Italdesign Mustang

Started by SVT666, November 16, 2006, 08:59:26 AM

Nethead

Why thanks, Hemi!  Shucks!  The Nethead here feels he sorta outdid himself on that one, too!  (Blush)...But a dude's gotta do what a dude's gotta do!  When those leech molesters wanted more days and hours outta the Nethead here, I knew it was so the rectal-seepage-swilling department manager could get more week-ends off.  He was the seventh department manager in the five-and-a-half years I worked there (one lasted only three shifts, another two pay periods...)--and he was the only one that couldn't run the department with the me working the hours I agreed to work when I re-hired there some years earlier (The Nethead here quit for six months once when the then store manager decreed that all part-timers must thereafter work Saturdays AND Sundays).  It sucked outloud and offkey by the time I quit two years ago--which is tragic because it had been a decent place to work part-time when I started working there in 1999...
So many stairs...so little time...

BMWDave

The Italdesign Mustang is clearly a beautiful car, but, as others have said, the essence of the pony car is lost on it.  It obviously will be very powerful, and the design is gorgeous.  I'm sure they wont make a lot of them, and, as is usually the case, probably all will be sold.   

I know I'm late to this thread, but welcome nethead!!  Its always great to get members who post consistently.  Welcome! 

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Nethead

BMWDave: Thank you for the welcome, Dave!  It's good to be here, especially since there are forum members here with perspectives from Canada and Australia, to name just two countries whose citizens have posted informative replies to several of my posts.

"Its always great to get members who post consistently."  Dave, I suspect that some of the inconsistent postings are the result of this being a forum site.  On websites where there is a staff posting articles and events regularly (Car & Driver, AutoWeek, et al), discussion material is always being generated by the articles and events even when the forum participants might otherwise be dormant.  Note that SEMA articles published elsewhere have generated several topics here--imagine the volume they generate on the websites where the articles and events were originally published!

"The Italdesign Mustang is clearly a beautiful car, but, as others have said, the essence of the pony car is lost on it.  It obviously will be very powerful, and the design is gorgeous.  I'm sure they wont make a lot of them, and, as is usually the case, probably all will be sold."  So far, the Nethead here hasn't seen anything that would establish the Giugiaro Mustang as anything more than a rotundawonder--due to make the shows this season and then fade away.  Is there a source which is claiming that Giugiaro Mustangs will be produced for sale??
And I agree with you--if it isn't 2+2 seating--or perhaps genuine 4-passenger seating--"the essence of the pony car is lost on it."  The one rear quarter pic I've seen looks 2-passenger, which is a different vehicle all together than a Mustang and the legion of Mustang imitations.  We definitely need more info on this vehicle.  The NYIAS is in January, isn't it?  Is there Ford involvement in this project?  If Ford's involved even peripherally, what happened to the Cobra roadster and the Cobra GR-1 fastback--I can't see more need for the Giugiaro than for either of those rotundawonders... 

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on November 22, 2006, 02:41:13 PM
...what happened to the Cobra roadster and the Cobra GR-1 fastback.
The Cobra roadster completely lacked the most important feature the original had...character!  It was extremely bland looking.  The GR-1 is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen and should be the successor to the Ford GT.

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

omicron

Speaking of which, I sprayed a spider today.

Nethead

"Speaking of which, I sprayed a spider today."

Keep up the good work, Omi, and keep the spraycan handy! 

mazda6er

--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Catman

Why won't this thread die?  It's an ugly car people. :confused:

Danish

^
|

Says the guy who bumped it

:lol:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

Nethead

HEMI666 is right as usual--the 2004 concepts for the current Mustangs were indeed two-passenger vehicles! That's at least the fourth concept two-passenger Mustang, and y'all may have casually noticed that not one of them made it to production...Whether this is a good thing or not the Nethead here does not know or pretend to know.? It seems to me that Mustangs could be offered with 2+2 seating AND with "just 2" seating on a shortened wheelbase Mustang, although even a superficial study of this proposal reveals just how costly manufacturing two versions like this could become--huge changes aft of the doors would be necessary (fuel tank location, for starters--a problem that Pontiac did a piss-poor job of solving in the last GTO and it was a four-seater)!

Would a two-passenger (and I mean shortened at least a foot--not just with the rear seat removed like the first G.T. 350s of '65 & '66) Mustang sell??

Ford has toyed with the idea regularly, but has never taken the plunge.? It could be that market research shows that the vast majority of those who would buy shortened two-passenger Mustangs are people who would be buying Mustangs with the traditional 2+2 seating anyway--so your sales would hardly increase enough to justify the cost of producing a major variant.?

And in the end, Hau Thai Tang, Dan Davis, whatshisname Mullally, and Bill Ford aren't leaving messages on my answering machine to get back with them on whether or not the Nethead here thinks a two-passenger Mustang would be a good idea...their loss, of course!

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on November 26, 2006, 09:35:14 PM
And in the end, Hau Thai Tang, Dan Davis, whatshisname Mullally, and Bill Ford aren't leaving messages on my answering machine to get back with them on whether or not the Nethead here thinks a two-passenger Mustang would be a good idea...their loss, of course!
I feel your pain.  Who knows how good the Mustang would be if they actually called one of us.

gasoline

Okay...
So sexy, sexy...

If someone could resize this for me it'll be my next backdrop.
Oh my goodness, this car is sexy!

Look at this lovely shape!
Click to enlarge.

This next one is so nice, I'll make it large:

And that is all I will post for now.
Here is the link to millions more:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/28/giugiaros-mustang-hotness-revealed/
and here...
http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/t24674

I'm exhausted.
I hope I don't get into trouble here.
-----------------------------------

omicron

The rear end is exquisitely proportioned; the front is silently aggressive; the wheel arches are magical; the flow of the roofline is majestic; the wheels are to die for.

Make those tailights classic Mustang, as ChrisV suggested, and it's perfect.
Of course, the hideous trim must go.

Raza

Give it regular doors, fix the tail lamps, paint it in a nice color, and I'd buy one.  The side profile looks great. 

Although, it really doesn't scream "Mustang" to me.  Charger, maybe.  Camaro even.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

Wimbledon White with blue. Delicious.

ChrisV

Unfortunately, it's got a LOT of showcar-only touches, like the doors...

I love the color and the overall shape. But the taillights and the lower scoop bodyline I still think are not right.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

It's super sexy, and with a a little tweaking it could screm Mustang, but right now it doesn't.  The side profile screams 280ZX.  I like the straight on view of the front end but not the side view.

ChrisV

it is, however, closer to being a Mustang visually than Guigiaro Sr's original '65 Mustang concept for Bertone:

Nethead

Dudes!  This can't work, sexy or not!  There is no foot/leg room in the back seat.  The front overhang is gargantuan!  The horsey upholstery will infuriate every animal activist in The Milky Way!  What are those headlights, anyway?  And those slanty-bottomed taillights!  The glass roof would not likely meet rollover standards as they apply to OEM cars, although as an aftermarket add-on I doubt if any rollover standards have to be met.  The dash is space cadet--chrome and paint and strange wing-looking "hoods" over the glovebox and over the instrument cluster.  And only a 140 MPH speedo is insufficient for even the current Mustang, much less a later GT500 derivative.  And most damning of all, I think that's a Chuck Amato celebrity impersonator sitting in the passenger seat with the "Torino" sweatshirt!  Or maybe that IS Chuck Amato (he IS available) with some Grecian Formula in Shoepolish Black artfully blending that gray!!  Naahhh--Chuck would never be caught wearing tasteful sunglasses...

Maybe the Giugiaro Mustang will grow on me.

SVT666

There are some nice touches though Nethead.

ChrisV

The taillights are italian showcar, the roof is coming on many manufacturere's cars in the near future, and the hoodline is no longer than the '71-73 mustang, and the upper front 3/4 view actually makes it look shorter than this car:

Raza

Does the side profile look a lot like the Camaro concept to anyone else?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

gasoline

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 09:10:39 AM
Does the side profile look a lot like the Camaro concept to anyone else?
I think when you look at the history of muscle-car design, almost all of them had that frown once in a while;

This is the first thing I thought of though--

ChrisV is onto something though.
It is simply a highly stylized version of what he posted.
-----------------------------------

heelntoe

i thought of a BMW 6er when i saw the front 3/4 view.

gas, please tell me that picture is a chop.
@heelntoe

sandertheshark

Looking at the front end I'm mesmerized by those headlights tucked into the corners of the recessed grille, and that angry eyebrow effect with the shape of it... and I have to smack myself in the back of the head to break the spell and remember its a Mustang and not a new Camaro.  A Mustang imitating a Camaro.  Don't that beat all.

SVT666

ChrisV

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 28, 2006, 10:37:19 AM
Looking at the front end I'm mesmerized by those headlights tucked into the corners of the recessed grille, and that angry eyebrow effect with the shape of it... and I have to smack myself in the back of the head to break the spell and remember its a Mustang and not a new Camaro.  A Mustang imitating a Camaro.  Don't that beat all.

Other than the ONE body line on the lower door, I don't see ANY Camaro in it...