Are these the new Chrysler minivans?**Updated again with real-life pics**

Started by gasoline, January 03, 2007, 09:19:30 AM

Atomic

Quote from: the Teuton on January 03, 2007, 06:21:49 PM
Looking at it again, I still don't like it, but I do want to see it in person before I make final judgments.

let's keep in mind -- they are minivans  :huh:, not sports cars  :lol:!

mazda6er

Quote from: Atomic on January 03, 2007, 06:26:37 PM
let's keep in mind -- they are minivans  :huh:, not sports cars  :lol:!
Doesn't mean they have to be ugly.  :ohyeah:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Atomic

i think they look hot for a minivan. however, i respect your opinion.

are you in the market for a minivan  :confused:? just curious...

nickdrinkwater

If they're basically the same vehicle what's the point in two different versions?

ifcar

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 03, 2007, 06:34:32 PM
If they're basically the same vehicle what's the point in two different versions?

None. But they have two sets of dealerships, and both want a minivan.

Right now, the Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan and the Chrysler Town & Country are ranked 1 and 2 respectively on the (total) sales charts, so I suppose people really have a preference between the two grilles.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on January 03, 2007, 06:40:15 PM

Right now, the Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan and the Chrysler Town & Country are ranked 1 and 2 respectively on the (total) sales charts, so I suppose people really have a preference between the two grilles.

When you buy one over the other, you are buying an image; either luxury or rugged van that can take a beating from a young kid.  While they're the same, you have to admit that those two distinct images come to mind when the two vans come up.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

VetteZ06

Same deal with the Silverado and Sierra. Similar trucks (not as similar as these vans, but very similar nonetheless), but both sell in large quantities.

nickdrinkwater

Or just go to the nearest dealer, if there are the same amount of dealers....

I just don't see why they make them so similar.  How can either brand build up its own identity when you can get exactly the same car with a different badge anyway?  It wouldn't matter so much with one model (ie Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra) but I understand this isn't the first time Chrysler have done this?  They could at least differentiate them a little...

Two more questions:

Which version is going to be sold in Europe?
What is the name for the Dodge version - is it Voyager as well?

Thanks.

93JC

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 03, 2007, 06:49:38 PM

Probably neither.

QuoteWhat is the name for the Dodge version - is it Voyager as well?

Caravan/Grand Caravan

VetteZ06

What is the name for the Dodge version - is it Voyager as well?

Not sure about the first question, but the Dodge is called the Caravan.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on January 03, 2007, 06:51:34 PM
Probably neither.

You don't think so? Chrysler has always sold the Voyager in Europe, AFAIK it's still on sale and reasonably popular.

nickdrinkwater

Yeah, the Voyager has been sold here since around 1997 IIRC.  It's built in Austria and sells pretty well.  Comes with a diesel, too.

Raghavan

ro51092

Uh, they're minivans, so in other words, I could care less.

Raghavan

Quote from: ro51092 on January 03, 2007, 07:30:18 PM
Uh, they're minivans, so in other words, I could care less.
You mean you couldn't care less, right?

SVT666

Or just go to the nearest dealer, if there are the same amount of dealers....

I just don't see why they make them so similar.? How can either brand build up its own identity when you can get exactly the same car with a different badge anyway?? It wouldn't matter so much with one model (ie Ford Galaxy/VW Sharan/Seat Alhambra) but I understand this isn't the first time Chrysler have done this?? They could at least differentiate them a little...
In Canada the Town & Country is sold only as "Loaded".  You can't buy a base Town & Country.

Catman

I agree with Ifcar regarding the belt line.  That's one reason I kind of like the Honda with its low look.  Other than that it's not bad.  I like it better than the current bloated one.

ifcar

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 03, 2007, 07:47:57 PM
In Canada the Town & Country is sold only as "Loaded".  You can't buy a base Town & Country.

In the US, you can buy a base or loaded version of either car. Maybe that will change with this generation, but neither dealer will want to risk losing sales.

gasoline

-----------------------------------

SVT666

Wow.

I also heard that there will be an optional built-in diaper changing station.  I wonder if Stow'n Go is dead with those reversing captain's chairs in the middle row.

SVT666

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 04, 2007, 09:47:50 AM
Wow.

I also heard that there will be an optional built-in diaper changing station.? I wonder if Stow'n Go is dead with those reversing captain's chairs in the middle row.
Oops, my bad.  I see the storage compartments in the floor.

The Pirate

I'd much rather have stow and go than all that fancy crap inside.

Hell, I've actually thought about buying a minivan, I could really use the space.   :mask:

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

gasoline

Quote from: The Pirate on January 04, 2007, 09:49:19 AM
I'd much rather have stow and go than all that fancy crap inside.

Hell, I've actually thought about buying a minivan, I could really use the space.   :mask:

It still has Stow-n-Go.
What they need is a turbocharged four-cylinder two-mode hybrid model.

the Teuton

Wow.  Chrysler is really upping the ante in the minivan segment.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

gasoline

Quote from: the Teuton on January 04, 2007, 10:08:42 AM
Wow.  Chrysler is really upping the ante in the minivan segment.
And they're powered too:

Also this:

SVT666

WOW.  Chrysler is gonna kick ass with this van.  Too bad, it's not better looking.

VetteZ06

As far as minivans go, that is a really cool interior. I like the blue lighting - very nice. It also looks ergonomically sound, which is necessary for a good minivan.

I was expecting more of the same from Chrysler (cheap interior, doesn't look like they even tried to do any designing inside), but this is a pleasant surprise. I'm skeptical about materials/build quality given Chrysler's recent record, but hopefully they prove me wrong here.

But yes, it looks like Chrysler's done a bang-up job here. The exterior styling is not exactly suited to my tastes, but everything else looks good.

The Pirate

How have Chrysler powertrains been faring recently?? My parents bought bought Chrysler minivans for years (late 80's to mid 90's) but got sick of dealing with problems that they developed.? They have a Chevy Venture right now, and before that had two Oldsmobile Silhouettes, which are all pretty nice vans IMO.? They are very comfortable and great highway vans.? They've piled the miles on with minimal problems too.? The Venture just had a wheel bearing replaced but it's got 75K miles on it (lots of trips taking kids and gear back and forth to university).
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.