Has FoMoCo lost its mind?!? (Mustang sedan and wagon!)

Started by gasoline, December 13, 2006, 09:03:55 AM

SVT666

SVT666

etypeJohn

Personally I think there would be a place for a Mustang Station Wagon.  But then again I like station wagons.

I think a Mustang with doors like an RX8 might make sense too. 

SVT666

Quote from: etypeJohn on December 15, 2006, 10:10:59 AM
Personally I think there would be a place for a Mustang Station Wagon.? But then again I like station wagons.

I think a Mustang with doors like an RX8 might make sense too.?
Stop before you kill me.  Mustangs are NOT 4 doors or wagons...PERIOD!!!  If they want to base cars on the same platform, then fine, go ahead, but don't share any sheetmetal or the name.

etypeJohn

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 15, 2006, 10:38:33 AM
Stop before you kill me.? Mustangs are NOT 4 doors or wagons...PERIOD!!!? If they want to base cars on the same platform, then fine, go ahead, but don't share any sheetmetal or the name.

Some pics from 40 years ago you might find interesting.    :cheers:

sandertheshark

Quote from: etypeJohn on December 15, 2006, 10:52:08 AM
Some pics from 40 years ago you might find interesting. :cheers:
Excuse me while I go pour sodium hydroxide into my eyes to distract myself from the pain.

93JC

I think that '66 Mustang shooting brake is very cool, but I don't think it's something Ford should pursue today. Not much of a market for it, and frankly they'd set off a riot of the Mustang faithful.

GM has played with the idea of a muscle car wagon before too, as Sean pointed out. Supposedly this was fairly close to production:

etypeJohn

Quote from: 93JC on December 15, 2006, 11:32:03 AM
I think that '66 Mustang shooting brake is very cool, but I don't think it's something Ford should pursue today. Not much of a market for it, and frankly they'd set off a riot of the Mustang faithful.

In all seriousness I agree with you, but I do like real station wagons. Not those bastard cross overs and the like.? I think there is a market for a Fusion wagon.

Lets say, for the sake of discussion that Ford did come out with a wagon variant of the Mustang.? Would that really stop someone from buying a coupe or convertible?

gasoline

Quote from: Raza on December 13, 2006, 09:37:43 AM
A Mustang-based sedan and wagon wouldn't be a bad idea.  Wheelbase is certainly long enough.
Boy, engineering is not the problem--and you know it too! :devil:

All is right with the world again, people!
http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/tag/ford-to-autoweek-no-mustang-sedan-no-mustang-wagon-222237.php
-----------------------------------

BimmerM3

Quote from: Raza on December 13, 2006, 10:56:22 AM
Because it was a Lincoln.  I don't think I ever saw a comparison where it didn't place well; for example, I remember it pushing out the S Type and the original M45.
My dad has an LS and it's not a bad car at all... Sure it's kinda heavy and doesn't have the best tranny, but it handles  well, makes some decent power, and is generally enjoyable to drive. I like to think of it as the 5-series for people who can only afford the 3er. I think you're right though, the thing that killed it is that people don't associate Lincoln with sport sedan.

CaseyNPham

A while ago, Gm and FoMoCo were equally crazy.

And then GM made the smart choice not to brand everything SS.
Now Ford is POSSIBLY making the choice of Mustang variants.

I guess everything has to add up. ^_~
Quoteand then caseyNpham got a 17 incher up his 'umbrella stand' and then he screamed like a little

ifcar

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Car_Shows_and_Concept_Cars/Concept_Cars/2007_Ford_Interceptor_Concept.S283.A11592.html

Ford says a new rear-drive, four-door concept sedan will make its world debut at the 2007 Detroit auto show in January.

The concept, dubbed Interceptor, is based on the Mustang's architecture. But Ford officials were forced to confirm the Interceptor's Detroit debut after several automotive publications reported a four-door Mustang was in the works. Ford says explicitly that no expanded Mustang line is planned: "Recent media speculation concerning an expanded Mustang line - including a sedan and wagon model to be sold in global markets - is not true. Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique, two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car."

Ford adds that the Interceptor is "not a Mustang" and has no current place in the company's production plans. However, plans for a rear-drive Ford mid-size sedan have been bubbling up in the company since the successful launch of the Mustang-and a Lincoln version is also said to be in the works.

Ford promises more information on its rear-drive concept for December 31, 2006.

JWC

Quote from: Nethead on December 13, 2006, 10:39:06 AM
gasoline: These rumors have made the rounds before, yet the only Mustangs ever produced in forty-two years have been 2-door, RWD hardtops, coupes, or convertibles--OK, there once was a 2-door hatchback fastback ('74--???, but they got axed eventually) which would probably be called a "3-door" in this decade.  Some websites have some grainy photos purported to be concept Mustang four-doors and concept Mustang station wagons from the mid-'Sixties, but they aren't convincing as photos go.  Photochopping wasn't invented then, but the general graininess of those black-&-whites look pretty suspect to me...
Besides, the Lincoln LS was much akin to what a Mustang four-door would have to be, and Ford dropped it because folks weren't interested.  What's changed about that?

The Mustang stationwagon did exist, but was probably a concept built by an individual.  It was reviewed by Car and Driver in 1966.   I wouldn't own a four door version of a Mustang, but I would consider a two-door wagon.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you feel about it, these are only rumors and I believe have already been denied.  This car was built by an advertising agency and presented to Ford.

rohan

I kinda like the idea of a 4 door convertible like the old Pontiac.  I think that'ld sell pretty well guys.  Lets see a 4 door falcon convertible with a 400 horse engine would be a fun car.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

etypeJohn

Quote from: JWC on December 17, 2006, 08:46:18 PM
The Mustang stationwagon did exist, but was probably a concept built by an individual.? It was reviewed by Car and Driver in 1966.? ?I wouldn't own a four door version of a Mustang, but I would consider a two-door wagon.

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on how you feel about it, these are only rumors and I believe have already been denied.? This car was built by an advertising agency and presented to Ford.

It was a one off designed by Bob Cumberford (sp?)

Raza

Quote from: etypeJohn on December 18, 2006, 06:18:43 AM
It was a one off designed by Bob Cumberford (sp?)

The same Robert Cumberford that does design analysis for Automobile Magazine?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: Nethead on December 13, 2006, 10:39:06 AM
gasoline: These rumors have made the rounds before, yet the only Mustangs ever produced in forty-two years have been 2-door, RWD hardtops, coupes, or convertibles--OK, there once was a 2-door hatchback fastback ('74--???, but they got axed eventually) which would probably be called a "3-door" in this decade.  Some websites have some grainy photos purported to be concept Mustang four-doors and concept Mustang station wagons from the mid-'Sixties, but they aren't convincing as photos go.  Photochopping wasn't invented then, but the general graininess of those black-&-whites look pretty suspect to me...

I actualy got to see that last car in person. I think a sportwagon would have sold quite well, and would even now. Think BMW M Coupe.

This last one was built by some individual, however...

I've also seen a Fairmont wagon with the Fox Mustang nose added. Looked pretty good, actually.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Nethead

I found this at www.mustangblogs.com:

Ford Says No Way To 4-Door Mustang

A few days after AutoWeek and Autocar reported a 4-door Mustang was in the works Ford responded saying it?s completely not true. It was pretty much as I stated in my previous entry that a Mustang Sedan or Wagon was total BS and (the author of this blog) could not see Ford going through with any such model. According to Ford the Mustang is an icon and will continue in it?s current form as a unique 2 door, 2+2 performance car. Read the whole press release from Ford below.

Press Release:

Ford Motor Company today made clear that recent media speculation concerning an expanded Mustang line ? including a sedan and wagon model to be sold in global markets ? is not true. Mustang is an icon and will continue in its current form: a unique, two-door, rear-wheel drive, 2+2 performance car.

At the 2007 North American International Auto Show, Ford will unveil a four-door, rear-wheel-drive concept car. The concept, known as ?The Interceptor?, is based on the Mustang?s rear-wheel-drive architecture but it is not a Mustang and no production plans have been announced. Additional information on the Ford rear-drive concept will be available December 31, 2006.
So many stairs...so little time...

Eye of the Tiger

As the Dictator of the Shooting Brake Fan Club, I definately approve of this idea, though I certainly wouldn't argue with a Falcon XR6 wagon either.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)