The Measure of a Car Company - its Four Cylinder Mid-Rangers

Started by Morris Minor, January 09, 2007, 02:20:03 PM

93JC

Morris Minor

Quote from: ChrisV on January 10, 2007, 11:04:20 AM
So Porsche lacks integrity. Riiight.

Sorry, I disagree with your premeise and your assesment.

Oh, and I loved Triumph, MG, and the like yet their 4 cyls were simple tractor motors. Saabs had integrity in the '60s and early '70s, but they didnt' even MAKE their own motors, using instead engines from Ford and Triumph. For somneone with the Morris Minor handle I'd think you would understand that more than anyone. How do you measure teh integrity of a company like Morgan, who use engines from other sources, and don't DO mainstream sedans?

The measure of a car company is how well it does it's PRIMARY job, not how well it does it's basic cars.
If you check, you'll find that Porsche don't compete in the mid--ranger $20,000 market. Irrelevant.

Who cares where a company sources it's engines? As long as it's a decent car, who cares?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

TheIntrepid

Quote from: mazda6er on January 10, 2007, 04:51:59 PM
I'm stylish mediocrity.

Me too. :praise:

And Ifcar I think V6-LX cars are best at what they're meant to do... get you from Point-A to Point-B.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2007, 04:48:47 AM
What do you think a V6 Charger does better than a Maxima?

The Maxima is sleep inducing.  The Charger has character, is much better looking and is not a Nissan  :devil:

pommes-t

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on January 10, 2007, 05:20:42 PM
I like the Passat a lot, but looking at what else you can get for the money in America, I can see why it gets slagged off a bit.

That doesn't make it a worse car, just means it has different competition.

Even in Europe, the Passat is hardly a bargain anyway.? It's always been a touch classier than the Mondeos and Vectras it competes with, which is reflected in its price.

I don't think anyone could seriously say it competes with the 5 Series and E-Class.

Some carmagazines said so.

Anyways: I think I can agree with what you say.

Vinsanity

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 11, 2007, 08:21:41 AM

And Ifcar I think V6-LX cars are best at what they're meant to do... get you from Point-A to Point-B.

you're going to have to elaborate. some cars use less gas while getting you from A to B, some cars (though not many) give you more room, etc...

so what would make the V6 300/Charger the "best" A-to-B transport?

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on January 11, 2007, 07:44:21 AM
Everything. What do you think it does worse?

Please elaborate. When you're naming specifics, it's pretty difficult to miss indisputables. Acceleration being one, interior space being another, visibility being a third. I'd argue ride, handling, steering feel, interior quality, and refinement as well.

Driven either?

ifcar

Quote from: TheIntrepid on January 11, 2007, 08:21:41 AM

All cars get you where you want to go. What makes the LXs better than anything else?

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2007, 02:16:03 PM
Acceleration being one,

Coupled with montrous torque-steer. Besides, I wouldn't be racing these boulevard cruisers at the drag strip.

Quoteinterior space being another,

I'm baffled you're making this argument. The Maxima has laughably poor room, especially for a car of its size.

Quotevisibility being a third.

I don't think either of them are particularly good.

QuoteI'd argue ride,

:nutty:

Quotehandling,

Quotesteering feel,

I'll give you that one, that old Mercedes rack is gnarly.

Quoteinterior quality,

Quoterefinement

Koko, you're breaking my balls, man. You know I don't like it when you whip out hollow terms that your average car reviewer likes to throw around. I could just as easily say the opposite and there's really nothing you can do to prove me wrong, objectively or subjectively.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on January 11, 2007, 02:24:56 PM
Coupled with montrous torque-steer. Besides, I wouldn't be racing these boulevard cruisers at the drag strip.

Torque steer has been toned down for 07. And you said there were no advantages, and acceleration is clear in favor of the Max. You can't dispute it.

I'm baffled you're making this argument. The Maxima has laughably poor room, especially for a car of its size.

It's not the roomiest large sedan, but it's much more spacious than the Charger, especially in the rear.

I don't think either of them are particularly good.

The LX cars may have the worst visibility of any mainstream sedan. The Maxima's is unobjectionable.

Over the Charger? Without a doubt. It's comparable to the 300, which rides more comfortably than the Charger.

They're both big, heavy cars with little body roll. Neither handle particularly well by any standard except against other large mainstream sedans.

I'll give you that one, that old Mercedes rack is gnarly.

For 07, Charger versus Maxima is no question.

Koko, you're breaking my balls, man. You know I don't like it when you whip out hollow terms that your average car reviewer likes to throw around. I could just as easily say the opposite and there's really nothing you can do to prove me wrong, objectively or subjectively.

All right, how do you wish to explain why you think the Charger is better in every way than the Maxima? I explained what I thought, based on personal experience. You made a ridiculous generalization that you even withdrew later, and declined to answer whether or not you had driven either car.

93JC

I don't wish to explain why I think the 300 (never ever sat my keester in a Charger in a showroom or anything, let alone driven one :lol: You generalized 'LX cars', so every thought I have about them is the 300, which is the only one I have experience in (well, I sat in the Magnum at an auto show, so that's some experience behind the wheel... :lol:)) is better than the Maxima. I don't have to.

I like the 300 more than I like the Maxima. You can't change that. You can't argue that. You can argue it's only my opinion, but it's a statement of fact: I like the 300 more than the Maxima.

I mean, take accleration between the two as an argument. From the numbers, nothing else, the Maxima is quicker. You're right, I can't dispute that.

But, you know what? The Maxima is more unruly under hard acceleration. So I can just balance objective numbers with subjective interpretations and make it even. Boom. Done. They accelerate as well as each other, even though the Maxima accelerates faster.

Or I can just dismiss the point completely. It's my opinion: I don't really need to give a damn about any objective arguments you have for the Maxima and against the LXes. Ergo, no argument at all. Ergo, I like 300 more than Maxima, and there's no Consumer Reports-esque diatribe about 'objective indisputables' that will ever trump that.

Oh, and, did I mention I like the 300 more than the Maxima? Yes? Good. Because I do. :lol:

The Pirate

So, what you are saying is that you like the 300 more than the Maxima?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

VetteZ06

Quote from: The Pirate on January 11, 2007, 03:33:26 PM
So, what you are saying is that you like the 300 more than the Maxima?

That's not what I got from it. :huh:

The Pirate

1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

93JC

It's a difficult concept, I know. I tried to dumb it down for you guys, but I guess it didn't work... :lol: :P

ifcar

"I like the 300 more than the Maxima" is very different fro "I think the 300 is better than the Maxima."

I'm pretty sure I specified Charger earlier, but it doesn't really matter.

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on January 11, 2007, 03:39:55 PM
"I like the 300 more than the Maxima" is very different fro "I think the 300 is better than the Maxima."

No! No different!

I think it's better, therefore I like it more. Same things apply: subjectively I can twist it around any way I want to fit my preferences and biases.

ifcar

93JC

Specifically? Because the Maxima is designed and constructed in such a way that it is worse than the Chrysler 300.

Duh... :rolleyes:

93JC

It looks better and it's more comfortable. That's it, really... :lol:

ifcar

93JC

Aren't you going to rattle off some design critique that objectively proves the 300 looks like a turd compared to the Maxima, and some headroom, legroom, width, etc. dimensions to prove the Maxima is roomier and more comfortable?

ifcar

I think the 300 is better-looking than the Maxima, and interior dimensions are useless. I'd say the Maxima's seats are much more comfortable though.

93JC