Well...

Started by Raza , December 27, 2006, 07:16:38 PM

Raza

I'm not talking low mileage.  I'm talking first year, high mileage.  I think the E34s are a little too old for me to have as a low-worry daily driver. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: Raza on January 07, 2007, 07:46:29 PM
I'm not talking low mileage. I'm talking first year, high mileage. I think the E34s are a little too old for me to have as a low-worry daily driver.

Aren't you worried about people driving the hell out of them...aka putting to much wear and tear on the engine?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Colonel Cadillac

I bet you could get a good E39 M5 for 30K in 08.

Submariner

You can find 50,000 some-odd mile vehicles for around 30k or so.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on January 07, 2007, 07:47:32 PM
Aren't you worried about people driving the hell out of them...aka putting to much wear and tear on the engine?

Not on an M5. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Hay Raza,

Congratulations on that beautiful new ride. One of the most fun to drive and best handling cars out there. Truly an enthusiast's choice. I *almost* got one instead of my M3. It was a truly tough decision. In the end I got the M3 because I could use it more often (more practical, less flashy) here in Mexico City. I'd be too scared in the Boxster (b/c of crime).

But as an enthusiast car, I give it to the Boxster. Glad you got the S, the base Boxster might be a bit lacking in power. Are you planning to track it? I certainly would. No mods necessary on your car.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 09, 2007, 10:22:57 PM
Hay Raza,

Congratulations on that beautiful new ride. One of the most fun to drive and best handling cars out there. Truly an enthusiast's choice. I *almost* got one instead of my M3. It was a truly tough decision. In the end I got the M3 because I could use it more often (more practical, less flashy) here in Mexico City. I'd be too scared in the Boxster (b/c of crime).

But as an enthusiast car, I give it to the Boxster. Glad you got the S, the base Boxster might be a bit lacking in power. Are you planning to track it? I certainly would. No mods necessary on your car.

Thanks!

The Boxster has almost as much power as the old 986 S, so it's not really underpowered, but I do love the extra power of the S.  I will track it, but not for some time.  I want to get more used to the car on the open road, and then track it.  It really does take time to learn your car.  It really is an amazing car.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=6929.msg329658#msg329658 date=1168406994
Thanks!

The Boxster has almost as much power as the old 986 S, so it's not really underpowered, but I do love the extra power of the S.? I will track it, but not for some time.? I want to get more used to the car on the open road, and then track it.? It really does take time to learn your car.? It really is an amazing car.

That is wise. Whenever you get a more powerful/faster car, I agree you have to take your time to learn its limits. I was very careful with the M3 the first few months, to the extreme of sometimes parking it for a few days to "cool myself".

An interesting related anecdote: When Porsche first arrived in Mexico (about 10 years ago), my dad worked at the first dealership. Out of the first 10 cars sold (all 911 variants), 6 were TOTALED within 6 months. The owners just seemed to believe these were "magic" cars that could do anything.

I have tracked three times now in the M3, (once in a small track and twice in the larger Autodromo). Frankly, I have kept DSC on since I don't feel I am a good enough driver (yet) to approach a turn at 140 mph and brake hard to take a right hander at 40mph at the limit. I will turn it off eventually, but when I feel really confident that I wont end up against the wall. On the last track session, a guy totaled a Ford GT which served as a good reminder to be cautious.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on January 10, 2007, 12:25:29 PM
That is wise. Whenever you get a more powerful/faster car, I agree you have to take your time to learn its limits. I was very careful with the M3 the first few months, to the extreme of sometimes parking it for a few days to "cool myself".

An interesting related anecdote: When Porsche first arrived in Mexico (about 10 years ago), my dad worked at the first dealership. Out of the first 10 cars sold (all 911 variants), 6 were TOTALED within 6 months. The owners just seemed to believe these were "magic" cars that could do anything.

I have tracked three times now in the M3, (once in a small track and twice in the larger Autodromo). Frankly, I have kept DSC on since I don't feel I am a good enough driver (yet) to approach a turn at 140 mph and brake hard to take a right hander at 40mph at the limit. I will turn it off eventually, but when I feel really confident that I wont end up against the wall. On the last track session, a guy totaled a Ford GT which served as a good reminder to be cautious.

Yeah, you've got to be careful with these cars.  The limits are so high that you can forget that you're the weak link of the car/human relationship (most of the time).  I've had the E320's rear switch places with the front enough times (once, actually, but that's enough) for me to realize that I had to find places to make sure I know the limits of a car before I can push it beyond its limits.  I've been driving a moderately powered FWD car for the past two years, and even though that's a great car and loads of fun, and great to drive (I mean, it's fun, rewarding, it handles great, it's really wonderful), but it's so different than a mid engined sports car, so I've got to learn it.  If we'd gotten something like a Z4, the transition would be easier, since I'm used to front engine, RWD cars.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

It probably took me about a month to get comfortable enough to really push my Z. It took until about 2 months ago to do it with the VDC off.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

The Pirate

Hahah, you guys and your crazy performance cars.  My car is so slow and underwhelming that I can drive it at 10/10ths with one hand.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT_Power

Quote from: The Pirate on January 10, 2007, 02:55:08 PM
Hahah, you guys and your crazy performance cars.  My car is so slow and underwhelming that I can drive it at 10/10ths with one hand.

Not really something to be proud of :lol:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

1 BAD 7

Yeah I know many indian people that call their trunks "dicky". I think it is a British thing or maybe Iam wrong. :partyon: :partyon:

Quote from: Danish on January 06, 2007, 08:38:40 PM
My parents do the same

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

1 BAD 7

Yeah yeah yeah I know......tell me something new :rolleyes: ....................like can I borrow it for the weekend :lol:

Quote from: Raza  on December 31, 2006, 08:44:52 AM
Thanks man.  Sweet is a great word to describe it.  It's like candy that won't rot your teeth and is more addictive than heroin, crack cocaine, and Eva Longoria combined.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com