How fast do you go?

Started by TheIntrepid, November 12, 2006, 09:56:39 AM

Danish

Quote from: dazzleman on November 12, 2006, 10:09:19 AM
It depends upon conditions.

I stay at or near the speed limit in residential areas, usually 25-30 mph.

On main roads in commercial areas, I usually go 35-50 mph, depending upon the traffic and weather conditions.

On the highway, my typical speed, assuming conditions allow, is 80 mph.  I don't push much past 85 mph under any circumstances, though in extreme cases, I might hit 90 mph.  But under normal circumstances, I hover around 80 mph, and I take it down to 70 mph or so in heavier traffic.

Of course, if the weather is bad, all bets are off.  I try to never go faster than is safe for conditions, regardless of the speed limit.

In sum, I go the speed that seems safe, whether it's higher or lower than the speed limit (though of course, 90% of the time, it's higher than the speed limit).

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

JYODER240

It depends where I am. If i know i'm in an area where cops patrol i'll only do 4-5 over but on back roads ill do as much as 30-40 over.

The fastest ive ever gone was 150 but it was windy and i was outrunning my headlights so i slowed down.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYoDeR240 on November 12, 2006, 09:28:43 PM
It depends where I am. If i know i'm in an area where cops patrol i'll only do 4-5 over but on back roads ill do as much as 30-40 over.

The fastest ive ever gone was 150 but it was windy and i was outrunning my headlights so i slowed down.

Highway code says you always outrun your headlights.  Take a bus, hippy!

:ohyeah:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Wow, over 300,000 m/s is cruising right along.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza on November 12, 2006, 09:44:30 PM
Highway code says you always outrun your headlights.? Take a bus, hippy!

:ohyeah:

What?? :confused: :huh:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

I keep it pegged at all times.  They say 130 is unsafe in parking lots, but what do they know?  People react fast.  They can jump out of the way.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

Completely depends on mood/conditions/situation.  On the way out to school, I didn't exceed 62.  Of course, I was towing a boat on a sketchy trailer with a small car.  On my last trip back, I went nearly 4 hours without letting my speed drop below 80.  I maxed the vehicle out (at 98 mph limited) a couple of times trying to hang with my 'rabbit' at the time.

Raghavan

At the speed limit or no more than 5 over on regular roads, 5-10 over on highways.

Rupert

It all depends on the thing I'm driving... Troopers don't like to cruise higher than 80 mph or so, so that's what I usually do in them. The Volvo didn't like to accelerate, but I managed 70-75 in it daily for a month. The old Jeep didn't get to see the highway, but the Miata would cruise from 70-90 + when on the highway. I usually try to keep it within 15 or so of the limit...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

heelntoe

Quote from: Raghavan on November 12, 2006, 11:33:23 PM
At the speed limit or no more than 5 over on regular roads, 5-10 over on highways.
on a bicycle?
@heelntoe

Rupert

I think he's allowed to drive under the supervision of an adult; he's got a permit.

On my bike, though, I used to be able to do the 25 on flat ground no problem. Now I don't have a speedometer or really fast gears (heh, or any gears), but I can mostly keep up on flat ground, and pass traffic downtown (which is on a hill).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

heelntoe

Quote from: Psilos on November 13, 2006, 02:01:56 AM
I think he's allowed to drive under the supervision of an adult; he's got a permit.

On my bike, though, I used to be able to do the 25 on flat ground no problem. Now I don't have a speedometer or really fast gears (heh, or any gears), but I can mostly keep up on flat ground, and pass traffic downtown (which is on a hill).
i can keep 20-25 with some effort, but above that i'd be pushing myself.
@heelntoe

heelntoe

when my parents are riding with me, they constantly nag about me going too slow.
@heelntoe

omicron

The speed limit, because I'd be crucified in Victoria for going 3km/h over the limit, and hung out for public humiliation for 6km/h or so over in South Oz.

The fastest speed at which I've personally driven is about 130km/h, and only when overtaking. I've been a passenger in a 1984 Mazda 626 that almost shook itself to pieces one night at 150km\h on Lonsdale Highway, and also broke the old ton (100mph) in a '65 Mustang down the Southern Expressway. Now that was glorious - such a beautiful noise.

Raghavan

I have my license you know.
:rolleyes:

850CSi

Depends on the situation and the road. Typically 5-15 over.

I've gone fast enough to know what a lazy (or nonexistant) speed limiter is. Only did it once, though, on an empty stretch of I-65 at night. Run-Flats don't cooperate very well.

850CSi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 12, 2006, 03:18:42 PM
How do you guys drive so fast?

I go 76 in a 70 and I'm passing 70% of the people I come across in Michigan.

:confused:

Is that why you guys in surrounding states calls us "FIBs" [Fucking Illinois Bastards]? Supposedly we have a reputation for crazy driving; I never encountered the term until I came here.

But still, in the 70 zones in Indiana, speed of traffic is 80 or above, I'll cruise between 85 and 95, occasional stints into the triple digits.

Rupert

Chicago does have the reputation for crazy driving...

Rupert

Rupert

Quote from: heelntoe on November 13, 2006, 02:43:29 AM
i can keep 20-25 with some effort, but above that i'd be pushing myself.

I recall that before I was riding with racers, I did a 33 mph sprint on my road bike, but I'm pretty sure I could match that now on a bike that could go that fast. Sadly, I never got past 44 mph on a downhill, but I can blame the low gears on my 1970s road bike and its somewhat rickety condition at the time.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 850CSi on November 14, 2006, 12:27:05 AM
:confused:

Is that why you guys in surrounding states calls us "FIBs" [Fucking Illinois Bastards]? Supposedly we have a reputation for crazy driving; I never encountered the term until I came here.

But still, in the 70 zones in Indiana, speed of traffic is 80 or above, I'll cruise between 85 and 95, occasional stints into the triple digits.

Nobody has encounted bad drivers until they come across Massholes :devil:

TheIntrepid

Quote from: heelntoe on November 13, 2006, 02:47:09 AM
when my parents are riding with me, they constantly nag about me going too slow.

When my mom's in the car with me... she nags me for going too fast. My dad just plain doesn't care and doesn't backseat drive.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

heelntoe

Quote from: touareg208 on November 14, 2006, 06:44:46 AM
When my mom's in the car with me... she nags me for going too fast. My dad just plain doesn't care and doesn't backseat drive.
i go at around 50km/h on most roads, they complain that the road never seems to end(translation: speed up or let me drive)
@heelntoe

The Pirate

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on November 14, 2006, 06:21:59 AM

This is true.  I've driven in both Manhattan and Boston, I would rather drive in Manhattan any day.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

J86

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on November 14, 2006, 06:21:59 AM

that's the truth!

sandertheshark

Quote from: The Pirate on November 14, 2006, 09:39:08 AM

This is true. I've driven in both Manhattan and Boston, I would rather drive in Manhattan any day.
I'd rather do almost anything in Manhattan.  But I don't drive there either.

sandertheshark

My psersonal theory is that the speed limits should be adjusted by 20% for skilled drivers.? I follow the adjusted limit accordingly.

The fastest I've gone on the street in my Fairlane is somewhere north of 150mph (240kmh) and she's been clocked at 182.47mph (295kmh) on the track.   My Buell XB12S has reached its 140mph (225kmh) top speed on both the street and track.  My old Buell X1 also reached its top end on the street, IIRC that was about 135mph.  I also used to have a BMW 528xi but the fastest I've gone in that is only 110mph (176kmh)

BTW for anyone who has trouble converting units in their head just remember 1mph = 1.6kmh and 1kmh = 0.6mph, approximately.

Raza

Quote from: Psilos on November 14, 2006, 01:47:32 AM
I did not know that. :lol:

His license.....to ill!
*Rag starts break dancing*

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 14, 2006, 11:37:07 AM
My psersonal theory is that the speed limits should be adjusted by 20% for skilled drivers.  I follow the adjusted limit accordingly.

The fastest I've gone on the street in my Fairlane is somewhere north of 150mph (240kmh) and she's been clocked at 182.47mph (295kmh) on the track.   My Buell XB12S has reached its 140mph (225kmh) top speed on both the street and track.  My old Buell X1 also reached its top end on the street, IIRC that was about 135mph.  I also used to have a BMW 528xi but the fastest I've gone in that is only 110mph (176kmh)

BTW for anyone who has trouble converting units in their head just remember 1mph = 1.6kmh and 1kmh = 0.6mph, approximately.

I always remember that 100kph is 62.5mph.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

Quote from: Raza on November 12, 2006, 10:08:07 PM
They say 130 is unsafe in parking lots, but what do they know?
Nice. I would put that in my sig, but I'm not the type.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer