How fast do you go?

Started by TheIntrepid, November 12, 2006, 09:56:39 AM

JYODER240

Quote from: rohan on December 11, 2006, 11:21:10 AM
On my way home from training last night at about 12:30am I was on I-94 with light traffic and I let her rip.? I was at about 135 when I heard a "BOL for a red coupe taveling well in excess of 100mph" with my exact location over my portable.? :pullover: :pullover: So I let off and took the next exit.? ?:rage:? ?Oh well I know it goes about 135 anyway.

Nice. A police scanner sounds like a good investment.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

rohan

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 11, 2006, 11:23:11 AM
Nice. A police scanner sounds like a good investment.
You can have them in cars in Michigan now without permits- brilliant decision by the Michigan State Police. :banghead:  Nothing like giving bad guys complete LEGAL knowledge of how long they have before you get there.  But mine wasn't a scanner it was the real thing from work- supervisors have take homes now and we're supposed to be equipped 24/7 due to GO's.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

JYODER240

Quote from: rohan on December 11, 2006, 11:27:30 AM
You can have them in cars in Michigan now without permits- brilliant decision by the Michigan State Police. :banghead:? Nothing like giving bad guys complete LEGAL knowledge of how long they have before you get there.? But mine wasn't a scanner it was the real thing from work- supervisors have take homes now and we're supposed to be equipped 24/7 due to GO's.

I think if the bad guys wanted them they'd have them regardless of a permit.

rohan

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 11, 2006, 11:36:07 AM
I think if the bad guys wanted them they'd have them regardless of a permit.
Right but if we stopped you in possession of one before and we knew crime was afoot and didn't have enough evidence on the actual crime- we could hold you based on teh scanner and "use of an electronic listening devise designed to operate with established police frequencies during the commission of a crime."? Now we just have one less crime fighting tool to protect our citizenry.? And its hurting anti-crime efforts across the state.? Bank robbers ARE using them and so are the smash and grab guys hitting gas stations and stores all over the state.? And it's legal for them to do it.? Before using one during a crime was a felony and they didn't because it was jsut one more felony to add on.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

850CSi

I work for the student paper, and we have one, but it's not allowed to leave the building.

Rohan, would you even get in trouble for that? I mean,you ARE a cop.  :lol:

rohan

Quote from: 850CSi on December 11, 2006, 12:52:35 PM
I work for the student paper, and we have one, but it's not allowed to leave the building.

Rohan, would you even get in trouble for that? I mean,you ARE a cop.? :lol:
Speeding?  If someone wanted to be a dick and write me a ticket yeah I could still get one.  Most won't though but I could get in trouble with my department for violating the law so badly we have GO's that cover living to a higher statndard.  Plus it's just so stinkin embarrassing to get stopped especially if it's someone you might know stopping you and more so if it's a guy in your department who's under you in rank!  Big red face time!

~Chief Seattle

TurboDan

We used to have a police scanner when I was a kid.  I think my grandmother actually won it at a boardwalk "spin the wheel" game and gave it to us.  I think we had it on once before it went to its eternal rest in the attic.  Were they illegal in general or just to use in a car?

I think Radio Shack sells handhelds around here. 

TurboDan

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 11, 2006, 11:16:10 AM
Wasn't there a HUGE C&D debacle over this one about a year ago??
Seems airplane engine break-in is the opposite what the car manufacturers recommend but someone was comparing them and so the thread was just totally  :confused:

Boat engines too.  You don't keep it at redline (in a boat, known as "WOT," for "wide open throttle"), but you occasionally have to go up to about 6K RPMs to seat the rings properly.

850CSi

Quote from: TurboDan on December 11, 2006, 02:55:16 PM
We used to have a police scanner when I was a kid.? I think my grandmother actually won it at a boardwalk "spin the wheel" game and gave it to us.? I think we had it on once before it went to its eternal rest in the attic.? Were they illegal in general or just to use in a car?

I think it varies from state to state. I know that supposedly we're only allowed to have it because we have media credentials.

3.0L V6

Quote from: saxonyron on December 06, 2006, 10:00:26 PM
Break in period is such a bittersweet time!? All the excitement of getting a new performance car tempered by the reality of driving like a old fart.? :banghead:? :lol:

I was cruising on Rt 3 in Catman's town this afternoon at a sort of high speed when what to my wondering eyes did appear but a County Sheriff Expedition with markings and full light bar merging in front of me.? It seems to take forever to haul your car down from ooohhhhh, say 100 mph when you're closing in fast on an LEO!? I'm pretty sure Sheriffs don't ticket, but I'm also pretty sure I don't want to find out! Damn A4 throttle keeps getting sucked to the floor - I'm gonna have to get that checked out.

Oh great. Once 60 minutes gets a hold of this post, your car's resale value is done. Damn unintended acceleration  ;)

ro51092

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 11, 2006, 04:21:26 PM
Oh great. Once 60 minutes gets a hold of this post, your car's resale value is done. Damn unintended acceleration  ;)

:lol:

J86

What frequencies do the polive use?  Ive got about a bajilion VHFs

JYODER240

I used to have a police scanner in my house but nothing happens in my town so it got pretty boring to listen too.

saxonyron

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on December 11, 2006, 04:21:26 PM
Oh great. Once 60 minutes gets a hold of this post, your car's resale value is done. Damn unintended acceleration ;)

:lol:     :lol:

If I play my cards right, I can be the victim here and blame the true perpetrator - those damn Audi engineers. Hey, you've got to get a little creative when it comes to getting out of fat tickets!  :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

rohan

Quote from: J86 on December 11, 2006, 05:07:37 PM
What frequencies do the polive use?? Ive got about a bajilion VHFs
We;ve got 800 megahertz.  Don't know what frequencies they are but they are on a 22 band trunking system so if you wanna scan in my county your gonna have to spend something like $600-1000 bucks for a scanner.

~Chief Seattle

J86

Quote from: rohan on December 11, 2006, 11:30:06 PM
We;ve got 800 megahertz.? Don't know what frequencies they are but they are on a 22 band trunking system so if you wanna scan in my county your gonna have to spend something like $600-1000 bucks for a scanner.

I don't care that much! :lol:

At least I can listen to the coasties.

Tave

Sorta off topic, but I redlined the beast below for the first time in its life this christmas break. Previously, I'd only brought it to 5500, but I took it to 6250 on a stretch of empty, country road through first, second, and almost all the way in third. It was fun, but not something I'm going to do very often.

On topic, I usually drive 5-10 over in Wyoming, 10-20 over in PHX, and occasionaly just let it fly. To do that, the set of given circumstances must be very good.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

TheIntrepid

What speed does the Aveo max out at?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Tave

The speedo goes to 120, but it's a little fast. I'm around 80 maxed in third, so 120 doesn't seem too unreasonable, especially since 5th is an overdrive. It would take me a hell of a long time to get there (although it's supposed to be a slippery car). Right now I still have the tires that came with the car, and I have no confidence in them. They're called "Optimo H420." I've hit 100 a few times in 4th and 5th just to hit it, but I've always backed off quickly afterwards. Once I put real tires on I might consider a high-speed run. Hopefully the car won't have already shaken herself loose by then.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.