Is the Bugatti Veyron too slow for you?

Started by TheIntrepid, January 06, 2007, 01:29:09 PM

TheIntrepid

252+ mph not good enough?

Bugatti's got your car!!!

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Secret Chimp

I'm sure every guy that can afford this car also happens to be an excellent driver :P

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Like I always say, if it doesn't go 300mph, it's junk! Bugatti needs to buckle down and get with the program! :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

How many of these things have they sold, and will a 20 mph top speed increase really help things any in the sales department?  Also, is the 1200 hp model going to be an option or standard across the board?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

giant_mtb

Quote from: the Teuton on January 06, 2007, 02:14:55 PM
How many of these things have they sold, and will a 20 mph top speed increase really help things any in the sales department?  Also, is the 1200 hp model going to be an option or standard across the board?

Veyron - 987 bhp
Veyron GT - 1232 bhp

They're different.

TheIntrepid

SVT666

This is most likely in response to the Saleen S7 TT with 1000 hp that is coming out in the first half of this year.  Steve Saleen is saying 270 mph for that car.

r0tor

that car is so rediculous i don't even care about it
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raghavan

AKL

---------------------
05 Accord EX V6/  07 Santa Fe 3.3 GL
---------------------

Michael Estorol

Quote from: HEMI666 on January 06, 2007, 04:15:59 PM
This is most likely in response to the Saleen S7 TT with 1000 hp that is coming out in the first half of this year.? Steve Saleen is saying 270 mph for that car.

I've asked this before -- what street-legal tyres does Saleen use that are certified as safe by the manufacturer at 250mph+ ?

The Bug uses specially developed michelins which took years (and a LOT of money) to develop; they cost about $5000 each; plus another $10000 each for the special wheelrims incorporating the pressure monitoring & run-flat systems.  Even so, michelin would not guarantee their safety above 255mph which is why the veyron's top speed is electronically limited.  I guess the new GT will be getting an upgrade if it really is going to go faster.

Production capacity is about 70 cars per year and they have a year's worth of advance orders. I heard that if they sell 250 total (projected target was always 300), VWAG will have made a loss on each car of $3 million approx.  Say what you like about the looks, the weight and the 4mpg, this is a VERY thoroughly engineered car.  Gordon Murray hated the idea, then drove one, then bought one.  That's good enough for me.  I hope Mr Saleen has plenty of public liability insurance.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raghavan on January 06, 2007, 06:32:13 PM
Who cares?
Overweight bullet.

You obviously don't know how well this car stops AND handles, do you? 

Submariner

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2007, 08:01:38 AM

There was a video a while back of one of these going against an elise.

needless to say, power was a deciding factor.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

TheIntrepid

Quote from: Raghavan on January 06, 2007, 06:32:13 PM
Who cares?
Overweight bullet.

More like the perfect combination of speed, handling, braking, and weight. The Veyron is the 'ultimate car'.

gasoline

Why yes. Mine was a dog straight from the factory. I was sorely disappointed. :(

rotor
shares my sentiment. It's just crass to me--like it was purpose-built to brag. Not very good-looking or emotionally involving. Additionally, not many people have driven or seen one.
Kind of like an Enzo--after while, what's the point?
It's a pure, soulless engineering exercise.

Give me a Vanquish:

Now that is a car you can love!
-----------------------------------

giant_mtb

One of the braking wings (pops up when you hit the brakes) alone can supply up to .6 g of braking force. 

In handling mode, which is good for up to 233 mph, the corresponding figures are 331 pounds on the front axle and 441 pounds on the rear end. Like the Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, the Veyron is equipped with an air brake. In the Bugatti, however, rear visibility remains intact even when the flap is up. "When you hit the pedal hard at 126 mph plus, the air brake gives 0.6 g of additional deceleration. At the same time, the downforce increases by up to 662 pounds. As a result, the rear wheels can brake harder without approaching lockup," says the chief engineer.

Jeremy Clarkson: "I expected this road rocket to be absolutely useless in the bends but it felt like a big Lotus Elise."

heelntoe

even still, it does nothing for me. i have a poster of it but i would never put it up on my wall next to me McLaren F1 and lambo miura and paul smart replica.
@heelntoe

TheIntrepid

Quote from: heelntoe on January 07, 2007, 10:17:11 AM
even still, it does nothing for me. i have a poster of it but i would never put it up on my wall next to me McLaren F1 and lambo miura and paul smart replica.

Can I have it?

Raza

Quote from: Submariner on January 07, 2007, 09:06:06 AM
There was a video a while back of one of these going against an elise.

needless to say, power was a deciding factor.

As I recall, the Elise was all over the Veyron in the corners.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

I saw a review of the Veyron where they pulled .93g's on a skidpad. Thats horrendus for a car like that. Give me a Carrera GT it's all the supercar I need.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raghavan

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 07, 2007, 08:01:38 AM
I couldn't care less. I want a simple car, like the Elise, not a 4WD Quad Turbo complicated as hell car. Keep it simple and lower the weight. That's also why i like the S7 better than the Veyron. That's a pretty light car (below 3,000) and doesn't have so much crap loaded into it.

heelntoe

Quote from: Raza on January 07, 2007, 10:20:30 AM
As I recall, the Elise was all over the Veyron in the corners.
and the driver was laughing, too.
@heelntoe

heelntoe

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 07, 2007, 10:22:13 AM
I saw a review of the Veyron where they pulled .93g's on a skidpad. Thats horrendus for a car like that. Give me a Carrera GT it's all the supercar I need.
amen to that.
the CGT and the zonda are my favourite supercars.
@heelntoe

heelntoe

@heelntoe

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raghavan on January 07, 2007, 10:31:19 AM
I couldn't care less. I want a simple car, like the Elise, not a 4WD Quad Turbo complicated as hell car. Keep it simple and lower the weight. That's also why i like the S7 better than the Veyron. That's a pretty light car (below 3,000) and doesn't have so much crap loaded into it.

Every car has it's purpose.

TheIntrepid

gasoline

I like the Zonda myself, because it's so "out there".
-----------------------------------

TheIntrepid

Quote from: gasoline on January 07, 2007, 11:41:37 AM
I like the Zonda myself, because it's so "out there".

and the interior looks like a vagina :mask:

SVT666

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 07, 2007, 09:06:53 AM
More like the perfect combination of speed, handling, braking, and weight. The Veyron is the 'ultimate car'.
The McLaren F1 is the ultimate car...this is not.