Thinking about new paint for the Z, taking color suggestions

Started by 280Z Turbo, November 11, 2006, 02:41:33 PM

280Z Turbo

I think my uncle painted the hood of his Challenger with metallic orange BC/CC. He said he liked it because "you don't have to be perfect for it to look good".

FlatBlackCaddy

BC/CC is more user friendly for the painter, and does produce the nicer finish when it comes to metallic/pearl paints.

TBR

Since we are talking about paint, a deer recently removed my passenger side mirror cover and I figure I most likely won't be able to find a white one. So how much are we talking to get this very small item painted? What kind of prep work would be required? (assuming a used cover) And, could they just shoot the regular white Honda paint on or is there some sort of color matching required due to fading from the sun?

280Z Turbo

For something that small, I would get one from the junkyard and paint it with gloss white rustoleum to match. :)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 12, 2006, 04:51:18 PM
For something that small, I would get one from the junkyard and paint it with gloss white rustoleum to match. :)
LOL
My wife is into Rustoleum-ing furniture.  We have a few cheap pieces that she's done..
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 12, 2006, 03:54:21 PM
Are you still overseas?

Anyway i don't know what the prices are like there but you can probobly paint a minivan(a full size panel van would be twice as much) with a gallon to a gallon and a half of paint.

Using a lower line of paint and doing a complete it would probobly cost you 300-400 for your standard whites greys blacks. It would probobly take a good weekend for you to do it(i'd do as much sanding and trim removal as possible at your place).
I'm in Maryland since Jan2005.
Supposedly I have some "pearl" white.  Do you do anything with (really minor) dents?
Do you sand just to get a smooth paint surface?  For the dent in the back, can you just bondo over the paint, then sand/paint?
Will

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 12, 2006, 05:04:09 PM
I'm in Maryland since Jan2005.
Supposedly I have some "pearl" white.? Do you do anything with (really minor) dents?
Do you sand just to get a smooth paint surface?? For the dent in the back, can you just bondo over the paint, then sand/paint?

To have a OEM type finish after repairing a dent you need to have all sand marks filled.

You would sand the dent area down, then fill it with bondo. Then sand the area flat then apply a primer SURFACER, the surfacer will fill in the sand scratches and allow you to block it smooth. Once your body work area is smooth you want to use a primer SEALER, this basically seals off the work you've done below this primer and keeps the paint from "biting" into the lower coats. Primer Sealers are non sandable and should be hardened(i.e. a 2K product). After sealer you go on and topcoat with whatever paint product you are using(single stage, urethane or enamel, etc).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on November 12, 2006, 06:46:44 PM
To have a OEM type finish after repairing a dent you need to have all sand marks filled.

You would sand the dent area down, then fill it with bondo. Then sand the area flat then apply a primer SURFACER, the surfacer will fill in the sand scratches and allow you to block it smooth. Once your body work area is smooth you want to use a primer SEALER, this basically seals off the work you've done below this primer and keeps the paint from "biting" into the lower coats. Primer Sealers are non sandable and should be hardened(i.e. a 2K product). After sealer you go on and topcoat with whatever paint product you are using(single stage, urethane or enamel, etc).
Sounds like too much work.  :confused: 
Maybe someday, but I doubt I'll ever sell this thing, I'll probably run it into the ground.  And the imperfections don't show THAT much.
Will

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on November 12, 2006, 11:04:06 PM
You need one of these Autobahn:

:tounge:

:devil:
LOL
When my parents got married they had an old Dodge.  My grandpa gave them a bucket of black and a paintbrush.   :rockon:
Will

Catman

I think the silver/gray is the way to go here.  It'll look good and if you go a little on the lighter side it won't need to be a perfect paint job to look good.

JWC

My favorite:  Maui blue, 1988 Pontiac T/A color.  I miss that car.

Raghavan

Something of the British Racing Green type thing would look pretty cool.

omicron

Having seen 240Zs and 260Zs in various shades all throughout the day, I give my vote to silver.

93JC

Quote from: JWC on November 14, 2006, 08:38:51 PM
My favorite:? Maui blue, 1988 Pontiac T/A color.? I miss that car.

I used to visit my grandparents quite often years ago. The neighbour across the street from them had an '89 5.7L T/A painted two-tone: Maui blue with silver skirts. I lusted over it... and the blonde that owned it...

280Z Turbo

I think that blue is too light. I still like my dad's Corvette's Dusk Blue: