Just ordered a Freestyle

Started by SVT666, December 01, 2006, 11:49:57 AM

SaltyDog

This is probably my top suggestion for my mom.  Hopefully they stuff the new 3.5 in it...

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Atomic

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 01, 2006, 03:07:02 PM
.....but I do agree that the Freestyle is largely ignored by the automotive media. :(

fmc is partly to blame! in fact, they almost discontinued this model. remember? in my opinion, poor marketing was to blame. it is an underrated vehicle worthy of a comeback here in the u.s., just like in canada.

you selected a great crossover, dude  :ohyeah:!

i, too, cannot wait for your review!

SVT666

Quote from: gasoline on December 01, 2006, 04:27:12 PM

$275 with free shipping.
Don't delay... :ohyeah:
I've got one thanks.  Right around the time we get the car I will have just gone under the knife to reattach a ligament in my foot, so I may be a little preoccupied when we get the car, so forgive me if the review isn't written up right away.  ;)

Atomic

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 01, 2006, 06:00:33 PM
I've got one thanks.? Right around the time we get the car I will have just gone under the knife to reattach a ligament in my foot, so I may be a little preoccupied when we get the car, so forgive me if the review isn't written up right away.? ;)

ouch  :confused:! i wish you a speedy recovery, man. relax and enjoy the wheels  :praise:!

SVT666

Yeah man, it's painful.  I was thinking about it.  Writing about the car might be the only thing I can do for a while, so you guys may get a pretty in-depth review from me.

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 01, 2006, 02:17:29 PM
They are flying off the lots in Canada.  Their sales have gone through the roof because people are moving from the Explorer to the Freestyle.  It all started when gas prices spiked earlier in the year.

We need to move from the Explorer to something else :banghead:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 01, 2006, 11:11:07 PM
Yeah man, it's painful.  I was thinking about it.  Writing about the car might be the only thing I can do for a while, so you guys may get a pretty in-depth review from me.

We'll be waiting ;)
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

sparkplug

We like the FWD version so the AWD version will hopefully be pretty good for you. I mean a 3.0L V6 ought to get better gas mileage than the explorer with its 4.0L V6 and 4900lbs curb weight.

SVT_Power

Quote from: sparkplug on December 02, 2006, 06:12:54 PM
We like the FWD version so the AWD version will hopefully be pretty good for you. I mean a 3.0L V6 ought to get better gas mileage than the explorer with its 4.0L V6 and 4900lbs curb weight.

More along the lines of 4300 lbs actually

SVT666

Did you guys know that there is actually a Freestyle Enthusiast website/forum?  I didn't know there were any Freestyle Enthusiasts.  Maybe I'll become one too, but I just can't see getting as excited about a Freestyle as I could about a Mustang.

FoMoJo

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 01, 2006, 01:33:43 PM
I told my wife that I'm going to supercharge it, and she just rolled her eyes and said, "oh fuck, here we go".? :lol:
Maybe you can stuff one of these into it...
V-6
2968.00 cc | 181.1 cu in. | 3 L.
352.00 BHP (259.1 KW) @ 6200.00 RPM
350.00 Ft-Lbs (474.6 NM) @ 3500.00 RPM
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SVT666

I was thinking about rigging up a ProCharger for it  :lol:

saxonyron

Congrats on a great choice.  My business manager bought one this spring, liked it so much she traded her Windstar for one too. Now they've got "his and hers" Freestyles.  I've checked out the interior and it looks real nice - seating combinations and flexibility, plus the interior seems pretty well done.  If I didn't need to tow, I'd trade in the Expediter for one in a heartbeat. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

TheIntrepid

Quote from: saxonyron on December 05, 2006, 12:24:26 AM
Congrats on a great choice. My business manager bought one this spring, liked it so much she traded her Windstar for one too. Now they've got "his and hers" Freestyles. I've checked out the interior and it looks real nice - seating combinations and flexibility, plus the interior seems pretty well done. If I didn't need to tow, I'd trade in the Expediter for one in a heartbeat.

Not flaming your choice, I love the Exp, but simply wondering what made you get one over ... say... a GMT900 Yukon ?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Catman

Quote from: touareg208 on December 05, 2006, 06:45:21 AM
Not flaming your choice, I love the Exp, but simply wondering what made you get one over ... say... a GMT900 Yukon ?

I think it had to do with the screaming price he got which included a 100K warranty.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Catman on December 05, 2006, 06:58:13 AM
I think it had to do with the screaming price he got which included a 100K warranty.

For some reason I recall thinking if he went with a new (GMT900) Yukon (comparably equipped) he would have spent close to double what he did on his Ford. I don't remember the numbers though.

SVT666

Besides the Expedition has beat the GMT-900 Yukon in every comparison test so far...and is significantly less money.

saxonyron

The GMT900 is only available new - I'm a cheap bastard and this is the 3rd Expedition I've bought used.  A 2yr old 97, 1 yr old '02, and a 1 yr old '06.  The deal was crazy good - $26k for the beast plus a 100k mil Ford ESP warranty - not bumper to bumper, but the next level down. The sticker was $43k, which is actually within a few grand of what the comparably equipped GMC would go for.  Also, the Fords tend to depreciate a lot more than the GMC's for better or worse.   I bought this in June when gas was well over $3/gal, and no one was looking at big SUV's.  Opportunity knocked! 

I'm also in a Ford rut - I'm a repeat customer of FoMoCo Credit, so they give me real nice rates and deals.  This '06 is probably the 15th Ford truck (Expeditions plus E-150's and F-150's) I've bought in the past 10 years - not exactly a huge customer, but enough where they like to keep us coming back for more.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

saxonyron

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 05, 2006, 08:10:40 AM
Besides the Expedition has beat the GMT-900 Yukon in every comparison test so far...and is significantly less money.

Hmmmmm....I haven't seen any of these comparos - I think I'll investigate so I can feel even better about my deal.  :ohyeah:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

SVT666

Quote from: saxonyron on December 05, 2006, 10:19:30 AM
Hmmmmm....I haven't seen any of these comparos - I think I'll investigate so I can feel even better about my deal.? :ohyeah:
Between the regular Espedition and the Expedition EL they have won all 4 comparos I have read between it and the GMT-900 Yukon and Suburban.

gasoline

Quote from: touareg208 on December 05, 2006, 06:45:21 AM
I have not ridden in any GMT900s, but the Freestyle is a very, very nice car. It is very competent. And in a world of less anti-domestic sentiment, it would be a smash hit. It's that good.

I don't think "blandness" is a good enough excuse for its failure. It's pretty as it is.
-----------------------------------

TBR

Sax, not to burst your bubble or anything, but it is the new 3rd gen Expedition that is doing real well in comparos, not the 2nd generation like yours.

SVT666

Quote from: gasoline on December 05, 2006, 11:51:43 AM
I have not ridden in any GMT900s, but the Freestyle is a very, very nice car. It is very competent. And in a world of less anti-domestic sentiment, it would be a smash hit. It's that good.

I don't think "blandness" is a good enough excuse for its failure. It's pretty as it is.
I agree 100%.  It is proving to be extremely popular in Canada.  Like I said in an earlier post, they are flying off the lots.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: TBR on December 05, 2006, 12:05:32 PM
Sax, not to burst your bubble or anything, but it is the new 3rd gen Expedition that is doing real well in comparos, not the 2nd generation like yours.

TBR must you ALWAYS be the pessmist? The new "3rd gen" is only a "2.5 gen" in reality as the fundamentals of the truck are the same, including the 5.4 Triton engine. The only real difference is the EL version and a few cosmetic changes ;) Ron's truck is still cool :cheers:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

saxonyron

Quote from: touareg208 on December 05, 2006, 12:24:45 PM
TBR must you ALWAYS be the pessmist? The new "3rd gen" is only a "2.5 gen" in reality as the fundamentals of the truck are the same, including the 5.4 Triton engine. The only real difference is the EL version and a few cosmetic changes ;) Ron's truck is still cool :cheers:

:ohyeah: Thanks!  A non-EL version's major difference seems to be a few minor changes to the rear suspension and the more major interior facelift.   Either way, I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

TBR

Quote from: touareg208 on December 05, 2006, 12:24:45 PM

New transmission, new frame, and new rear suspension don't count for anything?

And, his truck is still cool and when he bought the Expedition was my choice (as it is now).

ifcar

Redesigned suspension, new transmission, new dash, restyling, and I believe at least some new seats. New, that Expedition wasn't winning many (if any) comparisons, but they weren't looking at a loaded truck for $26,000 either.

saxonyron

So this is a 3rd generation after all.? I thought it was a more minor freshening since Generation II has only been around from '03 to '06.? Seems short for a Ford product cycle.? They haven't been all that cutting edge in recent years!

Either way, why does TBR hate Saxonyron's Gen II Expediter??    :huh:

:lol:   :cheers:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           

-- Ronald Reagan

ifcar

It's still a freshening, but a fairly significant one. Akin to Windstar to Freestar or 99 to 00 Taurus/Sable.

TBR

I would call it a full redesign myself. Very little is the same compared to the 2003-2006 models.