2008 Chevrolet Malibu! *(Now fully naked...)*

Started by gasoline, December 18, 2006, 09:57:19 AM

93JC

Quote from: gasoline on December 28, 2006, 04:46:55 PM

Oooh... daddy like...

I'm surprised how much I like this. I still don't particularly care for the front end, but as Nick pointed out it does scream "CHEVROLET!", which GM has had an awful habit of not doing (see Impala/Monte Carlo, current Malibu pre- and post-facelift, 2003-2006 Aveo, Optra (5 moreso than sedan and wagon), Cavalier).

I like the flat back end. The sharper, abrupt end makes it seem more... I don't know, 'traditional'? It gives it more of a 'three-box' sedan feel, which most new sedans since the '96 Taurus don't give off. Take a Camry as an example: its lines give it a featureless blob look. Like the original clay model was never really styled at all: like Toyota just skipped that part of the design process and called it a day.

This... this looks like someone put some thought into it, whether you particularly care for the cues or not.

It seems long and wide as well, which is good.

traumadog

One thing I think noone's said that really should be said...

... is that the Malibu looks nothing like the G6/Aura (which if you squint, do have a resemblance).
My Cardomain pages...
My 2004 VY/VZ Conversion (1 of < 889...)
My 1981 Eldorado Diesel <-- slower, but smokier
The wife's 2002 Trailblazer EXT

gasoline

-----------------------------------

sportyaccordy

ARRGGHHH WHY SO BIG???

And I see a LOT of Buick and Acura TL. This gets the thumbs DOWN.

gasoline

Quote from: sportyaccordy on December 28, 2006, 09:54:40 PM
ARRGGHHH WHY SO BIG???

And I see a LOT of Buick and Acura TL. This gets the thumbs DOWN.
???
The pictures? The car?

The Pirate

I do like it.

I think it'd look a lot better with a dual exhaust.  The lower black cutout on the back is vaguely reminscient of the SVT Contour imho.

I agree gasoline, GM takes poor press photos, and their color choice for photo car is questionable.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Danish

Wow...

The front, with that terrible nose just makes me wanna puke. It seems like they were on the verge of greatness with the rear end and then somehow messed up in the end because I can see something great lurking behind the rear end. I kind of like it but I kinda hate it too.... :huh:
Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

gasoline

ifcar

Very slick. They abandoned those ridiculous chrome-plated wheels, which is a definite improvement in looking upscale.

omicron

FIU Panther

I really need to see it in person but so far the front end is not really doing it for me. I feel the grill is a bit too aggressive for the overall shape of the car.
2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

nickdrinkwater

sportyaccordy

ifcar

The Impala is going to move to RWD and become a sportier and pricier model, so the Malibu has to absorb the current Impala customers who like a bigger car.

SJ_GTI

I am digging it. I think the Aura is a bit nicer looking oin the outside, but I like the Malibu's interior better.

ifcar

I'm worried that if they have a gray interior the passenger-side dash will look awful, but it otherwise looks very nice to me. I agree that the Aura exterior looks better as it is, but if they fixed the Malibu rear end I'd prefer it. It should be a success and a very capable car.

gasoline

SJ_GTI

Quote from: gasoline on December 29, 2006, 08:05:46 AM
It is.

Interior passenger room mybe, the I bet the Impala's trunk space is much bigger (which is really why most people/fleet buy them is my guess).

ifcar

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 29, 2006, 08:29:42 AM
Interior passenger room mybe, the I bet the Impala's trunk space is much bigger (which is really why most people/fleet buy them is my guess).

The new version may bring it pretty close.

VetteZ06

Quote from: gasoline on December 28, 2006, 11:54:08 PM
Upper-level trim:

Wow. That looks indescribably better than the red car in earlier photos. I really, really like this picture. :ohyeah:

One thing's for sure, though - it looks quite sophisticated. Not like something you'd find on rental lots everywhere.

Catman

Quote from: VetteZ06 on December 29, 2006, 05:40:13 PM
Wow. That looks indescribably better than the red car in earlier photos. I really, really like this picture. :ohyeah:

One thing's for sure, though - it looks quite sophisticated. Not like something you'd find on rental lots everywhere.

Gray = good :ohyeah:

the Teuton

Gray does make that car look a lot better.  I want to see it in person for a real impression, but for some odd reason GM has yet to hire any photographers that compliment the design of their cars.  Why do so many of the photos suck?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

tool

Overwhelmed as one would be placed in my position
Such a heavy burden now to be the one
Born to bear and read to all the details of our ending
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen...? -mjk

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ifcar on December 29, 2006, 07:15:46 AM
The Impala is going to move to RWD and become a sportier and pricier model, so the Malibu has to absorb the current Impala customers who like a bigger car.

Ah ok. That's actually not too bad of a plan. If they can beat the Crown Vic at it's own game with a 21st century chassis they will have a winner on their hands.

However, now what will fill the gap between the Cobalt and the Malibu?

ifcar

Corolla, Camry, Avalon lines up with Cobalt, 08 Malibu, 09 Impala.

Car Zeus

ro51092

SVT666

The exterior design does nothing for me, which is better then the old design which made me want to run over it with my truck.  :evildude: