2008 Viper

Started by gasoline, December 28, 2006, 08:35:22 AM

TheIntrepid

Okay come on guys... my Intrepid's a sports car...right? :P

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on January 12, 2007, 05:16:24 PM
So just because another's definition is different, it's better than mine?

I know you're not really that slow.

Raza

Yeah, I saw a Trailblazer SS running around today, just carving up corners.  That's one hell of a sports car.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ChrisV

Quote from: Raza  on January 12, 2007, 05:25:21 PM
Yeah, I saw a Trailblazer SS running around today, just carving up corners.  That's one hell of a sports car.

Well, it's quicker and corners better than a stock MGB, so it MUST be. I mean, definitions apparently have to change in order to match the flavor of the day, right?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

TheIntrepid

Quote from: ChrisV on January 16, 2007, 09:00:57 AM
Well, it's quicker and corners better than a stock MGB, so it MUST be. I mean, definitions apparently have to change in order to match the flavor of the day, right?

Yup. My mom's Camry SE V6 is a hardcore sports car too. :rockon:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

ChrisV

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 16, 2007, 09:06:21 AM
Yup. My mom's Camry SE V6 is a hardcore sports car too. :rockon:

So's ifcar's Kia Sedona. I mean, it's quicker and probably handles better than my Fiat, which is a sports car, so it must be one, too.

SVT666

southdiver1

Quote from: ChrisV on January 16, 2007, 09:40:42 AM
So's ifcar's Kia Sedona. I mean, it's quicker and probably handles better than my Fiat, which is a sports car, so it must be one, too.

Oh...not THIS again......
I came into this world kicking, screaming, pissed off, and covered in someone elses blood.
If I do it right, I will leave this world in the same condition.

ChrisV

Quote from: southdiver1 on January 16, 2007, 09:45:36 AM
Oh...not THIS again......

I didn't start it. But if you have the right to state it, I have the right to respond. Can you respond with logic, or are you limited to emoticons? This is apparenlty important, or so many people wouldn't argue it on so many automotive forums.

Definitions are important. It's how we communicate. And according to some, ANY car could be called a sports car. I'm simply responding to that.

Eye of the Tiger

My truck is a sports car too.
Two seats (or three in a pinch, but a McLanren F1 has three too, so...)
Open top (in the back)
Big ole engine
Ummm... independant front suspension!
What's you're point? :rolleyes:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on January 16, 2007, 09:51:26 AM
I didn't start it. But if you have the right to state it, I have the right to respond. Can you respond with logic, or are you limited to emoticons? This is apparenlty important, or so many people wouldn't argue it on so many automotive forums.

Definitions are important. It's how we communicate. And according to some, ANY car could be called a sports car. I'm simply responding to that.
I said definitions change.  Definitons do change for many words.  With the lines between classes of cars blurring more and more every year, definitions must change and new definitions must be invented.  What is a crossover without a new definition?  What is a Z06 that is a far more hardcore sports car then a Vette vert without a new definition, because to me it's not a GT.  The Z06 and Viper GTS have nothing in common with a proper GT like an Aston Martin except that it has a fixed roof.  Otherwise, they're pure sports car.  The lines are very blurry.  Obviously, definitions are not as important to me as they are to you.  You are the one losing your cool and saying that a minivan is a sports car if a Z06 is a sports car.  When you lose your cool you act just like my 15 year old nephew.

ifcar

Quote from: ChrisV on January 16, 2007, 09:40:42 AM

I should hope that the Fiat handles much better than the 4,700-lb Sedona.

And again, you're either willfully misreading the opposing viewpoint or just refuse to read it. No one is suggesting that there should be no definition, or that it should be as inclusive as a minivan with a big engine. As Hemi said, definitions change, and a reasonable standard can be applied that strikes a middle ground between forty-year-old racing definitions and all-inclusive.

Raza

Definitions can change, if there's a reason for them to.  However, being a GT is not an insult.  My favorite car is a GT, and even though it's may favorite, you'll never see me call it a sports car.  It's got a tin top and four seats.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

The archaic definitions put the definition based on seats and the roof, while a more realistic definition splits the difference into cars with biases towards either sport or cruising/touring. You know, like the names.