Jeremy Clarkson Tests the New BMW 335i

Started by cawimmer430, January 02, 2007, 07:31:50 AM

Tave

Quote from: The Pirate on January 03, 2007, 03:23:20 PM
According to the BMW Canada site, it's $49,900 for the sedan and $51,600 for the coupe verson of the 335.

Still, $68K is a lot more.

$51,600 is without any options, tax, title, or delivery. I just visited the same site and built my own 335 coupe, optioned out, and it stickered for $66K. Add everything else, and it would be way over $68K.

Let's face it guys, the guy bought his car for the same price as everyone else does. It's not like he got ripped off or anything; he paid what it costs.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

SVT666

Oops.  My mistake.  I thought I saw the prices listed as exactly the same.

SJ_GTI

FYI, cars tend to be much more expensive in Canada. I paid over 50k CAD for an A4 1.8T Quattro a couple of years ago (after taxes and such, and it was about 2k off sticker). Another 18k for a fully loaded 335i sounds about right.

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 03, 2007, 04:46:22 PM
FYI, cars tend to be much more expensive in Canada. I paid over 50k CAD for an A4 1.8T Quattro a couple of years ago (after taxes and such, and it was about 2k off sticker). Another 18k for a fully loaded 335i sounds about right.
Very true.  When our dollar dropped to $0.63 American our car prices skyrocketed so that the manufacturers were making enough.  Now that our dollar is worth $0.88 (or whatever it is) the prices didn't come down to match the exchange rate and cars can cost as much as 20% more here after the exchange rate is factored in.

Rupert

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 03, 2007, 08:37:28 PM
Very true.  When our dollar dropped to $0.63 $0.063 American our car prices skyrocketed so that the manufacturers were making enough.  Now that our dollar is worth $0.88 $0.088(or whatever it is) the prices didn't come down to match the exchange rate and cars can cost as much as 20% more here after the exchange rate is factored in.

More like it!

;) :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 03, 2007, 08:37:28 PM
Now that our dollar is worth $0.88 (or whatever it is) the prices didn't come down to match the exchange rate and cars can cost as much as 20% more here after the exchange rate is factored in.

Maybe that's true with other models or manufacturers, but the difference between the American 335 coupe and the Canadian is only 8%.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Lebowski

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 03, 2007, 04:46:22 PM

What's to stop anyone from buying a car from the states?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on January 04, 2007, 08:25:01 AM
What's to stop anyone from buying a car from the states?

Not much.

You do have to own the car free and clear (ie have the title). They will charge you taxes when you impoirt it though. For Montreal sales tax was around 15% when I bought my A4. I think its about 14% now. There are probably some other import taxes and such as well.

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 04, 2007, 08:58:36 AM
Not much.

You do have to own the car free and clear (ie have the title). They will charge you taxes when you impoirt it though. For Montreal sales tax was around 15% when I bought my A4. I think its about 14% now. There are probably some other import taxes and such as well.
Duty as well.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 04, 2007, 08:10:08 AM
Maybe that's true with other models or manufacturers, but the difference between the American 335 coupe and the Canadian is only 8%.
BMW 335i in US ($40,600 USD) = $47,389 CDN
BMW 335i in Canada = $51,900 CDN

To buy a base 335i in Canada is 9.5% higher.

Mustang GT in US ($25,625 USD) = $29,910 CDN
Mustang GT in Canada = $33,800

To buy a base Mustang GT in Canada is 13% higher.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 10:37:12 AM
BMW 335i in US ($40,600 USD) = $47,389 CDN
BMW 335i in Canada = $51,900 CDN

Mustang GT in US ($25,625 USD) = $29,910 CDN
Mustang GT in Canada = $33,800

To buy a base Mustang GT in Canada is 13% higher.

I don't know where you are getting your rates from, and it isn't a huge difference, but the number I got for an American ($40600) 335 in Canadian dollars is $47,816.65. Also, the base MSRP of a 335 coupe in Canada is $51,600. It was mentioned before on this same thread and comes directly from BMW's own Canadian website. It's indisputable. If you do the math with those figures, it comes out to a 7.4% difference.

Do you have any examples of cars that cost 20% more in Canada than they do in the U.S.?

And really, it doesn't surprise me that the Mustang is much cheaper in America than Canada, considering it's an American product. It should be cheaper here. I think the Bimmer is more indicative of the price disparity, because it's an import in both countries.

For reference, here is the exchange calculator I used:

http://finance.yahoo.com/currency

It claims that my rate is today's current rate.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 04, 2007, 10:50:49 AM
I don't know where you are getting your rates from, and it isn't a huge difference, but the number I got for an American ($40600) 335 in Canadian dollars is $47,816.65.
The exhcnage calculator I used claims today's rates as well ($500 on this much money ain't much)

QuoteAlso, the base MSRP of a 335 coupe in Canada is $51,600. It was mentioned before on this same thread and comes directly from BMW's own Canadian website. It's indisputable. If you do the math with those figures, it comes out to a 7.4% difference.
You're going to nitpick over $300 on $50,000?  Fine, but it still works out to 7.9%.

QuoteDo you have any examples of cars that cost 20% more in Canada than they do in the U.S.?
Not at the moment, because I'm not going to calculate the differences for every single car.  The 20% figure was listed in an article in our local paper.

QuoteAnd really, it doesn't surprise me that the Mustang is much cheaper in America than Canada, considering it's an American product. It should be cheaper here. I think the Bimmer is more indicative of the price disparity, because it's an import in both countries.
How far away do you think Canada is?  We pretty much share an economy, and we may as well share a currency like Europe does.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 11:10:35 AM
The exhcnage calculator I used claims today's rates as well ($500 on this much money ain't much)

The rate I have is $1 USD = $1.1777 Canadian. Like you said, it's close enough to not matter.

QuoteYou're going to nitpick over $300 on $50,000?? Fine, but it still works out to 7.9%.

Which is the figure I originally gave. I was under the impression that it was you who was nitpicking, because after I said:

the difference between the American 335 coupe and the Canadian is only 8%

You responded:

That said, it seems like I am arguing that the price difference is relatively small, while you are arguing that it is relatively significant (up to 20%). A figure skewed upwards supports your point instead of mine, and since that figure was wrong, I felt the need to point out the error.

QuoteNot at the moment, because I'm not going to calculate the differences for every single car.? The 20% figure was listed in an article in our local paper.
How far away do you think Canada is?? We pretty much share an economy, and we may as well share a currency like Europe does.

I sure as hell don't want to share currency with Canada if it will devalue the U.S. dollar, which is probable, considering Canadian money is worth? less. I also don't want Canada to piggy-back the U.S. economy just because it's a "close" neighbor. As I see it, we would be doing most of the work, and Canada would share the rewards.

The question of distance as it relates to imports/exports is incidental, other than in regards to transportation costs. Canada shouldn't enjoy a duty-free relationship with the U.S. just because it's near. Soveirgn borders are just that, even when they happen to be common ones.

IF Canada had an automotive industry, I would expect its cars to be much cheaper in Canada than in the U.S. That's just how it works.

The Pirate

I'm all for Canadian/US currency, that way I can carry loonies around with me.

:lol:
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

You do realize that not too long ago Canada's dollar was worth more then yours?  If the US economy continues the current trend and the national debt keeps climbing (especially with the war in Iraq), and our debt keeps dropping and the world demands for our oil reserves keep increasing, your dollar value will be below ours again soon enough.  Of course, this could all change if Canadians are stupid enough to vote the Liberals back in again (which we are).

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 11:40:08 AM
You do realize that not too long ago Canada's dollar was worth more then yours?? If the US economy continues the current trend and the national debt keeps climbing (especially with the war in Iraq), and our debt keeps dropping and the world demands for our oil reserves keep increasing, your dollar value will be below ours again soon enough.? Of course, this could all change if Canadians are stupid enough to vote the Liberals back in again (which we are).

Of course the strength of an economy is not soley determined by the exchange rate of its currency, and I only used it as an example because that's the figure we were discussing.

I think anyone would be willing to admit that in an EU-type merger of the U.S. and Canada, Canada would be getting the better deal. When you "stack the chips" of the two economies, the U.S.'s pile is significantly higher. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that a Canadian would want to combine the two, and play the same hands.

Why would the U.S. want to model its economy after the EU? That entity was created to give Europe more power in the global theatre. For all the U.S.'s problems, we still have an economy that competes well in that arena. We don't need such a relationship.

Tave

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 11:10:35 AM
We pretty much share an economy,

I think that statement is erroneous. I think the fate of the Canadian economy is tied much closer to the fate of the United State's economy than vice versa.

Lebowski

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 11:40:08 AM
You do realize that not too long ago Canada's dollar was worth more then yours?? If the US economy continues the current trend and the national debt keeps climbing (especially with the war in Iraq), and our debt keeps dropping and the world demands for our oil reserves keep increasing, your dollar value will be below ours again soon enough.? Of course, this could all change if Canadians are stupid enough to vote the Liberals back in again (which we are).

Not sure what you mean by "not too long ago" - the last time the CAD$ was worth more than the US$ was 1976.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Lebowski on January 04, 2007, 12:04:14 PM
Not sure what you mean by "not too long ago" - the last time the CAD$ was worth more than the US$ was 1976.

HEMI666 is 87 years old. To him that wasn't too long ago.  :evildude:

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on January 04, 2007, 12:03:53 PM
I think that statement is erroneous. I think the fate of the Canadian economy is tied much closer to the fate of the United State's economy than vice versa.
True, but we are YOUR largest trading partner too.

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on January 04, 2007, 12:04:14 PM
Well in the grand scheme of things, that's not too long ago.  The point I was trying to make is that things don't stay the same forever.  Things change, and there will be a time when the US will be asking for one currency across North America. 

The Pirate

Canada has lots of oil, maybe will invade you guys next!  :lol:

I jest, but I'm sure the thought has seriously crossed somebody's mind at some point...
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 04, 2007, 12:15:47 PM
HEMI666 is 87 years old. To him that wasn't too long ago.? :evildude:
Man, not too long ago Canada burned down the White House and kicked your collective American asses...in the war of 1812. :evildude:

1 BAD 7

He does make bit of sense to me. I think BMW styling is never been overly flashy or too exotic. For its price you would expect far more flashy and exotic styling. But that is not what BMW is about. The BMW cars look modern and sporty but not flashy or exotic. The interior is always top quality with great materials and simple modern sporty look but once again it is not flashy.

But then BMW buyers are ok with it. They know their cars might not be the most flashy but they still are a blast to drive.

For great deals on all your traveling/entertainment and automotive [Nissan, Chrysler, Dodge] buying needs visit.

www.KayaniTravel.com

JYODER240

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 01:11:42 PM
Man, not too long ago Canada burned down the White House and kicked your collective American asses...in the war of 1812. :evildude:

Want a rematch?  :devil: :tounge:
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

r0tor

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 01:11:42 PM

yet, we have hot girls in bikini's laying on the beach and you have polar bears... wonder what happened  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on January 05, 2007, 06:11:42 AM
yet, we have hot girls in bikini's laying on the beach and you have polar bears... wonder what happened? :lol:

Actually one of the few things about Montreal I miss are the hot girls. Montreal has some of the sexiest girls on the planet IMHO.

SVT666

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 05, 2007, 12:11:59 AM
Want a rematch?? :devil: :tounge:
Sure, but let's put them on skates and give them hockey sticks.

Tave

Quote from: The Pirate on January 04, 2007, 01:11:11 PM
Canada has lots of oil, maybe will invade you guys next!? :lol:

I jest, but I'm sure the thought has seriously crossed somebody's mind at some point...

Not mine, but I've thought about giving them North Dakota.

omicron

To buy a 330i sedan in Australia (because we don't yet have the 335i) costs US$76,843, which is 89% more than a US 335i sedan at $40,600.

:(