Official 2008 Lexus IS-F Pictures

Started by Car Zeus, January 08, 2007, 07:36:23 AM

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on January 18, 2007, 04:22:17 PM
autoweek is claiming...

- 0-60 in under 4.9 sec  :ohyeah:
- 200 mph top speed  :ohyeah: :ohyeah:
- less then 1,000 produced for the US  :lockedup:

200mph...I'd love to see how stable it is at that speed.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JYODER240

No way, this thing would proabably need atleast 500hp to reach 200mph.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 18, 2007, 08:55:25 PM
No way, this thing would proabably need atleast 500hp to reach 200mph.

This is the very first 200mph car ever made, with a previously unreachable 400bhp and a never before seen RWD chassis.  The world's first sport sedan.

Another first from Lexus.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

mazda6er

So, word on the street is that Car Zeus is in a Mexican jail.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

JYODER240

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7124.msg340162#msg340162 date=1169179142
This is the very first 200mph car ever made, with a previously unreachable 400bhp and a never before seen RWD chassis.? The world's first sport sedan.

Just the other day the salesmanager at work was saying how the ES350's partial glass roof was a industry first. I later proved him wrong :praise:

ro51092

Raza

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 18, 2007, 09:05:57 PM
Just the other day the salesmanager at work was saying how the ES350's partial glass roof was a industry first. I later proved him wrong :praise:

Yeah.  It's called a sunroof, and the first one was in 1492, slightly before Columbus sailed the ocean blue.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

thewizard16

Quote from: ro51092 on January 18, 2007, 09:09:08 PM
200mph? BULLSHIT.
Lexus wouldn't advertise it if it wasn't capable of doing it, even if it has to be on perfectly flat ground with a 60mph wind pushing the car while being pulled by fighter jets.... The point is, there's SOME condition under which it'll do it, regardless of how ridiculous.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

Quote from: thewizard16 on January 18, 2007, 10:53:55 PM
Lexus wouldn't advertise it if it wasn't capable of doing it, even if it has to be on perfectly flat ground with a 60mph wind pushing the car while being pulled by fighter jets.... The point is, there's SOME condition under which it'll do it, regardless of how ridiculous.

I wonder how high it could hit on a bowl. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

r0tor

Quote from: Raza ?link=topic=7124.msg340162#msg340162 date=1169179142
This is the very first 200mph car ever made, with a previously unreachable 400bhp and a never before seen RWD chassis.? The world's first sport sedan.

there are several 400hp cars that have hit top speeds in the upper 180's and low 190's over the years... and its probably more like 425-450hp
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raghavan

Considering they're only saying it'll do 60 in under 4.9... It's probably geared pretty high, and since it has 8 gears, it can have a ridicoulously tall 7 and 8th gears.

JYODER240

Quote from: r0tor on January 19, 2007, 08:43:04 AM
there are several 400hp cars that have hit top speeds in the upper 180's and low 190's over the years... and its probably more like 425-450hp

This isn't a sports car though, its a sedan. My bet is the Lexus claims it could hit 200mph unlimited but then governs it at 155.

JYODER240

Quote from: Raghavan on January 19, 2007, 09:40:04 AM
Considering they're only saying it'll do 60 in under 4.9... It's probably geared pretty high, and since it has 8 gears, it can have a ridicoulously tall 7 and 8th gears.

Gearing isn't the problem it needs the horsepower to over come the wind resisitance on a sedan at high speeds.

r0tor

you need power, gearing, and aero for top speed...

They definately have the power, they should have the gearing with the 8 speed tranny, so that leaves us to if the aero is up the the task... i'm a bit skeptical but its no where near being too outrageous to believe

On the BMW M speed tv special the M5 hit something like 186mph and was still climbing before hitting traffic on the autobahn... Hans Stuck who was driving claimed somewhere around 200mph was possible  :huh:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MX793

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 19, 2007, 11:02:14 AM
This isn't a sports car though, its a sedan. My bet is the Lexus claims it could hit 200mph unlimited but then governs it at 155.

Nextel Cup cars with restrictor plates only make between 400 and 450 hp and they can hit 190 mph in that state.  They don't have particularly good drag coefficients either (around 0.34, the IS is under 0.30, IIRC).  200 mph out of the IS might be possible, but it's certainly the very upper-most edge of possibility, in my mind.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raghavan

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 19, 2007, 11:03:33 AM
Gearing isn't the problem it needs the horsepower to over come the wind resisitance on a sedan at high speeds.
That's true, i'd expect more like 185 from this car because it has 8 gears.
The EVO IX MR FQ400 tops out at about 175 from its big  boxy body, so with a little more power and 2 more gears, i'd say 185...

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on January 19, 2007, 08:43:04 AM

I was riffing on Lexus's ad strategy that makes it look like they're the ones that come up with everything first.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

Quote from: Raza  on January 19, 2007, 08:52:54 PM
I was riffing on Lexus's ad strategy that makes it look like they're the ones that come up with everything first.
I enjoyed it.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

thewizard16

Quote from: Raza on January 19, 2007, 08:52:54 PM
They're actually quite creative. They use the system of "if it's never been named in this specific way before, we can claim we invented it". It's annoying, but I guess if the potential buyers are gullible enough to believe it, it works.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

AudiMan2001

To be totally honest, it kiijss no more aggressive than Audi's RS4 to me.  I think alot of the ricer comments are because this isn't what we expect to see from Lexus.  To my knowledge, Lexus has never built such an aggressive-looking sedan.  I think that alot of the aggressiveness is because of the color, I think this car would look more "appropriate" in lighter colors, like silver or pearl white.

Now on to performance, it is quite obvious that Lexus had the RS4/E90 M3 in mind.  Technically speaking, it has all the credentials ... 400+ hp V8, 8-speed tranny, RWD ...

Earlier, someone was saying that it is becoming harder and harder to defend traditional manuals.  That echoes my thoughts completely.  The most advanced automatics have rendered manuals almost superfluous and for nolstagia purposes more than anything else.  Lexus doesn't make really good manual transmissions, however they do make really really good automatic transmissions, so in this case, the use of an auto transmission is justified.  In fact, seeing that it has 8 forward speeds, with shifts happening in less than a tenth of a second, and throttle-blipping in manual mode, I think it can provide 95% of the visceral entertainment of a traditional manual.  I would also think that it is highly unlikely that a manual version would be any faster, which used to be the deciding factor not even 5 years ago.

If I had the money, I definitely would have this car on the list of potential sport sedans in the  > $50K bracket.

cawimmer430

There's a rumor flying around that this gussied up Toyota will be limited to 1,000 units only. Is that how they plan to make it more "exclusive"?  :rolleyes:

"Yeah, we can't compete against the image of Audi RS, BMW M and Mercedes AMG, so were just going to limit the Toyota IS to 1,000 units because in our customers mind, this makes them exclusive. Hell, our customers think just because we offer leather seats for $100K less than the Europeans that we're just as pestigeous as the Europeans, image-wise!  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: ro51092 on January 18, 2007, 09:09:08 PM
200mph? BULLSHIT.

Here's a picture of the Toyota IS-F at 200 mph.  :ohyeah:

POS.  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Wow.  I really want a Plymouth Superbird.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

I believe a 5.0L Lexus V8 powered the winning car at the 24hrs of Daytona last weekend  :devil: :lol: :evildude:

JYODER240

To be totally honest, it kiijss no more aggressive than Audi's RS4 to me.? I think alot of the ricer comments are because this isn't what we expect to see from Lexus.? To my knowledge, Lexus has never built such an aggressive-looking sedan.? I think that alot of the aggressiveness is because of the color, I think this car would look more "appropriate" in lighter colors, like silver or pearl white.

It looks like a ricer lowered this car. It looks bad, especially in the rear. The fenders cover the tops of the tires and the tires need to be more flush with the sides of the car. Like the IS250/350 the overall design doesn't flow. Its very aggressive in the front and then it just looks bland and boring in the middle and then an ackward rear. The should pick a theme and then carry it through the entire car so you can see it from every angle.

QuoteNow on to performance, it is quite obvious that Lexus had the RS4/E90 M3 in mind.? Technically speaking, it has all the credentials ... 400+ hp V8, 8-speed tranny, RWD ...

Earlier, someone was saying that it is becoming harder and harder to defend traditional manuals.? That echoes my thoughts completely.? The most advanced automatics have rendered manuals almost superfluous and for nolstagia purposes more than anything else.? Lexus doesn't make really good manual transmissions, however they do make really really good automatic transmissions, so in this case, the use of an auto transmission is justified.? In fact, seeing that it has 8 forward speeds, with shifts happening in less than a tenth of a second, and throttle-blipping in manual mode, I think it can provide 95% of the visceral entertainment of a traditional manual.? I would also think that it is highly unlikely that a manual version would be any faster, which used to be the deciding factor not even 5 years ago.

If I had the money, I definitely would have this car on the list of potential sport sedans in the? > $50K bracket.

Its not a matter of how fast an auto can shift. Its that an auto or even a clutchless manual does provide the same level of involvement for the driver.

Lexus falls down when it comes to making cars that are fun to drive. I don't expect the IS-F to be much different relative to the competition. I think Lexus cares more about making the car look better than the competition when it comes to the stats and not the driving experience.

Guy Legend

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 31, 2007, 03:54:48 AM
Here's a picture of the Toyota IS-F at 200 mph.  :ohyeah:

POS.  :praise:

Down with Lexus.  Long live Mercedes!   :praise:

Raza

Quote from: AudiMan2001 on January 30, 2007, 09:28:16 PM
Earlier, someone was saying that it is becoming harder and harder to defend traditional manuals.  That echoes my thoughts completely.  The most advanced automatics have rendered manuals almost superfluous and for nolstagia purposes more than anything else.  Lexus doesn't make really good manual transmissions, however they do make really really good automatic transmissions, so in this case, the use of an auto transmission is justified.  In fact, seeing that it has 8 forward speeds, with shifts happening in less than a tenth of a second, and throttle-blipping in manual mode, I think it can provide 95% of the visceral entertainment of a traditional manual.  I would also think that it is highly unlikely that a manual version would be any faster, which used to be the deciding factor not even 5 years ago.

Do you know how to tie a tie? 

Do you still wear a clip on?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AudiMan2001

Quote from: Raza  on January 31, 2007, 07:40:02 PM
Do you know how to tie a tie? 

Do you still wear a clip on?

All patronizing comments aside, I think that there are others out there who feel similar.  Perhaps you don't have to deal with traffic congestion, but with my job being in Seattle, it's a daily reality for me.  While I can definitely see the fun with the traditional 3-pedal arrangement, it doesn't outweigh the practicality that a high-performance automatic transmission can provide.  If I was to choose a between a traditional 6-speed manual or the 8-speed automatic on the Lexus IS-F, it would be the automatic, hands down.  Unless, I was filthy rich, and could afford two, which in that case, I could buy one of each.

As to your analogy, there's a saying "Never assume as it can make an ass out of u and me."  I can drive sticks fine, it's just not my preference in day-to-day driving.  Understood?

AudiMan2001

Quote from: JYODER240 on January 31, 2007, 03:26:53 PM
It looks like a ricer lowered this car. It looks bad, especially in the rear. The fenders cover the tops of the tires and the tires need to be more flush with the sides of the car. Like the IS250/350 the overall design doesn't flow. Its very aggressive in the front and then it just looks bland and boring in the middle and then an ackward rear. The should pick a theme and then carry it through the entire car so you can see it from every angle.

Oh I agree, it's definately not the most cohesive design (The IS series overall).  However, it certainly doesn't look any more aggressive than the M5.