C&D Family Sedan Comparo

Started by VetteZ06, December 28, 2006, 01:57:21 PM

ifcar

From what I was seeing, it's available on some 07-model cars, but only ones they've already built.

GoCougs

If I had to do it all over again, the Accord wouldn't have made it on the short list.

My '05 Accord has loads of interior quality issues, and brake feel is lousy as is performance (as evidenced by the tester's last place braking finish).

pommes-t

:confused:Isn't the Sebring a brand new car? On the last place?  :huh:

Damn, Chrysler engineers must have been smoking a lot of weed lately...

ifcar

Except for the Accord, they're all new.

pommes-t

Quote from: ifcar on December 29, 2006, 05:31:58 AM
Except for the Accord, they're all new.

Ouuups. Yeah... American market. I mixed up the Optima with our Opirus...

The Accord only got a facelift I guess?

omicron

Honda Accord.......oh for goodness sake.

MX793

Quote from: pommes-t on December 29, 2006, 08:02:04 AM
Ouuups. Yeah... American market. I mixed up the Optima with our Opirus...

The Accord only got a facelift I guess?

The Accord is unchanged.  It was included because it won their last midsize sedan comparo.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FIU Panther

The Accord keeps coming out on top even though it's been out for years. When this new one comes out it should destroy the competition if infact Honda decides significantly improve upon what it currently has out. I hope though the sheetmetal is one of the main things they focus on.

The points on the Aura having a cheap interior I don't see. I sat in one in the Auto Show and I felt it looked amazing. Maybe I'd have to live in one for a few days to notice, or maybe I just don't feel up interiors like the editors but I thought it was more than adequate. I'm coming though from a Dodge Intrepid and it just might be my point of refrence.
2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL

giant_mtb

See what happens when you compare the base models?  Toyota doesn't completely dominate.

VetteZ06

Quote from: FIU Panther on December 29, 2006, 09:32:41 AM
The points on the Aura having a cheap interior I don't see. I sat in one in the Auto Show and I felt it looked amazing. Maybe I'd have to live in one for a few days to notice, or maybe I just don't feel up interiors like the editors but I thought it was more than adequate. I'm coming though from a Dodge Intrepid and it just might be my point of refrence.

Did you sit in an XE or an XR? I've generally heard positive things about the XR's interior, with a few cheap bits being mentioned here and there, but in many cases the cheaper models (like the XE) have lesser interiors.

It still boggles my mind that GM knows how to make a killer interior, but refuses to put one in a car as important as the Aura. :huh:

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 29, 2006, 09:36:30 AM
See what happens when you compare the base models?  Toyota doesn't completely dominate.

Toyota doesn't dominate with the top-end models either.  At least not in the major enthusiast mags like C&D, R&T and MotorTrend.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: FIU Panther on December 29, 2006, 09:32:41 AM
The Accord keeps coming out on top even though it's been out for years. When this new one comes out it should destroy the competition if infact Honda decides significantly improve upon what it currently has out. I hope though the sheetmetal is one of the main things they focus on.

The Accord will no doubt continue to be one of the most expensive cars in its class, so the redesign probably won't shake up the market too much. If they soften up the ride and bloat up the interior, they'd probably take some Camry sales, but I don't think that's what they want.

The Pirate

I'm not optimistic about the next Accord's styling.  The Civic has gotten progressive uglier with each redesign (imho), same with the CR-V and the Ridgeline is just plain homely.

My favorite Accord was the '96-97 followed by the 80's one with the pop up headlights.  The newer Accords aren't monstrosities, but they are getting a bit more awkward with each redesign (again, my opinion).

Regardless of looks, I'm sure the new one will be a competent car.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Raza

Quote from: The Pirate on December 29, 2006, 03:09:13 PM
I'm not optimistic about the next Accord's styling.  The Civic has gotten progressive uglier with each redesign (imho), same with the CR-V and the Ridgeline is just plain homely.

My favorite Accord was the '96-97 followed by the 80's one with the pop up headlights.  The newer Accords aren't monstrosities, but they are getting a bit more awkward with each redesign (again, my opinion).

Regardless of looks, I'm sure the new one will be a competent car.

There was one that looked really good a couple of years ago (probably circa 2000) and then after that.... :cry:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

93JC

Quote from: The Pirate on December 29, 2006, 03:09:13 PM

Best one is still this one:

Especially the wagon:

TheIntrepid

I think that C&D is overly biased towards Hondas. I was hoping for a comparo of these new midsize sedans. The Accord is the most dated one, the one with the most boring styling, and the one with the most 'blah' interior. Of course my latter two points are a matter of opinion. I guess I'll wait for my issue tomorrow to see what their excuse was this time.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

the Teuton

But you can't ignore the fact that the Accord is really that good.  Other than the Passat, I still haven't found a family car out there with a truly better interior than the Accord.  Not the mixed-bag Camry, Hyundai Sonata, or any others.  While I haven't gotten to check out the Aura in person yet, it would be really hard to make a better overall car than the Accord, which is generic enough to be inoffensive and has enough character to make it stand out.

Just look at the interior of an EX-L plus navigation and tell me it's not the best in class for around 30 grand for a real mid-sized family car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Maxxum

Quote from: the Teuton on December 29, 2006, 09:19:21 PM

Just look at the interior of an EX-L plus navigation and tell me it's not the best in class for around 30 grand for a real mid-sized family car.
In fact it is less than that. The EX-L Navi has a MSRP of $24550+dest and real life price os $24550. The fully loaded Accord V6 with Navi has an MSRP of 29,400 plus destination (so you are right, it goes up to 29995), however carsdirect sells it for $27,324 in my zip code. I still happen to think that it looks good, though most people either find it ugly or boring. It handles well for a big family sedan, has enough power and the interior still is among the best if not the best, after almost 5 years of introduction. It is priced high because of Honda's policy of clubbing together the features. I guess it saves them money but as long as they are investing it in the car itself, it is good. I do have small complaints like the interior rattle (they replaced the radio and the rattles got worse) and occasional smell from the catalytic converter filling up the cabin.
(\__/)     
(='.'=) << One day I will rule the world!         
(")_(")

AKL

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2006, 11:33:12 PM
If I had to do it all over again, the Accord wouldn't have made it on the short list.

My '05 Accord has loads of interior quality issues, and brake feel is lousy as is performance (as evidenced by the tester's last place braking finish).

My Accord to actually has interior issues. It has this rattle in the dash that is incredibly annoying. Since one of my friend works for Honda, I may ask if he can get it checked out for free.

Well it's been a solid sedan otherwise.
---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

ro51092

Quote from: AKL on December 30, 2006, 12:06:11 PM
My Accord to actually has issues. It has this rattle in the dash that is incredibly annoying. Since one of my friend works for Honda, I may ask if he can get it checked out for free.

Well it's been a solid sedan otherwise.

My TL had a new rattle every 2nd day. I just gave up on it, considering some pieces didn't even fit together.

AKL

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 12:07:51 PM
My TL had a new rattle every 2nd day. I just gave up on it, considering some pieces didn't even fit together.

Little off topic but hows the A4? Interior quality should be flawless  :ohyeah:

---------------------
---------------------

ro51092

Perfect. I am in love with the whole car. I like the switchgear a lot, everything fits well together, the car has an awesome sound system, and it just feels expensive. I love how VW and Audi pay attention to small details.

AKL

Quote from: ro51092 on December 30, 2006, 12:22:06 PM
Perfect. I am in love with the whole car. I like the switchgear a lot, everything fits well together, the car has an awesome sound system, and it just feels expensive. I love how VW and Audi pay attention to small details.

That's great to hear!  :ohyeah:

I've always loved how the A4 looks, inside and out.
---------------------
---------------------

gasoline

I have a question: Where is my issue?
-----------------------------------

gasoline

Quote from: GoCougs on December 28, 2006, 11:33:12 PM

C/D loves the Accord. I was going to win. It probably deserved it too. Imagine what will happen when the new one comes out!
Why people pick the Camry over it is a big mystery.

ifcar

It's bigger, more comfortable, more powerful with the V6, and quieter.

VetteZ06

GoCougs

Quote from: gasoline on December 30, 2006, 01:03:25 PM
C/D loves the Accord. I was going to win. It probably deserved it too. Imagine what will happen when the new one comes out!
Why people pick the Camry over it is a big mystery.

Now that I own an Accord, IMO I have some context into the "mystery." The Camry is (much) quieter and smoother riding, and has at least equal if not better reliability and resale track record. The '07 adds more power, 6sp AT, and better fuel economy.

If I had to do it again, the old '06 Camry V6 SE would've been the better choice IMO, let alone the '07 V6 SE. What originally swayed me was that I liked the Accord's seats and its additional power over the '06 (albeit with just a smidge of an acceleration advantage).

gasoline

Quote from: ifcar on December 30, 2006, 01:23:45 PM
It's bigger, more comfortable, more powerful with the V6, and quieter.
Funny. My aunt has a 2004 Accord and when I asked her why she didn't get a Camry, she said she thought it was too loud.
I never looked to see if it was a 4 or 6 cylinder.
She did love the Mazda 6 though. She said she wanted one. She thought it looked really good--and she's a CR True Believer (TM).

TheIntrepid

As much as everybody hates the Camry... it's still America's bestselling sedan. Why?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]