How fast do you go?

Started by TheIntrepid, November 12, 2006, 09:56:39 AM

rohan

Quote from: 850CSi on November 14, 2006, 12:27:05 AM
:confused:

Is that why you guys in surrounding states calls us "FIBs" [Fucking Illinois Bastards]? Supposedly we have a reputation for crazy driving; I never encountered the term until I came here.

But still, in the 70 zones in Indiana, speed of traffic is 80 or above, I'll cruise between 85 and 95, occasional stints into the triple digits.
Honestly?
It has more to do with the superior than thou attitude than it does with driving.  By the way Ill people are FIP's with a P -  for Pricks. 
People from Indiana get the FIB's mark.  Sorry but most people from Chicago are arrogant asses who can't drive for shit.  During the summer almost all the wrecks we take on I-94 where I work have something to do with someone from Ill.  Not a personal slam just the way it is.  I think it has something to do with that attitude and only driving slowly most of the time in the entire chicagoland area.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

SVT_Power

On a 60km/h road, I won't do more than 80km/h. So usually at 70km/h and higher if traffic allows. I personally don't really enjoy weaving through traffic and my parents hate it so I try not to. Highways, I've been 50km/h over the limit when driving to PEI during the summer. Highways were practically empty
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

saxonyron

Residential/urban areas, speed limit or less.? Country roads with little or no chance of pedestrians or LEO's, I'll cruise along at a good clip, which could be 20 or so over.? Those are the best driving moments - a chance to excercize the gears and have a little fun.? :ohyeah:

Hiways in the past 10 years have become completely different.? When all cars generally sucked, 80 mph was considered a felonious and wild speed.? I remember driving my sister's brand new "sporty" 1986 T-Bird.? With it's pathetic engine and covered wagon suspension, I pegged the speedo at 85 a few times, but the car literally felt ready to either disintergrate or fly off the road.? Now, when lowly Corolla's and Saturns can easily cruise at 80, I find myself cruising in fairly heavy traffic at 80 -? 85, just keeping up with the left lane crowd.? I have a few favorite runs where I can readily pop up to 100 for a few glorious seconds.

And I think New Yorkers (at least in NYC) beat out Massholes for sociopath behavior on the road.? I find most NYC drivers exhibit a killer instinct and a nihilistic attitude regarding other humans.? Boston drivers are just stupid.? :cheers:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

TheIntrepid

Quote from: M_power on November 14, 2006, 10:26:47 PM
On a 60km/h road, I won't do more than 80km/h. So usually at 70km/h and higher if traffic allows. I personally don't really enjoy weaving through traffic and my parents hate it so I try not to. Highways, I've been 50km/h over the limit when driving to PEI during the summer. Highways were practically empty

YOU drove to PEI? On a G1?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

850CSi

Quote from: mazda6er on November 14, 2006, 12:17:57 PM
Nice. I would put that in my sig, but I'm not the type.

I would do it, but I already have something cool in my sig.

:lol:

L. ed foote

Quote from: rohan on November 12, 2006, 12:22:42 PM
I don't know about the civilian intrepid but the police version witht eh 3.5H.O. would go about 136 so he's not that far off.  I know cuz I got stuck in one for about 3 months when it suddenly stopped running and the engine seaized.

Doors didn't work?

Member, Self Preservation Society

sandertheshark

I set a new personal record getting to work this morning.  I made the 72 mile trip from Hoboken to McGuire - which Google maps will tell you is suppose to take an hour and a half - in 53 minutes.  :devil:

rohan

Quote from: L. ed foote on November 16, 2006, 12:39:22 PM
Doors didn't work?

lol= solid!  :lol:
How abouit I got assigned to one for 3 months.  Better? :cheers:
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

I've done 130 in my SRT-4, 120 in my Civic, and nearly 120 on my GS750, but I generally try to keep it within 20mph of the limit to avoid that reckless driving charge should I get pulled over. And at night, I'm really just afraid of the deer, of which I've had numerous close calls.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

mazda6er

Anywhere from 0 - 25 mph over on a normal day, depending on weather, I guess. If I'm tired, I'll probably hover closer to the limit. Also depends on what's on the radio.  :lol:

Top speed ever was probably about 100 last week when I was following my friend on the expressway... :rolleyes: :lol: Turned out a lot like the Matrix, but without explosions.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

J86

Set a new personal record yesterday actually.  135 in an '06 A4 2.0

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 850CSi on November 14, 2006, 12:27:05 AM
:confused:

Is that why you guys in surrounding states calls us "FIBs" [Fucking Illinois Bastards]? Supposedly we have a reputation for crazy driving; I never encountered the term until I came here.

But still, in the 70 zones in Indiana, speed of traffic is 80 or above, I'll cruise between 85 and 95, occasional stints into the triple digits.

Maybe my perception is skewed, but if I went 90 I would never be able to stay in the right lane for more than 30 seconds at a time!

saxonyron

Quote from: J86 on November 19, 2006, 09:41:12 PM
Set a new personal record yesterday actually. 135 in an '06 A4 2.0

Nice!? Well, that would explain why my gas gauge was down so much last night.? That's it, Josh - I'm not leaving my keys in the car anymore, dammit! :lol:

(I've never taken mine over 110 actually.? I save my flat out runs for the Autobahn where I get roughed and cuffed.  :pullover: Without incriminating yourself, where did you do this?? Rhode Island is so small, you go that fast you'll land in Narragansett Bay, won't you?)

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

heelntoe

ha, my dad calls rhode island the accelerator state. you floor it once and by the time you stop, youre in the next state. :lol:
@heelntoe

J86

Quote from: saxonyron on November 20, 2006, 06:35:54 AM
Nice!? Well, that would explain why my gas gauge was down so much last night.? That's it, Josh - I'm not leaving my keys in the car anymore, dammit! :lol:

(I've never taken mine over 110 actually.? I save my flat out runs for the Autobahn where I get roughed and cuffed.? :pullover: Without incriminating yourself, where did you do this?? Rhode Island is so small, you go that fast you'll land in Narragansett Bay, won't you?)

Ron- you've got a real nice ride :lol:  I'm not back in Rhody yet (tomorrow!!!!!!!), I did this out on the Thruway.  A friend of mine got the car in May, I'd driven it around town but never put too many miles on it.  Got to drive all the way to Buffalo and back, about a hundred miles each way.  Cars like that remind me why I need to be successful...  I'm not used to driving such a fine piece of machinery; 135 sounds fast but in all honesty the car wasn't even remotely breathing hard.  It took virtually no time to reach that speed, and the brakes are so good it hauled back down very quickly.

One cool little feature, I don't know if this is common on luxury cars now?  When signalling to change lanes, just tapping the stalk makes the blinker flash three times, without needing to hold it down.  Cute... :lol:

I think there are about 4 roads where you can safely do 135 in the entire state of RI.

Heelintoe- not too far from the truth.  From my house, I can be anywhere in the state inside of an hour.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: J86 on November 20, 2006, 07:37:23 AM

One cool little feature, I don't know if this is common on luxury cars now? When signalling to change lanes, just tapping the stalk makes the blinker flash three times, without needing to hold it down. Cute... :lol:

Our Touareg has this. I think it's a VW/Audi AG thing. I've been inside a bunch of other luxury cars that DON'T have this, but even my 2006 Grand Caravan SXT has this feature, as do Charger, Magnum, 300C.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

The Pirate

One cool little feature, I don't know if this is common on luxury cars now?  When signalling to change lanes, just tapping the stalk makes the blinker flash three times, without needing to hold it down.  Cute... :lol:

Not that it matters, because nobody freaking signals anymore...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

sandertheshark

Quote from: The Pirate on November 20, 2006, 11:58:01 AM
Not that it matters, because nobody freaking signals anymore...
Except old ladies who leave the blinker on forever...

ro51092

Quote from: J86 on November 19, 2006, 09:41:12 PM
Set a new personal record yesterday actually.  135 in an '06 A4 2.0

:rockon:

saxonyron

Ron- you've got a real nice ride :lol: I'm not back in Rhody yet (tomorrow!!!!!!!), I did this out on the Thruway. A friend of mine got the car in May, I'd driven it around town but never put too many miles on it. Got to drive all the way to Buffalo and back, about a hundred miles each way. Cars like that remind me why I need to be successful... I'm not used to driving such a fine piece of machinery; 135 sounds fast but in all honesty the car wasn't even remotely breathing hard. It took virtually no time to reach that speed, and the brakes are so good it hauled back down very quickly.

One cool little feature, I don't know if this is common on luxury cars now? When signalling to change lanes, just tapping the stalk makes the blinker flash three times, without needing to hold it down. Cute... :lol:

I think there are about 4 roads where you can safely do 135 in the entire state of RI.

Heelintoe- not too far from the truth. From my house, I can be anywhere in the state inside of an hour.

Thanks!  You're right about the high speed abilities.  I hit 100 mph during my first test drive, and I thought I was only doing 80!   :pullover:

I'm addicted to the blinker feature.  Only problem is that when I drive my Expedition, I tap the stalk and nothing happens, making me look like one of those clueless drivers. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

Raza

Quote from: touareg208 on November 20, 2006, 08:20:46 AM
Our Touareg has this. I think it's a VW/Audi AG thing. I've been inside a bunch of other luxury cars that DON'T have this, but even my 2006 Grand Caravan SXT has this feature, as do Charger, Magnum, 300C.

Many new luxury cars do this; our S500 has it.

It's fucking annoying. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

One cool little feature, I don't know if this is common on luxury cars now?? When signalling to change lanes, just tapping the stalk makes the blinker flash three times, without needing to hold it down.? Cute... :lol:

I just noticed yesterday on my way home that my car has it.

GoCougs

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 14, 2006, 11:37:07 AM
My psersonal theory is that the speed limits should be adjusted by 20% for skilled drivers.? I follow the adjusted limit accordingly.

The fastest I've gone on the street in my Fairlane is somewhere north of 150mph (240kmh) and she's been clocked at 182.47mph (295kmh) on the track.? ?My Buell XB12S has reached its 140mph (225kmh) top speed on both the street and track.? My old Buell X1 also reached its top end on the street, IIRC that was about 135mph.? I also used to have a BMW 528xi but the fastest I've gone in that is only 110mph (176kmh)

BTW for anyone who has trouble converting units in their head just remember 1mph = 1.6kmh and 1kmh = 0.6mph, approximately.

182mph in a '68 Fairlane? This I've got to hear more of.

sandertheshark

Quote from: GoCougs on November 21, 2006, 02:21:10 PM
182mph in a '68 Fairlane? This I've got to hear more of.
182mph in heavily modified '68 Fairlane.  Why not?  You can make just about any old muscle car and get it up that fast with a few tweaks.  Some could do it stock.

GoCougs

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 21, 2006, 04:00:33 PM
182mph in heavily modified '68 Fairlane.? Why not?? You can make just about any old muscle car and get it up that fast with a few tweaks.? Some could do it stock.

Just curious as the tweaks and the track (read: type of racing - drag, road, etc.).

(And no, it takes much, much more than a few tweaks, and none could do it stock.)

SaltyDog

I keep it nice and slow on local roads; I'm not trying to run over any kiddies.  On intermediate roads I'll go 5-10 over.  On clear highways I'll cruise at 75.  Any more, and the Buick's steering looses any weight it once had and starts to shake a little.  An unexpected, slight curve at that speed will send me into a brief panic, and there goes a year off my life.  I did have it over 100 once or twice, but the speedo cuts off there so I don't know the exact speed.  Probably around 110.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

nickdrinkwater

Except for on the motorway (where I do about 80-85 - limit is 70mph here), I stick to the limit.

No tickets or bans or retaking my test, thanks.  You can still enjoy yourself without speeding.

3.0L V6

How fast do I drive?

Whatever is reasonable and prudent, given the conditions. So, in town I observe the limit, but on the open highway, during daytime and good weather, I drive somewhat faster than the posted limit.

SVT_Power

Quote from: touareg208 on November 15, 2006, 06:37:50 AM
YOU drove to PEI? On a G1?

I did most of the driving, but my mom drove as well. My dad wasn't around so I ended up with most of the driving
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GoCougs

Quote from: GoCougs on November 21, 2006, 06:06:43 PM
Just curious as the tweaks and the track (read: type of racing - drag, road, etc.).

(And no, it takes much, much more than a few tweaks, and none could do it stock.)

Bump...