Has FoMoCo lost its mind?!? (Mustang sedan and wagon!)

Started by gasoline, December 13, 2006, 09:03:55 AM

gasoline

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061213/FREE/61211029/1065

QuoteFord?s iconic Mustang is poised to play a crucial role in Ford?s future by expanding beyond its traditional role as a single performance figurehead into a complete range of global models. And the company?s Australian arm looks like the source for all the necessary hardware.

In a secret product planning meeting last fall, key Ford executives discussed a bold strategy to take the legendary Mustang mainstream. Ideas include both sedan and wagon variants of America?s original muscle car, with those cars joining the traditional coupe when the sixth-generation Mustang arrives in U.S. showrooms in 2011, AutoWeek sources say.
:confused: :huh: :pullover: :pullover: :nono:

Something nasty is in the water in Dearborn!

http://autoextremist.com/page6.shtml#table
QuoteFord. Publisher's Note: Autoweek is reporting on its website that the Ford Motor Company's future product plans include developing "a bold strategy to take the legendary Mustang mainstream. Ideas include both sedan and wagon variants of America's original muscle car, with those cars joining the traditional coupe when the sixth-generation Mustang arrives in U.S. showrooms in 2011." Ugh. What part of this idea did anyone down at Ford think was good? It's one thing to develop cool, performance offshoots of the rear-wheel-drive Mustang platform in the interest of expanding the product portfolio - as long as you don't call them Mustangs. The Mustang is an icon, pure and simple. It survived the ill-fated Mustang II period and the reduced horsepower era, and it lived to run wild again. But a sedan or a wagon variant would be absolutely devastating to the brand, in no uncertain terms. A little history lesson for everyone over in Dearborn - way back when John Z. DeLorean took over the reins of Chevrolet, he attempted to end the "exclusive" arrangement for Corvette. He wanted to build it as an offshoot of the Camaro and thus save a ton of production cost and make him look like a genius. He even thought about making a 2+2 version. Fortunately, the True Believers became outraged, and cooler heads prevailed within GM and his plan went nowhere. Memo to Ford: A cool, high-performance rear-wheel-drive sedan and wagon would be an excellent addition to your product portfolio. Go to the well and pull out some of the great names from Ford's past (you have plenty of 'em), and then build those cars. You need them desperately. But leave the Mustang out of it, or you'll destroy the legacy - and the future - of the one passenger car you have that has instant name recognition for everyone in America. - PMD
-----------------------------------

SVT666

I'll believe it when I see it.  I don't think that even Ford is THAT stupid. 

gasoline

Oh, boy I hope not!
I really hope not!
That would be the most ridiculous...
They had better not even think about it.
-----------------------------------

sandertheshark

Mustang sedan and wagon?

Category 7 WTF.

sandertheshark

SVT666

OK.  Mustang club we need to hold a meeting to discuss this and decide how we are going to combat it  ;)

Raza

A Mustang-based sedan and wagon wouldn't be a bad idea.  Wheelbase is certainly long enough.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sandertheshark

Quote from: Raza on December 13, 2006, 09:37:43 AM
A Mustang-based sedan and wagon wouldn't be a bad idea. Wheelbase is certainly long enough.
I think they used to have a sedan with a Mustang Platform called the Lincoln LS.? That was a pretty good idea.? Naming the sedan or wagon "Mustang" is the bad idea here.

Raza

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 13, 2006, 09:41:35 AM
I think they had a sedan with a Mustang chassis called the Lincoln LS.  That was a pretty good idea.  Naming the sedan or wagon "Mustang" is the bad idea here.

Agreed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: sandertheshark on December 13, 2006, 09:41:35 AM
I think they used to have a sedan with a Mustang Platform called the Lincoln LS.  That was a pretty good idea.  Naming the sedan or wagon "Mustang" is the bad idea here.

The LS and the Mustang are on different platforms.  The original idea was to put the new Mustang on a slightly cheapened version of the DEW98 platform, but that proved too expensive so they produced a whole new platform called the D2C.

As far as a Mustang sedan, it's a bad idea.  If they want a Mustang-like sedan, they should call it a Falcon.  Then again, did Ford make a Thunderbird sedan some years ago?  And I know they made a sedan version of the Mercury Cougar.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

Sharing any sheetmetal is a bad idea too.  Use the platform, but change all the sheetmetal and the name and that will make Mustang fanatics happy.  The T-Bird and Lincoln LS were built on the previous version of the Mustang's platform so I don't see the problem.

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 13, 2006, 09:48:41 AM
Sharing any sheetmetal is a bad idea too.  Use the platform, but change all the sheetmetal and the name and that will make Mustang fanatics happy.  The T-Bird and Lincoln LS were built on the previous version of the Mustang's platform so I don't see the problem.

The LS was in no way related to the Mustang, past or present.  The DEW98 was built new from the ground up for the Jag S-type and Lincoln LS.  It was later used to underpin the retro T bird.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

I guess they finally ran out of ideas for another "Mr Potatoe Head and his bucket of Parts" limited edition model to keep sales and interest up  :devil: :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Guy Legend

Wow, the idiots at Ford..... :banghead:

Instead of destroying the Mustang's legacy and making the company part of an even bigger joke, why not bring over or design a new Falcon for North America...... :devil:

sandertheshark

Quote from: Guy Legend on December 13, 2006, 09:54:44 AM
Wow, the idiots at Ford..... :banghead:

Instead of destroying the Mustang's legacy and making the company part of an even bigger joke, why not bring over or design a new Falcon for North America...... :devil:
If Ford made a decision that made that much sense, I'd be suspicious.

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on December 13, 2006, 09:51:49 AM
The LS was in no way related to the Mustang, past or present.? The DEW98 was built new from the ground up for the Jag S-type and Lincoln LS.? It was later used to underpin the retro T bird.
...and the current Mustang is built on a revised DEW98 platform.

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on December 13, 2006, 09:59:27 AM
...and the current Mustang is built on a revised DEW98 platform.

No, D2C is not based on the DEW98 platform.  It was originally supposed to be on the DEW-light platform, but it proved to be too expensive to produce, so they devised the D2C, which actually shares bits with the C1 compact platform.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

It's either:

1.) A joke;

or...

2.) A sign of utter panic and desperation.

sportyaccordy

Isn't Ford using all it's assets as collateral on a huge loan they're taking out as well?

I think Ford should have a RWD chassis in America...that doesn't have a live rear axle or ladder frame and isn't for an SUV. I don't see why they don't call it something else though.

And the Lincoln LS was a pretty good car...why didn't it succeed?

JYODER240

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 13, 2006, 10:33:45 AM
Isn't Ford using all it's assets as collateral on a huge loan they're taking out as well?

I think Ford should have a RWD chassis in America...that doesn't have a live rear axle or ladder frame and isn't for an SUV. I don't see why they don't call it something else though.

The LS was never that good. It was decent but american car makers need more than decent to be succesful.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Nethead

gasoline: These rumors have made the rounds before, yet the only Mustangs ever produced in forty-two years have been 2-door, RWD hardtops, coupes, or convertibles--OK, there once was a 2-door hatchback fastback ('74--???, but they got axed eventually) which would probably be called a "3-door" in this decade.? Some websites have some grainy photos purported to be concept Mustang four-doors and concept Mustang station wagons from the mid-'Sixties, but they aren't convincing as photos go.? Photochopping wasn't invented then, but the general graininess of those black-&-whites look pretty suspect to me...
Besides, the Lincoln LS was much akin to what a Mustang four-door would have to be, and Ford dropped it because folks weren't interested.? What's changed about that?
So many stairs...so little time...

the Teuton

Ford has a history of ruining good two-doors by making them 4-doors.  Look at this Thunderbird for proof.  If they do make a RWD, Mustang-based sedan, it has to have IRS.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 13, 2006, 10:33:45 AM

Because it was a Lincoln.  I don't think I ever saw a comparison where it didn't place well; for example, I remember it pushing out the S Type and the original M45.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

LonghornTX

I certainly hope FoMoCo is not stupid enough to market a sedan and wagon version under the mustang name, especially with some of the Mustang's traditional competitors returning to market.  Leave the sedan and wagon to the Falcon name IMO....
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

Guy Legend

When will I be able to go off-roading in my 4x4 Ford Mustang?

omicron

The basic idea isn't at all bad - Ford Australia has a well-designed, cheap, reliable RWD platform that is within 4 inches of the overall length of a Mustang, with 4 litre inline six, NA or turbocharged, or a 5.4 litre V8, 6-speed manual or ZF 6-speed automatic and double wishbone IRS.

It makes perfect sense to base the two cars on the same platform, but if I was Ford, I'd want to be sure that my market research was very clear on how best to visually link (or otherwise) the two cars.

Nethead

Quote from: omicron on December 14, 2006, 03:29:43 AM
The basic idea isn't at all bad - Ford Australia has a well-designed, cheap, reliable RWD platform that is within 4 inches of the overall length of a Mustang, with 4 litre inline six, NA or turbocharged, or a 5.4 litre V8, 6-speed manual or ZF 6-speed automatic and double wishbone IRS.

It makes perfect sense to base the two cars on the same platform, but if I was Ford, I'd want to be sure that my market research was very clear on how best to visually link (or otherwise) the two cars.
omicron: 'Sounds like Australia has the perfect platform for "stretched" Mustangs already developed with excellent engine and transmission options on a double wishbone IRS platform!? Why diddle with the Mustang chassis when what you're seeking already exists?
I would say that a two-door Mustang 4WD with a wagon roof would make a great all-purpose sporty vehicle--sorta like a WRX with a V8 which doesn't look like Roseanne Bar with a wing on her butt and a hoodscoop on her nose.? Essentially, a streetcar able to tackle snow, slush, and rain-soaked dirt roads.? Because it would start out as a Mustang GT to which a wagon roof and 4WD has been added, this would not be an entry-level car.? Maybe with a V6 it could start below $30,000--but that wouldn't sell without the new 3.5 liter quadcam V6.
BTW, I ain't talkin' transverse engine 4WD, but the real thing with a longitudinally mounted engine, a transfer case behind the transmission, two driveshafts, and a front as well as a rear differential.
But the pricing probably nixes the whole concept.? Chevy has never made an effort to produce a resurrected Nomad 2WD wagon because they feel they couldn't sell enough of them at a price that would return a worthwhile profit.? However, Ford should market this as the Mustang for a family who needs more utility than can be found in a two-door coupe, but wants the great looks and sportiness of a Mustang.? And it would be all Mustang coupe from the doors forward, on the same wheelbase, and exactly the same length (no effin' stretching as so commonly dilutes utility derivatives of coupes).? Roof racks would not be an option--if you need a roof rack, get an SUV....
So many stairs...so little time...

TheIntrepid

Well as much as I think it's a terrible idea, I think that it would make a good competitor for Charger R/T and the next RWD Impala SS.... Ford doesn't have a 'muscle sedan' like the other domestic brands do.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

Quote from: Nethead on December 14, 2006, 06:23:55 AM
However, Ford should market this as the Mustang for a family who needs more utility than can be found in a two-door coupe, but wants the great looks and sportiness of a Mustang.? And it would be all Mustang coupe from the doors forward, on the same wheelbase, and exactly the same length (no effin' stretching as so commonly dilutes utility derivatives of coupes).? Roof racks would not be an option--if you need a roof rack, get an SUV....
No no no no no no no no no no no no!!!  There is no quicker way to destroy a muscle car icon then to make a wagon out of it, especially if the car will look exactly the same from the doors forward.  Now, having owned a couple Mustangs, I would argue that it is impossible to make a wagon out of a Mustang without stretching the wheelbase and overall length because the back seats already sit between the wheels and there is only 6" between the front and rear seats, and behind them is a small trunk.  If Ford wants to build to build a wagon and/or sedan on the same platform that's been modified to accomodate those bodystyles with design cues that strike a family resemblance but do not look the same and do NOT have the name "Mustang" on it anywhere, then I would be for it. 

AutobahnSHO

I agree that a 4-door or wagon "Stang" would rock, but DO NOT try to call it a Mustang or market it as such.
I like the "falcon" ideas, or how about a new "SHO"??      :rockon:
Will