I think most people would rather be in pretty much any other car than an Elise.
Okay man, your call.  But sooner or later, you'll have to come out of your bubble.
Look, what I'm saying is that once you are in an accident (whether you can avoid it or not is a different argument) you are safer in pretty much any car than the Lotus.
I think the difference is state of mind. I know my A4 is a much safer car to be in than my Z3...but frankly I wouldn't care. I am not going to live my life in a bubble to use the phrase from Raza.

BMWDave

QuoteI was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.? <_<

A z3 is bigger than an Elise of course, but I don't think I would feel any different in an elise.

Ok, but most drivers will get into an accident atleast once or twice in their lives, even if it's not their fault.  Odds are you'll lose in an Elise.

That's my point.
If the time comes when you are in an accident, god forbid, I think most people would rather be in pretty much any other car than an Elise.
Okay man, your call.  But sooner or later, you'll have to come out of your bubble.
Look, what I'm saying is that once you are in an accident (whether you can avoid it or not is a different argument) you are safer in pretty much any car than the Lotus.
I think the difference is state of mind. I know my A4 is a much safer car to be in than my Z3...but frankly I wouldn't care. I am not going to live my life in a bubble to use the phrase from Raza.
Once again, I am not saying I wouldnt drive an Elise, but there is no doubt that its safer to be in say, an Escalade, than an Elise, if you get hit by a car.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

TBR

QuoteI was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.  <_<

That's my point.
Once again, I am not saying I wouldnt drive an Elise, but there is no doubt that its safer to be in say, an Escalade, than an Elise, if you get hit by a car.
No one is arguing with that, they are arguing that they don't think it is a smart idea to give-up fun for safety (and, no vehicle is safer or more destructive than a large suv, so in theory you could apply your argument to any vehicle that isn't a Ford Excursion).  

BMWDave

That's my point.
No one is arguing with that, they are arguing that they don't think it is a smart idea to give-up fun for safety (and, no vehicle is safer or more destructive than a large suv, so in theory you could apply your argument to any vehicle that isn't a Ford Excursion).
I dont think were arguing here TBR...I certainly dont advocate driving an Excursion all the time at all, and I would always want fun over safety.  But I'm just stating a fact....its safer to be in a Excursion in a crash than in a Elise.

2007 Honda S2000

TBR

QuoteI was never afraid driving my Z3 around big rigs and SUV's, and there are plenty of those in SJ.  <_<

That's my point.
I dont think were arguing here TBR...I certainly dont advocate driving an Excursion all the time at all, and I would always want fun over safety.  But I'm just stating a fact....its safer to be in a Excursion in a crash than in a Elise.
I understand that, no one was disagreeing with you.  

SJ_GTI

QuoteSure, on a private couse a Lotus would be a blast, but would you really want to drive one on public road and risk getting run over by some guy in his lifted Escalade?
Or any stock SUV...
or any car for that matter.
Dave I am not sure what your point is. This is what i believe Raza is responding to, and its definitely what I responded to. Seems to me the implication is that you wouldn't drive an Elise on the road. I am saying I would, even givens its safety limitations. That doesn't imply I think its safer than "Car X" just that the lack of safety isn't going to stop me from driving it.

BMWDave

QuoteSure, on a private couse a Lotus would be a blast, but would you really want to drive one on public road and risk getting run over by some guy in his lifted Escalade?
Or any stock SUV...
or any car for that matter.
Dave I am not sure what your point is. This is what i believe Raza is responding to, and its definitely what I responded to. Seems to me the implication is that you wouldn't drive an Elise on the road. I am saying I would, even givens its safety limitations. That doesn't imply I think its safer than "Car X" just that the lack of safety isn't going to stop me from driving it.
The Conversation went:

"Sure, on a private couse a Lotus would be a blast, but would you really want to drive one on public road and risk getting run over by some guy in his lifted Escalade?"

"Or any stock SUV... "

--> This was my statement "or any car for that matter."

I was just stating that you risk getting run over by a car in any car...I never stated that I wouldnt drive an Elise.

2007 Honda S2000

Raza

No argument here...though I believe Tim hit the nail on the head.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

Everyone thinks Lotus Elise's are fun and everyone agrees that in a crash they are dangerous.  However, group A says they would not feel comfortable on a public road driving one due to safety concerns while group B understands but is not worried about these safety issues.

Run Away

280Z Turbo

Escalades...  :rolleyes:

SUVs... :rolleyes:

Fear of the above...  :rolleyes:
You wouldn't be worried driving amist a population of ignoramisses behind the wheels of 6k ilb vehicles?
Not any more than I am now.
I don't even think about it either. There are lots of SUVs here in Michigan (it seems aparently you NEED 4x4 for the snow :rolleyes: ) but I still drive the Z.

It conforms to all 1976 Federal safety standards, but the steel is thin and the side impact beam is a joke.

Although, I know a guy who had a 280Z with fiberglass fenders, bumper, and hood walk away from an accident when an old lady hit him in the left turn lane. He just had some glass in his hand. So, yes, I may get in an accident, but will I be seriously hurt, probably not.

The best safety feature is a safe driver like me.

Run Away

The only vehicle I am intimidated by are Semis, full size trucks (like internationals and such) and busses.

Semis are just freaky to be driving beside, I'll speed up well over the limit to get past one if I'm beside one. They're especially bad in corners. Busses are not as bad in this respect, but they like to come flying up behind you when at a light and I always wonder if they're actually going to stop.

Raza

QuoteIt needs a turbo.
Why?  It already runs with a C5 Vette in a straight line, and handles better than one too.  A turbo seems pointless.  Maybe a supercharger, though, to give it more power through the middle of the rev range.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.