Engine runs but the Voyager will not move

Started by Galaxy, November 16, 2006, 01:44:43 PM

MX793

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 22, 2006, 03:48:04 PM
Could be a possibility too.  :huh:

I'd be more inclined to say it's rust though.  When I moved last month I hadn't used the p-brake on my white van since I bought it in May.  Our new driveway is super sloped, and I tried it and it doesn't work.  I pulled it apart and spent an hour or so trying to adjust the back brakes right, to find out the cable is rusted somewhere so the one side isn't engaging...  :(

I was kinda referring to Galaxy's problem with the frozen brakes. 

Yours may well be a rusted linkage.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

S204STi

This sort of thing happens when people who never normally use their parking brakes finally apply them only to find that the controlling mechanisms are rusted, resulting in a seized parking brake.  If the parking brakes use levers on the back side of the drums, try grabbing them and forcing them back.  If the cable moves freely while doing this, then it is probably not the cable. Using a drum adjuster tool, back off the brake shoes enough to pull the drum off. spray any hinges or pivots with some sort of heavy spray lube, such as lithium grease, trying to avoid getting it on the actual shoes, as that can result in noise and/or grabby brakes. work the grease in by moving the parts around as you do this and let it dry.  put the drums back on, and adjust from the rear until there is just the slightest drag. Then apply the foot brake a couple of times, recheck, and readjust again till there is just a slight drag.  Then check the parking brake again for function.  If it releases normally, you're set.  Just make sure to use it every day from now on, to keep it from rusting up in the joints of the mechanism.  If not, then you may have to replace some parts, or apply more lubricant.

Not fun!

The Pirate

R-inge, so basically, using it frequently will actually keep it in okay working order?

My car has 113K miles, and the parking brake still feels as strong as the day I got the car.  It's a manual tranny, so I use it probably 80% of the time I park.

What about if the car isn't going to be moved for a few days or so, in winter?  Should I still put it on?

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MX793 on November 22, 2006, 07:18:18 PM
I was kinda referring to Galaxy's problem with the frozen brakes.?

Yours may well be a rusted linkage.
I know, and i was thinking maybe his is rusted, too..

The Pirate: short answer is Yes using it keeps in working.
In winter be careful you don't apply it right after any hard braking- the heat plus any moisture could cause freezage..
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: R-inge on November 23, 2006, 09:11:25 AM
Using a drum adjuster tool, back off the brake shoes enough to pull the drum off.
Not fun!
Next time I'm working I'll have to take a picture of the 95-00 caravan rear brake setup.  You must have to have some special tool, because the opening to get a tool in is blocked from the inside with the cable!! 
It's absolutely retarded.
I ended up using a hammer and two screwdrivers to bash/ pry the drum off one side. (The other came off easy.)
Will

S204STi

Quote from: The Pirate on November 23, 2006, 10:47:45 AM
R-inge, so basically, using it frequently will actually keep it in okay working order?

My car has 113K miles, and the parking brake still feels as strong as the day I got the car.? It's a manual tranny, so I use it probably 80% of the time I park.

What about if the car isn't going to be moved for a few days or so, in winter?? Should I still put it on?

That is my impression, yes, both from my own experience and the experience of others that I have worked with.  I think that if you are going to be leaving it sitting for a few days you may want to consider leaving it off however, just in case.

S204STi

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 23, 2006, 05:58:16 PM
Next time I'm working I'll have to take a picture of the 95-00 caravan rear brake setup.? You must have to have some special tool, because the opening to get a tool in is blocked from the inside with the cable!!?
It's absolutely retarded.
I ended up using a hammer and two screwdrivers to bash/ pry the drum off one side. (The other came off easy.)

yeah, some are like that.   I guess I refer mentally to images of Nissans because they are pretty much all adjustable from the rear.  But my wife's Fucus  cannot be adjusted or even inspected from the rear.  In that case you just hope to the sweet Lord that there isn't a rust ridge built up on the outer edge of the drums, or the parking brake is stuck.  In these cases you are screwed and you end up having to do what you did.  Kinda blows...  Personally I think they should do away with drum brakes, but they are cheap and rarely require replacement so they make sense in economy situations.

Galaxy

Quote from: L. ed foote on November 22, 2006, 02:44:24 PM
out of curiosity, why'd you let the car sit for 3 weeks?

It just was not needed in that time.

Galaxy

Quote from: R-inge on November 23, 2006, 09:11:25 AM
This sort of thing happens when people who never normally use their parking brakes finally apply them only to find that the controlling mechanisms are rusted, resulting in a seized parking brake.

I do use it quite often. For one every since driving school it has been imprinted onto my mind to use the parking brake. It often happens subconsciously.  Also even though the P setting will hold the van on even a step hill, it puts a lot of tension onto the transmission and when one puts it back into D it goes CACHUNK.

S204STi

Quote from: Galaxy on November 24, 2006, 03:18:35 AM
I do use it quite often. For one every since driving school it has been imprinted onto my mind to use the parking brake. It often happens subconsciously.  Also even though the P setting will hold the van on even a step hill, it puts a lot of tension onto the transmission and when one puts it back into D it goes CACHUNK.

Strange...oh well.  Learn something new every day!

JWC

The park brake stuck on one of my old Bugs once.  I hit the backing plate with a hammer.  Never gave me another problem. :lol:

Seriously, that's what I did.

S204STi

Quote from: JWC on November 25, 2006, 12:54:48 PM
The park brake stuck on one of my old Bugs once.  I hit the backing plate with a hammer.  Never gave me another problem. :lol:

lol!

Raza

Quote from: JWC on November 25, 2006, 12:54:48 PM

Good old fashioned violence solves just about everything.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.