Italdesign Mustang

Started by SVT666, November 16, 2006, 08:59:26 AM

Nethead

ChrisV: O Master of the Photochop, heed my plea!  Remove the nose (grille, headlights, fascia beneath the headlights & grille) of this Giugiaro Mustang and photochop on a standard current Mustang GT grille, headlights, and bumper (in this "metallic tangerine" color if possible).  Lower the current Mustang's nose so that the top of the grille opening is exactly where the top of the grille opening is on the Giugiaro Mustang and I think we'd have a winner here--the Nethead here just can't get off on the Giugiaro's vaguely GT500 nose (which I ain't thrilled about on a GT500, either).  If you choose to shorten the vast nasal overhang of this bad boy, it will only make it better!
So many stairs...so little time...

sandertheshark

Quote from: ChrisV on November 28, 2006, 10:54:07 AM
Other than the ONE body line on the lower door, I don't see ANY Camaro in it...
Oh no?  Try looking at 'em from teh front.

Look in to its eyes... you are getting sleepy...

ChrisV

From teh front I see '69 camaro Z/28 in the Camaro nose, and '71/'00 Mustang in the Italdesign offering. the proportions are so completely differnt that other than 4 wheels and a slight similarity at the lower door bodyline, They are as identical to me as they are to a new WRX.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Me neither.  I don't see Camaro at all.

gasoline

Quote from: heelntoe on November 28, 2006, 09:48:08 AM
i thought of a BMW 6er when i saw the front 3/4 view.

gas, please tell me that picture is a chop.
:lol: :lol:
Not my chop though...
-----------------------------------

Catman

I'm starting to like it now.  Gawd though, the seats are hideous.

goldenlover1101

looks good, as previously stated needs some tweaking but I believe it could be a good representation of the 2010 mustang.  They said it was going to be a modern take on the muscle car them, such as the camaro. But the camaro still looks much better IMO. It looks better proportioned and more muscle car like. I would rank the new muscle like this:
1. Camaro
2.Challenger
3.Mustang
4. GTO (Current)

Not sure if the vette counts, dont think so but it would top my list

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Raza

GTO's the best looking of the bunch!  And much better to drive than the Mustang.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on November 28, 2006, 06:08:55 PM
looks good, as previously stated needs some tweaking but I believe it could be a good representation of the 2010 mustang.? They said it was going to be a modern take on the muscle car them, such as the camaro. But the camaro still looks much better IMO. It looks better proportioned and more muscle car like. I would rank the new muscle like this:
1. Camaro
2.Challenger
3.Mustang
4. GTO (Current)

Not sure if the vette counts, dont think so but it would top my list

None of those are beauty queens.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raghavan

It looks like a crosseyed, constipated Civic from the front.

Nethead

goldenlover1101: Golddude! There is no current GTO.  I believe the last one--a red one--rolled off the Aussie assembly line about a year ago.  The Aussie Monaro, which was rebadged to be a US GTO, was discontinued soon thereafter.

gasoline

-----------------------------------

SVT666

hmmmm.  The real world pictures do look better except for the rear end.  The rear end looks far worse in the real world pictures.  I don't mind the front end at all though.

Nethead

Y'know what? This looks like what a concept would have looked like of a new Mustang if Ford had decided to continue the "New Edge" styling of the '04 and earlier Mustangs on into 2005 and beyond--especially the front view--it's all 2004 Mustang with that puckered asshole grille stretched two or three feet and strange headlights dug up from God knows where--maybe the BMW 6er someone else mentioned in a posting upstream of this one.?
I admit I do like this car from the front wheel centerline rearwards--especially the rear fenders from the '70 Mustang and the full fastback from the '67s.? I'd take the current Mustang's C-pillar window over the louvered windows in the G that hearken back to the functional sheetmetal C-pillar louvered vents in the first 2+2 Mustangs (the '65 fastbacks, for those too young to remember that the first Mustang fastbacks were designated "2+2").? The taillights have got to be fixed, as ChrisV did so artfully early in this thread.? And the over-500-hp engine is a nice touch.? And this Mustang looks shitloads better than that '66 effort by G's dad--enough glass there to reglaze your AMC Pacer!

Raghavan

The back end would look nicer if all three lights were the same size.

Nethead

I followed the thread to the Winding Road photos at the impromptu unveiling in El Lay, and this car is growing on me.  Check out the shot made from a balcony--the all crystal roof allows you to see all the seats from above and that is cool.  I love the shot where the back seats and one of the front seats have been folded to make a totally flat floor!  Since the upholstery is horsehide, what a great place to spread out a cowgirl!  Clever trick, that, in a car this small!  I dig those rear fenders--the blending of the '70 Mustang's rear fenders with the '64 Mustang's rear fenders with a splash of '67 fastback thrown in for the aphrodisiac effect!  Only the headlights and grille need work--the Nethead here has decided to quit whining about the slanty-bottomed taillights since I'd put up with those to have a car so slick!  Actually, I became forgiving when I noted that the El Lay pics show that the front overhang is not nearly as great as it appears to be in the spyphotos shot in Italy--OTOH, those Italian pics showed a flat-black-painted hood bulge and the El Lay pics do not--are there two of these puppies???  The car looks better without the flat-black, as all cars do.

FoMoJo

I love these taillights...and the lack of spoiler.

...not too sure about the lights in the emblem though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

thewizard16

I think I like it, but the Camaro is really growing on me, which is amazing considering how critical I was of it when I first saw the concept.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

SVT666

The rear end still looks bad.  The rest of it is really growing on me though.  The spy photo I saw of the 2012 Mustang Concept car has a very similar front end.

FoMoJo

Have those taillights appeared elsewhere?  I really don't recall.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Nethead

HEMI666:? You've seen a spy photo of the 2012 Mustang??? (!!!)? By now all Mustangphiles and many Mustangphobes have seen the website drawing that looks roughly like the Mustang G in these pics.? That drawing is an offset front view, and you can't see the rear--not even enough to discern whether the roof is a repeat of the current roof or whether the roof will be a full fastback like the Mustang G.? There's also a German mag's drawings of a fastback, a convertible, and a station wagon Mustang that bear only a passing resemblance to the Mustang G.
But I digress...How complete was the spy photo (Partial view of the front? or the rear? or a full side view?)?? Were parts of it concealed with black covers with holes cut in them to allow air into the grille and the lights to be functional?

Conjecture: Several sources on the www say that J. Mays and Giugiaro collaborated on the flashy vehicle that is the subject of this thread.? They also say that Ford Racing or FRPP provided the engine (there's one site--jalopnik, I think--that has a photo of the G with the hood raised and the engine sorta buried in intake ducting aluminum (or possibly plastic painted to resemble aluminum--unlikely in an Italian custom house product, for sure).? The polished twin-screw blower is about all that can be seen.? I believe this engine was built entirely from parts available in the FRPP catalog except for the custom intake ducting, and no info was posted as to whether this is an emissions-legal buildup of the three-valve 4.6.
The shift lever--complete with a cupholder in the lever shaft (not really, but there's a large round hole in the lever shaft that defies rational explanation.? Italians...)--looks like an automatic transmission lever to me, and everything behind the driveshaft is all Shelby GT parts as found in one of Ford's Mustang GT Power Packs.? Thankfully, this is a driveable concept--I'd love to know the weight, even if rotundawonders tend to be on the heavy side due to all the whistles, buzzers, and bells included for the Geewhiz factor.? My guess is that those two tiny "side mirrors" are probably two TV cameras whose images are projected onto whatever passes for a rear view mirror in the G.? Surprisingly, Ford went to a specialties shop for the glass windshield/roof/rear window one-piece--Ford is the leader in automotive glass production, supplying much production glass to GM and DCX as well as a lot of their competitor's concepts glass.? I guess it was a take-no-chances approach to the concept--if the public generally disapproves of the vast glassback of the G, Ford hasn't invested anything in tooling to produce them.? I think it is fabulous, but my opinion might change on I-10 through New Mexico in August...
Has the Nethead here rambled sufficiently for one posting yet?

goldenlover1101

Quote from: Nethead on November 29, 2006, 11:09:47 AM
goldenlover1101: Golddude! There is no current GTO.? I believe the last one--a red one--rolled off the Aussie assembly line about a year ago.? The Aussie Monaro, which was rebadged to be a US GTO, was discontinued soon thereafter.

I apologize. I knew they were discontinued but I thought you still might be able to find a new one on a dealer lot, which i thought might make them still for sell. I suck at life. Sucked that they stopped making them though. I thought they were great cars! Too bad they didnt sell.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on November 30, 2006, 06:51:55 AM
HEMI666:? You've seen a spy photo of the 2012 Mustang??? (!!!)? By now all Mustangphiles and many Mustangphobes have seen the website drawing that looks roughly like the Mustang G in these pics.? That drawing is an offset front view, and you can't see the rear--not even enough to discern whether the roof is a repeat of the current roof or whether the roof will be a full fastback like the Mustang G.? There's also a German mag's drawings of a fastback, a convertible, and a station wagon Mustang that bear only a passing resemblance to the Mustang G.
But I digress...How complete was the spy photo (Partial view of the front? or the rear? or a full side view?)?? Were parts of it concealed with black covers with holes cut in them to allow air into the grille and the lights to be functional?
Iwas from the middle of the rear tires forward.  Mostly side profile with a 3/4 view of the front end.  Lines were too straight for my liking but the headlights, grille opening, and front end details were extremely similar to that of the Giugiaro Mustang.  From the front wheels back the lines were straighter and lower then the Giugiaro.  Like I said, the lines were too straight for my liking, but then again the 1994 Mustnag didn't look exactly like the Mach III show car did it?  The picture was taken down almost immediately after i saw it.  I don't think Ford liked it very much that it was there. :lol:

SVT666

OK, maybe not "extremely" similar, but it is similar.? When I made my last post all I was going from was memory.? All I could get from a "friend" of mine was this:

Nethead

HEMI666: I've seen that pic on other websites, and it apparently is a skillful "painting" from some magazine or magazine's website.  If you look at the roof of the Mustang above the rear of the door windows, you'll see a mismatch of the picture, as though the right side is higher than the left side of a two-page pic that has been spliced together.  It does have similarities to the Mustang G, which possibly means that this was a "general idea of what we want" pic that J. Mays may have taken to Giugiaro.  The Mustang G looks better than this "painting" or photochop or "shaded drawing" or whatever it is.  Much better, in fact.  The grilles are very close, and the headlights are reasonably close.  But the Mustang G has a lower nose because of more downward curve forward of the front wheel centerline.  Between the two, the Mustang G looks better in every aspect--much leaner overall (but all concepts look leaner than their production counterparts, probably because they are). 
Giugiaro says they spent 30,000 hours on their concept--WHEW!--you can calculate the immense cost even if their labor rate was only $4.00/hour!!  And I ain't countin' the cost of the materials and the cost of a Mustang GT to start from.  We'll not even mention the cost of the supercharged 4.6, since that technically did not have to be done to produce the Mustang G.  But it's a thing of beauty, which shows that Giugiaro knows what they're doin'!!

TheIntrepid

Quote from: HEMI666 on November 22, 2006, 09:51:19 AM
That was one of the most disgusting things I have ever read.

quoted for truth.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

I gotta say, watching this car drive down the road is actually somewhat impressive.  I'm liking this car more and more all the time.

http://www.stangnet.com/Videos/Exhibition/The-Giugiaro-Mustang-Concept-%11-part-3/details/

Raza

Gasoline, you've got to take the links out of your pictures.  Just post the image.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

LonghornTX

Most of the car I like, but the taillights are really not my thing  :(.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on December 13, 2006, 04:25:56 PM
Most of the car I like, but the taillights are really not my thing? :(.
Yeah, I hate the tailights, but everything else is looking pretty good.  Although I'm not a fan of the one piece windshield and roof.