C/D Comparo: Large Sedans

Started by ifcar, June 05, 2005, 06:09:34 AM

ifcar

6th Place: Kia Amanti (156 points)
Highs: Great hospitality for the passengers, classy burled-wood trim, luxo-car ride, auto up and down on all windows.
Lows: Excessive avoirdupois, slack responses to driver inputs, Planet of the Mutants styling.
The Verdict: Get some plastic surgery, kid, then give us a call.

5th Place: Buick LaCrosse CXS (175 points)
Highs: Refined engine earns spot in the fast lane, crisp handling reflexes without rocky ride, sunny interior thanks to the low beltline.
Lows: Rear-seat spae much tighter than the others' Grandpa exterior styling, jerky transmission in stop-and-go traffic.
The Verdict: Just perfect for all those conflict-avoidance therapists.

4th Place: Ford Five Hundred Limited (188 points)
Highs: Classy looks inside and out, huge interior space, whopper trunk, Vista Cruiser view.
Lows: Underachiever V6, six-speed auto too reluctant to downshift, front buckets are back killers.
The Verdict: A triumph of virtue over verve.

3rd Place: Nissan Maxima 3.5SE (198 points)
Highs: Spry performance, just-right front buckets, athletic moves over the road.
Lows: Torque steer, jumpy throttle, overwrought-Altima exterior, fleece-lined cockpit.
The Verdict: If you're looking for the perfect un-Buick...

2nd Place: Chrysler 300 (203 points)
Highs: Drives like the knee bones are connected to the thigh bones, the metallic-look dash, pleasing power and noises from the 3.5-liter V6.
Lows: Lots of road noise, only a four-speed auto without manumatic, low-budget shine on the plastic interior padding.
The Verdict: Plus-sized and proud of it.

1st Place: Toyota Avalon Touring (213 points)
Highs: Smart-looking new shape, splendidly legible instruments, three bads full of storage space up front, exhilarating thrust.
Lows: Extra-crunchy ride, the blue screen of gratuitous info glowing at us from the dash center, driver seat has to be low to get the cushion angle right.
The Verdict: Look out, GM! Toyota has the formula.

Fire It Up

Extra crunchy ride? What does that mean?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

ifcar

QuoteExtra crunchy ride? What does that mean?
They felt that the firmer-suspension Touring model rides too stiffly.

giant_mtb

I haven't gotten my June issue yet...  :blink:  

ifcar

QuoteI haven't gotten my June issue yet...  :blink:
Why don't you drive down to the C/D offices and complain?  :P  

giant_mtb

QuoteI haven't gotten my June issue yet...  :blink:
Why don't you drive down to the C/D offices and complain?  :P
:lol:  :P  

BMWDave

I dont think the 500 merited being placed so low.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

giant_mtb

QuoteI dont think the 500 merited being placed so low.
Especially considering it's a brand new vehicle and the kinks haven't had a chance to have been worked out yet...

ifcar

They just found the next three cars more fun to drive, which not surprisingly counts for a lot in an enthusiast mag.  

BMWDave

They just found the next three cars more fun to drive, which not surprisingly counts for a lot in an enthusiast mag.
And yet the rank the Avalon so high?  Is the Avalon fun to drive? <_<  

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

Especially considering it's a brand new vehicle and the kinks haven't had a chance to have been worked out yet...
Even if that did make sense, all of the six were new for either 04 or 05.

ifcar

It did top the group's Fun To Drive rating, with 19/25.  :lol:

Anyway, it was the quickest (6.0 seconds to 60), was "way above the others" in the lane-change test, and they liked the steering.  

BMWDave

Anyway, it was the quickest (6.0 seconds to 60), was "way above the others" in the lane-change test, and they liked the steering.
From what I have heard, the 500 has very acceptable ride, handling (due to the Volvo platform).  So I would assume it would be more sporty than the Avalon, even if it isnt faster.

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

From what I have heard, the 500 has very acceptable ride, handling (due to the Volvo platform).  So I would assume it would be more sporty than the Avalon, even if it isnt faster.
The Avalon they reviewed had the sport suspension, which no doubt helped, but the acceleration made a bigger difference.  

bobwill

My nitpick, of course the Lacrosse is going to have the least passenger space.  The thing's classified by every agency as being a midsize whereas the 300, 500, and Avalon are all classified as large cars.

Fire It Up

Man, would these people stop using weird similies...what does "Drives like the knee bones are connected to the thigh bones" mean?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

93JC

Quote5th Place: Buick LaCrosse CXS (175 points)
Lows: ... jerky transmission in stop-and-go traffic.
<_< Not bloody likely...

ifcar

QuoteMy nitpick, of course the Lacrosse is going to have the least passenger space.  The thing's classified by every agency as being a midsize whereas the 300, 500, and Avalon are all classified as large cars.
It fits into the large sedan area in exterior size and price, but rear seat room is behind even most midsizes.

BMWDave

QuoteMan, would these people stop using weird similies...what does "Drives like the knee bones are connected to the thigh bones" mean?
:lol:   They always do that.  I dont know why though.  Guess they think it makes them sound better. B)  

2007 Honda S2000

SJ_GTI

Quote5th Place: Buick LaCrosse CXS (175 points)
Lows: ... jerky transmission in stop-and-go traffic.
<_< Not bloody likely...
I thought that was a little weird too. I have driven plenty of GM cars with 4-speed autos (GP, Impala, MC, Malibu, Regal, etc...) and I have never, ever thought the transmission was "jerky" in any conditions.

giant_mtb

QuoteMan, would these people stop using weird similies...what does "Drives like the knee bones are connected to the thigh bones" mean?
I think it means the driving position is very cramped.  The pedals are close to the seat so your legs are cramped...I have no idea.

ifcar

I think it means the driving position is very cramped.  The pedals are close to the seat so your legs are cramped...I have no idea.
No, it was a "High". It must be something about handling, it feels connected to the road?

Catman

I'd like to see Ford Come out with an SVT or Touring version of the 500.  Maybe a HO version of the new 3.5L in the neighborhood 275 hp and a taught suspension and a unique (Read sportier) interior.  

I admit that I really like the 500, it's a helluva good family sedan it just needs a more modern engine which is coming.  If Ford can just tweak the exterior a bit, not too much, it should be even better.

Raza

I'd rank them as such:

Maxima (6 speed)
Lacrosse CXS
Ford 500
Chrysler 300
Avalon
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Car Zeus

No suprise there Raza.

We all know your love for Toyota.

My rankings:

1. Chrysler 300
2. Avalon
3. Maxima
4. 500
5. Lacrosse

ifcar

I guess I never weighed in with my order:

1. Avalon
2. Five Hundred
3. Maxima
4. LaCrosse (TIE)
4. Amanti (TIE)
6. 300  

SJ_GTI

What the heck. Having only driven the Maxima, I will rank them like this:

Maxima SE (with 6MT!)
300 Touring
Lacrosse CXS
Avalon
Amanti

Raza

QuoteNo suprise there Raza.

We all know your love for Toyota.

My rankings:

1. Chrysler 300
2. Avalon
3. Maxima
4. 500
5. Lacrosse
I do love Toyota.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

Here is my order:
1. Maxima
2. Lacrosse (though the Lucerne will fit in this class much better)
3. Five Hundred (my top pick for non enthuisists)
4. Avalon
5. 300
6. Amanti

crv16

QuoteAnyway, it was the quickest (6.0 seconds to 60), was "way above the others" in the lane-change test, and they liked the steering.
Woah - that is pretty damn fast.  Isn't the Lexus GS 430 something like 5.9 sec 0-60?
09 Honda Accord EX-L V6
09 Subaru Forester X Premium 5 speed