How fast do you go?

Started by TheIntrepid, November 12, 2006, 09:56:39 AM

sandertheshark

Quote from: GoCougs on November 21, 2006, 06:06:43 PM
Just curious as the tweaks and the track (read: type of racing - drag, road, etc.).
Sorry, didn't see that before.

CJ has a rebuilt 428 Cobra Jet with custom-fabricated aluminum pistons and heads, ram-air fed Edelbrock carbs, custom-fabricated exhaust manifold, rebuilt 4mt with a 6" Titan Speed clutch, and an LSD.  Koni shocks on both ends, Eibach Coil-over springs in front and stiffened leafs in the back.  I can't remember exactly how the brake system got put together.  My uncle did all the work there.  I think it was basically ripped from a '96 Mustang with upgraded calipers and rotors.  It works great though.

I've raced her in a lot of drag timed laps and timed autocross.  And yes, if I change the gearing and take out the back seat and go flat out she pushes 180mph.  That's obvioulsy a little bit of work.  Not that I mind - I love playing with it - but it's sort of a hassle because I don't have my own garage and workspace.  Normally I can't get much past 160.

Quote(And no, it takes much, much more than a few tweaks, and none could do it stock.)
Yeah a few tweaks.  It's just a matter of gearing, really.  And I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure a few of the top-end muscle cars from back in the day could get into that territiry.  I know a 1969 Yenko Super Camaro could do 185mph, but that's obviously not stock.

GoCougs

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 28, 2006, 01:48:27 PM
Sorry, didn't see that before.

CJ has a rebuilt 428 Cobra Jet with custom-fabricated aluminum pistons and heads, ram-air fed Edelbrock carbs, custom-fabricated exhaust manifold, rebuilt 4mt with a 6" Titan Speed clutch, and an LSD.? Koni shocks on both ends, Eibach Coil-over springs in front and stiffened leafs in the back.? I can't remember exactly how the brake system got put together.? My uncle did all the work there.? I think it was basically ripped from a '96 Mustang with upgraded calipers and rotors.? It works great though.

I've raced her in a lot of drag timed laps and timed autocross.? And yes, if I change the gearing and take out the back seat and go flat out she pushes 180mph.? That's obvioulsy a little bit of work.? Not that I mind - I love playing with it - but it's sort of a hassle because I don't have my own garage and workspace.? Normally I can't get much past 160.
Yeah a few tweaks.? It's just a matter of gearing, really.? And I'd have to check but I'm pretty sure a few of the top-end muscle cars from back in the day could get into that territiry.? I know a 1969 Yenko Super Camaro could do 185mph, but that's obviously not stock.

The fastest muscle cars of the day without question were the winged Mopars (Super Bird, Daytona). Even with the most advantageous tall gearing and the most-powerful-of-its-day 426 Hemi option, those cars were good for up to about 160 mph. (To this 160 mph club I would add the 427 Cobra, but calling it a muscle car is stretch.) The next bracket down were the big block Corvettes. They could approach 150 mph, but again, only with the tallest of gearing. And when I mean tall gearing, I mean gearing that makes solid-lifter, high RPM cars of this flavor fairly gutless on the bottom-end, and to get pasted by most moderately-powered muscle cars of the day in the 1/4 mile.

The last picture I saw of your Fairlane showed a nice resto but with stock body work, 14" Cragar SSTs and a single carb on what appeared to be a run-of-the-mill FE (352/390) with stock exhaust manifolds. Just as a frame of reference for cars with a mid/late '60s Cd, stock cars of the 1960s, with 600hp to the street and mildly improved Cd versus their production counterparts, managed into the 180s. Only with the most powerful engine and profoundly more Cd-friendly body work did the winged Mopars move well into the 190s and finally hit 200mph. Forgetting the profound body, chassis, suspension and brake upgrades necessary to make such a vehicle as a '68 Fairlane even remotely safe at those speeds, you'd need to be putting about 600hp to the street to hit 182mph. Without the simply addition of the substantial downforce-producing body work (front air dam, small rear spoiler), even with 600hp and 2.73 gears, there's virtually zero chance a stock-bodied Fairlane would hold the road long enough to hit 182 mph.

sandertheshark

if you say so.

I asume you're talking about this picture:

I'm not sure when this was taken.  I know it was before we (my uncle and I) put the CJ in it.  That was in 1998.  I thought that was the 302 in there but we had put a lot of spare parts into the engine to get into running order.  I suppose it might have actually been a 352, to be honest I don't remember.  I wasn't doing too much engine work at that point but I'm pretty sure it was originally a 352.  I suppose its possible that my uncle just dropped something else in there and I either forgot or he didn't tell me.

Anyway I don't know how much experience you have with modifiying and racing classic muscle cars but I politely suggest you put down the graphing calculator and get behind the wheel of something scary like my monster.

thewizard16

Minimum of 5 over provided it's not terrible weather, and then depending on traffic, there's not a real limit to how much over I'll go (I generally go with the flow of the quickest traffic).
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Quote from: thewizard16 on November 29, 2006, 01:57:38 PM
Minimum of 5 over provided it's not terrible weather, and then depending on traffic, there's not a real limit to how much over I'll go (I generally go with the flow of the quickest traffic).

You've got a dangerous mentality, my friend.  I know, because I have the same one.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Confuzzled

Residential I do 25-28mph even though it pissed people off for going so slow.  Sorry but little kids are more important than their convenience.

City streets no faster that 5mph.  Too congested to open up.

Interstate I'll go with the flow of traffic in the particular lane I'm in and if I don't want to drive that fast, I'll move right to let faster traffic go by.

Open roads...especially ones I know are rarely travelled...as fast as I can just on the brink of loosing traction or until my tires melt...140+ on interstantes/hwys between cities with no traffic or mountain roads...30+ over...but that's only once a month or so.

ro51092

Hit 90 in the Audi today. I can't wait until 1001 miles.

I'm at 170 right now :(

Raghavan

Hit 192 in the Accord today.
That new turbo works great!
:praise:

saxonyron

Quote from: ro51092 on December 06, 2006, 09:04:48 PM
Hit 90 in the Audi today. I can't wait until 1001 miles.

I'm at 170 right now :(

Break in period is such a bittersweet time!  All the excitement of getting a new performance car tempered by the reality of driving like a old fart.  :banghead:  :lol:

I was cruising on Rt 3 in Catman's town this afternoon at a sort of high speed when what to my wondering eyes did appear but a County Sheriff Expedition with markings and full light bar merging in front of me.  It seems to take forever to haul your car down from ooohhhhh, say 100 mph when you're closing in fast on an LEO!  I'm pretty sure Sheriffs don't ticket, but I'm also pretty sure I don't want to find out! Damn A4 throttle keeps getting sucked to the floor - I'm gonna have to get that checked out.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

SVT_Power

Quote from: saxonyron on December 06, 2006, 10:00:26 PM
Break in period is such a bittersweet time!  All the excitement of getting a new performance car tempered by the reality of driving like a old fart.  :banghead:  :lol:

I was cruising on Rt 3 in Catman's town this afternoon at a sort of high speed when what to my wondering eyes did appear but a County Sheriff Expedition with markings and full light bar merging in front of me.  It seems to take forever to haul your car down from ooohhhhh, say 100 mph when you're closing in fast on an LEO!  I'm pretty sure Sheriffs don't ticket, but I'm also pretty sure I don't want to find out! Damn A4 throttle keeps getting sucked to the floor - I'm gonna have to get that checked out.

:devil: :lol: :lol: :cheers:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GoCougs

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 28, 2006, 04:08:15 PM
if you say so.

I asume you're talking about this picture:

I'm not sure when this was taken.? I know it was before we (my uncle and I) put the CJ in it.? That was in 1998.? I thought that was the 302 in there but we had put a lot of spare parts into the engine to get into running order.? I suppose it might have actually been a 352, to be honest I don't remember.? I wasn't doing too much engine work at that point but I'm pretty sure it was originally a 352.? I suppose its possible that my uncle just dropped something else in there and I either forgot or he didn't tell me.

Anyway I don't know how much experience you have with modifiying and racing classic muscle cars but I politely suggest you put down the graphing calculator and get behind the wheel of something scary like my monster.

I've had two somewhat fast muscle cars. The first was a '79 Camaro with a fairly hot 350/TH400 combo.  The second was a '72 Dodge Demon (picture a '72 Duster with some front-to-rear black stripes, a black hood, and various cartoon demon decals) with a mild 360 (tarted up like a 340)/TF727 combo. Were they as scary as a big-block powered intermediate Ford? Probably not. But of course owning such vehicles gives passage to a community in which others own such vehicles so riding and driving in like animals isn't uncommon; I remember built 5L Fox body Mustangs, a Dodge Dart 340, a Nova or two; and as luck would have it I went to school with a guy who had a '70 Mach1 with a 428CJ (original, too). Those days are about 10 years past, though...

Whist I do my best to put down my HP 48SX, I'd be interested in seeing the at-present configuration with the 428CJ, aluminum heads, ram-air fed Edelbrock carbs, and custom fabricated exhaust manifold. I'm also interested as to how a 302 and 352 can be confused as they are 100% different animals; from engine block, to bellhousing, to crank, to pistions, to heads, to intake and exhaust manifolds, to engine mounts, and just about everything else that would need to replaced/rebuilt to get such a thing in running order. And not to mention, size. The FE block is substantially larger.

And I have to admit, a 6" clutch sounds small for a V8-powered vehicle; especially one with 480hp.

Confuzzled

Quote from: Raghavan on December 06, 2006, 09:24:26 PM
Hit 192 in the Accord today.
That new turbo works great!
:praise:
192KM right?

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

sandertheshark

TheIntrepid

sandertheshark

TheIntrepid

Nebtek2002

I don't have much experience with Illinois drivers, but Minnesotans are pretty horrible ( though, in all fairness, it's likely that a lot of bad drivers with Minnesota plates that I encounter are native Omaha transplants visiting the old folks).

When I used to drive my kid up to Iowa State, the damn Minnesotans would pass me on the shoulder of I-35, despite my doing the limit in the slow lane and their having an open left lane to safely pass me in. They would then cut me off short and slow way down, presumably to "teach me a lesson" somehow.

If you're really in so much of a hurry that you'd do a dangerous illegal pass, do you have time to "teach" the passee a "lesson"? What I learned was that any asshole with the license fee can get a Minnesota license.

Minnesotans are terrible in the Black Hills on vacation. They want to take Arrmored Personnel Carrier-sized SUVs up gravel roads marked "oversized vehicles prohibited"--and want to do so with pedal as close to the metal as possible.

On touristy paved roads like Needles Highway they ride your bumper and flip you off for enjoying the scenery as the roads' designers intended you do.

Minnesotans should just stay home and watch Tourism Department videos of the Black Hills.
They expect I-35 straight from Rapid to Rushmore and are damned pissed when they don't get it.

dazzleman

Quote from: saxonyron on December 06, 2006, 10:00:26 PM
Break in period is such a bittersweet time!? All the excitement of getting a new performance car tempered by the reality of driving like a old fart.? :banghead:? :lol:

I was cruising on Rt 3 in Catman's town this afternoon at a sort of high speed when what to my wondering eyes did appear but a County Sheriff Expedition with markings and full light bar merging in front of me.? It seems to take forever to haul your car down from ooohhhhh, say 100 mph when you're closing in fast on an LEO!? I'm pretty sure Sheriffs don't ticket, but I'm also pretty sure I don't want to find out! Damn A4 throttle keeps getting sucked to the floor - I'm gonna have to get that checked out.

Ron, I think you need to get a medical checkup instead.  You have a sure case of disorderus rightus footus.  I don't think there's a surgical cure for it, other than amputation of the right foot, which is undesirable in all but the most extreme cases.  But the good news is that it can be controlled with medication.... :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Sheriffs around here only serve warrants and do bomb squad duty. I met alot of them at an '04 Bush rally I worked at where Jenna and Barbara were the guests.  The bomb-sniffing dog spent most of the time licking me, however.  :lol:

They seemed pretty cool.  I suppose if you're tearing it up, they will radio to the regular PD, though. 

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on December 07, 2006, 07:17:08 PM
Ron, I think you need to get a medical checkup instead. You have a sure case of disorderus rightus footus. I don't think there's a surgical cure for it, other than amputation of the right foot, which is undesirable in all but the most extreme cases. But the good news is that it can be controlled with medication.... :lol:

Hmmmm.   Sounds like it may be related to my other disorder, Bendius Elbownius - a situation where I can't walk past a nice cold Warsteiner without emptying it.  Fortunately, I never mix the two disorders!  :ohyeah:  :lol:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Soup DeVille

As a general rule, I find it is not a good idea to go any faster than the person directly in front of you for any length of time.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2006, 10:19:41 PM
As a general rule, I find it is not a good idea to go any faster than the person directly in front of you for any length of time.

Well, not if they're directly in front of you...

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 07, 2006, 10:19:41 PM

That's common sense right ? :confused: If you go faster than him..you're obviously going to run INTO him... and that Deville will turn into Soup ;)

AutobahnSHO

My record on the DC beltway is 85mph (zoned 55, usually bad traffic) and that was in the '99.
Generally I don't do more than 5mph over on residential/rural roads and 10mph on highways.

A few pages back talking about minivans, my '92 isn't limited but the speedo stops at 100mph.  It still has quite a bit more than that.   :ohyeah:
A friend with a 97ish Dodge minivan maxed it in Germany but when the limiter kicks in it doesn't allow fuel flow again until you're down to 100mph or so.  Scary when traffic is right behind you and you think you had a breakdown...   :nono:

My wife had a speed limit of 90mph in the SHO, if she wasn't in the car I'd drive 120-125mph in the no speed limit zones.  I hit the end of the speedo (140mph) a few times, just to do it.  Wastes gas though.  :devil:
Will

ro51092

GODDAMNIT, BREAK-IN PERIOD SUCKS. I WANT TO HIT REDLINE DAMNIT. I NEED TO HIT THE LIMITER!!!!!

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ro51092 on December 08, 2006, 10:31:57 PM
GODDAMNIT, BREAK-IN PERIOD SUCKS. I WANT TO HIT REDLINE DAMNIT. I NEED TO HIT THE LIMITER!!!!!
LOL
Buy used.  You don't have to worry about the first dent, either.   :lol:
Will

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ro51092 on December 08, 2006, 10:31:57 PM

Rev that bitch up!

Maybe it will help seat the rings.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 09, 2006, 11:39:35 AM
Rev that bitch up!

Maybe it will help seat the rings.
Wasn't there a HUGE C&D debacle over this one about a year ago??
Seems airplane engine break-in is the opposite what the car manufacturers recommend but someone was comparing them and so the thread was just totally  :confused:
Will

rohan

On my way home from training last night at about 12:30am I was on I-94 with light traffic and I let her rip.? I was at about 135 when I heard a "BOL for a red coupe taveling well in excess of 100mph" with my exact location over my portable.? :pullover: :pullover: So I let off and took the next exit.? ?:rage:? ?Oh well I know it goes about 135 anyway.
Otherwise I usually don't go that fast maybe 8 over whatever the limit is about 25-40% of the time the rest of the time I go about the limit.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle