Tuner Mustangs

Started by Nethead, December 04, 2006, 10:05:57 AM

Nethead

An engine that might be potent enough for HEMI666's Mustang, once he figures out how to get 02 M Special to part with it:

Hennessey Puts Twin-Turbos on Your Ford GT:

Hennessey Performance seems to have a knack for producing modified supercars that are as intoxicating as its namesake Cognac. Hennessey specializes in top-level American muscle, having earned its street cred by strapping twin turbochargers to the Dodge Viper to crank power up to 1000 horsepower. Now Hennessey has turned its attention over to the Viper's main rival in the battle for American supercar dominance: the Ford GT.

The Ford GT was, of course, created as rolling homage to the Le Mans-winning GT40 of yore, and the modern retro-mobile lives up to the legend by challenging Ferraris just as it did in the sixties. But cavallino-trouncing performance just wasn't enough to John Hennessey and his crew, so they went to work. Two Garret turbochargers, an intercooler, a new exhaust system, a custom intake manifold, a revised engine management system and a whole slew of other modifications later, the Hennessey Ford GT Twin Turbo puts out Koenigsegg-like levels of power: 850 horsepower and a matching 850 lb-ft of torque. That's enough to propel the throwback sportscar to sixty in a claimed 2.6 seconds, covering the quarter-mile in 10.6 seconds on its way to a very Veyron-like top speed of 240 mph.

The price, of course, is not specified, but for that kind of performance, if you have to ask... But for a customer bent on American domination of even the performance supercar world, price is no object.
So many stairs...so little time...

SVT666

:rockon: I can't wait to see a road test of this beast.  Ford needs to follow up with something else.....like the GR-1 maybe?  Too bad they killed that before it even started.

omicron

For me, a Mustang is more desirable than the GR-1.

Nethead

Quote from: omicron on January 19, 2007, 10:50:48 PM
For me, a Mustang is more desirable than the GR-1.
omicron: OmiDude, the Nethead here agrees!? I dug that Cobra roadster concept and it's 605 HP V10, but the coupe is a little too swoopy--it's not hard to tell that the GR-1 was developed from the designer's first draft of a Cobra fastback (I guess he was trying to update the Cobra Daytona coupe to a style he thought would represent what the coupe would/should look like four decades later.? DCX did a better job with the original Viper coupe.).? Gimme the standard Mustang GT or the Giugiaro Mustang and I'll be content!

BTW, didja read that a Cobra 427 that was once the personal Cobra 427 of Ol' Shel' hisself sold at a record for a single vehicle sale of $5,000,000.00 at Barrett Jackson last week?? Ya also gotta pay BJ their ten percent, resulting in a check for $5,500,000.00...That's three Veyrons with huge change!?
Dudes with just too many bucks!? Shit.? 'Wish I was one!

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 22, 2007, 10:57:16 AM
BTW, didja read that a Cobra 427 that was once the personal Cobra 427 of Ol' Shel' hisself sold at a record for a single vehicle sale of $5,000,000.00 at Barrett Jackson last week?? That's three Veyrons with huge change!?
Dudes with just too many bucks!? Shit.? 'Wish I was one!
Those rich assholes are ruining it for the rest of us.  I can't afford a 40 year old Mustang because of those guys.

Nethead

2008 Bullitt Mustang Engine News
By Lane, Robert
Published: January 21, 2007

(DEARBORN, MI) StangsUnleashed.com - In December 2005, StangsUnleashed published a story citing sources from Ford's Romeo engine plant that Ford was testing 4.6L DOHC engines in Shelby GT500 prototypes. By mid-summer 2006, we reported that the 4.6L DOHC engines were actually being developed for an upcoming Bullitt or Mach1 Mustang. What we have not provided up until now, however, are some preliminary engine specifications. According to a reliable source, here are the preliminary 2008 Mustang Bullitt's engine specifications - remember that these are subject to change:

2008.5 Bullitt Mustang Preliminary Data:
? 4.6L DOHC, 400 horsepower naturally aspirated engine.
? Aluminum block with wet sump oiling system.
? Steel crankshaft.
? Ford GT type cylinder heads.
? Ford GT valve covers with special oil fill adapter on the right valve cover.
? Special exhaust manifolds.
? Special intake manifold with the plenum and throttle body located on the back of the intake, much like the original Bullitt.

Spy photo of a 4.6L Bullitt DOHC engine. Components bear 2008 casting numbers.

According to reliable sources here in Dearborn, there's more to the 2008 Bullitt Mustang's recipe than just a 400 horsepower engine though. Ford is said to be putting resources into the Bullitt for the specific purpose of creating a road-racing Mustang, which will be positioned between the Mustang GT and the Shelby GT500. When the Bullitt debuts, it is likely to feature numerous performance enhancements. For starters, the next-generation Bullitt will feature a standard brake upgrade package that is being developed with road racing in mind. Moreover, the Bullitt will also come with a handling package, which is being developed by Ford Racing.

More to the 2008.5 Bullitt?
Picture this: A Mustang with a 4.6L DOHC engine along with a road racing suspension, a six speed manual transmission and awesome brakes. Yes, we're still talking about the 2008.5 Bullitt, but think of what would happen if Shelby were to get a hold of it? It's already been speculated that Ford will ship semi-finished Mustangs (Bullitts to be precise) to Las Vegas, where Shelby will message them over and transform them into full-fledged road racing

The time, date and place for the Bullitt Mustang's introduction have been set.

The above is from www.stangsunleashed.com, and it has a few accompanying pics.

SVT666

GoCougs

Quote from: Nethead on January 22, 2007, 12:52:15 PM
? Steel crankshaft.
? Special intake manifold with the plenum and throttle body located on the back of the intake, much like the original Bullitt.

'Bought time Ford got with the power program. They've let their Modular stuff languish for far too long IMO.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Nethead on January 22, 2007, 12:52:15 PM
2008 Bullitt Mustang Engine News
By Lane, Robert
Published: January 21, 2007

(DEARBORN, MI) StangsUnleashed.com - In December 2005, StangsUnleashed published a story citing sources from Ford's Romeo engine plant that Ford was testing 4.6L DOHC engines in Shelby GT500 prototypes. By mid-summer 2006, we reported that the 4.6L DOHC engines were actually being developed for an upcoming Bullitt or Mach1 Mustang. What we have not provided up until now, however, are some preliminary engine specifications. According to a reliable source, here are the preliminary 2008 Mustang Bullitt's engine specifications - remember that these are subject to change:

? Steel crankshaft.

Spy photo of a 4.6L Bullitt DOHC engine. Components bear 2008 casting numbers.

According to reliable sources here in Dearborn, there's more to the 2008 Bullitt Mustang's recipe than just a 400 horsepower engine though. Ford is said to be putting resources into the Bullitt for the specific purpose of creating a road-racing Mustang, which will be positioned between the Mustang GT and the Shelby GT500. When the Bullitt debuts, it is likely to feature numerous performance enhancements. For starters, the next-generation Bullitt will feature a standard brake upgrade package that is being developed with road racing in mind. Moreover, the Bullitt will also come with a handling package, which is being developed by Ford Racing.

More to the 2008.5 Bullitt?
Picture this: A Mustang with a 4.6L DOHC engine along with a road racing suspension, a six speed manual transmission and awesome brakes. Yes, we're still talking about the 2008.5 Bullitt, but think of what would happen if Shelby were to get a hold of it? It's already been speculated that Ford will ship semi-finished Mustangs (Bullitts to be precise) to Las Vegas, where Shelby will message them over and transform them into full-fledged road racing

The time, date and place for the Bullitt Mustang's introduction have been set.

The above is from www.stangsunleashed.com, and it has a few accompanying pics.

I pretty much plan on buying one of these and I would be incredibly happy if this proves true, but..... I am not holding my breath.  I will be happy with better brakes, suspension, and a modest HP boost.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

omicron

I tell you, now is the time for me to buy myself a mint '65 hardtop.

Of course, there's that unfortunate monetary issue.

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 22, 2007, 10:58:11 PM
I pretty much plan on buying one of these and I would be incredibly happy if this proves true, but..... I am not holding my breath.? I will be happy with better brakes, suspension, and a modest HP boost.
There haven't been too many Mustang rumours that haven't been right lately.

Nethead

GoCougs:  "'Bought time Ford got with the power program. They've let their Modular stuff languish for far too long IMO."
CougDude, I hear ya!  When it's somethin' you like, you just can't get enough--such as pussy and Mustangs!
But the Nethead here wouldn't say the modular program has languished--after all, the modular program has brought you multivalve OHC V8s in cars, trucks, supercars, SUVs, and a number of foreign and domestic sportscars.  Of all the competing domestic brands, only Cadillac offers a multi-valve gasoline OHC V8--but you can get two versions of multi-valve OHC gasoline V8s in affordable Mustangs, one with more horsepower than has ever been offered in any production Cadillac.  And then there's the 3-valve modular V10, which is just waiting for some enterprising company to start cranking out tuner versions of Mustangs and F150s with that fine engine dropped into the engine compartment.  All modulars have fuel-injection, and the DOHCs have dual injectors, intercoolers, and superchargers for the street--what other domestic manufacturer offers that?  Where else ya gonna find 500 HP at $40,930?  There ain't that many places to find 500 HP at any price...

SVT666

...or a 300hp sports coupe that can run the 1/4 mile in the low 13 seconds for $26,440?

Nethead

LonghornTX: LongDude, these proposed mods don't require creation of any new parts except possibly that manifold with the plenum and the throttle body near the rear of the engine.? It mystifies the Nethead here as to why Ford insists on keeping this engine at 4.6 liters--if in fact that's what they do by the time the Bullitt hits the dealerships.? A car with the machismo of the Bullitt really calls for the 5.4, IMHO (McQueen's had a 390, remember).? Is there legislation looming that will punish purchasers of vehicles with engines larger than 4.6 liters or so????? If there is, offering the 3-valve or 4-valve at 4.6 liters makes some kinda sense--albeit in a strictly Congressional sort of way...
Now, someone in this thread or another Mustang thread said the Bullitt would come in at 3120 pounds--the stripped to the bare sheetmetal FR500C weighs in at 3050 pounds (penalty mufflers may have raised that to 3100 pounds) before the Grand American Cup Series requires bolting in enough lead plates to the passenger-side floorboard to raise the dry weight to 3300 pounds.? The FR500C has (a) no interior upholstery except whatever padding is on the single Sparco competition seat, (b) no side window glass, (c) cut-out inner doors with no window-winding mechanisms, (c) no insulation or sound deadener, (d) nothing inside the dash panel except the wiring to the electronic ignition and the electronic instrumentation--not even tubes to connect the dash vent bezels to outside air, (e) no carpeting, no mats, no rear seat, no air-conditioning, no airbags, no radio/antenna/CD/speakers, no turn signals, (f) the engine has no emissions equipment, (g) the differential housing has an aluminum cover, and (h) the wheels are really lightweight Fikse racing wheels ($4,000 for the set) and there is no spare.? Admittedly, the roadracing rollcage and the bladdered fuel cell will add weight that a streetcar wouldn't likely have.? There ain't no way in Hell a Bullitt will come in at 3120 pounds unless the drivetrain is sold separately!!!? If Shelby builds a roadracing version of the Bullitt ($$$), then you might see something much closer to 3120 pounds...

AND....."I pretty much plan on buying one of these and I would be incredibly happy if this proves true, but..... I am not holding my breath.? I will be happy with better brakes, suspension, and a modest HP boost."?
Long, you could pick up a nice '05 or '06 5-speed manual and for another $5 pick up the FRPP catalog--in which you can order better brakes, better suspension parts, and mild to moderate HP boosters.? Some assembly required, but some of these mods (a cold-air intake, for example) can be done underneath the proverbial shadetree with a coupla cold Negra Modelos and a winsome lass with a comely ass to hold the instruction sheet while you look up her skirt--I mean, while you tighten the hose clamps.? Lowering springs and some low profile 295s and you're ready to rip!? Get the babe a second job and she'll soon have enough for a Vortech or a ProCharger, although that may mean you'll have to pop for a diamond before the end of the year so choose your winsome lass with a comely ass carefully...

Nethead

"...or a 300hp sports coupe that can run the 1/4 mile in the low 13 seconds for $26,440?"

Correctomundo!

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 23, 2007, 07:53:18 AM
LonghornTX: LongDude, these proposed mods don't require creation of any new parts except possibly that manifold with the plenum and the throttle body near the rear of the engine.? It mystifies the Nethead here as to why Ford insists on keeping this engine at 4.6 liters--if in fact that's what they do by the time the Bullitt hits the dealerships.? A car with the machismo of the Bullitt really calls for the 5.4, IMHO.? Is there legislation looming that will punish purchasers of vehicle with engines larger than 4.6 liters or so????? If there is, offering the 3-valve or 4-valve at 4.6 liters makes some kinda sense--albeit in a strictly Congressional sort of way...
Now, someone in this thread or another Mustang thread said the Bullitt would come in at 3120 pounds--the stripped to the bare sheetmetal FR500C weighs in at 3050 pounds (penalty mufflers may have raised that to 3100 pounds) before the Grand American Cup Series requires bolting in enough lead plates to the passenger-side floorboard to raise the dry weight to 3300 pounds.? The FR500C has (a) no interior upholstery except whatever padding is on the single Sparco competition seat, (b) no side window glass, (c) cut-out inner doors with no window-winding mechanisms, (c) no insulation or sound deadener, (d) nothing inside the dash panel except the wiring to the electronic ignition and the electronic instrumentation--not even tubes to connect the dash vent bezels to outside air, (e) no carpeting, no mats, no rear seat, no air-conditioning, possibly no power brakes, no airbags, no radio/antenna/CD/speakers, no turn signals, (f) the engine has no emissions equipment, (g) the differential housing has an aluminum cover, and (h) the wheels are really lightweight Fikse racing wheels ($4,000 for the set) and there is no spare.? Admittedly, the roadracing rollcage and the bladdered fuel cell will add weight that a streetcar wouldn't likely have.? There ain't no way in Hell a Bullitt will come in at 3120 pounds unless the drivetrain is sold separately!!!? If Shelby builds a roadracing version of the Bullitt ($$$), then you might see something much closer to 3120 pounds...
I know guys racing their Mustangs at the dragstrip and they weigh in at under 2900 lbs.  I think it's possible, but I really don't see it being less then 3200 lbs.  What's the point in going to 5.4L if the 4.6L will give you 400 hp?  Leave a 4 valve 5.4L making 450 hp for the Boss.

AND....."I pretty much plan on buying one of these and I would be incredibly happy if this proves true, but..... I am not holding my breath.? I will be happy with better brakes, suspension, and a modest HP boost."?
Long, you could pick up a nice '05 or '06 5-speed manual and for another $5 pick up the FRPP catalog--in which you can order better brakes, better suspension parts, and mild to moderate HP boosters.? Some assembly required, but some of these mods (a cold-air intake, for example) can be done underneath the proverbial shadetree with a coupla cold Negra Modelos and a winsome lass with a comely ass to hold the instruction sheet while you look up her skirt--I mean, while you tighten the hose clamps.? Lowering springs and some low profile 295s and you're ready to rip!? Get the babe a second job and she'll soon have enough for a Vortech or a ProCharger, although that may mean you'll have to pop for a diamond before the end of the year so choose your winsome lass with a comely ass carefully...
Sometimes I can't read one of your posts without laughing out loud. This is one of those times.

I agree Nethead, which is why I will be buying a used 2005 Mustang GT in a couple years after the truck is paid off and then I will spring for the Blow-By Racing Stage 2 heads, stage 1 cams, WMS CAI, X-pipe, catback, lowering springs, shifter, clutch, etc. and get a 400hp monster that way and it will still be significantly cheaper then even a new V6.  Although the green paint and spoiler delete would be cool.

Nethead

omicron: "I tell you, now is the time for me to buy myself a mint '65 hardtop.  Of course, there's that unfortunate monetary issue."
OmiDude! '65 hardtops at reasonable prices can be found by diligent searching, unless you are located in a place where they bring a premium. :cry: The "2+2" (the true name of the early fastback Mustangs) in any kind of condition at all will cost you substantially, and cherry ones are over the top.  OTOH, you'll get more for the 2+2 than you will for the hardtop when you decide to sell it and get a GT500.  If you are after function and not value, then look for a 6-cylinder or for an 8-cylinder that does not have the original engine in it.  If you get a six, you can drive that while you save up for an eight :rockon: and the other items you want to add.  If you get an eight, the same applies, but you might want to improve the eight you have instead of buying some other eight.  The Nethead here once worked with a fella who had a '65, and he said he'd wanted to drop in an FE 427 but that it wouldn't fit between the fenderwells so he was thinking about dropping in a 390 from a T-Bird.  I've never done the measurements, but I think a 427 (possibly not the SOHC 427) would fit anywhere a 390 would fit.  Do the measurements, since I'm basing this guess on the fact that the 390 and 427 shouldn't be much different in dimensions.  Then, too, I worked with this fella on a summer job in 1967--it may have been an exhaust manifold fitment problem that the headers available today would solve niftily.  A 351 should fit readily, since that engine is basically a 289/302 with a taller deck height.
The 3-valve 4.6 probably fits easily, too, which would have the added advantage of an aluminum block!  However, these are very recent engines so they'll be at a premium at auto salvage centers.  Watch out for the auto salvage center Rottweiler, too!  The 'Cammer 5.0 has been dropped into '65s, but you should research that on Ford's website as there may have been some fenderwell/firewall mods required to fit it between the fenderwells.  429s/460s will almost certainly require mods to 'wells & 'walls... 

Nethead

"...a used 2005 Mustang GT in a couple years after the truck is paid off and then I will spring for the Blow-By Racing Stage 2 heads, stage 1 cams, WMS CAI, X-pipe, catback, lowering springs, shifter, clutch, etc. and get a 400hp monster that way and it will still be significantly cheaper then even a new V6."

I get hard just reading this sentence!? Don't forget dark charcoal window tint!

Addendum: Hemi, Bullitt green (technically "Dark Forest Green", was it?) may or may not look as good on an S197 as it did on McQueen's '68.? But I think it would clash with your tattoo that you'll duplicate on the flanks, or possibly in place of the "GT" emblems on the front fenders.

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 23, 2007, 01:41:53 PM
"...a used 2005 Mustang GT in a couple years after the truck is paid off and then I will spring for the Blow-By Racing Stage 2 heads, stage 1 cams, WMS CAI, X-pipe, catback, lowering springs, shifter, clutch, etc. and get a 400hp monster that way and it will still be significantly cheaper then even a new V6."

I get hard just reading this sentence!? Don't forget dark charcoal window tint!
I want the car in blue.? But if I can't find blue then I want mineral grey with white, silver, or black stripes.  :rockon:

QuoteAddendum: Hemi, Bullitt green (technically "Dark Forest Green", was it?) may or may not look as good on an S197 as it did on McQueen's '68.? But I think it would clash with your tattoo that you'll duplicate on the flanks, or possibly in place of the "GT" emblems on the front fenders.
Is that something I'm going to do?? I didn't know that. :ohyeah:

Nethead

HEMI666: Yeah, Hemi, you're in Calgary--the Nethead here has never been in Calgary, but I'm sure there are days (even weeks, perhaps) where it's too cold to ride with your arm out the window so the world can appreciate the tattoo.  Therefore, the only choice we have is to emblazon the tattoo on the Mustang's flanks, or else on the front fenders in place of the "GT" emblems.  It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it...   

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on January 24, 2007, 07:27:55 AM
HEMI666: Yeah, Hemi, you're in Calgary--the Nethead here has never been in Calgary, but I'm sure there are days (even weeks, perhaps) where it's too cold to ride with your arm out the window so the world can appreciate the tattoo.? Therefore, the only choice we have is to emblazon the tattoo on the Mustang's flanks, or else on the front fenders in place of the "GT" emblems.? It's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it...? ?
Nethead, I invite you to come to Calgary.  I'll take you to Western Motorsports and The Mustang Shop.  Banff and Lake Louise are nearby and if you come at the right time their is a Mustang cruise in the summer.  There is also the Spring Thaw at the football stadium where there are hundreds of hot rods, muscle cars, and customs.  There's a Mustang cruise that takes place from Calgary to a small community called Three Hills in the summer where they have a car show that lines all the streets in town.  It's really very cool.

Nethead

HEMI666: When you say "football" stadium, do you mean soccer or USA-type "football"?? The Nethead here loves soccer, and the moniker Nethead comes from days of yore when I was still quick enough and fast enough to play soccer reasonably well.? In fact, on the way home, the spouse and I are stopping by a soccer shop to pick up a Size 5 stitched.? Unfortunately, the Nethead here would only suffer at a Mustang rally--I've got around $27,000 saved up that I was gonna invest in my '66 Bronco daily driver, but then I quit my second job.? If I blew the wad on an S197 Mustang GT, I'd be (a) broke and (b) without funds for the lowered springs, 18" wheels, 295s, Brembos, Multimatic adjustables, window tint, and the Vortech.? After the Hemi here brings out his line of tuner Mustangs and Mustang aftermarket parts,?he can branch out into sports apparel--soccer balls, jerseys, shorts, socks, shinguards, cleats, jockstraps & cups with his tattoo emblazoned tastefully on each.? Bye-Bye Adidas, Nike, Puma, Xara, Yada Yada Yada!

SVT666

Football as in Canadian-type football (since American football is derived from Canadian football).  $27K would buy you a used 2005 Mustang GT and you could still afford all the aftermarket stuff you want.  How far away do you live from Calgary?

Nethead

General Correction:  Over in the new Bullitt thread, they say that the Bullitts were painted "Dark Highland Green"--not "Dark Forest Green" as the Nethead here erroneously speculated somewhere upstream in this thread.

Nethead

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 24, 2007, 07:59:21 AM
Football as in Canadian-type football (since American football is derived from Canadian football).? $27K would buy you a used 2005 Mustang GT and you could still afford all the aftermarket stuff you want.? How far away do you live from Calgary?
The Nethead here can't let myself by an '05--or any other year Mustang--at this time as we have three fine pavement vehicles and an off-road vehicle already.  Mileage is low on all of them, so the Nethead here can't really shop for an '05 for years yet. 
Calgary is so far away that you can't even get there from here!  And vice versa! 
And no, the Nethead here could NOT still afford all the aftermarket stuff I want--it always starts with a few affordable enhancements--but once you have them, you think about just how much more terrific it would be if you added just a few more.  And then you think about how you didn't quite add enough parts or services (like porting) to get the full benefits of the parts you've already added, so you need just a few more to correct that error.  After a few years, you've spent FR500C money--and if you ain't careful, you've spent FR500GT money...the Nethead here has been down that road.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Nethead on January 23, 2007, 07:53:18 AM
LonghornTX: LongDude, these proposed mods don't require creation of any new parts except possibly that manifold with the plenum and the throttle body near the rear of the engine.  It mystifies the Nethead here as to why Ford insists on keeping this engine at 4.6 liters--if in fact that's what they do by the time the Bullitt hits the dealerships.  A car with the machismo of the Bullitt really calls for the 5.4, IMHO.  Is there legislation looming that will punish purchasers of vehicles with engines larger than 4.6 liters or so????  If there is, offering the 3-valve or 4-valve at 4.6 liters makes some kinda sense--albeit in a strictly Congressional sort of way...
Now, someone in this thread or another Mustang thread said the Bullitt would come in at 3120 pounds--the stripped to the bare sheetmetal FR500C weighs in at 3050 pounds (penalty mufflers may have raised that to 3100 pounds) before the Grand American Cup Series requires bolting in enough lead plates to the passenger-side floorboard to raise the dry weight to 3300 pounds.  The FR500C has (a) no interior upholstery except whatever padding is on the single Sparco competition seat, (b) no side window glass, (c) cut-out inner doors with no window-winding mechanisms, (c) no insulation or sound deadener, (d) nothing inside the dash panel except the wiring to the electronic ignition and the electronic instrumentation--not even tubes to connect the dash vent bezels to outside air, (e) no carpeting, no mats, no rear seat, no air-conditioning, possibly no power brakes, no airbags, no radio/antenna/CD/speakers, no turn signals, (f) the engine has no emissions equipment, (g) the differential housing has an aluminum cover, and (h) the wheels are really lightweight Fikse racing wheels ($4,000 for the set) and there is no spare.  Admittedly, the roadracing rollcage and the bladdered fuel cell will add weight that a streetcar wouldn't likely have.  There ain't no way in Hell a Bullitt will come in at 3120 pounds unless the drivetrain is sold separately!!!  If Shelby builds a roadracing version of the Bullitt ($$$), then you might see something much closer to 3120 pounds...

AND....."I pretty much plan on buying one of these and I would be incredibly happy if this proves true, but..... I am not holding my breath.  I will be happy with better brakes, suspension, and a modest HP boost." 
Long, you could pick up a nice '05 or '06 5-speed manual and for another $5 pick up the FRPP catalog--in which you can order better brakes, better suspension parts, and mild to moderate HP boosters.  Some assembly required, but some of these mods (a cold-air intake, for example) can be done underneath the proverbial shadetree with a coupla cold Negra Modelos and a winsome lass with a comely ass to hold the instruction sheet while you look up her skirt--I mean, while you tighten the hose clamps.  Lowering springs and some low profile 295s and you're ready to rip!  Get the babe a second job and she'll soon have enough for a Vortech or a ProCharger, although that may mean you'll have to pop for a diamond before the end of the year so choose your winsome lass with a comely ass carefully...
Personally (with full knowledge that the original Bullitt sported a 390), I would prefer the 4.6 over the 5.4 to keep weight down.  My dream would be the addition of 4-valve heads and possibly a bit higher of a redline.

I decided against the used route for two reasons. 
1.  I generally do not trust anyone, and considering how I feel about my cars, buying a used muscle car would be tantamount to going steady with the HS cheerleader that has had half the football team run the train on her.  It just......makes me queezy.
2.  My parents have decided to help out as a graduation gift, so I figure this might be one of the only times in my life I will be able to justify a new car purchase (we will see how long that opinion lasts  :tounge:).

Don't get me wrong, I will modify the car, and I have no problem doing it myself, but I want to just experience that new car feeling.  Call me a sucker, I won't disagree  :mrcool:

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 24, 2007, 02:30:46 PM
I decided against the used route for two reasons.?
1.? I generally do not trust anyone, and considering how I feel about my cars, buying a used muscle car would be tantamount to going steady with the HS cheerleader that has had half the football team run the train on her.? It just......makes me queezy.
You'll get over that queezy feeling when you are married and have a couple of kids...but still want to buy a new(er) muscle car.  You then realize that your wife will have your life if you buy it brand new, so you go the used route (I've done it a few times and I have never bought a bagged car) and then you still have a few bucks left over to mod it.

LonghornTX

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 24, 2007, 05:16:08 PM
You'll get over that queezy feeling when you are married and have a couple of kids...but still want to buy a new(er) muscle car.  You then realize that your wife will have your life if you buy it brand new, so you go the used route (I've done it a few times and I have never bought a bagged car) and then you still have a few bucks left over to mod it.

I hope so  :lol:.  Kidding aside, I guess it is all about taking your time and finding the right car.  Luckily, my gf (soon to be fiancee) knows about my passion, so at least I won't have to bother with constantly convincing her of the merits that a short shifter (or other like item) might bring.

SVT666

Quote from: LonghornTX on January 24, 2007, 09:55:04 PM
I hope so? :lol:.? Kidding aside, I guess it is all about taking your time and finding the right car.? Luckily, my gf (soon to be fiancee) knows about my passion, so at least I won't have to bother with constantly convincing her of the merits that a short shifter (or other like item) might bring.
Wanna bet?  My wife is fully aware of my passion about Mustangs.  Wives always think the money could be better spent elsewhere.  Yesterday she said to me, "When you had your Mustangs, that's all you ever talked about.  Now that you don't have a Mustang, it's worse."  So I told her that when I get my next one, I promise not to talk about it.  She didn't believe me...and she shouldn't. :lol:

Nethead

Another tuner Mustang, but this time built by a roadracing track!

"Public to get chance to race new Mustangs at MMP
Written by Steve Schwartzman     

Thursday, 01 February 2007

If you have the need for speed & and a fair chunk of change &you could be living out your race car driver fantasies at Miller Motorsports Park this spring.

The world-class racetrack unveiled the prototype of a high-performance Ford Mustang GT race car yesterday that amateur drivers will have a chance to try out at the park beginning in April. The revamped Mustang Challenge Car is available for sale for $55,000 or for rent for a race weekend for $3,700.

The cars will be reserved for on-track training and will also be used in the MMP Racing Association's series of 10 races that begin April 7. Drivers must be 16 years of age and have a competition license recognized by MMP. Car owners will leave their vehicles at the park.

"Larry H. Miller spent a lot of time driving our current school Mustang and turned to me and said, 'Alden, how can we get these to get faster?'" said MMP fleet manager Alden Rix, who heads up the car development program for the track. "From then on we've been working on the new car, and I think we've made a great product."

Twelve of the new cars are scheduled to be built up by April. They are designed to be lighter and more fitted for a road racetrack. The cars, on average, take around 38 hours to build up. Modifications include taking a great deal of the interior out of the original student race cars.

Miller Motorsports Park is one of only two tracks nationwide that runs its own car development program.

"We are always progressing in our ideas and developments," said Rix. "We are making great strides the further we go, and who knows what we will see occurring this year and in years to come. It's always fun to experience."

A group of area high school students were invited to check out the prototype car yesterday afternoon. Rix said the retro design of the new Mustang and its hybrid look of classic Mustang and flashy race car make it very appealing to youth (So much for those who claim that the New Mustang Nation is just a Baby-Boomer thing!).

"I wanted the kids to see the car firsthand," said Rix. "We wanted their impression of it. When you get young kids around a cool car, it is a always a great time for them and us."

Anyone interested in race training and licensing can sign up for MMP's high-performance two-day training school beginning in March."