Just ordered a Freestyle

Started by SVT666, December 01, 2006, 11:49:57 AM

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on December 05, 2006, 04:20:01 PM
I would call it a full redesign myself. Very little is the same compared to the 2003-2006 models.

Platform, engine, exterior?

TBR

Platform is different (hydroformed now) and the only shared body panels are the roof (same since the original 1998 Expedition actually) and doors IIRC. Additionally, the engine is carried over, but that was also the case for the 2003 model.

ifcar

The body seems to be almost entirely shared besides the new front clip.

Platform is modified, but not new.

TBR

Oh crap, I thought they had changed the back more (though the rear bumper is definitely new).

"It?s not just what you can see that Ford has upgraded. The 2007 Ford Expedition?s chassis features an all-new front suspension and tube-through-tube construction to stiffen the frame for improved driving dynamics. The Expedition also offers an all-new independent rear suspension that competitors don?t provide, and which allows for roomier, fold-flat third-row seating. The Expedition?s brakes have also been beefed up. Larger and thicker rotors and calipers reside at each corner to reduce stopping distance as well as quell vibration during stops."
http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/1077

" The 2007 Expedition is even stronger and tougher than its predecessor, beginning with an all-new chassis. Engineered to F-Series tough truck durability standards, Expedition?s chassis uses revised front geometry and increased box section thickness to provide a 10 percent improvement in torsional rigidity and bending stiffness over the previous model?s stout frame. This provides a solid foundation to deliver superior driving dynamics."
http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=125

So let's see:
New Chassis
New Front Suspension
New Rear Suspension
New Interior
New Transmission

So the only things that aren't completely new are the engine and the body, neither of which were all new for the 2003 model either (granted, the differences between the bodies of the new and outgoing models were certainly much more extensive that go around).

ifcar

I think the only bumper change was the plastic piece below the taillight. And it keeps switching between "all new" and "revised" when talking about the changes, and I'm more inclined to believe the latter. Especially considering that the body is the same.

-Same body, minus a facelifted front end
-Same engine
-Same interior, minus the dash and (IIRC) the front seats
-(Probably) same basic platform, albeit revised in areas

Again, seems similar to the 1992 Taurus, 2000 Taurus, 2004 Freestar, 2008 Focus, and 2008 Escape.

TBR

The side panels on the interior are the same?

ifcar

I had thought they kept the shape and changed the materials. I'll look.

But the basics of the interior are almost certainly the same. Seat placement / packaging, HVAC, etc.

TBR

Why change what works? The Expedition had best in class packaging imho. The side trim is all that ever felt cheap to me, so hopefully the material change helped.

SVT_Power

I saw a new Expedition for the first time yesterday. The thing is huge. Looks much bigger than before the update. Completely dwarfed my car :(
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TBR

Was it an EL? I've seen one EL, that's it.

SVT_Power

I dont think so. It wasn't so much the length, but the height of the damn thing.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ifcar

Quote from: TBR on December 05, 2006, 07:54:42 PM
Why change what works? The Expedition had best in class packaging imho. The side trim is all that ever felt cheap to me, so hopefully the material change helped.

Which is why I wouldn't jump on calling it a full redesign. That's not a criticism, but they just didn't change all that much. Here are the interiors, for comparison:

saxonyron

Here's my interior - definitely a freshening/facelift - not a whole new platform, at least in the strict automotive sense. Not to say the new one isn't improved, but the differences between my Gen I and Gen II were night and day - a completely different vehicle.  This isn't as extreme.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

heelntoe

looks like they moved the shifter from the column to the center console.
@heelntoe

FoMoJo

I've never been in the market for an Expedition, but that's a damn smart looking dash!

I love the chrome bezels.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

I'm down in Dallas for the weekend (got down yesterday afternoon actually), and I got a Freestyle SEL as a rental. I love this truck. Tons room, nice interior, and it drives so well despite its size. Everyone that's been in it has commented how nice it is. Having it as a rental reminded me what a good decision you made. Congrats again!

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 08, 2006, 12:24:45 PM
I'm down in Dallas for the weekend (got down yesterday afternoon actually), and I got a Freestyle SEL as a rental. I love this truck. Tons room, nice interior, and it drives so well despite its size. Everyone that's been in it has commented how nice it is. Having it as a rental reminded me what a good decision you made. Congrats again!
Thanks man.  It's good to hear from people who either rent them or have them.  We've only driven it once and that was 2 months ago, so I sometimes need reminding that we made the right choice.  Especially since we aren't getting it for another 6 - 8 weeks.

BTW, I would hardly call it a truck....especially considering it's a Volvo station wagon underneath.

JWC

Quote from: TBR on December 05, 2006, 08:50:56 PM
Was it an EL? I've seen one EL, that's it.

Extended length....extra long...I've heard both from a Ford Rep.

A cap has been welded to the tailend to give it extra cargo capacity.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 06, 2006, 08:04:33 AM
I've never been in the market for an Expedition, but that's a damn smart looking dash!

Good exercise reaching for the radio.  looks like a good distance.  :devil:
Will

Catman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 08, 2006, 12:24:45 PM

It really is a great design.  And, to be honest, I think people are figuring it out as I've seen a lot of them lately.  It's a fantastic alternative to an Explorer, etc.  I'd like to hear your opinion on the interior quality.  While not a VW would you agree that Ford did a really nice job?  I think it's put together very nice.

TBR

Quote from: JWC on December 09, 2006, 11:24:33 AM
Extended length....extra long...I've heard both from a Ford Rep.

A cap has been welded to the tailend to give it extra cargo capacity.

Read the question again ;)

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on December 09, 2006, 12:22:57 PM
It really is a great design.? And, to be honest, I think people are figuring it out as I've seen a lot of them lately.? It's a fantastic alternative to an Explorer, etc.? I'd like to hear your opinion on the interior quality.? While not a VW would you agree that Ford did a really nice job?? I think it's put together very nice.
IMHO, I believe the new Ford interiors (the Freestyle in particular) rival anyone's. 

SJ_GTI

I like the interior. Its nice looking and seems well-put together. There aren't many soft0touch plastics, but i think that is common for the class.

If I knew someone looking for something in this class this is probably the first thing I would reccomend.

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 09, 2006, 09:38:54 PM
I like the interior. Its nice looking and seems well-put together. There aren't many soft0touch plastics, but i think that is common for the class.

If I knew someone looking for something in this class this is probably the first thing I would reccomend.
The dash of my truck is all textured hard plastic, but I didn't even know until I had my truck for over a year.  I guess I just don't go around stroking interiors. 

SVT666

We got our delivery date for the Freestyle:  January 22.  Now I have to sell my wife's Alero.

TheIntrepid

You know Hemi for the longest time I thought you may have been the guy who lives across the street from me. He drives a black Ram 1500 Hemi and a green Alero. Of course he also has a '67 Stingray in the garage.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 02, 2007, 08:49:16 AM
You know Hemi for the longest time I thought you may have been the guy who lives across the street from me. He drives a black Ram 1500 Hemi and a green Alero. Of course he also has a '67 Stingray in the garage.
I wish I had a '67 Stingray.  My wife's Alero is silver though. 

Atomic

fmc just announced on 01-02-07, that it has stopped production of the freestar minivan. rumor has it that the freestyle will be discontinued in 2007, as well. the all new ford edge is said to replace both models. good idea? the edge does seem to have all of the best attributes of both vehicles, eh?!

MX793

Unless they plan on adding a 3rd row to the Edge, it certainly would not adequately cover the gap left by the loss of the Freestar and Freestyle.  Ford needs a more carlike vehicle with 3rd row seating in their line.

And where did you hear that the Freestyle was getting discontinued?  Last I heard, it was getting a facelift and a new engine for the '08 model.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Atomic

Quote from: MX793 on January 02, 2007, 05:24:54 PM
Unless they plan on adding a 3rd row to the Edge, it certainly would not adequately cover the gap left by the loss of the Freestar and Freestyle.? Ford needs a more carlike vehicle with 3rd row seating in their line.

And where did you hear that the Freestyle was getting discontinued?? Last I heard, it was getting a facelift and a new engine for the '08 model.

friends from fmc gave me the heads up. you make a very good point, though. hope you are right about plans for a 2008 model  :lol:!