Behind the wheel the new Dodge is a true Charger

Started by BMWDave, June 06, 2005, 11:19:50 AM

Raza

QuoteBleh, whatever...just my opinion.  B)
What you buy this car if it was available with a manual?
:blink:  Do you mean "would" instead of "what"?  If so...yes I might consider buying it...but...I could spend thousands less, have the same amount of seats, and go much faster with an STi.  :rolleyes:
I don't know about thousands less...
The Charger Daytona R/T (the one we're talking about) starts at 32,495.  ;)   So I was mistaken...but for the same price I can knock off almost a whole second to 60 mph with the STi and have much better handling and assurance in any weather...

For those reasons, I'd take an STi.
The Daytona's a special edition with a stupid paint job.

Do you drive exclusively in rain?

I love the STi, but it would be a cold day in hell if I bought one over a Dodge Charger SRT-8 with a 6 speed manual.  Or even better, a Charger SRT-10 with the Viper engine and trans.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

:blink:  Do you mean "would" instead of "what"?  If so...yes I might consider buying it...but...I could spend thousands less, have the same amount of seats, and go much faster with an STi.  :rolleyes:
The Charger Daytona R/T (the one we're talking about) starts at 32,495.  ;)   So I was mistaken...but for the same price I can knock off almost a whole second to 60 mph with the STi and have much better handling and assurance in any weather...

The Daytona's a special edition with a stupid paint job.

Do you drive exclusively in rain?

I love the STi, but it would be a cold day in hell if I bought one over a Dodge Charger SRT-8 with a 6 speed manual.  Or even better, a Charger SRT-10 with the Viper engine and trans.
No, but I live in the snow belt.  ;)

And...the SRT-8 doesn't come with a 6-speed manual...does it?  <_<

A Charter with a Viper engine would be cool, I will admit that.  :o  

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

You just proved my point, most true enthuisists would take a STi, Evo, or even a G35 over a Charger simply because they offer better performance and a fair amount of practicality.  

Raza

You just proved my point, most true enthuisists would take a STi, Evo, or even a G35 over a Charger simply because they offer better performance and a fair amount of practicality.
Come on--the STi and the Charger have nowhere near the same demographic.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

That is my point, Evo buyers prefer a stick, Charger buyers don't.  

mazda6er

QuoteCome on--the STi and the Charger have nowhere near the same demographic.
Oh, don't go there, TBR probably still thinks the A3 and A4 have the same demographic. :lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

That's not anywhere near true.  (Well, near).  But if you look at even Corvettes, they sell more automatics than manuals.  A lot more.  I don't think I've ever seen a manual Vette on the streets, and I see 20 of them a day.  Evo buyers want a rally car, not a muscle car.  That's what it boils down to.  For 7 thousand less than a well equipped 330i, you can get an STi that is a much better performer.  That doesn't mean they compete, nor are they often cross shopped (I wouldn't say never, however, since I personally am cross shopping these two models--both on my short list--but we've all agreed I'm a far cry from the average consumer) since they appeal to different demographics.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteCome on--the STi and the Charger have nowhere near the same demographic.
Oh, don't go there, TBR probably still thinks the A3 and A4 have the same demographic. :lol:
They are in the same demographic, to an extent.  Just as an E55 AMG is in the same demographic as an S500.  It forces a decision based on values (here, sport vs. prestige, with the A3/A4 situation, utility/sport vs. luxury/homogeny/practicality)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

That's not anywhere near true.  (Well, near).  But if you look at even Corvettes, they sell more automatics than manuals.  A lot more.  I don't think I've ever seen a manual Vette on the streets, and I see 20 of them a day.  Evo buyers want a rally car, not a muscle car.  That's what it boils down to.  For 7 thousand less than a well equipped 330i, you can get an STi that is a much better performer.  That doesn't mean they compete, nor are they often cross shopped (I wouldn't say never, however, since I personally am cross shopping these two models--both on my short list--but we've all agreed I'm a far cry from the average consumer) since they appeal to different demographics.
I am no quite sure what point you are trying to make. The Charger is a muscle car and therefore most buyers will prefer an auto. The Evo is a modern sports/rally sedan and therefore most buyers will prefer a manual. That is my point, most people that will seriously considering a Charger won't want a manual.

Raza

I am no quite sure what point you are trying to make. The Charger is a muscle car and therefore most buyers will prefer an auto. The Evo is a modern sports/rally sedan and therefore most buyers will prefer a manual. That is my point, most people that will seriously considering a Charger won't want a manual.
That may be the point you're trying to make, but the point you are making is that "people who want a muscle car don't want a rally car"...and with that, I agree.  Otherwise, no.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

That may be the point you're trying to make, but the point you are making is that "people who want a muscle car don't want a rally car"...and with that, I agree.  Otherwise, no.
I have never said that, but I have said that the people that want a manual equipped sports sedan will be looking at something smaller and lighter, such as an Evo, STi, or G35.

Raza

I have never said that, but I have said that the people that want a manual equipped sports sedan will be looking at something smaller and lighter, such as an Evo, STi, or G35.
Or an M5?  None of these cars are light, Tim, so let's not even make that an applicable argument.  The G35 6MT weighs over 3500 pounds, and the weight of a Charger RT is ~4000.  5000 pounds is a big difference, but neither of these pigs is a lightweight.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Or an M5?  None of these cars are light, Tim, so let's not even make that an applicable argument.  The G35 6MT weighs over 3500 pounds, and the weight of a Charger RT is ~4000.  5000 pounds is a big difference, but neither of these pigs is a lightweight.
So you are telling me that you think there will be a considerable number of people that choose not to buy a Charger because it is auto only? Not likely. The Charger is a great car, but it really isn't a sports sedan.  

Raza

A considerable number?  My guess is around 10%.  But then again, I'm sure the STi turns away 90% of potential buyers by being manual only.  

Having a considerable number of the hoi polloi is not anything of which to be particularly proud.  I mean, these are the people that buy Camrys.  Enthusiasts are a rare breed, and the more they are ignored, the more they'll move away from new car sales, and start buying real cars (you know the ones that didn't weigh two tons and had manual transmissions and were built 30 years ago).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteA considerable number?  My guess is around 10%.  But then again, I'm sure the STi turns away 90% of potential buyers by being manual only.  

Having a considerable number of the hoi polloi is not anything of which to be particularly proud.  I mean, these are the people that buy Camrys.  Enthusiasts are a rare breed, and the more they are ignored, the more they'll move away from new car sales, and start buying real cars (you know the ones that didn't weigh two tons and had manual transmissions and were built 30 years ago).
I think your way off on this one, maybe 5% at the most but almost certainly not even that many.  

Raza

QuoteA considerable number?  My guess is around 10%.  But then again, I'm sure the STi turns away 90% of potential buyers by being manual only. 

Having a considerable number of the hoi polloi is not anything of which to be particularly proud.  I mean, these are the people that buy Camrys.  Enthusiasts are a rare breed, and the more they are ignored, the more they'll move away from new car sales, and start buying real cars (you know the ones that didn't weigh two tons and had manual transmissions and were built 30 years ago).
I think your way off on this one, maybe 5% at the most but almost certainly not even that many.
Roughly 10% of cars are sold with manual transmissions.  It jumps to 15% if you are talking about Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteA considerable number?  My guess is around 10%.  But then again, I'm sure the STi turns away 90% of potential buyers by being manual only. 

Having a considerable number of the hoi polloi is not anything of which to be particularly proud.  I mean, these are the people that buy Camrys.  Enthusiasts are a rare breed, and the more they are ignored, the more they'll move away from new car sales, and start buying real cars (you know the ones that didn't weigh two tons and had manual transmissions and were built 30 years ago).
Roughly 10% of cars are sold with manual transmissions.  It jumps to 15% if you are talking about Ferraris and Lamborghinis.
That number doesn't mean jack in this situation, in most cases the Charger won't appeal to people that want a manual simply because it isn't really a sporty car.  

Raza

That number doesn't mean jack in this situation, in most cases the Charger won't appeal to people that want a manual simply because it isn't really a sporty car.
I think it is.  Besides, many economy cars are sold with manual transmissions.  The purists will want a manual in everything they drive.  And besides, offering it as a special order option won't cost too much money (I think Mercedes should do this as well).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I think it is.  Besides, many economy cars are sold with manual transmissions.  The purists will want a manual in everything they drive.  And besides, offering it as a special order option won't cost too much money (I think Mercedes should do this as well).
Economy cars are sold with manuals because manuals are cheaper and more fuel efficent than autos, that isn't a concern when you are talking about a $30,000 car. Most sports car purists won't even give the Charger a second glance and muscle car purists prefer autos. I agree that a manual would be nice, but I don't think it would be cost effective.  

Raza

Economy cars are sold with manuals because manuals are cheaper and more fuel efficent than autos, that isn't a concern when you are talking about a $30,000 car. Most sports car purists won't even give the Charger a second glance and muscle car purists prefer autos. I agree that a manual would be nice, but I don't think it would be cost effective.
That's a conflict of the business models.  It's the sound economic short run plan, but in the long run, I think it may hurt them.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I disagree with that, the people that would choose a stick would only decrease as the hype wears away.

Raza

I disagree with that, the people that would choose a stick would only decrease as the hype wears away.
I think you just disagreed with yourself.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

In what way?  

Raza

In what way?
You quoted yourself and said "I disagree"...

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

QuoteYou quoted yourself and said "I disagree"...
Sure enough, but I think you probably figured out what I meant anyway.  

Raza

It's more fun to exploit your superficial errors.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

I suppose and it does seem like I have been making a lot of them lately.  

Raza

I suppose and it does seem like I have been making a lot of them lately.
It's what keeps me going.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

:lol:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer