Top Gear: Roush Mustang vs. GT500

Started by SVT666, December 08, 2006, 07:41:33 AM

SVT666

Jeremy Clarkson drives a 1968 Mustang 390 GT, and then takes on a new Roush Stage 3 and a GT500 Vert.

http://www.stangnet.com/Videos/Exhibition/Clarkson%3A-Roush-Stage-3-vs-Shelby-GT500/details/ 

Catman

Great find! :ohyeah:

OMG!  THAT ROUSH.  LISTEN TO THAT WHINE!  I WANT IT, I WANT IT.  AWESOME! :rockon:

SVT666

Quote from: Catman on December 08, 2006, 03:54:44 PM
Great find! :ohyeah:

OMG!? THAT ROUSH.? LISTEN TO THAT WHINE!? I WANT IT, I WANT IT.? AWESOME! :rockon:
Watching that Roush drift around the corners gave me goosebumps.

the Teuton

Clarkson called an American car "Fantastic."  Mark that one for the record books.

Is there more to the test?  Is this from TGTV?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on December 08, 2006, 04:45:05 PM
Clarkson called an American car "Fantastic."  Mark that one for the record books.

Is there more to the test?  Is this from TGTV?

Clarkson seems to have a soft spot for Mustangs.  He really seemed to like the '05 GT he tested, even though he at first bashed it for being unrefined.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I'd take the Roush in a heartbeat over the Shelby... unlike the Roush, it seems the shelby is more about image then substance
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT_Power

I thought Roush was pronounced - "roo-sh"
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

MX793

Quote from: M_power on December 08, 2006, 05:31:40 PM
I thought Roush was pronounced - "roo-sh"

No, it's pronounced with an "ow" sound like "out".
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Mustangs....:rolleyes:

Mustangs....:wub:

:wub:

I need that Roush.  Any chance I can get one with a more subdued exterior?

Would it be cheaper to take a Shelby GT500 coupe and work on the suspension, get the Roush, or a Saleen, or get a Mustang GT and start from scratch?

Oh my, my brother will never want to be seen with me again.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Quote from: Raza on December 08, 2006, 05:48:53 PM
Mustangs....:rolleyes:

Mustangs....:wub:

:wub:

I need that Roush.  Any chance I can get one with a more subdued exterior?

Would it be cheaper to take a Shelby GT500 coupe and work on the suspension, get the Roush, or a Saleen, or get a Mustang GT and start from scratch?

Oh my, my brother will never want to be seen with me again.

Haha.  As far as it's styling I might forgo the rear spoiler but the rest is badass and should stay.

sandertheshark

I think Roush makes the best Mustangs around.

SVT666

Just so everyone knows the GT500 coupe's suspension setup is quite different from the Vert's.  The coupes is setup a lot more like the Roush's.  Clarkson confuses me.  In one test he will lie to the viewers and say he is driving a GT when he is really driving a V6 just to make the Mustang look bad, and then in the next he talks about how much he loves it.

Catman

Raza

Quote from: Catman on December 08, 2006, 07:11:28 PM
Haha.  As far as it's styling I might forgo the rear spoiler but the rest is badass and should stay.

I like the louvers, but the visibility in the Mustang is so poor, I need all the window I can get.  And the hood scoop is probably functional, but I still don't like it.  And I don't like the rims either.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

I really don't like the supercharger whine.

390 GT! :wub:

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 08, 2006, 07:16:28 PM
Just so everyone knows the GT500 coupe's suspension setup is quite different from the Vert's.  The coupes is setup a lot more like the Roush's.  Clarkson confuses me.  In one test he will lie to the viewers and say he is driving a GT when he is really driving a V6 just to make the Mustang look bad, and then in the next he talks about how much he loves it.

Is it?  Because I've heard similar complaints about the coupe before. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Raza on December 08, 2006, 08:52:07 PM
Is it?? Because I've heard similar complaints about the coupe before.?
The coupe is substantially stiffer and better setup for hard cornering.  I have heard mixed things about it though.  I have read that it pushes in corners from some reviewers and read elsewhere that it felt fairly neutral and well balanced...even moreso then a Mustang GT. 

IrishGuy

I could listen to that Roush supercharger all day :wub:
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Catman

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 09, 2006, 11:58:40 AM
The coupe is substantially stiffer and better setup for hard cornering.  I have heard mixed things about it though.  I have read that it pushes in corners from some reviewers and read elsewhere that it felt fairly neutral and well balanced...even moreso then a Mustang GT. 

Evo said it was understeery (I can look up the exact words when I get a chance; I could be remembering it incorrectly) and I believe Car magazine also has stated that the weight balance makes the rear react as if it were a FWD car to lifting the throttle. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on December 09, 2006, 02:02:57 PM
the Roush looks better too
It's a little over the top, but it is defintely the best looking tuner Mustang around.  I would rather have a Roush Mustang Stage 3 with the stock body.  Talk about a sleeper.

BRealistic

I think that's the first time I have heard him say "NASCAR" without making a joke.

Anybody have a link to the rest of the show- where the Roush Mustang is compared to " the best that Europe can throw at it?

IrishGuy

Quote from: BRealistic on December 09, 2006, 02:39:49 PM
I think that's the first time I have heard him say "NASCAR" without making a joke.

Anybody have a link to the rest of the show- where the Roush Mustang is compared to " the best that Europe can throw at it?

I was wondering the same...
2022 Toyota 4Runner Limited

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

SVT666

Me too.  I looked it up on youtube and came up with nothing.  The only video it came up with was the one we just watched.  I have watched it 6 times because I can't get enough of the sound. :rockon:

Catman

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 09, 2006, 08:10:14 PM
Me too.  I looked it up on youtube and came up with nothing.  The only video it came up with was the one we just watched.  I have watched it 6 times because I can't get enough of the sound. :rockon:

Where's that link to all the top gear shows?

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna