Anti-VW Club

Started by Vinsanity, December 07, 2006, 04:36:58 PM

ChrisV

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 08, 2006, 09:52:26 AM
I can see it's going to be hard being this club's official spokesshark.

That's becasue it's an "anti-X" club which is harder to defend than an "X enthusiasts" club.

Sorry, but I do take this seriously. I think if people took all knowledge seriously, we wouldn't have a problem with, nor complain about, stupid people, especially "stupid Americans."
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

J86

Quote from: 850CSi on December 08, 2006, 10:20:54 AM
We've given a lot more $$$ to Middle Eastern dictators in written checks than any gas-guzzling SUVs ever will.? :lol:

ooh, that's a good one. :lol:

Vinsanity

Quote from: ChrisV on December 08, 2006, 08:33:20 AM
I've never been a hippy, and yet I've owned over 30 VWs. I've built many mnore for customers. i LOVE air cooled VWs, but the early water cooled cars are great, too. iv'e been involved with road race and rally Rabbits and Sciroccos, and they've been fun, fast, and reliable. The air cooled VWs have been able to do everything from offroad racing to custom car shows to drag racing. Ever been in an air cooled beetle that can run 10s and still be streetable? I have (my buddy's stock looking '63 beetle. Sounded like a big bore motorcycle, and acellerated harder).

If you can't find a past VW that you like, then I suggest you really haven't looked with an open mind.

I have to admit, as underpowered as they were, I do appreciate many earlier VW's (I believe I made a statement in my first post implying so); I think that the Karmann Ghia and Type 3 are pretty sweet cars. I even have a soft spot for 80's Cabriolets. But somewhere between the overrated fanboi favorite Corrado and the lovechild of delusional Ferdinand Piech (Phaeton), I'm just completely turned off by that brand :-(

heelntoe

i almost joined, until i remembered my first ride in a beetle. i'm going to get a ride in a karmann ghia someday.
@heelntoe

L. ed foote

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 08, 2006, 11:21:58 AM
But somewhere between the overrated fanboi favorite Corrado and the lovechild of delusional Ferdinand Piech (Phaeton), I'm just completely turned off by that brand :-(

Corrado overrated?  How?  Why?
Member, Self Preservation Society

SJ_GTI

Silly thread IMHO. VW's certainly aren't overrated...they're essentially a niche brand in North America.

I bought my GTI because it was the best blend of features I wanted. It handled well (though not as well as a Cobalt SS), had all the luxury toys i wanted (heated seats, sunroof, nav, 6-disc cd changer), has good power without being overwhelming, gets good gas mileage, has a 6-speed manual, etc...

No other car could match its all around goodness, unless I spent a lot more money (ie: IS250 or 328i would be better cars, but only marginally and mainly due to being RWD).

I would have liked the Saab 9-3 as well, but the Aero only gets the big honkin V6 now and it was too easy to overwhelm the front tires. If Saab gives the 9-3 AWD it'll be near the top of my list for replacements. I am certainly not a VW fanboy (I only test drove the GTI so I could cross it off my list).

Vinsanity

Quote from: L. ed foote on December 08, 2006, 12:03:05 PM
Corrado overrated?? How?? Why?

It always struck me as a wannabe BMW poser car putting underwhelming power through the wrong wheels. and didn't they cost as much as a 300ZX and Mustang GT?

as for the GTI, I think it's an ok car, but never cared for the body style; I'd choose a Civic Si or even the aforementioned Cobalt SS long before the GTI.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 08, 2006, 08:42:12 AM
I don't know.  My friend has a Concorde and I think it's one of the best-handling front-drive full-size cars I've driven.  Ask Touareg how he likes his Intrepid.

Ask him how he likes his Camry, too. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

God I need a Corrado VR6 right now.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

I don't understand these clubs. I understand not liking the way people pretend their cars are gods among other cars, and are superior to anything ever built or to be built (a problem among many Toyota and VW owners), but there's nothing wrong with the cars. I like VW, and I like Toyota, but neither company (not including luxury marques) makes anything I'd buy right now. They both make good cars, and have made good cars, and have done things to earn their reputations, so what's everyone up at arms about?  :huh:  :P
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Vinsanity

Quote from: thewizard16 on December 08, 2006, 03:05:46 PM
I understand not liking the way people pretend their cars are gods among other cars, and are superior to anything ever built or to be built (a problem among many Toyota and VW owners)

that's pretty much the point of this club (and probably Wimmer's too). this whole thing did start off as a joke, though; I'm not sure about now :mask:

pommes-t

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 08, 2006, 03:11:39 PM
that's pretty much the point of this club (and probably Wimmer's too). this whole thing did start off as a joke, though; I'm not sure about now :mask:

I am dead serious!  I am always dead serious. And I don't like people that don't like VW!!!  :banghead: :nono:

( ;))

sandertheshark

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 08, 2006, 03:11:39 PM
I'm still laughing.

Vinsanity

Quote from: pommes-t on December 08, 2006, 04:52:05 PM
I am dead serious!? I am always dead serious. And I don't like people that don't like VW!!!? :banghead: :nono:

( ;))

I pity the fool with double digit hp ratings :hammerhead:

heelntoe

i wonder about those with single digit(yours truly.)
@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

Quote from: heelntoe on December 09, 2006, 07:06:31 AM
i wonder about those with single digit(yours truly.)

and you too ;) ...with your 3hp bike :praise:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

pommes-t

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 08, 2006, 06:40:06 PM

I pity the fool with double digit hp ratings :hammerhead:

Do you have to diss owners of small cars on the internet, because in real life people diss you because of a small penis?` :devil:
  :huh:  :lol:

What car do you drive btw?

heelntoe

Quote from: touareg208 on December 09, 2006, 07:30:44 AM
and you too ;) ...with your 3hp bike :praise:
8.5 hp last time i checked :praise:
it can spin wheels in gravel, too.
@heelntoe

Vinsanity

Quote from: pommes-t on December 09, 2006, 07:55:02 AM
Do you have to diss owners of small cars on the internet, because in real life people diss you because of a small penis?` :devil:
? :huh:? :lol:

What car do you drive btw?

hey...leave my penis out of this :mask:

pommes-t

Vinsanity

Quote from: pommes-t on December 09, 2006, 10:33:06 AM
:lol:

Nice ride.? :ohyeah:

aww...now I have to be nice to you. boo. :P

pommes-t

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 09, 2006, 10:44:56 AM

aww...now I have to be nice to you. boo. :P

You don't have to.

Do you have the lawnmower upgrade, the two roataing blades under the car, btw? Ohhh, sorry, I forgot, this was only available for a few Acuras. Yours has too less torque. But hey, you already have the sound!  :lol:

Vinsanity

Quote from: pommes-t on December 09, 2006, 10:49:35 AM

You don't have to.

Do you have the lawnmower upgrade, the two roataing blades under the car, btw? Ohhh, sorry, I forgot, this was only available for a few Acuras. Yours has too less torque. But hey, you already have the sound!? :lol:

now there's the spirit!

hey don't forget to feed the hamster turning the wheel under your hood :praise:

GoCougs

Perhaps an anti-"X" club thread is in jest, but IMO it's an immature act when such a notion finds its way into a signature.

pommes-t

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 09, 2006, 10:52:43 AM
now there's the spirit!

hey don't forget to feed the hamster turning the wheel under your hood :praise:

I've fed it with a lot of testosterone, Dr. Pepper and Hamburgers. Now it produces more than 60 horsepower!

sportyaccordy

As of late VWs strike me as very business-ish. Like the only people I could see driving VWs these days are consultants (Passats), real estate agents (Jettas) and delivery-folks (Rabbits). Their cars have such utilitarian designs these days it's hard to see how anyone could be passionate about them.

That said, I do like the older designs; especially the first round of VR6 cars. If reliability wasn't such a coin flip with them I would probably get one.

Raza

Vinsanity, is that a 2.0 or a 2.2?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 09, 2006, 12:35:55 PM
As of late VWs strike me as very business-ish. Like the only people I could see driving VWs these days are consultants (Passats), real estate agents (Jettas) and delivery-folks (Rabbits). Their cars have such utilitarian designs these days it's hard to see how anyone could be passionate about them.

That said, I do like the older designs; especially the first round of VR6 cars. If reliability wasn't such a coin flip with them I would probably get one.

In my opinion, you're way off.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 09, 2006, 12:35:55 PM

I have no idea how accurate that is around here, but I really like the new Passat. To me it's a more classly (or professional) alternative to a Camry or Accord, and based on looks and interior design alone, can justify it's higher price tag.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BRealistic

Quote from: Vinsanity on December 07, 2006, 04:36:58 PM
Hopefully you know by now that I'm not one to troll for/against manufacturers, but the creation of all these new clubs is making me want to jump into a brandwagon :lol:

So why VW?
Suffice it to say, I never understood why some seem to have a strong preference for them; I don't see what makes them so special compared to Toyota, Nissan, or even Ford that justifies a considerable price tag premium over them. I've never bothered to badmouth VW until back when they advertised a $28,000 Passat as a "Low Ego" car, and later when they relvealed a concept Scirocco resembling a GTI with the "Fast and Furious" treatment that everyone went crazy for anyway. Recently I've liked to tell people that, "back in the day, VW's were cheap and reliable; now they're the exact opposite."

I suspect I will be flamed with the fires of hell now, but I honestly would like a VW fan to enlighten me as to what makes them superior to other similarly-sized family cars costing much less.

I don't suspect anyone is going to be joining my club, though :devil:

I did not read the thread- just this OP.

I actually like VW, but am not really a big fan of what they offer. They seem a bit pricey for all but the most base model vehicles offered, and the long term reliability issue is still unanswered. When you pay more for a vehicle and repairs cost more, you expect it is because it has better quality. But f the vehicle is expensive to buy, repair, AND it breaks more often than the average U.S. domestic- then what?

Compound that with the rather soft suspension settings that even 'sport' models have, and it seems the vehicles are about image and straight line speed and comfortable cruising than actual all around driving performance. Then add the typical VW fan responses to handling or performance or price criticisms for a stock new VW:

"1) It's German
2) The VW has a luxury car interior
3) You can just chip it and get 60 more HP
4) $1,500 worth of suspension mods will fix the handling issues
5) The VW has soul
6) It's German"

And ---- even then I don't understand the point of making a club against a brand, and especially a brand with interesting models. It's just a car- and there seems to be a lot of people willing to pay a little extra for price and repairs to have something different, and they also seem to not care about VWoA being a complete ars when it comes to known issue repairs under warranty. :huh:

Seriously- I wish VW would have a Mazdaspeed, 'M', SVT- etc- type tuning branch that would offer a tuned version of their current vehicles. The GTI just needs proper damping to be a much better performer, and if VW turbo engines can reliably take much more boost- then why not offer that as a bolt on factory kit? :confused: