Autobild: BMW 335i vs Porsche 911 Carrera

Started by cawimmer430, November 28, 2006, 06:14:58 AM

SVT_Power

Two very different cars imo. That 335i looks especially ugly next to the 911
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

sandertheshark

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 12:15:15 PM
Why pay more to get less?

I think it all depends on how much better you think a coupe looks. I like coupes more than sedans as a general rule and I think the E92 is that much better looking, so I'd personally do it. To each his own.  :praise:

850CSi

Quote from: The Pirate on November 28, 2006, 12:16:42 PM
E92 is the designation of the current coupe?? Is that the first time the sedan and coupe received different designations?

I believe it is the first time they have different designations - The estate is E91. It could have something to do with the fact that the 3 Coupe was originally supposed to be called the 4-Series. I believe the long wheelbase 7er is called the E66 (as opposed to E65 for the normal version).

850CSi

Raghavan

I thought the 335i looked fugly until Wimmer posted one he took a pic of. That black looked gorgeous, and now, it I think the 335 look awesome.
Of course, i'd have the 911 over that.

sandertheshark

Quote from: 850CSi on November 28, 2006, 04:43:47 PM
I'm puzzled... They made an AWD E39?
Nope, but it was badged an xi anyway.  Took me a while to figure out why the front wheels wouldn't spin.  I never brought this up before because I feel like an idiot everytime I do.  I think, I'm not sure but I think the original owner just scraped the badge off the back and glued an x in the middle, then sorta fibbed on the registration.  By the time I figured out I was gyped the guy had disappeared.  I was happy enough with it not to bother chasing him down and I just got in the habit of calling it an xi so I wouldn't have to explain to people what an idiot I am.  I need to stop doing that :banghead:  528i.  528i.  528i.

J86

Quote from: sandertheshark on November 28, 2006, 05:19:24 PM
Nope, but it was badged an xi anyway.? Took me a while to figure out why the front wheels wouldn't spin.? I never brought this up before because I feel like an idiot everytime I do.? I think, I'm not sure but I think the original owner just scraped the badge off the back and glued an x in the middle, then sorta fibbed on the registration.? By the time I figured out I was gyped the guy had disappeared.? I was happy enough with it not to bother chasing him down and I just got in the habit of calling it an xi so I wouldn't have to explain to people what an idiot I am.? I need to stop doing that :banghead:? 528i.? 528i.? 528i.

That is absolutely hysterical :lol:

SVT_Power

Quote from: 850CSi on November 28, 2006, 04:42:48 PM
I believe it is the first time they have different designations - The estate is E91. It could have something to do with the fact that the 3 Coupe was originally supposed to be called the 4-Series. I believe the long wheelbase 7er is called the E66 (as opposed to E65 for the normal version).

I saw the estate for the first time yesterday and it looks very good
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

goldenlover1101

Nope, but it was badged an xi anyway.? Took me a while to figure out why the front wheels wouldn't spin.? I never brought this up before because I feel like an idiot everytime I do.? I think, I'm not sure but I think the original owner just scraped the badge off the back and glued an x in the middle, then sorta fibbed on the registration.? By the time I figured out I was gyped the guy had disappeared.? I was happy enough with it not to bother chasing him down and I just got in the habit of calling it an xi so I wouldn't have to explain to people what an idiot I am.? I need to stop doing that :banghead:? 528i.? 528i.? 528i.

That doesnt make you an idiot, just makes him an a**.As long as you are happy with your purchase thats all that matters. My soon to be mother in law has a  last generation blue 328ci and it is a very nice car. Looks much better in my opinion than the new ones IMO.

"The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

SVT_Power

Quote from: goldenlover1101 on November 28, 2006, 06:00:21 PM
That doesnt make you an idiot, just makes him an a**.As long as you are happy with your purchase thats all that matters. My soon to be mother in law has a  last generation blue 328ci and it is a very nice car. Looks much better in my opinion than the new ones IMO.

You are correct about that last point. But the last couple of years of that gen coupe with the PP package was arguably the best looking BMW at the time

sandertheshark

Back to the topic:  Edmunds tests the same 335i paddle-shifted automatic and gets 0-60mph in 4.8 seconds.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/bmw/3series/100814243/roadtestarticle.html&articleId=117669

Raghavan

ro51092

Nope, but it was badged an xi anyway.  Took me a while to figure out why the front wheels wouldn't spin.  I never brought this up before because I feel like an idiot everytime I do.  I think, I'm not sure but I think the original owner just scraped the badge off the back and glued an x in the middle, then sorta fibbed on the registration.  By the time I figured out I was gyped the guy had disappeared.  I was happy enough with it not to bother chasing him down and I just got in the habit of calling it an xi so I wouldn't have to explain to people what an idiot I am.  I need to stop doing that :banghead:  528i.  528i.  528i.

:lol: :lol:

I nominate that for story of the year.

SVT_Power

Quote from: ro51092 on November 28, 2006, 07:49:46 PM
:lol: :lol:

I nominate that for story of the year.

*Fast forward to end of yr*

And the winner of the Carspin story of the year goes to...Sanders! :lol:

GoCougs

Model is hard-coded to the VIN when it is assigned to the vehicle. It is then of course transferred to the title and registration. Anyone with the capability to forge these document(s) I think would be onto much, much better paying scams. The flaw with this scam of course is that the bank would not have a Blue Book value indicating the slightly higher value since the model didn't exist. The bank or lending institution would have likely caught the forged document(s) anyway, and would not have loaned on it. The insurance company too would have noted that the model simply didn't exist, and if the model does not exist they cannot insure it.

Wasn't the hack job on the badge obvious to an eight year old? It's all one contiguous piece, correct? And you didn't have such an expensive, complicated used car checked out by a mechanic prior to purchase, who would have obviously noted that an "x" model didn't exist? And then you find that you were scammed, and just let the guy go, with no report to the police of the forged vehicle-related documents, which could have been a strong indication that the car was stolen or had a rebuilt title? And you didn't check Blue Book value in preparation for negotiations, which obviously would have told you that the "x" didn't exist?

Sorry to call you out in such a public manner, and I'm sure you're a nice regular fella that seems to have a good head on your shoulders, but that's one of the most convoluted lie cover-ups I've ever heard. It's painfully obvious you've never owned a 528i, "x" or otherwise.

Raza

Actually, the "i" was separated from the numbers.  So, it's possible.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

And my insurance company insists I have DRLs, for example. I'm like, "nope, I really don't" and they're like "we're telling you you do". (kidding there) So these aren't exactly the most well-kept of documents anyhow.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ro51092

Quote from: GoCougs on November 28, 2006, 08:30:56 PM

Model is hard-coded to the VIN when it is assigned to the vehicle. It is then of course transferred to the title and registration. Anyone with the capability to forge these document(s) I think would be onto much, much better paying scams. The flaw with this scam of course is that the bank would not have a Blue Book value indicating the slightly higher value since the model didn't exist. The bank or lending institution would have likely caught the forged document(s) anyway, and would not have loaned on it. The insurance company too would have noted that the model simply didn't exist, and if the model does not exist they cannot insure it.

Wasn't the hack job on the badge obvious to an eight year old? It's all one contiguous piece, correct? And you didn't have such an expensive, complicated used car checked out by a mechanic prior to purchase, who would have obviously noted that an "x" model didn't exist? And then you find that you were scammed, and just let the guy go, with no report to the police of the forged vehicle-related documents, which could have been a strong indication that the car was stolen or had a rebuilt title? And you didn't check Blue Book value in preparation for negotiations, which obviously would have told you that the "x" didn't exist?

Sorry to call you out in such a public manner, and I'm sure you're a nice regular fella that seems to have a good head on your shoulders, but that's one of the most convoluted lie cover-ups I've ever heard. It's painfully obvious you've never owned a 528i, "x" or otherwise.

Are you calling him a poser? I HIGHLY doubt that he is a poser.

J86

Quote from: GoCougs on November 28, 2006, 08:30:56 PM

Damn dude, you're on a crusade!  First the Fairlane, now the BMW...

ro51092

The Pirate

Yeah, when I registered my car, there was a problem with the VIN too.  The insurance company and bank both reported it had an automatic transmission, but it is a 5 speed.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

Quote from: mazda6er on November 28, 2006, 08:40:42 PM
And my insurance company insists I have DRLs, for example. I'm like, "nope, I really don't" and they're like "we're telling you you do". (kidding there) So these aren't exactly the most well-kept of documents anyhow.

I wouldn't protest too hard, you get a discount for DRLs.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

mazda6er

Quote from: The Pirate on November 28, 2006, 08:46:30 PM

I wouldn't protest too hard, you get a discount for DRLs.
Yeah, and I need it too. :lol:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza on November 28, 2006, 08:38:05 PM
Actually, the "i" was separated from the numbers.? So, it's possible.

Oh boy are you being kind to the situation.

GoCougs

Quote from: J86 on November 28, 2006, 08:43:03 PM
Damn dude, you're on a crusade!? First the Fairlane, now the BMW...

Sander seems to have invested a lot in this community, so perhaps both "transgressons" would have been better addressed by sending a PM.

Nonetheless, stories of a 182mph '68 Fairlane and this "phantom" 528xi were simply too egregious to let pass.

I just hope that he learns that you don't have to lie to make/keep relationships; Internets-based or otherwise.

mazda6er

Quote from: GoCougs on November 28, 2006, 09:01:24 PM
Sander seems to have invested a lot in this community, so perhaps both "transgressons" would have been better addressed by sending a PM.

Nonetheless, stories of a 182mph '68 Fairlane and this "phantom" 528xi were simply too egregious to let pass.

I just hope that he learns that you don't have to lie to make/keep relationships; Internets-based or otherwise.
Well, we don't know they're false. And his wife loves the cubic zirconia, so who are we to judge?  ;)

And as long as we're giving out advice, one of the (begrudgingly many) good things my parents have taught me over the years: if someone says the grass is blue, toss 'em a nod and be on your way.  :ohyeah:
--Mark

J86

Quote from: GoCougs on November 28, 2006, 09:01:24 PM

Aw hell, I'm inclined to believe the dude, because he seems pretty stand up, but even IF it's not true, I'd say mazda6er has it right

GoCougs

Quote from: J86 on November 28, 2006, 09:12:51 PM
Aw hell, I'm inclined to believe the dude, because he seems pretty stand up, but even IF it's not true, I'd say mazda6er has it right

Why would you let people you know lie to you without challenge (if you can consider Carspin affiliation "knowing")?

You lie and I'll call you on it every single time; family, co-worker, boss, friend, or acquaintance on the Internets. I'm sorry, but these two were simply way over the top to give any quarter.

I hope that this thread can realign itself. Thusly, this will be my last post on the subject.

mazda6er

Quote from: GoCougs on November 28, 2006, 09:29:11 PM
Why would you let people you know lie to you without challenge (if you can consider Carspin affiliation "knowing")?

You lie and I'll call you on it every single time; family, co-worker, boss, friend, or acquaintance on the Internets. I'm sorry, but these two were simply way over the top to give any quarter.

I hope that this thread can realign itself. Thusly, this will be my last post on the subject.
Well, if it's something trivial, such as this, no harm done if they fib, right? So unless it's my (hypothetical) kid, I try to let stuff like that go. Everyone's better off that way.

Right, realign the thread...so anyone else notice the Bimmer is fender-fucking the Porsche in that last pic? Get a room guys! And there are those bastards watching!

I tried.  :huh:
--Mark