C&D: Audi S6 vs BMW M5 (M/T) vs Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG

Started by cawimmer430, December 23, 2006, 05:58:11 AM

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Kayani_1 on December 25, 2006, 09:10:11 AM
I admit my post was far less quality then your "roll eye" post or one sentence post. After all they add so much more quality to the discussion at hand. :evildude:

Don't take it personally... Jordan's cool.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

1 BAD 7

I will look into the weight difference. I know S85 V10 in M5 weighs 525 Ib in dressed form. The V8 in E63 AMG is following in foot steps of high reving concept rather then MB traditional big torque concepts al la E55 AMG. Now the E55 AMG had 510 Ib-ft of torque vs 465 Ib-ft of E63 AMG.  Maybe Cawimmer can provide us with fully dressed weight of AMG V8 in E63 AMG.

Quote from: Catman on December 24, 2006, 09:09:20 PM
Good points!  I can see why the BMW will eventually out run the Merc.  It's the same as a high cadence on a bicycle.  A fast spin uses less energy to maintain speed.  However, it would seem the benefit is on the higher end of the spectrum.  I prefer the opposite.  In F1 the engine speed is great since they're doing 200 mph.  For every day driving I still think I'd prefer the V8 of the Mercedes.  How much lighter is the BMW engine?

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

Andaluz

I reckon Kayani_1 post on the 2nd page was very insightful. He clearly knows what he is on about.  :clap:

JYODER240

Kayani knows what he's talking about but he so blindly follows BMW its pathetic.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Andaluz

Quote from: JYODER240 on December 25, 2006, 10:21:10 AM
Kayani knows what he's talking about but he so blindly follows BMW its pathetic.

In that case...than it's a serious problem.  :rolleyes:

I've had a lot of trouble with blind BMW fans. I once got banned of a forum, simply because I kindly said the BMW 3-Series E90 looks crap. It may be a good car, no doubts about it. Such a shame BMW screwed up the looks in this late 3-Series generation. The previous E36 and E46 were nice and GERMAN looking cars. The E90 looks like a Korean copy of a BMW.

850CSi

Quote from: Andaluz on December 25, 2006, 10:28:06 AM
In that case...than it's a serious problem.? :rolleyes:

I've had a lot of trouble with blind BMW fans. I once got banned of a forum, simply because I kindly said the BMW 3-Series E90 looks crap. It may be a good car, no doubts about it. Such a shame BMW screwed up the looks in this late 3-Series generation. The previous E36 and E46 were nice and GERMAN looking cars. The E90 looks like a Korean copy of a BMW.

BAN HIM PLZ!!!!!!!!!!

:evildude:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Kayani_1 on December 25, 2006, 09:25:54 AM
I will look into the weight difference. I know S85 V10 in M5 weighs 525 Ib in dressed form. The V8 in E63 AMG is following in foot steps of high reving concept rather then MB traditional big torque concepts al la E55 AMG. Now the E55 AMG had 510 Ib-ft of torque vs 465 Ib-ft of E63 AMG.  Maybe Cawimmer can provide us with fully dressed weight of AMG V8 in E63 AMG.

Hey Kayani, it's all cool man.  :mrcool:

I know the M5 V10 has a badass engine sound, I've heard them in real life. But I am sure you'd even agree that in this video, the M5 V10 didn't sound as badass compared to the E63 AMG.
  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Catman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 25, 2006, 12:28:47 PM
Hey Kayani, it's all cool man.? :mrcool:

I know the M5 V10 has a badass engine sound, I've heard them in real life. But I am sure you'd even agree that in this video, the M5 V10 didn't sound as badass compared to the E63 AMG.
? :lol:

Sometimes sound is what matters. :tounge: 

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

850CSi

If I had to have ONE car and had to choose between the bunch, it would be a Graphite/Black 7SMG M5.

And I still don't understand the complaints about i-Drive. It's been out for nearly 6 years now and they still haven't learned to use it?

Colonel Cadillac

However complex and good the M5 engine may be, it still sounds like a Honda. Plus, the high revving with no torque combination is not always fun; I love an engine that will actually pull at all speeds instead of revving into the higher RPM ranges to actually get the car moving.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 850CSi on December 26, 2006, 12:20:24 PM
And I still don't understand the complaints about i-Drive. It's been out for nearly 6 years now and they still haven't learned to use it?

Get a Lexus.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

saxonyron

If I had to have ONE car and had to choose between the bunch, it would be a Graphite/Black 7SMG M5.

And I still don't understand the complaints about i-Drive. It's been out for nearly 6 years now and they still haven't learned to use fixed it?

There.  That's better!  :devil:  :lol:

I've never really used it too much, but the complaints are so universal, from customers to magazines, there must be something about it that needs fixing.  You'd figure that all the technical might of BMW should have been able to at least tweak the system.  I've read a few comparos that had the BMW winning but took 2nd place due to i-Drive frustration.  Where there's smoke there's fire, and BMW is nutty for not snuffing this out before it got out of hand. 

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

1 BAD 7

Thanks for the nice compliments Andaluz that was mighty nice of you.  :ohyeah:

As for his claim that I follow BMW blindly is immature and nothing more then his preconceived opinion/image of me.  He doesnot know me that well and should not pretend otherwise. I dont blindly follow BMW nor any other car maker for that matter. On the other hand I do admire the engineering passion BMW uses to make their cars more soul full and fun to drive. I admire the same passion in Porsche or Ferrari or any other car makers cars that put that extra something in their cars that makes them stand out from the norm.

Besides that Iam a proud owner of BMW cars and I enjoy driving them. Yes I have tendency to stand up for what I believe and I state my opinion about the cars I like. Now if all that translates into me blindly following BMW brand then I cant change few peoples mind set and what they think of me. I have owned many different cars and admire cars from across the spectrum. The funny thing is one of my most favorite car these days is not even from BMW brand so much for following the BMW brand blindly.  Yet certain characters will label you with their preconceived images just because you disagreed with them in certain discussion of cars.

At the end of the day they can call me what they want. But all Iam is just an automotive fanatic to the max and I love all good car and motorcycles.  :partyon: :rockon:

Quote from: Andaluz on December 25, 2006, 10:28:06 AM
In that case...than it's a serious problem.  :rolleyes:

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

Hey Cawimmer there is no doubt that E55 or E63 AMG engines are bad ass period. :rockon: :rockon:

Hell even the V8 engine in my best friends MB SL500 sounds very nice. In that video on the previous page I heard both the engines and I thought they both were real nice and very unique in there own ways. I have also heard M5 V10 engine in person while driving it arround. The M5 engine has a very high pitched growl that comes alive as the rpms climb. I love the high pitched sounds of high reving engines. Man I truly love the sound of super sport class bikes that rev to 13,000 rpms. :wub:

The AMG V8's have more heavy bass and muscle car sort of sound to it which is also sweet. :rockon:

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 25, 2006, 12:28:47 PM
Hey Kayani, it's all cool man.  :mrcool:

www.KayaniTravel.com

dazzleman

I'm a retarded technophobe who can't even manage to figure out how to post a picture online, but I had no trouble learning the I-drive.  If I can do it, anybody should be able to.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MrH

Quote from: Andaluz on December 25, 2006, 09:51:06 AM
I reckon Kayani_1 post on the 2nd page was very insightful. He clearly knows what he is on about.  :clap:

Knows what he's talking about?

You've got to be kidding me.  I refrained from ripping apart his horrible conception of torque in horsepower in the biking example because I thought it was clear he didn't know what he was talking about.  If it's absolutely needed, I'll oblige though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

saxonyron

Quote from: dazzleman on December 26, 2006, 06:43:48 PM
I'm a retarded technophobe who can't even manage to figure out how to post a picture online, but I had no trouble learning the I-drive. If I can do it, anybody should be able to.

I forgot you liked the I-Drive.  And I do know you're not fibbing when you say you're a technophobe (but I wouldn't call you retarded - maybe just mildly challenged. Besides, as Psilos said, it's not nice to use "retarded" as a pejorative! :lol: ), so this must be a case of a few severely technophobic car writers who got frustrated after 10 minutes behind the wheel and condemned the whole thing.  I know when I test drove the A6, the MMI was great in some cases, and in other cases, I was hopelessly lost. But that's the situation with every technological thing. 

When I first got my nav system  on my Palm, the technophobe in me wanted to curse it, but I realized that someone smarter than I designed it and I'd give it a fair chance.  After a few days, it became my best friend with what I now describe as "simple controls" - but they didn't seem so simple at first!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

cawimmer430

Quote from: Kayani_1 on December 26, 2006, 03:28:45 PM
Hey Cawimmer there is no doubt that E55 or E63 AMG engines are bad ass period. :rockon: :rockon:

Hell even the V8 engine in my best friends MB SL500 sounds very nice. In that video on the previous page I heard both the engines and I thought they both were real nice and very unique in there own ways. I have also heard M5 V10 engine in person while driving it arround. The M5 engine has a very high pitched growl that comes alive as the rpms climb. I love the high pitched sounds of high reving engines. Man I truly love the sound of super sport class bikes that rev to 13,000 rpms. :wub:

The AMG V8's have more heavy bass and muscle car sort of sound to it which is also sweet. :rockon:

:praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

850CSi

I don't see what people hate so much about the new M5; I have a soft spot for its predecessor, so I still like the E39 more, but the new one is a better car (besides style, which is subjective). It lost 12lbs and gained 2 cylinders and 100hp.

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: cawimmer430 on December 28, 2006, 11:34:07 AM
The HOTTEST E63 AMG I've ever seen! :rockon:

I don't know; I think Black suits it better, that White would never look clean except for the summer!  Each to their own, though  ;)

cawimmer430

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on December 28, 2006, 11:57:49 AM
I don't know; I think Black suits it better, that White would never look clean except for the summer!  Each to their own, though  ;)

I'm a big fan of white luxury cars. I think white looks good on almost every Mercedes. If I were to get an E63 AMG, it would have to look like the baby above. :mrcool: :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

VetteZ06

Motor Trend did the exact same test this month. The only difference (and it's a big one) is that the M5 had the SMG and not the 6-speed manual. The Audi finished first, followed by the M5, and the E63 brought up the rear.

The Bimmer's acceleration numbers were much better in this test compared to C&D's test, no doubt a result of the SMG. :praise:

Catman

Quote from: 850CSi on December 28, 2006, 12:14:17 AM
I don't see what people hate so much about the new M5; I have a soft spot for its predecessor, so I still like the E39 more, but the new one is a better car (besides style, which is subjective). It lost 12lbs and gained 2 cylinders and 100hp.

I don't know either.  I like the 540 better for some reason. :huh:

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on December 28, 2006, 12:14:17 AM

My car will whup it around a tight track.

Oh my god, I love saying that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.