Quote from: ro51092 on January 02, 2007, 10:24:40 PM
What sounds better, 350"zee" or 350"zed"

Exactly.

Three Fifty Zed :praise:

Raghavan

My grandfather refers to the trunk as a "dicky". :lol:

Raza

Quote from: Raghavan on January 02, 2007, 10:41:07 PM
My dad says 'bloody' and 'queue' a lot too. Also 'lorry'.

Yeah, I say "queue".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: omicron on January 03, 2007, 04:18:23 AM
Three Fifty Zed :praise:
I concur.  I also think Zed Oh Six sounds better then Zee Oh Six.  Same with Zed 28, Zed 4, and Zed 3.

heelntoe

Quote from: Raghavan on January 03, 2007, 05:12:32 PM
:lol:
i say dicky too, but our current car doesnt have one. :lol:
@heelntoe

The Pirate

Yes!  My car has a dicky!

:praise:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

ChrisV

Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Zee rhymes with the other letters in the ABC song, and sounds closer to the actual letter as used in a word. So that' swhy Americans say Zee (plus, as with all Webster's simplifying of the language/spelling, it was partially to differentiate it from the British usage). It also came over with the first English settlers as Zee, which then became obsolete in England, but stayed with us here in the colonies.

I can't say Zed without thinking it's some hillbilly's name.

Of course, we could flip English speakers shit for changing it from the original greek/latin zeta.   :evildude:
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ChrisV on January 04, 2007, 10:55:11 AM
Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead.

Zee rhymes with the other letters in the ABC song, and sounds closer to the actual letter as used in a word. So that' swhy Americans say Zee (plus, as with all Webster's simplifying of the language/spelling, it was partially to differentiate it from the British usage). It also came over with the first English settlers as Zee, which then became obsolete in England, but stayed with us here in the colonies.

I can't say Zed without thinking it's some hillbilly's name.

Of course, we could flip English speakers shit for changing it from the original greek/latin zeta.   :evildude:

It's Zed, not Zee  ;)

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

MX793

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 08:04:29 AM
I concur.  I also think Zed Oh Six sounds better then Zee Oh Six.  Same with Zed 28, Zed 4, and Zed 3.

But 300 "Zed Ex" sounds retarded.

I will admit that there is one nice aspect to saying "Zed" instead of "Zee".  Over the phone, "Zee" sounds a lot like "See" (C), which can lead to confusion.  If somebody says "Zed" when spelling out a word over the phone, you won't confuse it for another letter.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TheIntrepid

I say 300 Zed Ex... Zed oh six... but the 350 is a Zee.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Michael Estorol

reminds me of a radio phone-in I heard 20-odd years ago, when a caller was asked about his favourite music:

" uh, I really like Zed Zed Top..."

ro51092

Quote from: Raghavan on January 03, 2007, 05:12:32 PM

Most people from India do.

heelntoe

^^ because boot doesnt seem right in vernacular conversation. imagine someone saying open the dicky and open the boot.
@heelntoe

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

I still say "zed".

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT_Power

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

ro51092

Quote from: Raza on January 04, 2007, 02:53:37 PM
I still say "zed".

That's because you are a weird British-wannabe  :ohyeah: :lol:

SVT666

SaltyDog

Quote from: Michael Estorol on January 04, 2007, 01:33:58 PM
reminds me of a radio phone-in I heard 20-odd years ago, when a caller was asked about his favourite music:

" uh, I really like Zed Zed Top..."

:lol:

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on January 04, 2007, 11:17:07 AM
But 300 "Zed Ex" sounds retarded.

I will admit that there is one nice aspect to saying "Zed" instead of "Zee".  Over the phone, "Zee" sounds a lot like "See" (C), which can lead to confusion.  If somebody says "Zed" when spelling out a word over the phone, you won't confuse it for another letter.

I notice when talking about cars, I readily say "Zed", but when I am talking about other things, I hesitate for a moment and then say "Zee" so I don't have to repeat myself to people.  My street address has a z in it, and I always have to spell it out to people.  I switch between the two.  Just like route...I say "rowt" when I am just saying the word, but "root" when I say "Route 1" or "Route 66". 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TheIntrepid

For me it depends on what I'm talking about. There are no basic rules which explain in when I say Zed and when I say Zee.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

SVT666

I say "zee" only when talking to an American client who says, "What?" everytime I say Zed.  Same thing goes for parkade and parking garage.

Rupert

I kinda like zeta... :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2007, 01:40:34 AM
I say "zee" only when talking to an American client who says, "What?" everytime I say Zed.  Same thing goes for parkade and parking garage.

There was a scene in Due South where Fraser could tell what keys Ray was typing, and he would correct him.

"That's a zed."
"What's a ZED!?"
"A zee!"

It's funnier when you watch the show.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

So Raza when are we going to see more pics?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

Are those Continental ContiSportContact 2's? How do you like them?
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

I have Continentals on my bike.  :praise:

Watch out, my bike now has something in common with a Porsche!
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 06, 2007, 10:16:58 AM
Are those Continental ContiSportContact 2's? How do you like them?

They've been fine so far.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i