Question...

Started by 850CSi, December 07, 2006, 02:12:13 PM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: The Pirate on December 12, 2006, 01:44:32 PM
Doesn't the E90 not have a dipstick?? Not a good thing IMO.
I knew newer cavaliers don't have a tranny dipstick, but ENGINE OIL???
Will

The Pirate

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 12, 2006, 05:56:25 PM
I knew newer cavaliers don't have a tranny dipstick, but ENGINE OIL???

Yeah, no crap, right?  I don't know that I would ever buy a car without an oil dipstick.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza on December 12, 2006, 05:01:26 PM
Apparently E90s don't need them.  Another thing they don't need is the steering wheel.  It's just there for looks.

Knight Industries Two Thousand is back in the shape of a 3er.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ro51092

I don't think my A4 has a transmission fluid dipstick either. That's the E90's only flaw, no damn oil dipstick. Why the hell did BMW choose to do that? :huh:

Whatever, the rest of the car PWNS.

The Pirate

Quote from: ro51092 on December 12, 2006, 09:36:49 PM
I don't think my A4 has a transmission fluid dipstick either. That's the E90's only flaw, no damn oil dipstick. Why the hell did BMW choose to do that? :huh:

Whatever, the rest of the car PWNS.

Manual transmission cars typically don't have a dipstick.  Instead, there would be two plugged holes on the casing of the transmission.  The lower one is the drain plug, and the higher one is the fill plug (fill til it's level).  My car's transmission takes just over two quarts, I know this because I changed it a few weeks ago.

ro51092

Quote from: The Pirate on December 12, 2006, 09:47:06 PM

Manual transmission cars typically don't have a dipstick.  Instead, there would be two plugged holes on the casing of the transmission.  The lower one is the drain plug, and the higher one is the fill plug (fill til it's level).  My car's transmission takes just over two quarts, I know this because I changed it a few weeks ago.

Really? I didn't know that.  :ohyeah:

850CSi

Manual transmission cars typically don't have a dipstick.? Instead, there would be two plugged holes on the casing of the transmission.? The lower one is the drain plug, and the higher one is the fill plug (fill til it's level).? My car's transmission takes just over two quarts, I know this because I changed it a few weeks ago.

My A4 had a dipstick, it was a 5-speed Manual. This one's also a stick.

850CSi

Quote from: Raza on December 12, 2006, 01:40:35 PM
Did you walk up to your car and say:

"Car: Check oil level now."

:lol:

The on-board computer gives a readout of oil level and mileage to maintenance.

The Pirate

Quote from: 850CSi on December 12, 2006, 10:17:12 PM
My A4 had a dipstick, it was a 5-speed Manual. This one's also a stick.

The 3er has a tranny dipstick too?  I know the manual tranny no dipstick thing isn't a hard and fast rule, but I'm surprised that that many cars would have one. 

Could be a German thing, I've never worked on a German car before.

850CSi

Quote from: The Pirate on December 12, 2006, 10:20:54 PM

The 3er has a tranny dipstick too?? I know the manual tranny no dipstick thing isn't a hard and fast rule, but I'm surprised that that many cars would have one.?

Could be a German thing, I've never worked on a German car before.

Ooops, I was talking about Engine oil. I'm not sure about tranny oil, it's probably the same as Ro's A4, because I don't remember seeing anything about it in the menu.

The Pirate

Quote from: 850CSi on December 12, 2006, 10:24:04 PM
Ooops, I was talking about Engine oil. I'm not sure about tranny oil, it's probably the same as Ro's A4, because I don't remember seeing anything about it in the menu.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense.  I was wondering what the hell the Germans were thinking!

:lol:

Danish

IIRC, to check the gear oil lever you take out the top bolt and stick your finger in. The bottom of your finger should have some oil on it
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Danish on December 12, 2006, 11:16:06 PM
IIRC, to check the gear oil lever you take out the top bolt and stick your finger in. The bottom of your finger should have some oil on it
Ditto that on the SHO.  Most manuals are probably the same.
To me an auto should have a dipstick or the engineers were 'sticks themselves.
Will

The Pirate

Quote from: Danish on December 12, 2006, 11:16:06 PM

The car has to be completely level for it to be accurate as well.  I had some problems getting mine level when I changed it.  I ended up fabricating a wood block of sorts to set on the jacking point that would keep the car completely level with the passenger side front wheel off.  With that wheel off, there is easy access to both plugs.  It worked out quite nicely, and I remembered to save the wood block for future procedures.