Update on my new ride

Started by Car Zeus, December 17, 2006, 04:30:26 PM

Raghavan

Quote from: M_power on January 17, 2007, 05:15:28 PM
What's with your new little "QFT" thing?
Quote for truth.
His way of post whoring.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

TheIntrepid

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

S204STi

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 16, 2007, 01:23:57 PM
It's all right. The all-seasons it came with are SHIT in the snow though. I want to get X-Ice tires like I put on my Intrepid ... but that'll wait till next winter.

Personally I am digging my Blizzak WS-50s.

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 16, 2007, 01:23:57 PM
It's all right. The all-seasons it came with are SHIT in the snow though. I want to get X-Ice tires like I put on my Intrepid ... but that'll wait till next winter.

You don't need snow tires fro a car like that. As long as the allseasons aren't bald they're plenty.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ro51092

S204STi

Sorry guys but I disagree.  Tires make all the difference in the snow/ice.

Raghavan

Well, he doesn't even want to drive his 'sports car' Camry outside in the rain, so he doesn't even need snow tires.
:huh:

JYODER240

Quote from: R-inge on January 17, 2007, 10:29:33 PM
Sorry guys but I disagree.? Tires make all the difference in the snow/ice.

They do but they're not neccasary on a Camry that has all-seasons. Especialy when he claims it doesn't even get driven in the rain/
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Yeah, because those FWD sedans are so hard to handle in the snow. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Sorry guys but I disagree.? Tires make all the difference in the snow/ice.

+1.

I do a fair amount of driving in snow and ice and a FWD car w/all seasons is at best 20% as effective as a FWD car w/snows.

I use studs on the Accord.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on January 18, 2007, 09:12:29 AM
+1.

I do a fair amount of driving in snow and ice and a FWD car w/all seasons is at best 20% as effective as a FWD car w/snows.

I use studs on the Accord.

I never had trouble getting anywhere in the Passat in some really bad snow, except for on really, really steep inclines.  But I also had 195 width MXV4s, which don't have remarkable dry traction anyway.  I wonder how my Potenzas will be when it gets bad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SJ_GTI

Well we are getting our first snow of the year right now.

I still have summer rubber on my GTI (actually I don't plan to put winter tires on ever...at least not in NJ), we'll see how it goes on the way home.  :pullover: :lol:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=6780.msg339417#msg339417 date=1169137085
I never had trouble getting anywhere in the Passat in some really bad snow, except for on really, really steep inclines.? But I also had 195 width MXV4s, which don't have remarkable dry traction anyway.? I wonder how my Potenzas will be when it gets bad.

You know, when I had my Z3 in NJ I never put winter tires on that. I bet the Porsche would do reasonably well in normal winter weather.

Raza

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 18, 2007, 03:42:53 PM
You know, when I had my Z3 in NJ I never put winter tires on that. I bet the Porsche would do reasonably well in normal winter weather.

It's the ground clearance more than anything that would inhibit the Boxster.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

I'm all for snow tires too.  Having had my car through winters with and without them, it's a huge difference.  It's doable without snow tires, but it's a worthy expense IMO.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on January 18, 2007, 09:54:17 PM
I'm all for snow tires too.  Having had my car through winters with and without them, it's a huge difference.  It's doable without snow tires, but it's a worthy expense IMO.

If it's doable without them, what makes it a worthy expense over all seasons?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

The Pirate

Quote from: Raza on January 19, 2007, 05:13:55 AM
If it's doable without them, what makes it a worthy expense over all seasons?

Because braking and handling are profoundly better with them.  General all around stability is greatly increased.  It is basically the difference between being able to drive 65 mph on a snowy highway with complete control or barely maintaining 45 mph and sliding all over the place.  It's hard for me to explain (good thing I'm not a tire salesman), but it truly is a night and day difference.

You wouldn't run basic all seasons on the track, would you?  It makes no sense to subject them to the other end of the spectrum either.  All seasons are basically 3 season tires, designed for economy and longevity.  The don't really excel at anything, but are passable in most conditions.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SaltyDog

Snow tires are only necessary if you live in a place that gets a lot of snow.  I only get snow 2 or 3 times per year, so I don't bother.

imo

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

The Pirate

Quote from: SaltyDog on January 19, 2007, 10:15:21 AM
Snow tires are only necessary if you live in a place that gets a lot of snow. I only get snow 2 or 3 times per year, so I don't bother.

imo

I agree there.  We get an average of ~91 inches of snowfall yearly though, so it's a worthy expense under those conditions IMO.

J86

Yeah, I should probably get snows, but can't afford them.

Well, this winter, I probably won't need them!

My tires are notably awful when it's not dry pavement, however.

The Pirate

I'm rocking shitty all seasons currently too, no money in the budget this winter unfortunately.

Catman

I agree with you Roy. I have Michelin Latitude x-Ice on my Sequoia.  Moving forward is one thing, turning and stopping are another.   :nono:

TheIntrepid

My mom primarily drives the Toyota now (through rain, snow, everything) and she's a horrible driver. She always ends up spinning out and nearly missing something... though she hasn't hit anything yet. We just want to get snow tires to ensure her safety. Screw the car, it's a lease anyway.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SaltyDog

Quote from: J86 on January 19, 2007, 10:31:33 AM
Yeah, I should probably get snows, but can't afford them.

Well, this winter, I probably won't need them!

My tires are notably awful when it's not dry pavement, however.

I think it's going to stay cold from now on and snow like a mofo.  We just had that wierd weather pattern and a gradual transition into winter, I think.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: The Pirate on January 19, 2007, 10:00:29 AM

You wouldn't run basic all seasons on the track, would you?

I have! :praise:

You make do with what you have. Snow tires are a luxury, not a necessity.

J86

Quote from: SaltyDog on January 22, 2007, 10:04:40 AM
I think it's going to stay cold from now on and snow like a mofo.? We just had that wierd weather pattern and a gradual transition into winter, I think.

I know...very exciting!  It JUST got cold a coupla days ago...some snow on the ground...hopefully skiing this weekend!

The Pirate

I'm leaving to ski in about 30 minutes.  :praise:

J86

The Pirate

Oh, just some nordic skiing up at the local state park.  They actually groom about a 25 mile network of trails and there is definitely some elevation changes, so it's still fun.  I just got new XC skis too.  They are backcountry skis, with metal edges and some sidecut, so I'll still be able to make some turns.  There is a ski resort about 20 minutes away from me though, and it's fairly decent.

http://www.holidayvalley.com