What brake pads are best?

Started by 280Z Turbo, December 20, 2006, 05:24:08 PM

280Z Turbo

UPDATE:

My dad and I started working on the rear drums today. We rebuilt the cylinders, but I'm not sure if I should replace the hardware.

The springs are really rusty and old, but is it a good idea to replace them? My dad thinks they're fine, but since I'm replacing everything else, what's another $20.95? Should I replace the springs, pins, shims, etc?

I've also decided to get stainless steel brake hoses since mine are pretty old and the rubber is split open. They are $67 from Motorsport.

S204STi

I replace the hardware, but usually it is included with the rear shoes.

But if your dad is spending the money...let him make the call. :lol:

The Pirate

I'd replace the hardware as well, if only for the sole fact that if one of those springs craps the bed in the next couple of months, you don't want to  pulling apart your brakes again so soon.  In the grand scheme of things, $20 for a spring kit isn't a bad deal at all.

Let us know what you think of the steel brake lines too, I might be putting those on my car come nice weather.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

280Z Turbo

Nope. I pay the bill.

I didn't get that with the shoes. I'm a little concerned as I found one of my springs disconnected from the shoe and the shoe was just dragging on the drum, but my dad thinks he may have just installed it wrong last time we were in there.

I don't know much about metallurgy (yet) but it seems to me 30 years and tons of corrosion can make springs wear out.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 20, 2006, 06:01:22 PM
I'm also looking at Porterfield front and rear brake pads/shoes in the R-4S compound:

Porterfield R4-S 1976 NISSAN 280Z AP114 $ 69.95 SHOE480 $ 79.95

Good you found that. Porterfield is one of the few companies that makes performance brake shoes.

Hawk HP+ pads bite really good cold and hot, but they might be too much even for the Porterfield shoes. They also make a lot of dust. You don't want really good pads on one end and stock ones on the other... as I found out the hard way when setting up my 91 Civic for autox. I put HP+ pads on the front, and some stock semi-metallic shoes in the rear, and I had mojor problems with locking up the front wheels.

Hawk HPS pads are excellent on a street car. I put a set on the front of my friend's Saturn SL1 (with stock drums in the rear), along with a new set of 195 Bridgestone G009 tires, and I couldn't believe how well that car stopped. It was just awesome, I really couldn't believe that car would have such strong brakes.
It's been about 40,000 miles now, and the pads are only half gone, if that, so they do last long time as well.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

rohan

Quote from: R-inge on January 05, 2007, 01:11:09 PM
Um, PBR calipers for a few dollars?? You already have PBR brake calipers if it's the GTO in your pic.
I was being smartass.? Yes I know it had them but the front two were rusted up and one wouldn't open all the way and the other wouldn't close all the way.   either needed to be rebuilt or replaced so I just replaced them.? I guess I shoulda been more clear sorry. :huh: :( 
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

I've put on about 2500 miles since I got these brakes and I love em.? They don't squeal and make almost no dust on the rims.? Plus I was going slightly? ;)  :rolleyes: above the speedlimit of 55 the other day and had a deer run out and I made a dead stop from _ _ _ mph and they didn't warp or burn the rotors!? If that were a Crown Vic police car I'ld need new brakes now.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

S204STi

Quote from: rohan on January 21, 2007, 09:19:52 AM
I was being smartass.  Yes I know it had them but the front two were rusted up and one wouldn't open all the way and the other wouldn't close all the way.   either needed to be rebuilt or replaced so I just replaced them.  I guess I shoulda been more clear sorry. :huh: :( 

Haha, sorry. :lol:

S204STi

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 20, 2007, 10:36:05 PM
Nope. I pay the bill.

I didn't get that with the shoes. I'm a little concerned as I found one of my springs disconnected from the shoe and the shoe was just dragging on the drum, but my dad thinks he may have just installed it wrong last time we were in there.

I don't know much about metallurgy (yet) but it seems to me 30 years and tons of corrosion can make springs wear out.

All metals have fatigue life, and corrosion with effectively reduce it.

rohan

Quote from: R-inge on January 21, 2007, 09:36:44 AM
Haha, sorry. :lol:
No need to be sorry- I suck at the being funny ovcer the internet thing and should probably stop it! :nono:

~Chief Seattle